• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Anybody Sell or Booking Enough to Justify the Booth Cost??

In summary, my friend and I have done two booths this year and still have two more to go. The first booth had 2 orders and 1 booking. Yesterday's booth had 3 orders and 1 booking. People were looking but they aren't buying these days. We noticed all the vendors just sitting or standing around and when people were leaving they were empty handed. There were a lot of handmade items there too but they weren't selling either. I know the economy is bad (I'm so sick of hearing that all the time) but paying for the booths is getting old when we don't even make enough commission off our sales to recoup the money.......or even reach the $150 to submit it as a show. The book
pamperedcheermom
My friend and I have done two booths so far this year and still have two more to go. The first booth had 2 orders and 1 booking. Yesterdays booth had 3 orders and 1 booking. People were looking but they aren't buying these days. We noticed all the vendors just sitting or standing around and when people were leaving they were empty handed. There were a lot of handmade items there too but they weren't selling either. I know the economy is bad (I'm so sick of hearing that all the time) but paying for the booths is getting old when we don't even make enough commission off our sales to recoup the money.......or even reach the $150 to submit it as a show. The bookings might be great but they aren't till January.

I have two more booths coming up and one is for 8 hours. I really don't want to be there for 8 hours and possibly have one order and one booking.......or even worse, NOTHING. That one is in another city and I would have to deliver the products because they won't pay the extra shipping to have it delivered directly to them. We don't charge shipping at a booth anyway because we put the orders together and have one shipping charge. But I don't want to travel all over delivering stuff and I know the people who will be there will be from the surrounding area.

Just thought I'd vent! Anyone else having this problem?:mad:

I never do a booth that cost too much - none of the booths I do by myself is over $25 - if it is I will ask someone to go along with me.

My thing is that I want to get my name out there so I am willing to set up even if I don't get an order because you never know what will happen

:chef:

I won't pay more than $40 for a booth - it is too risky. You could end up not getting anything from a booth - so I am choosy on which ones I go in.

Most fees around here for booths/tables are about $25 - so to get a few hundred in Sales is worth it....

I did a booth two weekends ago. The busiest booth had homemade Christmas decor (wooden things cut out and painted) and EVERYTHING was $10 or less.People were buying little things from all vendors, but nothing huge.

I recently did several booths...one cost $100, one cost $165, and one cost $45. The most expensive one netted me several bookings and a couple of orders, the $100 one got me a lot of leads to follow up on, but no definite anythings. The $45 booth I made enough in sales (I was NOT expecting sales) to qualify for a small show that I'm making a f/r for the PTO that held the market.

My experience is that the less expensive ones often net more bookings, etc. I never expect orders and am usually floored when someone places an order. I'm still working through shows that I can trace to last year's PTO holiday market, so it was a great investment.

I will most definitely not be spending more than $50 on a booth again, unless it's the state fair one that goes for 10 days and gets a lot of business.

HTH

I did my first booth (actually a table) on Nov 1. It cost me $25 for a 12' table. I was not expecting to take orders, but ended up with $166 in sales. I did offer a great doorprize, which required people to fill out my questionnaire in order to enter the drawing.Three persons took a host packet to take part in my Mystery Host Show (one actually followed through, one is still collecting orders even though the Mystery Host Show is over, and one is MIA). I did get 41 leads, out of which I currently have two catty shows going on and some others who want to hold shows in near future.My goal was to get my name out there and I was pleased with the results. I have another show on the 13th of Dec. It is on a smaller scale and the table costs only $10. I plan to take a lot of cash 'n carry, mostly small inexpensive items. I don't think I am willing to pay more than $40 for a table at this point. I do believe that people are still shopping, just purchasing lesser expensive items--great reason to host a show and get some of those gifts for free!

I have done 2 booths (through my director), so we sign up for a time slot. Both were a couple hours and from my door prize slips I booked 8 shows and 1 recruit lead. I just ask EVERYONE if they want to register for the door prize and then start a conversation while they are writting, if we have a good conversation or if they are really excited/interested in PC, I put a star on their slip so when I start follow up call I call them first. This gets my momentum going and start off with a booking or two asap. Then you get excited and book from the others. My director always says if you book one show from a booth it is successful, because you never know where it will lead.
I just had my first show from those 8 booking and from that show I booked 5 SHOWS!

Wow, thats great to hear Michelle! Congrats!

I tried to get into a couple local events, but the PC lady across the street beat me to it! LOL I have my name in for next year if she doesn't book again though!

The most my friend and I have paid for a booth is $50 and we always split the cost. But this year it doesn't seem to be as lucrative as last year. It just seems like we're doing more sitting and standing at the tables than we are talking to people. BECAUSE the people aren't coming! I was really expecting a good turnout this past Sat because the location was in the center of town and we were told it was advertised ALOT. We found out at the booth that it was advertised in our newspaper in the yard sale section. I think people were coming with "yardsale prices" in mind and nobody had those kinds of prices. There were signs outside the building on the fence but they just went up on Friday. It was a really slow day. I'm rethinking the 8 hour booth I have coming up in Dec.

I just finished a 9-4 booth on Saturday for a Holiday Craft Fair..it was $45.00 and I went with another cluster mate. She is only 2 months into PC so it was good for her...and for me. I had $496 in sales and I know she has a nice stack of order forms as well. I actually got 2 shows and an x consultant who I think maybe I can bring back to selling in this area as she was selling in Oregon until she moved in 2003. My partner also has at least 1 show (I think 2) and she also had a gal come looking for us to join! So I think it was worth it..in fact I registered and made a deposit for next year to keep our spot. But we reached out to just about everyone who passed by with our mini holiday cats with a recipe/coupon sheet attached to the back and invited them "into our pampered kitchen". It gets them looking and thinking. I made up the cookie mix in the SBB and they loved the idea. We made comments about nice stocking stuffers and the great stuffer prices and to get those shows...we displayed the January "free $$" host flyer so they could see how much they could get. Most of the time, both of us were in front of the table and both of us were busy. Our drawing, which we told everyone about, was a gift certificate (thru us) for all who placed an order/booked a show. Now we have solid PC leads from people who want PC.

I paid $20 for a booth and sold over $300 and booked 2 shows... definitely worth it. Then the next one I paid $20 for and sold over $600 worth and passed out a whole bunch of recipe cards, no bookings from it yet, but lots of leads. Definitely worth it for both of them. Plus I got a lot of free stuff from the host benefits!

I've paid upwards of $200 for a booth and I will take advantage of any that I can. I never get a lot of sales but I always get tons of leads and a few bookings, and often a recruit or 2.

Do a draw, and my recommendation is to fill out the draw slip for them. That way you can ask the right questions and get as much info as you can.

Never let them leave empty-handed. Hand out mini catalogs or recipe cards with your information on them.

My advise is opposite of Winnipegk. I don't do a drawing. You do end up with a TON of leads, but many or most of them are just in it for the prize. I ask people if they are familiar with PC, if they have a consultant they work with; if so...who, how long has it been since they last saw a catalog, if they've ever hosted before. I ask these questions to qualify my lead on the spot. I don't have alot of time to call 100 leads to nowhere. I would rather have 15-20 leads from people who are genuinely interested in something I have to offer.

I think if you get a booking, the booth is a success. They idea is to get new leads. I don't need someone to be interested in hosting a show to consider them a good lead either. I have a lot of people that just buy from me b/c they don't want to do shows. I am sure to get email addresses. I send a monthly e-newsletter and randomly get contacted by them or people they know.On the note of s/h, I tend to pay for the direct s/h upgrade. People are so happy about that. It costs me, but it saves my sanity. Plus, it's a write-off at least.

Jules711 said:
I think if you get a booking, the booth is a success. They idea is to get new leads. I don't need someone to be interested in hosting a show to consider them a good lead either. I have a lot of people that just buy from me b/c they don't want to do shows. I am sure to get email addresses. I send a monthly e-newsletter and randomly get contacted by them or people they know.

On the note of s/h, I tend to pay for the direct s/h upgrade. People are so happy about that. It costs me, but it saves my sanity. Plus, it's a write-off at least.

This is what I do too. My special is always Direct Shipping at Show Shipping Price.

Booths can be tricky - you never know until you try how they are going to turn out. It really depends on how well it's advertised.

I had one this month that was $437 in sales, and 2 bookings...and then I had one that was $135 in sales, and no bookings (yet)....

I would never do one that was an 8 hour day though. 3-4 hours is my max!

A friend and I have the opportunity to go halves on a show..in the mall! There will be several "women based businesses" even tho PC is for men too..My dh wants to get involved but he has something to do that day..Anyways, the only hold up is my friend is a tad hesitant, as it will cost us $50.00 a piece, but we will have 11 hours at the mall.. decent sized table and I can bring mine and two included !Very long day, but I feel it will be worth it and thinking about it makes me so excited LOL

I did a event yesterday and it was a one day event and it costed me 37.00 and I got 4 parties booked and I also did 500 in sales so it was totally worth it for me. I have found that sometimes doing events it isn't always about selling it is about the bookings cause those bookings are going to keep your business going. So I hope you have a better look on if it is worth it.

great Christina, I hope we are as successful..I doubt we will even use the chairs they provide us, but I know I will have to take breaks as I am 3 months post op of a spinal fusion!

My friend and I just did a craft fair yesterday. The fee was $20 and went to the school's PTA. We did 2 $20 gc (one from each of us) for the raffle, and we have $200 in sales, 2 shows on the books, 2 maybe catalog shows, and a solid recruit lead. Of course we split things but the way we are doing it is that the two shows on the books are mine since I knew the people to start with (neighbors), she has the two maybe shows, and we may just put the show under her so that she has a show for this month (its a slow month for both of us). The recruit lead we'll work together but she really 'read' the women well from the start, even though the woman's daughter is in my DD's class and I know her. So we'll see. But we are happy with our return on the $60 investment.
Oh it ran from 10-2 (so we were there from 830-245)

I love booths! I have done them since I started. I was supposed to do one in May but my grandfather passed away. So my first this year was in November and was a TOH Cooking School. From that one I got 10 bookings and a possible recruit, it cost me $245. The next day was a Craft Fair in a neighboring town. It cost me $20 and I had $200 in cash n carry, $550 in orders, 1 booking and THREE possible recruits. Yesterday I had a small craft fair (12 vendors) in a VERY small town. This is my third year doing it, it was $20. I had about $200 in cash n carry sales, 1 booking and $400 in sales. It is what you make it. I know you HAVE to talk to people. Don't expect them to come to you. They can't get interested if you don't have something to sell (yourself included!).

I've done a few and had good luck with the other vendors. I personally talk to each of them, give them a business card, act interested in there business. Gotten bookings and sales that way, in addition to the visitors.

Jules711 said:
I think if you get a booking, the booth is a success. They idea is to get new leads. I don't need someone to be interested in hosting a show to consider them a good lead either. I have a lot of people that just buy from me b/c they don't want to do shows. I am sure to get email addresses. I send a monthly e-newsletter and randomly get contacted by them or people they know.

On the note of s/h, I tend to pay for the direct s/h upgrade. People are so happy about that. It costs me, but it saves my sanity. Plus, it's a write-off at least.

I have been doing this, too and did not know it was a write-off! Thank you for the heads up-

I have done 6 booths since September. I feel they are well worth it. I give our recipe cards with a label on them with my name, phone#, email address, and website address on them. I speak to EVERYONE! Few people say no to a recipe card. I have had probably 200 contacts from all the booths. One lady who booked had a $500 Show... I have several customers who purchase $25-50 each month from me which is great! Those orders help "boost a show" to the next level sometimes. They are "steady customers" who I offer "free shipping" to almost every time. I have had only two "bad booths"...one had no contacts and no sales, but it was only $10; the other one had only one contact and no sales, but I am hoping that contact will do a Show in January. I have found booths have opened up my "customer contact base" so that I have different people looking for things. You can write off the cost of the booth, any flyers you copy, mileage to and from, food you eat there, etc. You'd be surprised at how much can come off. If you buy a table to use at the booth, that is also a business expense!

Where so you find booths? I have only seen one so far and it already had a PC consultant?

bobbyjack said:
Where so you find booths? I have only seen one so far and it already had a PC consultant?

The easiest way that I find booths is to go to craft fairs and ask the vendors where and when the future fairs will be. Ask if they only allow hand made items.

Once you start doing booths, coordinators of future fairs will approach you and invite you to future fairs.

Find your local United Way and find out if they have anyone doing craft fairs to support them.

Good luck!

I did 2 booths this yr and honestly I never sell anything. But I do get bookings. The key to booths is the follow up.

I did an outdoor both, and yes, I live in Michigan and did the booth in my hometown. It was soooo cold. The booths were literal booths, like tiny houses, no insulation and not sealed from wind. We insulated with old blankets. I shared the booth with two other consultants. It cost about an average of $35 for 8 hours. I took 16 hours, total, so $70. I worked three, four hour shifts and gave a four hour shift away. I ended up getting the shift back because of a funeral, but I didn't stay. That's a different story, not relevant.

I won't be doing it again, but I sold about $150 in product, some cash and carry, some orders. I may have received one booking lead. We just haven't connected for a date, but I think it will pan out. I handed out a lot of recipes and mini catalogs. It was fun talking to people, too.

1. How can I determine if I am selling or booking enough to justify the cost of a booth at a trade show?

There are a few factors to consider when determining if a trade show booth cost is justified. First, calculate the number of sales or bookings you have made directly from leads generated at the trade show. Also, consider the potential for future sales from follow-up with leads and networking opportunities. Additionally, think about the exposure and brand recognition your company receives from being at the trade show. All of these factors contribute to the overall return on investment for the booth cost.

2. What is the average cost for a booth at a trade show?

The cost of a trade show booth can vary greatly depending on the size and location of the show, as well as the industry and type of booth space (i.e. standard, corner, island). On average, a 10x10 booth can cost anywhere from $2,000 to $10,000. It is important to research and budget for booth costs before committing to a trade show.

3. Are there any tips for reducing the cost of a trade show booth?

Yes, there are a few ways to potentially lower the cost of a trade show booth. Some companies offer early bird discounts for reserving a booth space well in advance. You can also consider sharing a booth with another company in a complementary industry to split the cost. Another option is to negotiate with the trade show organizers for a discounted booth rate.

4. How do I know if a trade show is worth the booth cost?

To determine if a trade show is worth the booth cost, research the demographics and attendees of the show to see if they align with your target audience. Look at the number of exhibitors and attendees from previous years to get an idea of the potential reach and networking opportunities. Additionally, consider any speaking opportunities or workshops that may be included with the booth cost.

5. Is it better to have a smaller booth at a more expensive trade show, or a larger booth at a less expensive trade show?

This ultimately depends on your company's goals and budget. A more expensive trade show may attract a larger, more targeted audience, but a larger booth at a less expensive trade show may allow for more visibility and potential sales. It is important to weigh the pros and cons and consider the potential return on investment for each option.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
saleenkitchen
  • pamperedcheermom
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies