• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Something Different to Think About

In summary, the conversation was about choosing a political figure to have dinner with, regardless of whether or not the person's political views align with one's own. The participants shared their choices, including George W. Bush, Mike Huckabee, Laura Bush, Eleanor Roosevelt, Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter, Joe Lieberman, and even Hitler. Some also mentioned deceased figures they would like to have dinner with, such as Karen Carpenter, the disciples, and Queen Esther. The discussion also delved into the fascination with Hitler's actions and the desire to understand his motivations.
ChefLisa
Okay, this is not a political thread and there will be no disagreeing with anyone on it. It is not meant for that. I think I can delete it if it goes that way, but I hope it will not. It is meant to lighten the mood and look at things a little differently. Remember if anyone responds, it is their opinion and their opinion cannot be wrong. It belongs to them and that is all that matters.

My question to you is this, if you had to pick a political figure to have dinner with, with whom you do not always agree on his/her politics, who would it be?

I will start off by writing I do not always agree with George W Bush or Mike Huckabee. However, I think a dinner with my hubby and they and their wives would be so much FUN. They both have a great sense of humor and I really like Laura Bush. I think we would spend a lot of time laughing.

Have any of you seen Laura Bush on the Tonight Show in the past. She was so funny!

Do they have to be alive??? I would definitly pick Eleanor Roosevelt. She was so wise and full of helpful words.
If it was someone alive I'd go with Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter. They seem to be so compassionate and understanding. I think they would be very interesting.

Tammy

TammyStar said:
Do they have to be alive??? I would definitly pick Eleanor Roosevelt. She was so wise and full of helpful words.
If it was someone alive I'd go with Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter. They seem to be so compassionate and understanding. I think they would be very interesting.

Tammy

Hey, it's your opinion so if you would like to have dinner with someone dead, we can help you with the seance! Just kidding, it is your opinion so why not, the person can be dead!

I'd have to think about it, but whenever my DH gets asked this question, he says Hitler.

Dead people aren't usually great conversationalists. ;)I think I would enjoy dinner with Joe Lieberman. He seems like an interesting man, even though I don't necessarily agree with his politics.

janetupnorth said:
I'd have to think about it, but whenever my DH gets asked this question, he says Hitler.

Is that a sincere answer or one for shock value?

well if you asked me who I'd love to see in concert I would say Karen Carpenter. yeah yeah wouldn't be fun to go to a concert put on by a dead person, but she was a little before my time so I never got to hear her sing in person. She must have been awesome in person because she really could sing without all the "computerized fixing" that is done today or lip synching. She had an angelic voice.
And in my defense the original question is so hypothetical, I don't think any of us would get the chance to actually have dinner with a political figure, why not pick someone who is no longer with us??
Kind of like when my BF drools over a hot bikini model, I don't care, like he's ever gonna have a chance with her!!!!!!!

raebates said:

His sincere answer. He thinks the guy would be really intriguing to talk to and figure out why in the world he did what he did.

DH loves history.

It is amazing how Hitler mesmerized people and had them fooled and how he gathered so much power and followers. He thinks it'd be fascinating to study and know in-depth about it so it doesn't happen again later in history.

Personally, I'd like to have dinner with all the disciples to hear their stories of where they came from. They were all chosen from different walks of life and the stories are amazing.Or Queen Esther...a woman put in a very dangerous place for a very specific time...chosen by God for one purpose. Amazing how they trusted and what came of it!

I went through a stage in high school when I was fascinated with the same thing. I went so far as to read Mein Kampf. What's truly amazing is that he told everyone exactly what he was planning to do, then everyone acted surprised when he did it. I agree that it would be interesting to find out the answers to some of your DH's questions. However, from what I remember about Hitler, he wasn't exactly the kind of guy who would give a straight answer to that type of question.

janetupnorth said:
His sincere answer. He thinks the guy would be really intriguing to talk to and figure out why in the world he did what he did.

DH loves history.

It is amazing how Hitler mesmerized people and had them fooled and how he gathered so much power and followers. He thinks it'd be fascinating to study and know in-depth about it so it doesn't happen again later in history.

I love it. Your husband will learn about Hitler and then basically kick his butt! Okay, maybe not that drastic. As a Jew I have always heard we should never forget what happened because that is how we keep it from happening again. Tell your hubby, "Thank you!"

raebates said:

My grandfather would answer the same as Janet's DH- he is facinated by people like that, as far as what makes them tick.

I'd have to say I would love to have dinner with Ronald Reagan, and Abraham Lincoln...although I'm sure President Lincoln would not approve of the clothing we gals wear these days! :) LOL

I'm not sure the disciples count as political figures--though they were part of a radical movement that changed history.

raebates said:
I went through a stage in high school when I was fascinated with the same thing. I went so far as to read Mein Kampf. What's truly amazing is that he told everyone exactly what he was planning to do, then everyone acted surprised when he did it. I agree that it would be interesting to find out the answers to some of your DH's questions. However, from what I remember about Hitler, he wasn't exactly the kind of guy who would give a straight answer to that type of question.

Exactly, that is why he thinks lunch would be quite interesting. He was such a psychological fruitcake. It's be a challenge.

DH read that too...amazed by the same fact. He DID tell everyone. They basically finally caught him by what he wrote, yet many were fooled.

But we see that repeated throughout history...

...one more vote for a lifeguard at that gene pool! - He-he!

Do you think Mother Theresa would count as a Politcal Figure? Because she'd be facinating to eat lunch with.

I would love to have a meal with George Bush. He reminds me of my Grandpa, my dad's dad, who died about 5 years ago.

I'd allow her (though it's not my thread, so I have no authority whatsoever). She was photographed with oodles of world leaders. She even scolded Bill Clinton for his stance on abortion. She was one gutsy lady.

Okay, some have posted who they admire with whom they would like to eat. I would like to know who you do not agreee with, but still think would be interesting to share a meal.

Janet's husband had an interesting one.

This is meant to get everyone to look at the human side of everyone and not the political side of everyone. You can enjoy being with someone without agreeing on politics. As a matter of fact, one of my very best friends in the world shares different political views from me. We do not discuss politics very much. Instead we value each other for other reasons. She and I would do anything for each other. Along with with my twin sister, she is my 'go to person'.

So come on and share! Remember, you can never be wrong for your opinion.

ChefLisa said:
Okay, some have posted who they admire with whom they would like to eat. I would like to know who you do not agreee with, but still think would be interesting to share a meal.

Janet's husband had an interesting one.

This is meant to get everyone to look at the human side of everyone and not the political side of everyone. You can enjoy being with someone without agreeing on politics. As a matter of fact, one of my very best friends in the world shares different political views from me. We do not discuss politics very much. Instead we value each other for other reasons. She and I would do anything for each other. Along with with my twin sister, she is my 'go to person'.

So come on and share! Remember, you can never be wrong for your opinion.
Oh, I guess I missed the part about disagreeing with the person. It would have to be the Clintons. If I have to choose one, it will have to be Bill.

It was with whom you don't always agree...I'm sure I could argue with the disciples at times!

janetupnorth said:
It was with whom you don't always agree...I'm sure I could argue with the disciples at times!

You are so funny! Love ya!

ChefLisa said:
You are so funny! Love ya!

Hey, you really think I wouldn't have words with a guy who chopped off someone's ear! :yuck:;)

wow this is a tough one. do i have to have just one answer?

if so, mohandas ghandi. he tried to deny his heritage and then followed his true calling, and united dozens of groups under one banner.

eleanor roosevelt is a runner up for sure.

thanks for starting this thread!

janetupnorth said:
Hey, you really think I wouldn't have words with a guy who chopped off someone's ear! :yuck:;)

Sorry, I do not know anything about the disciples. Even though I have many, many Christian friends and a husband who is Catholic, I do not know much about Christianity.

ChefLisa said:
Sorry, I do not know anything about the disciples. Even though I have many, many Christian friends and a husband who is Catholic, I do not know much about Christianity.

I picked them because they were chosen by Christ from different walks of life...fisherman, tax collector, doctor, etc.

On the ear, when Christ was arrested one of the disciples got mad, drew his sword and chopped off a guard's ear.

janetupnorth said:
I picked them because they were chosen by Christ from different walks of life...fisherman, tax collector, doctor, etc.

On the ear, when Christ was arrested one of the disciples got mad, drew his sword and chopped off a guard's ear.

Well that is just plain yucky! I love my ears. They help me so much. I could not imagine losing them.:D:yuck:

ChefLisa said:
Well that is just plain yucky! I love my ears. They help me so much. I could not imagine losing them.:D:yuck:
Jesus didn't appreciate it either. He put the ear back on the guy's head and scolded the naughty disciple.

Since I have to share holiday dinners with a close family member who always seems to think his opinion is entertaining, I have no desire to dine with yet another person like this!!:)

Luckily, there are newspapers and magazines in the next room to take my mind off from the air bag!!

I will list people I would like to dine with that I find interesting...that would be Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, John Lennon...and yes, they have all passed on, but I would then get to dominate the conversation!!! (Just kiddin!!!:D)

Thank you for this thread, Lisa!

baychef said:
Since I have to share holiday dinners with a close family member who always seems to think his opinion is entertaining, I have no desire to dine with yet another person like this!!:)

Luckily, there are newspapers and magazines in the next room to take my mind off from the air bag!!

I will list people I would like to dine with that I find interesting...that would be Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, John Lennon...and yes, they have all passed on, but I would then get to dominate the conversation!!! (Just kiddin!!!:D)

Thank you for this thread, Lisa!

Thank you! Laughing in my chair about you dominating the conversation with the dead people.

Politician - Abrahan Lincoln. In large part because he & I are cousins (1st cousins 8 generations removed).Political Figure not a politician - Jesus, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Laura SecordCool dead person - Laura Ingalls Wilder, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Nellie McClung

Great choices...now who are Lucy Maud Montgomery & Nellie McClung? I have never heard of them.

I just thought of who I would love to hang out with and just see how they tick...the women that started the women's right to vote. I went to the Capital many years ago and they had a statue commemortating (sp?) these ladies. The statue was one big statue with just the bust of these women...so I named it the "three crabby women in a tub" statue!!! Ok...I didn't quite use the word crabby!!!

Just think of the guts these ladies must have had in the days before computers, etc. and all of the communications they put out to organize what they accomplished!!! Now that is persistence and patience!!

baychef said:
Great choices...now who are Lucy Maud Montgomery & Nellie McClung? I have never heard of them.

I just thought of who I would love to hang out with and just see how they tick...the women that started the women's right to vote. I went to the Capital many years ago and they had a statue commemortating (sp?) these ladies. The statue was one big statue with just the bust of these women...so I named it the "three crabby women in a tub" statue!!! Ok...I didn't quite use the word crabby!!!

Just think of the guts these ladies must have had in the days before computers, etc. and all of the communications they put out to organize what they accomplished!!! Now that is persistence and patience!!

I hope they had their heads too! :p;)

janetupnorth said:
I hope they had their heads too! :p;)

Oh Janet, naughty Janet!!!

Oh my goodness. I just had a great thought. Janet and I do not agree on everything. I want to have dinner with Janet!!! I could definitely see us bantering with sarcastic jokes all night. We might even pee in our pants from laughing so hard! Okay, hopefully we can contol ourselves. Janet, if we can meet for dinner, I will bring the Depends - just in case!:D

ChefLisa said:
Oh my goodness. I just had a great thought. Janet and I do not agree on everything. I want to have dinner with Janet!!! I could definitely see us bantering with sarcastic jokes all night. We might even pee in our pants from laughing so hard! Okay, hopefully we can contol ourselves. Janet, if we can meet for dinner, I will bring the Depends - just in case!:D

Only problem...I'm not a political figure...

This week is the first time I've gotten into political discussions - truth be told, I HATE discussing politics.

But sure, would love to do lunch someday! ;)

...oh and thanks for offering to bring the Depends, post children, I probably WOULD pee my pants!

I'm with Janet. I think the Disciples would be cool to have dinner with. Also Queen Esther since she was definitely "ahead of her time" for women. I have been watching the "Roots: The Next Generations" that takes it up to the 80s. It makes me cry to see how horrible the African-Americans were treated (and still are in some places). I was telling my DD today that it is amazing that women were given the right to vote many years before AAs...just because of some "red-necks" who couldn't believe anyone that wasn't White could have a brain! I would like to have dinner with Alex Haley and hear more about his Roots...and all the ones who have gone before him. If you have never seen these, I know NetFlix has the whole series including "Queen" about his great-grandmother. He is pretty honest in it as well, showing his own stupidity and losing his first wife to divorce for being too self-centered and driven towards writing and leaving everyone behind. He lived not far from me for about 5 years before he died.

janetupnorth said:
Personally, I'd like to have dinner with all the disciples to hear their stories of where they came from. They were all chosen from different walks of life and the stories are amazing.

Or Queen Esther...a woman put in a very dangerous place for a very specific time...chosen by God for one purpose.

Amazing how they trusted and what came of it!

Speaking of Bible people. . . I would love to have a chat with the woman who had an issue of blood that was healed just by touching Jesus' garment. I too, had an issue of blood for a very long time and for me it was the 'female kind' and thankfully I'm in the process of healing. But I have heard people say that they thought it was some kind of blood disease and not the "female" kind. Only she and the Lord know and if I could have dinner with her (and Jesus) it would definitely be AWESOME! But I can wait until I get to heaven.:angel:

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to provide a lighthearted and non-political discussion about having dinner with a political figure.

Can I express my opinion without fear of disagreement?

Yes, this thread is meant to be a safe space for expressing opinions without fear of disagreement.

Is it possible for someone's opinion to be wrong?

No, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and there is no right or wrong when it comes to personal beliefs.

Who would you choose to have dinner with, regardless of political differences?

Personally, I would choose to have dinner with Barack and Michelle Obama. While I may not always agree with their politics, I admire their intelligence, grace, and humor.

Have you seen any political figures show a great sense of humor?

Yes, I have seen Laura Bush on the Tonight Show in the past and I thought she was very funny. Her wit and humor added a different perspective to her role as First Lady.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• legacypc46
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • ChefLisa
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies