• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chocolate Strawberry Velvet Cake.....

In summary, Becky asked for instructions on how to bake the Chocolate/Strawberry Cake in an oven, and the Pampered Chef Test Kitchen gave instructions to bake it at 350F for 50-60 minutes. Diane shared her experience baking the cake in a skillet, which took 30 minutes at 350F. She also shared the recipe, which called for seedless strawberry jam or spread. The three cakes she made were tested by family and friends, and each cake had various toppings such as Cool Whip rosettes, chocolate dipped strawberries, and whipped cream. The cakes received positive reviews and were deemed too pretty to eat.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I sent the following email to the test kitchen -

Hello!
I was wondering if you have instructions for doing the new
Chocolate/Strawberry Cake in the oven? I would like to do it as a
skillet cake or in the fluted pan in the oven. I don't do microwave
cakes.....I'm a cake snob :) and I just don't care for the end result
of the microwave cakes. (sorry!)

Thanks so much!

And here is the response I received:

Becky,

You are going to want to bake this cake at 350F 50-60 minutes or until a
cake tester comer out clean. I'm sorry to say this recipe has never been
tested in the skillet but if you do end up trying it in a skillet we
would love to know how it comes out.

Hope this information helps,

The Pampered Chef Test Kitchen
[email protected]

So, this weekend, I'll be trying it as a Skillet Cake ~ I'll let all of you know the results too!

sounds super yummy!

Oooooh, that sounds good and a great way to push the cookware. I'll try that in a little while (see "seedless strawberry jam" thread).

all about the cake-----MMMM I hope vanessa makes this too----

Let us know how it turns out Becky! Not everyone has a big enough micro for the fluted pan.

btw, I was chuckling about your "cake snob" comment, lol!

Mine's almost done. It took 30 minutes at 350 in the 12" skillet. I'll post a picture in a few minutes. So far, it looks great! I kept the ingredients the same, but added whipped cream around the edge and am putting chocolate glaze covered strawberries on top of the whipped cream.

ETA: Here it is...

Attachments

• Chocolate Velvet Strawberry Cake.JPG
    Chocolate Velvet Strawberry Cake.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 942
Last edited:
Oh My Diane!!!! That looks wonderful! so did you just drizzle the glaze then do the whipped topping and strawberries?

dianevill said:
Mine's almost done. It took 30 minutes at 350 in the 12" skillet. I'll post a picture in a few minutes. So far, it looks great! I kept the ingredients the same, but added whipped cream around the edge and am putting chocolate glaze covered strawberries on top of the whipped cream.

ETA: Here it is...

Wow Diane, that looks fabulous! And it makes me want some right now...

No kidding!!!! I'm on my way.... It's only a couple hours from the cities right! LOL!

JK....

Great job Dianne

Diane, that looks almost too good to eat! Sure wish I had a piece right now.

Thank you, ladies! Yes, I just drizzled the chocolate over it. It is such a super easy recipe.

Oh my that looks delish! I can't wait to try it myself! (Although, I would probably eating it ALL by myself)!

Mmm...I so need this new Season's Best!

Morfia, we can make it on a non diet day! LOL YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

vwpamperedchef said:
Morfia, we can make it on a non diet day! LOL YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't that every day? :rolleyes:

Just modify your died to include chocolate and strawberries - LOL! It is fruit after all!

Diane, where is the recipe for this cake? I missed it.

Your cake looks soooooogood!

go to website and its a new recipe under chocolate bliss theme shows.

janetupnorth said:
Mmm...I so need this new Season's Best!
it's not in the SB, it's on CC under the Chocolate bliss theme show!:thumbup: :)

Diane this looks beautiful! Did you taste it yet and did it come out better than the microwave version?

can't wait:)

Two thumbs up...You can tell the difference between the microwave and oven versions. The microwave cake was more dense and moist, the oven version lighter. The "crumb" was better with the oven version - the microwave cakes tend to be a little "holey" I guess is the best word I could use to describe them. Both were VERY good, though. (Unlike my friend Becky, I'm not a cake snob ;) - anything that ends with "cake" just has to be good. LOL).

One thing, in the thread I started, "Seedless Strawberry Jam", I thought it was fine to use the jam with seeds (I had bought the wrong kind). I'm retracting the statement - use the seedless. It has a smooth consistency; the regular jam has chunks (it's not bad with the chunks, but I prefer to have the cake without them.) I also made one of the cakes (I've made 3 so far) with strawberry spread. That also had chunks and seeds, but not as many as the regular jam. Clear as jam?

Here's a breakdown of the three I made:

First cake - microwave cake in the stoneware fluted pan. I started with strawberry jam in the cake mix itself. After flipping, I microwaved the strawberry jam for the glaze and didn't like the chunks. I found some strawberry spread in my fridge and used that. Still a few small chunks, but better. The cake was a hit with the family and it looked "nice".

Second cake - I made it in a 350 degree oven in the 12" Exec skillet; baked for half an hour. I used strawberry "spread" for the cake and glaze. I added Cool Whip rosettes around the edges (I did 16 so the cake could easily be sliced) and offset a chocolate dipped strawberry on each rosette. I took this to my neighbor's Lia Sophia show - everyone loved it. They all said it was too pretty to eat. That's the picture of the cake I posted.

Third cake - I made it in a 350 degree oven in the 12" Exec skillet; baked for half an hour. I used seedless strawberry jam for the cake and glaze. Very smooth consistency. The cake was just finishing baking when everyone came in. When it was done I let it cool 5 minutes, flipped it, glazed it, drizzled chocolate over it, and then let it cool for a few minutes before using the EAD filled with whipped cream. Then I dipped the strawberries (I had to reheat the glaze a little bit). I used the Egg Slicer Plus for the strawberry garnish in the middle. HUGE HIT - no one could believe how easy and pretty it was. I used so many tools. I didn't use any stoneware but I talked about how the cake could be made in the microwave with the fluted pan. It was a guest's birthday so we stuck a candle in the middle and sang "Happy Birthday". I'd really recommend this cake, and I would do it in the skillet again and talk about how it could be made in the microwave.

BTW, the vanilla ice cream melted with milk chocolate chips is awesome as a dip for the strawberries.

Also, here's the recipe - as others have said, it is on CC, but I typed it up for my guests so here you go:

Chocolate Velvet Cake with Strawberries
Cake
1 cup milk chocolate morsels
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 pkg (18.25 oz) devil’s food cake mix
3 eggs
¾ cup water
1 jar (12 oz) seedless strawberry jam, divided

Glaze & Garnish
⅓ cup melted vanilla ice cream
1 cup milk chocolate morsels
1 qt. fresh strawberries, divided

1. Brush Stoneware Fluted Pan with vegetable oil using Chef’s Silicone Basting Brush. For cake, combine chocolate morsels and oil in Small Batter Bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30-60 seconds or until melted and smooth, whisking after 30 seconds.

2. In Stainless (4-qt.) Mixing Bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, water, ½ cup of the jam and chocolate mixture; whisk until well blended. Pour batter into pan. Microwave cake on HIGH 9-12 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove cake from microwave. Wipe rim of pan clean using paper towel, if necessary. Center Simple Additions® Large Round Platter over pan and carefully invert. Without removing pan, let stand 10 minutes. Remove pan.

3. For glaze, combine ice cream and chocolate morsels in Small Micro-Cooker®. Microwave on HIGH 20-60 seconds, stirring after each 20-second interval, until melted and smooth.

4. To finish cake, place remaining jam into Prep Bowl and microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted; brush evenly over cake. Holding by stems, dip 16 of the strawberries into glaze; arrange around bottom edge of cake. Drizzle top of cake with remaining glaze. Slice remaining strawberries using Egg Slicer Plus®; place into center well of cake. Serve with additional ice cream, if desired.
Yield: 16 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 360, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Carbohydrate 57 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 290 mg, Fiber less than 1 g

Cook’s Tips: For best results, bake this cake in a 1000-watt microwave with a built-in turntable. This cake can be baked in a conventional oven, if desired. Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes. Proceed as recipe directs.

Beautiful pic! They were right, it is too pretty to eat!

I made this today for our cluster meeting. It's really good and was a hit there as well as at home. My daughter said it was the best cake she'd ever had. I made mine in my convection oven in a bundt pan since I don't have a fluted stone yet. I will be getting one now. Definite thumbs up on this recipe. :thumbup:

Diane,

I think you should send your "research" :chef: to the Test Kitchen - they would be very impressed! They might even offer you a job - that would be a cool job to have too.

I'm going to try this recipe very soon. Today's afternoon show has been rescheduled to an evening next week and host now wants a dessert since everyone will probably already have eaten dinner, I just might do this one.

How do you think this would be with raspberries and raspberry jam?

Wow Diane, thanks for posting all your results! Glad to hear it worked well in the cookware.

pamperedlinda said:
How do you think this would be with raspberries and raspberry jam?

I was thinking about trying that next time around - I think it would be awesome!!!

I will forward the results to Home Office. It's a great way to sell the cookware!

Last edited:
VERY pretty Diane! Thanks for doing the research. I'm not a cake snob either, but it is nice to offer an alternative for those who are a little pickier.

Man, wishing it wasn't 26 below or that I had strawberries and strawberry jam at home.... :(

Hmm...I do have some strawberry jelly left...wheels still churning...

The strawberries are only for garnish anyway, and I think jelly would work just fine. Give it a whirl!

dianevill said:
The strawberries are only for garnish anyway, and I think jelly would work just fine. Give it a whirl!

I'm going for it this afternoon...trying a dark chocolate cake though and strawberry jelly - have about 12 oz. of spreadable so it should work!!!!

...and two tubs of Cool Whip available for topping...

...and plenty of choc. chips in the house...

P.S. I JUST got my skillet from POR (love it BTW!!!!) so I've NEVER made a skillet cake...this should be fun!

Diane should have read your notes better. Becky's info. from the test kitchens said 50-60 minutes at 350 - yours said 30 minutes. I pulled mine out at 40 minutes (not reading your 30 min. note). It was definitely done - release from the pan wasn't the best.

Mine isn't as "pretty" as Diane's because I didn't have many supplies on hand, but here it is, my first skillet cake.

DSC00040.jpg

The strawberry jelly was warm still so the heart in the center was starting to melt a little...oops.

I was excited to make this cake....I love chocolate and berries. I made it per the instructions in the new SB (it's on page 26). I'm not a big fan of the micro cakes, but wanted to try it one more time. Still not a fan, so I think I might try to do a skillet cake next time.

We found this cake to be very sweet....actually too sweet. I thought it it would be good with coffee. Maybe that would help cut through all the sugar.

I love trying all the new recipes. I'm always looking for the next "staple recipe". I still have--and use--the very first Season's Best that I bought. Spring/Summer 1997....several great recipes in there!

OK, now I'm torn. I was going to purchase a fluted stone to make this cake. I'd always wished I had one to do the "Miracle Cake" demos, and now that it's a featured recipe I decided to spend the $. BUT, I could just do it as a Skillet Cake and save $. Unless y'all think the booking possibilities of quick/miracle/micro cakes outweigh the cost of the stone???

I owned every piece of stoneware, but the fluted. When I saw that recipe first come up, I knew I would do at shows (keeps kitchen cool in summer), so I bought it. I just got it yesterday. I'm excited to make. I love the cake in the rice cooker, so I'm sure my family will love it.

lauraP2000 said:
OK, now I'm torn. I was going to purchase a fluted stone to make this cake. I'd always wished I had one to do the "Miracle Cake" demos, and now that it's a featured recipe I decided to spend the $. BUT, I could just do it as a Skillet Cake and save $. Unless y'all think the booking possibilities of quick/miracle/micro cakes outweigh the cost of the stone???

It's a good investment to get the fluted pan. I've sold several just by talking about it at my shows. Cannot wait to do this recipe at my shows. The best part is the fact you can do it in the microwave.

Okay so I am doing this cake at a show on Saturday. I have done the micro version and am practicing the oven version today.

My question is: Do you think the demo for the oven version would be too long? I am trying to get all my ducks in a row before Saturday. Not quite sure whick version to present.

If you do the oven version I'd bake it right when I get to the show and have it cooling as the guests arrive. That'll give it enough time to cool down to drizzle the chocolate and add the Cool Whip w/ the EAD.

I made this based on recipe instructions this week. My husband flipped for it. Said it is the best PC cake I have ever made.

After making the micro version yesterday and the oven version today, I will definately be doing the micro version at the show. It just took too long to do the oven version. I used quite a few tools before putting it in the oven and think baking it before guests arrived would take away from the demo.

My only problem was the micro version left quite a mess on the rim of the fluted pan and wiping it seemed to make it worse looking.

I broaght this cake to a super bowl party/birthday party. What a hit. Very nice looking too. Everyone loved it.

I only have a 10" skillet (the one that comes with the 7-piece set). Was there enough room in your 12" that you think all of the batter would fit in the 10"? I noticed how much of a difference there is when I tried making 3lbs of meat for the power cooking recipes and I barely had enough room to stir anything. I do have the fluted pan to use in the oven, but just wanted to know since the skillet would be a better way to sell cookware. Also, my microwave is really small, so I can't fit the fluted pan in it, or the Deep Covered Baker for the 30 minute chicken (bummer!). Also, I would assume that since the 10" would make the cake deeper it would need to cook longer? My husband does NOT eat sweets, so I don't want to make 3 of these cakes trying it all out if you may already know some of this information.

Tanoi said:
I only have a 10" skillet (the one that comes with the 7-piece set). Was there enough room in your 12" that you think all of the batter would fit in the 10"? I noticed how much of a difference there is when I tried making 3lbs of meat for the power cooking recipes and I barely had enough room to stir anything. I do have the fluted pan to use in the oven, but just wanted to know since the skillet would be a better way to sell cookware. Also, my microwave is really small, so I can't fit the fluted pan in it, or the Deep Covered Baker for the 30 minute chicken (bummer!). Also, I would assume that since the 10" would make the cake deeper it would need to cook longer? My husband does NOT eat sweets, so I don't want to make 3 of these cakes trying it all out if you may already know some of this information.

It might work in the 10". I think because of cook time in the oven I would pre-bake the cake before the show though. I used a lot of tools to do the batter part though so not sure how well that would work as far as showing off product.

I would do it in the 10" but just leave out some of the batter - maybe 3/4 cup (just guessing)?

hmmmm.....I have tried this cake twice in the microwave and it has overflowed twice! I thought maybe the first time I did something wrong. But the second time I read and reread the ingredients to make sure I got them right.

Anyone have this happen? Thinking maybe it is my stone, as I had to buy a new fluted after I broke my other one:cry: .

I've noticed that cakes in the microwave tend to poof up as they're cooking, and settle when the microwave turns off. Maybe your microwave is higher wattage than is recommended, and you need to turn it down a bit (like to 80% power).

I thought that too Ann, then I looked my microwave is 950 while they recommend 1000. I didn't think to do reduced power, that is a great idea! Guess I will go buy the ingredients again to see if I can perfect it. I have done other microcakes in my same microwave and this is the first one to overflow...:cry:

Marlene - try substituting a couple tablespoons of water for one of the eggs if you are using all the eggs the box mix recommends.

ChefBeckyD said:

You are going to want to bake this cake at 350F 50-60 minutes or until a
cake tester comer out clean. I'm sorry to say this recipe has never been
tested in the skillet but if you do end up trying it in a skillet we
would love to know how it comes out.

So would it be the same directions if I were to cook the Mexican Chocolate cake in the oven??

elizabethfox said:
So would it be the same directions if I were to cook the Mexican Chocolate cake in the oven??

I only cooked mine for 30-40 minutes and it was done 50-60 was WAY too long!

<h2>1. Can I bake the Chocolate Strawberry Velvet Cake in the oven instead of the microwave?</h2><p>Yes, the recipe can be baked in the oven at 350F for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.</p><h2>2. Can I use a skillet or fluted pan to bake the cake?</h2><p>The recipe has only been tested in the microwave, but you can try using a skillet or fluted pan in the oven. We would love to know how it turns out if you do!</p><h2>3. How long should I bake the cake for in the oven?</h2><p>The cake should be baked for 50-60 minutes at 350F or until a cake tester comes out clean.</p><h2>4. Can I substitute any ingredients in the recipe?</h2><p>We recommend following the recipe as written for best results. Substituting ingredients may alter the final texture and taste of the cake.</p><h2>5. Can I make this cake without using a microwave or oven?</h2><p>The Chocolate Strawberry Velvet Cake recipe is designed for either the microwave or oven. We do not have instructions for making it without using one of these methods.</p>

1. Can I bake the Chocolate Strawberry Velvet Cake in the oven instead of the microwave?

Yes, the recipe can be baked in the oven at 350F for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

2. Can I use a skillet or fluted pan to bake the cake?

The recipe has only been tested in the microwave, but you can try using a skillet or fluted pan in the oven. We would love to know how it turns out if you do!

3. How long should I bake the cake for in the oven?

The cake should be baked for 50-60 minutes at 350F or until a cake tester comes out clean.

4. Can I substitute any ingredients in the recipe?

We recommend following the recipe as written for best results. Substituting ingredients may alter the final texture and taste of the cake.

5. Can I make this cake without using a microwave or oven?

The Chocolate Strawberry Velvet Cake recipe is designed for either the microwave or oven. We do not have instructions for making it without using one of these methods.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Alanna1
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Alanna1
  • pampered2007
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
stacywhitlow
  • reneenshelcook4u