• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Velvet Chocolate Cake W/Strawberries

In summary, the conversation discusses a cake recipe made from a new S/S SB. It was made in a stoneware fluted pan and cooked in the microwave. The cake came out nice and neat but was somewhat dry. People enjoyed it and the consensus was that it was not too sweet. It was suggested to use semi-sweet morsels instead of milk chocolate morsels for a better flavor. Duncan Hines
ChefBeckyD said:
Do it as a skillet cake :chef: instead of in the microwave.:yuck:

That is the only magic I know to make this cake edible.......(says the self-avowed cake snob!;) )

If you make it as a skillet cake how long to you bake it and at what temperature? Thanks!

The turtle fudge skillet cake calls for 350 for 30-35 minutes. Mine is normally done BEFORE they call for it. I can't stand overbaked cakes!! I think I do mine for about 25 minutes and then check it...

Thanks Kelly! Is it best if it's served warm or can I make it and then take it to my in-law's later?

You can certainly make it in advance and serve it tomorrow! Everyone will love it!

I just made the Chocolate Velvet cake w/strawberries yesterday for an Easter get together. I had no trouble making the cake (no spills or gloopy chocolate getting everywhere), but I do tend to agree with everyone that it did taste dry. I used Duncan Hines mix, but I'm thinking that there has to be something that can be used to make it moister. The presentation was beautiful though and I had a lot of compliments.

A few simple somethings...
dymplz8 said:
I just made the Chocolate Velvet cake w/strawberries yesterday for an Easter get together. I had no trouble making the cake (no spills or gloopy chocolate getting everywhere), but I do tend to agree with everyone that it did taste dry. I used Duncan Hines mix, but I'm thinking that there has to be something that can be used to make it moister. The presentation was beautiful though and I had a lot of compliments.
I have to say horray! It sounds like you got great reviews! A simple way to add some moisture is to add a drizzle of any flavored syrup just as it comes out of the oven or if it is a layered cake, drizzled right on the layers as you build it. This is why trifle is so moist, layers with pudding and fruit. I would also be sure to check cake at the earliest bake time listed on a recipe/mix. I like the flavored coffee syrups... hazelnut especially. Nobody can pinpoint the flavor but in a good way! That is why Annie's chocolate orange cake is so moist, (see her "yummy chocolate orange cake" thread), the syrup adds moisture and the sugar/juice help retain moisture over time as well. This is a very common thing in bakeries and restaurants. Another tip is to add 1/2 cup of puree of fruit or cooked instant oatmeal. 2-3T of molasses or corn syrup will also act as moiture "sucky-thingies" they absorb moisture from the air. This is why brown sugar is usually used in a chewy cookie-- it contains molasses. This syrup method is why Jello cake is so popular, the moist jello syrup is poured right over the hot cake with toothpick holes in it. It is cooled, -- then topped with a good whip cream... who wouldn't love a moist cake like that? Hope those ideas help.

FOUND A SECRET TO MAKING THIS WONDERFUL!!!!

- Take the recipe, as is in the Season's Best but make these modifications.

1. Add 1 cup of sour cream
2. Use milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet
3. Rather than melting the chips, place them in whole.

(no overflow either when baking in microwave this time)

My cake was amazing, SUPER MOIST and was mouth watering with reviews!!!

(I had made it 2 times previously exactly as written and was very disappointed....overflow, dry..UGh!!.........same cake mix too..)

smilesarepriceless said:
FOUND A SECRET TO MAKING THIS WONDERFUL!!!!

- Take the recipe, as is in the Season's Best but make these modifications.

1. Add 1 cup of sour cream
2. Use milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet
3. Rather than melting the chips, place them in whole.

(no overflow either when baking in microwave this time)

My cake was amazing, SUPER MOIST and was mouth watering with reviews!!!

(I had made it 2 times previously exactly as written and was very disappointed....overflow, dry..UGh!!.........same cake mix too..)

Heather, do you mean use semi-sweet chips instead of milk? The original recipe calls for milk - but I found it to be MUCH better with semi-sweet or dark chips.

It's also much more moist if you make it as a skillet cake instead of a micro-cake.;)

Hey Becky, I meant I used the milk chocolate chips in the recipe instead of the semi-sweet.....and rather than melting the chips, as called for, I left them whole and just stired in the recipe..

I LOVE the marketing of pitching using the microwave, esp. w/ summer coming and that is why I wanted it to work in the microwave, and taste good too!

<h2>1. How do I make the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries from the new S/S SB?</h2><p>To make the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries, you will need the following ingredients: 1 box of chocolate cake mix, 1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1 cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup of melted butter, 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 cup of chocolate chips, and 1 cup of sliced strawberries. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, melted butter, and warm water until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Let the cake cool completely before topping with sliced strawberries.</p><h2>2. Is the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries too sweet or heavy?</h2><p>No, this cake is not too sweet or heavy. The combination of the chocolate cake and pudding mix creates a rich but not overpowering flavor. The addition of sour cream also helps to balance out the sweetness. </p><h2>3. Can I make this cake for a party or show?</h2><p>Yes, this cake is perfect for parties or shows! It looks beautiful and decadent, and is sure to impress your guests. You can easily double the recipe to make a larger cake for a bigger group.</p><h2>4. Can I use fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe?</h2><p>You can use either fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe. If using frozen strawberries, make sure to thaw and drain them before topping the cake.</p><h2>5. Are there any variations for this Velvet Chocolate Cake recipe?</h2><p>Yes, you can customize this recipe by using different flavors of cake mix and pudding mix. You can also top the cake with other types of fruit, such as raspberries or blackberries. For a more indulgent treat, you can also drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the cake.</p>

1. How do I make the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries from the new S/S SB?

To make the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries, you will need the following ingredients: 1 box of chocolate cake mix, 1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1 cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup of melted butter, 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 cup of chocolate chips, and 1 cup of sliced strawberries. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, melted butter, and warm water until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Let the cake cool completely before topping with sliced strawberries.

2. Is the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries too sweet or heavy?

No, this cake is not too sweet or heavy. The combination of the chocolate cake and pudding mix creates a rich but not overpowering flavor. The addition of sour cream also helps to balance out the sweetness.

3. Can I make this cake for a party or show?

Yes, this cake is perfect for parties or shows! It looks beautiful and decadent, and is sure to impress your guests. You can easily double the recipe to make a larger cake for a bigger group.

4. Can I use fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe?

You can use either fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe. If using frozen strawberries, make sure to thaw and drain them before topping the cake.

5. Are there any variations for this Velvet Chocolate Cake recipe?

Yes, you can customize this recipe by using different flavors of cake mix and pudding mix. You can also top the cake with other types of fruit, such as raspberries or blackberries. For a more indulgent treat, you can also drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the cake.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
kspry
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • jenbaez
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies