• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Velvet Chocolate Cake W/Strawberries

In summary, the conversation discusses a cake recipe made from a new S/S SB. It was made in a stoneware fluted pan and cooked in the microwave. The cake came out nice and neat but was somewhat dry. People enjoyed it and the consensus was that it was not too sweet. It was suggested to use semi-sweet morsels instead of milk chocolate morsels for a better flavor. Duncan Hines
pkd09
Silver Member
I made this last night from the new S/S SB. I was totally awesome!!! It looked so nice I had to invite my friends/neighbors over to help try it out. They also loved it. Not to sweet, not to heavy. It looked really decadent. This is a definite for shows. :thumbup:

It's one I'm offering for spring/summer!

Did you make it in the stoneware fluted pan? Was it messy. My team and I made it and at 8 1/2 minutes in the micro. it began to overflow some. The time was supposed to be 9-12 minutes and then the cake was not completely done on top when we turned it out. How did it go for yall?

I cooked mine for 10 minutes in the micro and it came out nice and neat. I did think it was sort of dry though. Maybe it was the mix I bought. Next time I am trying the other brand. Besides being a smidge dry it was delish!

My 9 yr old daughter helped put it together and we had a blast.

My only complaint was the strawberries seemed to slide down the plate and get messy. The plate gets warm from the cake. Maybe next time I'll place it in the fridge for a couple to cool down the chocolate.

Yes, I used the Fluted Pan. I believe I did 12 minutes and it almost spilled over but didn't. The directions say to clean up the edge of the fluted pan before inverting which I did. I love using this piece of stoneware in the summer because it shows how well our pieces work in the microwave. I tell guests that so many times in the summer you would like to bake a cake but don't want to turn on the oven. In 10-14 minutes you can bake that cake. The other recipe in the Fluted Pan my family loves (a recipe I think I got on this web site) is a Kahlua Cake. Chocolate cake mix, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup sour cream (I think) and 3/4 cup Kahlua. After it is inverted and cooled I sprinkle powdered sugar on it. It is truly to die for. Not overly sweet.

what brand of cake mix do you ladies use....just curious

When I made it, I cooked it for 9 minutes, and it wasn't quite done, but by 12 minutes it was. It came up to the top, and got on the edges of the pan, I just cleaned it off. It came out really good. I used Pilsbury cake mix.

Has anyone tried to the cake with regular "semi-sweet" chocolate chips--instead of "milk chocolate" morsels? Just curious if there would be much of a difference. I'm doing it at a show this weekend and just wanted some feedback.

Thanks

We had the cake on Sunday night at our cluster meeting where we tried the new recipes! I'm not much of a sweet eater (I know I'm in the minority here!!!)...but I loved this cake - not too sweet, just right and very pretty! I will definitely be making this at shows!

Duncan Hines cake mixes usually are moist. I haven't tried this cake yet but sounds like I need to!

pletcherdee said:
Has anyone tried to the cake with regular "semi-sweet" chocolate chips--instead of "milk chocolate" morsels? Just curious if there would be much of a difference. I'm doing it at a show this weekend and just wanted some feedback.

Thanks

I like it waaaay better with the dark chocolate chips. I am not a milk chocolate fan at all, and I thought the milk chocolate was just yuck:yuck: But I love the dark chocolate and strawberry combo....next, I'm going to try it with raspberries!

I use semi-sweet morsels a lot here in my baking so I guess I won't buy the milk chocolate morsels just for this. I love milk chocolate so I guess if I bought it for this cake it would never make it in the cake!!!!!!

pamperedharriet said:
I use semi-sweet morsels a lot here in my baking so I guess I won't buy the milk chocolate morsels just for this. I love milk chocolate so I guess if I bought it for this cake it would never make it in the cake!!!!!!

HaHa! I have that problem with the dark chocolate chips...times 3! All of us love the dark chocolate chips, and I'm always pulling down the bag, to find a handful or 2 or 3 missing!

I'm doing this at a show on Saturday. Can't wait. I'll let you know how it goes,. I think everyon will love it.

pamperedharriet said:
Duncan Hines cake mixes usually are moist. I haven't tried this cake yet but sounds like I need to!
I was reading this thread because I made this cake last night in the microwave. I used duncan hines and zapped it at 12 mins. It came out very dry. I figured either it was the cake mix or the long cook time? I noticed the strawberries wanting to slide too. Other than that, the strawberries and chocolate had a very nice flavor.

lissahope26 said:
I was reading this thread because I made this cake last night in the microwave. I used duncan hines and zapped it at 12 mins. It came out very dry. I figured either it was the cake mix or the long cook time? I noticed the strawberries wanting to slide too. Other than that, the strawberries and chocolate had a very nice flavor.
Isn't it 9-12 minutes? I don't have the recipe on hand but you always want to check at the lowest time. The strawberries don't go on the cake but in the middle open area.

I actually had a host not want to make this cake b/c she didn't think the choc. & strawberries would taste good together!!!!

buckeyefan08 said:
I actually had a host not want to make this cake b/c she didn't think the choc. & strawberries would taste good together!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Okay I'd do more but it will only let me do 10 smiley! What planet is this host from???

She was my pain in the you know what hostess. She is from the wonderful world of "got nothing better to do than drive me CRAZY!!!!!" LOL

buckeyefan08 said:
She was my pain in the you know what hostess. She is from the wonderful world of "got nothing better to do than drive me CRAZY!!!!!" LOL
I had a host like that last October. I completely didn't want to do any more business with her and she calls me in January and places a $170 stoneware order! Must have been mood swings!

That is what I'm hoping is going on with me right now. She booked again in May when I'm just getting back into the swing of things. She did have a good show, I know I'm not as friendly and outgoing as I could be right now.

buckeyefan08 said:
That is what I'm hoping is going on with me right now. She booked again in May when I'm just getting back into the swing of things. She did have a good show, I know I'm not as friendly and outgoing as I could be right now.
It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round!

HELP!!!! We made this cake this am, in oven (nervous about Micro went old fashion way). It sunk in the middle still high on the sides and around the cone of fluted pan. Not sure if I should chuck it and try again or just turn it over on to platter and pray when we eat it.......

Any suggestions???????

I made this cake at my Spring Kick-Off yesterday. It oozed and plopped out of the stone. I was so embarrassed! There was chocolate cake all over the place. However, the cake turned out GREAT!! I put it in for 10 minutes. It started oozing with 8 minutes left. I just let it cook and plop for the full time. I thought it would be shrunken and weird looking, but it looked perfect. It tasted wonderful. The microwave was a mess! I used the Duncan Hines cake because it was the cheapest 89 cents.

The glaze was a little thick. It was hard to spread the glaze with the Silicone brush. I just poured the glaze over the cake and spread it with a Classic Spreader.

It was a big hit! They all overlooked the mess in the microwave and said that they would make this cake at home.

The very same thing happened to me - luckily I was at a show with close friends and past hosts and we could all laugh - but next time I will take some of the batter out of the fluted stone before microwaving. My friends 6 yr old daughter was there and I let her spread on the strawberry jam with the silicone brush - she loved it and I sold 3 fluted stones and 2 brushes!!!

Even tho it oozed out of the pan - once it was dumped on the platter and the glaze and strawberries added, it was delicious. No one could believe it was a microwave cake!

I've made this 3 times, twice at home and once at a show. Of course,at home it got close to the top and the pan, just a little on the edge, but at the show it plooped out of the stone, but not a lot. It turned out great otherwise and was a big hit. I think I used Pilsbury at home and Ducan hines at the show.

If anyone figures out how to stop the "oozing and plooping" let me know! I made thi sat home once, and that's exactly what happened to me! I'm making it for a bridal shower later this month, and would REALLY like for that NOT to happen! Someone suggested just cooking at 80% power, but I haven't made another one yet to see if this helps. Maybe I can eat my way through spring break trying it out! :)

Check the microwave wattage...
My home machine is not full power (600 watts) and took a few minutes longer to cook. After setting was still gooey on the outside.At a friends home (1000 watt).perfect timing, but did not raise out over the sides of the fluted pan.I'm also wondering if the amount of air incorporated makes a difference? I whisk the eggs first until light and lemony, then add other ingredients.

Venting my frustrations with this cake!!!!!!!!!!I just tried it again tonight and started out cooking it for 9 min at 80% power. (1250 watt micro). It still oozed and plopped out and wasn't anywhere near done at the end of the 9 min. I cooked it for 5 more min. at 60% power (trying not to make an even bigger mess in the micro.) Tested it and was still about the consistency of choc. pudding when I inserted a pick, then I finally cut my losses and finished it up for 3 minutes at 100% power. (Not too much more oozing during this stage.) Then I took a knife and scraped off the excess (much more than could be "wiped off with a paper towel"). The pan lifted just fine, but I'd say about 1/8th of the cake was still stuck to the pan. However, when glazed and drizzled it looked nice and my DH and DS gobbled it up.

I'm just frustrated because I'm supposed to do this at a bridal shower next week and I don't want it to look like a volcano exploded inside the host's microwave!!!!!! I think I may e-mail the test kitchen and see if they have any advice. Used a Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mix. (Last time was Duncan Hines.) I did check the recipe for the mix size this time after the lemon mini cake disaster!!!!!!!!!:cry:

PS-- I don't seem to have any problems with any of the other microwave recipes!

I wonder if I should make this for a "baby shower" we're having for one of our co-workers this week. He's the dad, and we got a Babies R Us gift card (that we all donated towards) and I said I'd make a cake. Do you think it's a good idea?

It's really good (even my REJECTS) and by taking it to work, no one would see the mess it left in your microwave! (IF your luck is like mine!)

I did just e-mail the test kitchens, and if they give me a solution, I'll be sure and pass it on.

the same thing has happened to me twice. At the first show (I should have done a trial run) thank goodness the show was with close friends and co-workers and we all got a good laugh but the microwave was a mess. The cake did all plop out tho (what wasnt in the microwave!) and once we put on the glaze and the strawberries, it was pretty....and tasted good. At Sundays show, I took out about 1/2 cup of the mix and cooked it as it said - it did better but a little oozed out still....and I thought it was a little dry. So - I will not be making this cake again. It's just not worth it. I've made the Strawberry Cream Trifle twice and everyone raved about it. It's a great show recipe when you need a cake - perfect for bridal showers and I have sold a couple trifle bowls at each show.

I did it at home in oven and the middle sank in also . But when you turn it out, you don't even notice. I did it at a show in the microwave. The host's microwave was a really strong one (I think it said 1400 watts) so we tried it at less time than requested but it needed the full time. Didn't have any problems of "spillage". I wonder if it's the cake mix or something. Has anyone emailed HO?

I made this Sunday for our Cluster Meeting. I didn't like it though. I thought it was way too sweet. I cooked it for 11 mins on 80% power and I thought it was over-done. I probably won't make it again.

pamperedlinda said:
I made this Sunday for our Cluster Meeting. I didn't like it though. I thought it was way too sweet. I cooked it for 11 mins on 80% power and I thought it was over-done. I probably won't make it again.

Linda, when I made it with milk chocolate, I felt the same way!:yuck:

I made it as a Skillet Cake, using Ghiradelli's dark chocolate chips, and it was much better.

Thanks for the tip Becky. If I decide to try it again I'll do that.

I put the cake in my car @ 30 mins before I left for my mtg - It smelled delicious! On the drive all I could think about was having a bite of it.

side note: I attended a sister consultants mtg sice I couldn't go to my regular cluster this month. One of the girls there asked me if I was the Chicken Fajita lady - lol - Everyone absolutely loves that recipe! My director made it for her show last week and said it was a huge hit. She used the Salad Choppers to cut-up the chicken (she actually had a few guests do that part). So if you haven't tried that, there's a tip for you.

pamperedlinda said:
Thanks for the tip Becky. If I decide to try it again I'll do that.

I put the cake in my car @ 30 mins before I left for my mtg - It smelled delicious! On the drive all I could think about was having a bite of it.

side note: I attended a sister consultants mtg sice I couldn't go to my regular cluster this month. One of the girls there asked me if I was the Chicken Fajita lady - lol - Everyone absolutely loves that recipe! My director made it for her show last week and said it was a huge hit. She used the Salad Choppers to cut-up the chicken (she actually had a few guests do that part). So if you haven't tried that, there's a tip for you.

I used the salad choppers last night for the first time with the chicken! And booked a Fajita Show for June! Have I mentioned lately how much I love the DCB?:D

Response from Test KitchenSo, I contacted the test kitchen about the overflow issue. Below is their response, and I have answered all their questions and sent it back. After reading how many of you also had this problem, I was a little shocked at their statement that they never had this happen before! I hope that they can find a solution. Did anyone else oil the top edge of the pan?

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Pampered Chef Test Kitchens
regarding the Chocolate Velvet Cake with Strawberries. In our testing,
we did not have cakes overflow in the microwave; however, we did have
cakes that rose onto the edge of the Fluted Pan during baking. In order
to help us understand the possible cause of this problem, would you
please reply with the following information:

1. Brand of cake mix used:
2. Brand of jam used:
3. Amount of jam used in cake batter:
4. Brand and Wattage of microwave:
5. Microwave was equipped with built-in turntable:
6. Method of mixing batter, including any changes to tools called out in
recipe:
7: How well seasoned is your Stoneware Fluted Pan?
8. Did you brush the top edge of the pan with oil?
9. What size eggs are you using? Large, extra large, jumbo

We appreciate your response. We will be looking into this issue as soon
as possible.

The Pampered Chef Test Kitchen
[email protected]

i always use duncan hines cake mixes for any kind of cake i am baking.

yes i would have to agree the girl not thinking strawberries and chocolate not going together, i mean please honestly she must not be a true woman LOL!!!!

I'm interested to see what they reply to you. I made it in the microwave and it didn't over flow. It didn't even dirty the edge.

I would think that the acidity level of the jam and the altitude of your location would have a good bearing on how ploppy the batter would get. More acid would cause it to foam more as well as a higher altitude because of the air pressure not holding it down as well. I personally had the cake Monday at our cluster meeting.. my director used fresh blueberries instead of strawberries and it was the bomb-dig-a-dee. We are at sea level. If ploppy, may need to adjust for high altitude and use strawberry extract instead.

I am not impressed with this recipe. I had it at a cluster meeting a few weeks ago, and i found the cake to be dry..But I made it again myself, in the fluted pan, checking the cake both at 9min ( not done..) and 11min - done..and it still tasted dry.

I already have scheduled to do this for a show on Friday..it looks pretty but I doubt I will offer it again for more shows unless someone comes up w/ some magic trick...lol to make it taste less dry

I would think that the acidity level of the jam and the altitude of your location would have a good bearing on how ploppy the batter would get. More acid would cause it to foam more as well as a higher altitude because of the air pressure not holding it down as well. I personally had the cake Monday at our cluster meeting.. my director used fresh blueberries instead of strawberries and it was the bomb-dig-a-dee. We are at sea level. If ploppy, may need to adjust for high altitude and use strawberry extract instead.
Stephanie - that makes sense but I'm at sea-level and it foamed way over the pan....even when I took out about 1/2 cup of batter the 2nd go-round, it still plopped over - not as much but still messy. Tastes great but I wont make it again.

smilesarepriceless said:
I am not impressed with this recipe. I had it at a cluster meeting a few weeks ago, and i found the cake to be dry..But I made it again myself, in the fluted pan, checking the cake both at 9min ( not done..) and 11min - done..and it still tasted dry.

I already have scheduled to do this for a show on Friday..it looks pretty but I doubt I will offer it again for more shows unless someone comes up w/ some magic trick...lol to make it taste less dry

Do it as a skillet cake :chef: instead of in the microwave.:yuck:

That is the only magic I know to make this cake edible.......(says the self-avowed cake snob!;) )

Hmmm. Has anyone tried adding some extra flour? Sugar is a liquifier and if it is sugar jam... may need to adjust. I would think by 1/2 a cup... Now I have to try this at home and see... too bad I don't have a fluted pan yet. Is that weird? I have so many other pieces of stoneware, why not that. My director said the same thing at our cluster meeting... "girl, get the fluted pan!"

My cake came out moist and delicious. I did it in the microwave and after the show I did there wasn't a crumb left. Maybe it has to do with the wattage? Type of cake mix? IDK....

I added 16 ounces of light sour cream to mine. The first one I made following the directions and I didn't like it. It overflowed and made a mess and was dry. When I added the sour cream, it came out perfect. I also don't brush the outside with the melted jam....too messy and not needed. I did not melt the chocolate chips that were added in the cake, I left them in chip form.

Okay- now I totally have to try this recipe... it sounds delicious and looks the same!

I love the recipe this way. It's very similar to Kahlua cake. I just substitute the strawberry jam for the Kahlua and leave the chips unmelted and I don't put the pudding in either. Try it, I think you'll like it

<h2>1. How do I make the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries from the new S/S SB?</h2><p>To make the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries, you will need the following ingredients: 1 box of chocolate cake mix, 1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1 cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup of melted butter, 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 cup of chocolate chips, and 1 cup of sliced strawberries. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, melted butter, and warm water until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Let the cake cool completely before topping with sliced strawberries.</p><h2>2. Is the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries too sweet or heavy?</h2><p>No, this cake is not too sweet or heavy. The combination of the chocolate cake and pudding mix creates a rich but not overpowering flavor. The addition of sour cream also helps to balance out the sweetness. </p><h2>3. Can I make this cake for a party or show?</h2><p>Yes, this cake is perfect for parties or shows! It looks beautiful and decadent, and is sure to impress your guests. You can easily double the recipe to make a larger cake for a bigger group.</p><h2>4. Can I use fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe?</h2><p>You can use either fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe. If using frozen strawberries, make sure to thaw and drain them before topping the cake.</p><h2>5. Are there any variations for this Velvet Chocolate Cake recipe?</h2><p>Yes, you can customize this recipe by using different flavors of cake mix and pudding mix. You can also top the cake with other types of fruit, such as raspberries or blackberries. For a more indulgent treat, you can also drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the cake.</p>

1. How do I make the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries from the new S/S SB?

To make the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries, you will need the following ingredients: 1 box of chocolate cake mix, 1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1 cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup of melted butter, 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 cup of chocolate chips, and 1 cup of sliced strawberries. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, melted butter, and warm water until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Let the cake cool completely before topping with sliced strawberries.

2. Is the Velvet Chocolate Cake with Strawberries too sweet or heavy?

No, this cake is not too sweet or heavy. The combination of the chocolate cake and pudding mix creates a rich but not overpowering flavor. The addition of sour cream also helps to balance out the sweetness.

3. Can I make this cake for a party or show?

Yes, this cake is perfect for parties or shows! It looks beautiful and decadent, and is sure to impress your guests. You can easily double the recipe to make a larger cake for a bigger group.

4. Can I use fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe?

You can use either fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe. If using frozen strawberries, make sure to thaw and drain them before topping the cake.

5. Are there any variations for this Velvet Chocolate Cake recipe?

Yes, you can customize this recipe by using different flavors of cake mix and pudding mix. You can also top the cake with other types of fruit, such as raspberries or blackberries. For a more indulgent treat, you can also drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the cake.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
kspry
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • jenbaez
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies