• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Effective Is a $1000 Mystery Host Catalog Show in Boosting Sales?

In summary, Joanne created a $1000 Mystery Host Catalog Show flyer. She got the idea from a website, tweaked it to fit her, and is mailing it out to hosts. If it works, she plans to enter it into the sell-a-thon.
ChefinHarmony said:
Shipping...well I am going to have it all shipped here and I will sort it out for everyone. I already had a past host offer to help me deliver the items in her area (when she gave me her yes vote). The prize winners will will be have their orders entered under the Grand Prize winner's name (one Host) or I could list it as co-hosting too. That's the only thing we (my recruiter and I) were worried about - the warranty issues. I am going to put a HUGE note/disclaimer on the reciepts that state, "If you have a problem with any of your items, please contact me first as this was a special show and submitted differently to Home office" - my recruiter says she does that all the time when it comes to combining orders under one name and the guests usually don't mind. I'm excited!!
Joanne

I'm thinking I might simplify and just pay "consultant gift/tax deductible)" direct shipping to each - they can pay $4 and I can pay the difference.

ChefinHarmony said:
Shipping...well I am going to have it all shipped here and I will sort it out for everyone. I already had a past host offer to help me deliver the items in her area (when she gave me her yes vote). The prize winners will will be have their orders entered under the Grand Prize winner's name (one Host) or I could list it as co-hosting too. That's the only thing we (my recruiter and I) were worried about - the warranty issues. I am going to put a HUGE note/disclaimer on the reciepts that state, "If you have a problem with any of your items, please contact me first as this was a special show and submitted differently to Home office" - my recruiter says she does that all the time when it comes to combining orders under one name and the guests usually don't mind. I'm excited!!
Joanne

Why not just enter each orderer under their own name - get their contact info (future contacting abiliies - add to newsletter). Any expenses will be business expenses? You can send them thank you notes if you have their address info?

pchefinski said:
I've started telling my hosts that I need full contact information, including address and phone number, to be able to process the order through the computer. A little white lie, but I can't stand not being able to have some sort of info for people; info that I need in case of product issues, etc., as well as for CC.)

I tell them (and this true) that I give PC their full informtion so, should they lose ME, they can call PC with their problems and PC has a better chance of looking them up. I've actually been able to return full sets of cookware for people I just met a show b/c they had provided full information. :)

great advice Susan. I was thinking about the Host thing putting everyones order under the host.(to save time) Thanks for thinking of that, I deffinately need the contacts and you never know I may not be here in a year and HO needs to be able to find them. Now I dont have to feel unconfortable asking for all that info. : )

Chef Diane said:
great advice Susan. I was thinking about the Host thing putting everyones order under the host.(to save time) Thanks for thinking of that, I deffinately need the contacts and you never know I may not be here in a year and HO needs to be able to find them. Now I dont have to feel unconfortable asking for all that info. : )

Yup~ you are doing it for them. :) You are welcome.

I am doing a Multi-Host show in Nov. I contacted everyone that has said I want to but no space, no time, etc. I found a bowling alley to let us use a lounge, they will do all the table set ups and families even get discounted bowling during the show!! I am having incentives for hosts for the most attendees, outside orders, bookings(close by Dec.15 of course) and sales.
I currently have 11 hosts, some are reserving space for 15 people! How do I keep the attention of the crowd with this many people. I never play games at my shows but I will need something for this one. I thought Bingo, But I can't immagine making all those cards w/ pc items on them. Any suggestions???

RitaKey said:
I am doing a Multi-Host show in Nov. I contacted everyone that has said I want to but no space, no time, etc. I found a bowling alley to let us use a lounge, they will do all the table set ups and families even get discounted bowling during the show!! I am having incentives for hosts for the most attendees, outside orders, bookings(close by Dec.15 of course) and sales.
I currently have 11 hosts, some are reserving space for 15 people! How do I keep the attention of the crowd with this many people. I never play games at my shows but I will need something for this one. I thought Bingo, But I can't immagine making all those cards w/ pc items on them. Any suggestions???

I would just do it boutique style. Maybe have an interative station where they can chop celery or potatoes with the chopper... peel apples with the APSC... do a drawing, have treats, maybe top an already made cookie or brownie pizza (but have extras already prepared to give everyone a taste. Good luck.

Cindycooks said:
WooHoo - I sent out a mass email to all my past hosts and customers last night - so far I have 2 people interested!

Me too - - actually sent out several emails. I heard it's best (even through website) to send out only 7-8 at a time, because SPAM filters sometimes place emails with large lists of recipients to junk mail.

UPDATE... It's official! My "Deadline" to enter was today. Before I even started my calls, I had answers back from all but 5 people out of 25. I called them tonight like I warned them I would! I only had to leave one message and I actually said "Sorry you weren't able to participate this time - but let me know if you need anything before Christmas!" I talked to the other 4 people directly - 1 in, other 3 out. But I had a nice "customer care" call with them so it wasn't a total waste - one may do a show after the new year.

Now HERE WE GO!! I have to mail out 2 packets tomorrow - but I am up to TWELVE - I am soooo glad I mailed out 25, because it shows that it's only about 50% takers. One participant wasn't even on my list. There were a couple "sure things" in my mind that just couldn't do it right now (final exams, moving, etc).

Now I just sit back until Nov. 19th - that's the follow-up call to see how the orders are going - and ALL my participants know I will be calling them!

One thing I'm tickled about - only 2 participants are family members (one niece and one sister). That shows me that I have established a "business" this past year - it's not just good friends & family that buy from me!

Try it - this works!!:D

Joanne

PS. I presented this at my cluster meeting this weekend and I could hardly contain my excitement!! I hope it pays off for all of you! Please keep me posted....

Okay I'm considering this, but I'm not a big fan of putting $$ out. LOL so, tell me what your expected COSTS are for doing this. I'm making the final push to earn Atlantis and this may help a little! :)

Pampered Laura said:
Okay I'm considering this, but I'm not a big fan of putting $$ out. LOL so, tell me what your expected COSTS are for doing this. I'm making the final push to earn Atlantis and this may help a little! :)

The cost is minimal since most are doing this by email and then phone. All we are doing is a mystery host show so the host benefits are paid for by TPC. So the only cost to you is the celebrate/gift you give to the host that brings in the most $ in orders. For a $1000 show you make a commission of at least $200. A few of us are offering a bit of an incentive - a celebrate plate (or other gift) for the participant that brings in the most $s in sales which runs about $25 before discounts as well as an season best to each participant (10 people =$10) so out of the commission you'd pay less than $35 and you can put the gifts onto their orders as a consultant gift. You can decide not to do the gifts to the participant or the person with the highest $s in sales brought in just make sure you make the appropriate edits to what you email or send through USPS mail.

Laura,
I'll figure out expenses as I talk through it....

Initial Mailing
Holiday Paper Package (paper, co-ordinating envelopes, labels etc) = $9.99 + tax (You could just do paper, but I liked the Holiday envelope to draw attention this early in the season)
Mini-Holiday catalogs = $3.00
Postage (I put a Mini Holiday Catalog in there so it cost $0.67 to mail each one & I sent out 25) = $16.75

Packets
3 catalogs each so figure 30 catalogs = $11.70 (at 100 price)
Outside Order forms - printed on my computer
Host Specials (Dec - Feb) - printed on my computer
(you figure in what you want for that since we are all different in printing/copies)

Mailing Packets
I only had to mail 4 out of 10 (hand delivered the other ones because I see the people at various functions) - so another $10 mailing at $2.50 each

Other "expenses" (I don't count these because I would have/use them even if I wasn't selling PC)
Email follow-up
Phone call follow-up (twice)

Total out of pocket so far.... $51.44

Future expenses - Delivery of Items - gas, time or postage
I did have one Host offer to help deliver the items in her town - that helps.

Now if that seems High to some, I don't really think so. I see passing out my catalog as an "investment". After getting a $1,009 online order (YES that did happen!!) from a catalog that got passed down a few people, I encourage people to take them and share! So I would take off the $11.70 + $3.00 (mini). And commission on a $1000 show is $250 (based on your selling level and $15K sales) PLUS this is the month to earn Free Spring Product and I am aiming for Level two. And for your case, if you could hit Atlantis.... I would probably qoute the commercial "PRICELESS!" :D

Did I leave anything out? I appreciate this because I am giving a brief talk about it at a Hospitality Meeting tonight and I can mention this too!!

Thanks!
Joanne

That is a great breakdown, thanks Joanne.

I must be missing something, that's not unusual for me..lol! How can each host get a $1000 show benefit and then someone win $215 in free product? What are you giving each host?? I'm confused.

OK...I guess I should read closer. Each host only gets a small prize from you and a CHANCE to win the $1000 show benefit. That makes sense now. I'm a nut.

I thought I'd throw in an update too....

I have six confirmed who want to do it! Woo hoo. AND since I wasn't quite getting the response I was hoping for to get to the full 10 people, I started telling some who have already committed that I'd give them an entry into the drawing if they refer someone else who wants to do it (and it won't take away from the orders they were hoping to collect). AND the last one I just got to do it wants me to give her 4 other packets for people she knows! That pretty much gets me to 10 people, but I'm still going to be following up with the others over the next day or two to see if I can get a couple more just in case some don't follow through.

If some of you who are doing this aren't getting the response you were hoping, I'd throw the extra chances for entries out to them.

Luckily, 3 of the 10 are local enough where I dont have to mail their packets and I can pass those 4 extra packets off to the same person for HER to pass out. Yay!:D

Some consultants are giving gifts - I'm not. I MAY give each one a "Celebrate" cookbook at the end (unadvertised) as a "Thank you for participating in my 1st Anniversary Show." If I can round up 10 cookbooks! That's what's great about this - you are in control.

I already have one that wants to turn in her orders this Thursday and be done with it. I'm fine with that too!

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions...
Joanne

Update on my Mystery HOst Catalog show. I have 9 comfirmed yes's and 1 waffler. I am sending the all 10 packets today and I am planning to collect a few outside orders to make it to $1000. What do I do if people fall short of the $100 needed to participate? What if they are only able to get $80 in orders?

My little "disclaimer" was that whatever the final total for the show came to be - if only $700 worth of orders were submitted or only 7 people participated, then the FREE amount was based on that level. Meaning, instead of $215 free it would only be $140 free. It's totally up to you. If 9 out of the 10 collect $100 or more and one person submits only $80 - then you could say "thanks for the order, but you won't be included in the drawing". I'm encouraging people to ask their sister, Mom, etc and give them part of the Free stuff "if" they win.

I'm up to 15 in! A relative called "mad" at me because she heard about it through someone else, so she's in now too! :D

I have someone turning in her orders on Thursday and another person wants to turn them in on Monday.

Have fun!
Joanne

My update was not as good!
I sent out 30 holiday packs like Chef Harmony and only got 2 takers! :O( Plus I mass emailed like 140 contacts and still only 2!! Needless to say only 1 is now doing her own catty show hopefully she can qualify it!

heat123 said:
My update was not as good!
I sent out 30 holiday packs like Chef Harmony and only got 2 takers! :O( Plus I mass emailed like 140 contacts and still only 2!! Needless to say only 1 is now doing her own catty show hopefully she can qualify it!

I emailed a ton of people and did not get a single bite. I'm only in my SS3 so I don't realy have a customer base yet. I probably will try this again next year for both the spring-sell-a-thon and the fall-sell-a-thon.

I thought for sure I'd get more takers with that many mailed and emails! But perhaps I will try again next year too~

heat123 said:
I thought for sure I'd get more takers with that many mailed and emails! But perhaps I will try again next year too~

My feeling is that it cost just about nothing to do this and if it results in a show then the payoff is fantastic. If it doesn't I've wasted some postage that I can write off as a business expense.

Chef In Harmony

I really like your idea and I hope you do well with it (umm not sure if you have this done yet, I haven't read all the messages in this thread yet)!!! My first year anniversary isn't until April, but your idea might be a good thing to try out next year leading up to Christmas.... I hope you don't mind if I might borrow your idea next year!

Hey!!! nice going on the bookings too!!! thats excellent!!!

Cheers!

ChefinHarmony said:
Okay - One more post from me on this thread!! Here's an update.....

Yesterday I had 8 firm "Yes" votes. And I got 1 from a friend who was listening in as I passed out a Host packet to one of my participants. She said "Hey, I WANT in!!" I didn't see that one coming!!

Well, I started my follow-up calls today. And let me tell you 2 of my calls didn't even open up my letter! They were opening it as I talked to them! SEE!!

Anyway, I hit TEN - YAH-HOO!!!!!! AND I left messages for 5 other people - one was a yes about a month ago when I first mentioned it, so I just need a FIRM yes from her. Then there is one more that is a maybe. So technically, I could have 15 in!!

Here's the plus - one already has over $100 collected and I got 2 bookings for 1 January and 1 February out of it! Remember they get an extra entry when they book a show!

I am LOVING this!! The neat thing... this is all in addition to my regular shows this month. I have four on the schedule & one is a large fundraiser. Oh, how I want to hit Level 2!!

Have fun!!
Joanne

I too am not even a year into this business, and also don't have much of a customer base yet. So I'm going to wait until this time next year to do this promotion.

Cheers

tlennhoff said:
I emailed a ton of people and did not get a single bite. I'm only in my SS3 so I don't realy have a customer base yet. I probably will try this again next year for both the spring-sell-a-thon and the fall-sell-a-thon.

ChefinHarmony said:
Well after much discussion with my recruiter - she helped me soooo much - I came up with my $1000 Mystery Host Catalog Show flyer. I got the idea from here a long time ago and then tweaked it to fit me (1st anniversary, timeline, etc). I wanted to share it with all of you!!

If it works, it should be great! Hopefully help me hit Level 2 of the sell-a-thon. I just mailed it on Friday and I have three FIRM "yes" names!! I'm doing this in addition to my scheduled shows and a fundraiser.

I started the "buzz" about it with my Sept. Hosts and ALL of them said they were in at that time. I bought a packet/kit of Christmas paper, envelopes, labels, etc for $9.99 from OfficeMax - set if 25 - and printed it - they looked very professional. Then I put a Mini-Holiday Catalog in each one with a little flyer about the November Host/Guest Special since it is one of the prizes.

I sent out 25 total and figured if I got more than 10 involved, I would split it into 2 separate Catalog shows. I also changed it a bit and sent it to 6 preferred customers that have never hosted.

I put a FIRM timeline on there and intend to call each and every person by next week. I intend to have it entered by the end of the month.

I'll keep you updated and let you know if it works!!

Thanks!!
Joanne

Wow!!!
And thank you!
This is exactally what I was looking for.
I changed a few things for myself, but I will pray that it goes well for you and me!
Schel

Chef Diane said:
I sent out my reminder/follow-up today. Hope it helps generate more interest. <crossing fingers>

Whatcha using for a reminder/follow up email/flyer? Can I see? I have 12 involved (in case one or two fall short). I'm so excited!

chefwatson4 said:
I am getting really frustrated right now. Everytime I click on something it tells me to log in again. Is anyone else having this problem???? I wanted to see Joanne's flyer.

MEEEEEE! I emailed the administrator - no response

ChefinHarmony said:
Laura,
I'll figure out expenses as I talk through it....

Initial Mailing
Holiday Paper Package (paper, co-ordinating envelopes, labels etc) = $9.99 + tax (You could just do paper, but I liked the Holiday envelope to draw attention this early in the season)
Mini-Holiday catalogs = $3.00
Postage (I put a Mini Holiday Catalog in there so it cost $0.67 to mail each one & I sent out 25) = $16.75

Packets
3 catalogs each so figure 30 catalogs = $11.70 (at 100 price)
Outside Order forms - printed on my computer
Host Specials (Dec - Feb) - printed on my computer
(you figure in what you want for that since we are all different in printing/copies)

Mailing Packets
I only had to mail 4 out of 10 (hand delivered the other ones because I see the people at various functions) - so another $10 mailing at $2.50 each

Other "expenses" (I don't count these because I would have/use them even if I wasn't selling PC)
Email follow-up
Phone call follow-up (twice)

Total out of pocket so far.... $51.44

Future expenses - Delivery of Items - gas, time or postage
I did have one Host offer to help deliver the items in her town - that helps.

Now if that seems High to some, I don't really think so. I see passing out my catalog as an "investment". After getting a $1,009 online order (YES that did happen!!) from a catalog that got passed down a few people, I encourage people to take them and share! So I would take off the $11.70 + $3.00 (mini). And commission on a $1000 show is $250 (based on your selling level and $15K sales) PLUS this is the month to earn Free Spring Product and I am aiming for Level two. And for your case, if you could hit Atlantis.... I would probably qoute the commercial "PRICELESS!" :D

Did I leave anything out? I appreciate this because I am giving a brief talk about it at a Hospitality Meeting tonight and I can mention this too!!

Thanks!
Joanne

I only gave 1 or 2 catalogs & a mini or two (since I don't want them to feel like it's a full catalog show) and lots of order forms (I print on both sides).

Last edited:
its_me_susan said:
Whatcha using for a reminder/follow up email/flyer? Can I see? I have 12 involved (in case one or two fall short). I'm so excited!

Susan I used and revised the one I found on here, page 2 post #28. Hope that helps

I did the $1000 Mystery Host catalog show. It ended up with a little over $1100 in sales.... I ended up only having 5 participants 5 dropped out on me. One past host had $400 in orders and booked a show. One had $200 in orders. Everyone else had about $120 in orders. Then I had a few extra orders I threw on there. I was worried for a while but it worked out!

pchefjennoy said:
I did the $1000 Mystery Host catalog show. It ended up with a little over $1100 in sales.... I ended up only having 5 participants 5 dropped out on me. One past host had $400 in orders and booked a show. One had $200 in orders. Everyone else had about $120 in orders. Then I had a few extra orders I threw on there. I was worried for a while but it worked out!

Congrats! Not bad with only 5 participants--upped their odds on winning!

Great results! Wish I had any luck with it but unfortunately only had 2 takers and 1 ended up attempting a catty show on her own but have not heard from her in over 2 weeks! So it was not a success for me! :O(

I think I will try this for the June sell a thon. My 2 year anniversary will be in July.

I was VERY pleased with my results.....it ended up being a $1600 show! And a catalog show grew off of that (I let her just do her own since I knew I'd have at least the $1000 in orders) that ended up being $650! Way worth it in my case. It was a bit of a scramble down to the wire, but it all worked out great. I did have a handful of the 10 people not end up doing because they didn't collect any orders (I think there were 3 or 4), but luckily others made up for the slack and I added a few individual orders. It definitely helped me have my best month ever ($7468 in sales-therefore level 3 of the sell-a-thon) and very well will be what will earn me the Atlantis trip. I had a few December hosts postpone, so doing this sell-a-thon REALLY helped!!! :D

If it didn't work out for you this time, definitely try again! Do it during a sell-a-thon month or double points month, or a month you really need sales. In my case, it definitely seemed that past hosts who had good shows and/or those who really understand our awesome host program are the ones who were very excited about the opportunity.:D

pamperedbecky said:
I was VERY pleased with my results.....it ended up being a $1600 show! And a catalog show grew off of that (I let her just do her own since I knew I'd have at least the $1000 in orders) that ended up being $650! Way worth it in my case. It was a bit of a scramble down to the wire, but it all worked out great. I did have a handful of the 10 people not end up doing because they didn't collect any orders (I think there were 3 or 4), but luckily others made up for the slack and I added a few individual orders. It definitely helped me have my best month ever ($7468 in sales-therefore level 3 of the sell-a-thon) and very well will be what will earn me the Atlantis trip. I had a few December hosts postpone, so doing this sell-a-thon REALLY helped!!! :D

If it didn't work out for you this time, definitely try again! Do it during a sell-a-thon month or double points month, or a month you really need sales. In my case, it definitely seemed that past hosts who had good shows and/or those who really understand our awesome host program are the ones who were very excited about the opportunity.:D

Way to go Bevky!!:D

dannyzmom said:
Way to go Bevky!!:D
Thank you!!!!:D I'll REALLY be doing the happy dance when it's all official on the IPT, but I'm daydreaming all about Atlantis. I heard parts of Atlantis are in the new James Bond movie that's out right now and I may want to go see it just for that reason!!!:)

My Results......I am so tickled to read everyone's results! Way to go Becky!! I agree - the past hosts who understand our great program were the ones who jumped on board right away. Here are my results.....

I just wanted to give you all a final tally on my "1st Anniversary Mystery Host Show". It was a HUGE success. ALL my participants were great and truly thrilled with the turnout - even the ones who didn't technically "win" and just got the 30% off were happy! All but one of them took advantage of the 30% off so here is my final "commissionable sales" total.....

$1,577.38 with 5 Bookings!

YEAH!!! The Guest sales ended at $1,211.11 so they spent an additional $360+ with the 30% off! Oh, and technically, I should add an extra $155.28 because one participant wanted her stuff early - before the end of the month, so she pulled out and did her own catalog show. So the Grand Total is $1,732.66 if you look at it that way!

Everyone said to include them in this if I do it again - even others who said "No" this time said to call them if I do it again! I think I may limit it to an "annual" thing just to keep the anticipation going and not take away from them doing "Home" shows. But I do have 4 bookings for Jan & Feb out of it - 2 are repeat Hosts.

I think it was well worth the estimated $52 investment (catalogs, mailing, etc) and the time I put into the emails/phone calls for follow-up. And I plan to delivery them personally and spend time visiting/thanking each person before the holidays.

I also had my best month ever too - $6,336 in sales, but two of the shows submitted were from October, so I only hit Level 2 of the sell-a-thon, but I'm Happy!!:D :D :D

Everyone who did it should report their results - and let me know if you do it in the future!!

Thanks!!
Joanne

That's great, Joanne!! Wow, you had a wonderful month. Way to go!!

I just found this website the other day. Wish I'd known about it sooner! I would have loved to try this idea! Next year!!:eek:

ChefinHarmony said:
Well after much discussion with my recruiter - she helped me soooo much - I came up with my $1000 Mystery Host Catalog Show flyer. I got the idea from here a long time ago and then tweaked it to fit me (1st anniversary, timeline, etc). I wanted to share it with all of you!!

If it works, it should be great! Hopefully help me hit Level 2 of the sell-a-thon. I just mailed it on Friday and I have three FIRM "yes" names!! I'm doing this in addition to my scheduled shows and a fundraiser.

I started the "buzz" about it with my Sept. Hosts and ALL of them said they were in at that time. I bought a packet/kit of Christmas paper, envelopes, labels, etc for $9.99 from OfficeMax - set if 25 - and printed it - they looked very professional. Then I put a Mini-Holiday Catalog in each one with a little flyer about the November Host/Guest Special since it is one of the prizes.

I sent out 25 total and figured if I got more than 10 involved, I would split it into 2 separate Catalog shows. I also changed it a bit and sent it to 6 preferred customers that have never hosted.

I put a FIRM timeline on there and intend to call each and every person by next week. I intend to have it entered by the end of the month.

I'll keep you updated and let you know if it works!!

Thanks!!
Joanne

Just wanted to say I got an extra $1000 show in November because of this fabulous and fun idea! Thank you!!!! I'm planning to do it again in February. I already have 2 hosts who are interested. Yea

I had a $600 show by trying this in Nov. And only one of the participants would have ordeded without the challenge! Thanks for the idea!

1000 ShowI did this in November and ended up with a $1500 show. It was great.

Cindy Steiner

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cheflorraine
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Shows
2 3 4
Replies
Views