• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Limiting Posts to Business-Related Content on ChefSuccess

In summary, Greg suggests that the Chef's Lounge be limited to business-related posts in order to improve user flow and interaction on the site. He misses the "friendship, advice offered during personal hardships, and humor" that the site used to provide.
I don't think anyone meant to "attack" anyone. I think again we are reading too much into people's posts. I guess this is just another issue we will have to agree to disagree on.

I keep reading through these heated threads and it's tripping me out! Everyone is taking offense to everything, including myself, I took offense earlier today and was glad to get away for awhile.
For about 10 days before school started back for my kids, I was so busy with them, taking them for new clothes, school supplies, dentist appointments, hair cuts and all that fun stuff.... without my hubby home and in the mist of a $5000.00 month! I felt a little weird not coming on here much, I would go days without being on here. But I also feel like I wasn't stressed at all either ( I litteraly walk around my house thinking about CS toooooo much when there is a lot of "heated threads!") And now this past few days I'm on here more and feeling the stress of all the bickering. So I'm not done with CS, but I'm going to do what Rae always tells us and I'm going to pull up my big girl panties and avoid the finger pointing and belittling and just focus on business building threads. I want more months like last month, and bickering with members that I normally consider friends, is not suiting me right now!
And the more I think about it while I'm sitting here typing, the more I can just hear my pastor at church telling us that the #1 way the devil wins, how he gets a hold of us is when we take offense. Because love doesn't flow very easily when we are offended and I'd rather be forgiving and loving than offended and pissed.

So, I'm not leaving, I'm just going to spend less time on here again, and throw my business through the roof! I'm going to bring my timer down here and stay disciplined and only read the threads that pertain to the things I need the most to grow my business! When the timer goes off, I'm done, for the day. Especially during business hours! I might check in the lounge from time to time when it's the night time but I'm going to pray before I do so that Jesus will protect me from my own stupidity!!! Instead of controlling my tongue, I'll ask Him to control my fingers and of course my mind and reactions! I'll give it to Him and I'll be just fine!
Because I asked God to bless my business and I don't feel Jesus can move in me when I'm on here getting annoyed by everyone's comments. And even I got sucked into it today, and so, I'm sorry... and I'm sure she knows who she is, so I am sorry, and I now need to move on.

Last edited:
Oh and Kris (leggy), I pm'd you girl, You know I love ya and admire you so!;):):love:

Last edited:
Cathy...my pastor's wife always says "its the small foxes that spoil the vines" meaning its the little things...the things that don't really matter in the long run...that get us upset and distracted. Old Satan works hard to destroy us. If he can work in your family and break up the family he will, if he can get employees going at each other he will, the church is not safe from him either. He loves nothing more than stirring trouble in our churches. We forget that "we wrestle not against flesh and blood" but we continually wrestle Satan spiritually. We think its the other person, but really its just satan using the other person to "get our goat". We have to remember to step back and look at the big picture...is that normally how that person acts, is that something they would usually say or do, or are they having a bad day/week/month/year and it is getting the best of them. That is when we have to really pray hard for each other.

an example I like to remember is this...we have "secret pals" in our ladies group at church. It is suppose to be fun and to be a ministry...but people always get hurt because they feel their secret pal has forgotten them. One year I didn't get a gift or card all year. When it was my anniversary and birthday I really got angry at my secret pal because she forgot me. I was very hurt. (Its not about the gifts, its about letting someone know you are thinking about and praying for them) Well, when it came time to reveal our secret pals mine gave me a ton of stuff. She was trying to make up for the whole year...which she shouldn't have done. She had been going through a rough year. And she had finally gotten back on her feet. Her husband was injured in an accident and couldn't work. She had to take a part time job. They were struggling to make ends meet. And, my family had spent a lot of time with them that year. We were doing well...not rich, but comfortable...and we took them out to dinner a lot and just spent time together. We actually got pretty close. So, when I was feeling sorry for myself because my secret pal had "forgotten me" I was with her nearly every day...and I was able to minister to her during her rough time. I realized then that I was looking at it all wrong. I hope this makes sense...sometimes I tend to ramble.

It makes sense Shawna! And thanks for sharing! I enjoy all your posts and can tell when I have a fellow christian who is going to the type of church I do. The things you say on here make me nod in agreement! And I continue to look forward to getting to know my sister in Christ! God bless you and I love your signature!:angel:

I agree with the need to focus on business.... I will say I personally post on the lounge business ?s when I'm not sure what category my thread should fall into. Is the lounge technically for non PC related threads? Or is it just being used for non PC threads?

I don't have a problem with non PC posts. If I don't want to read them or respond to them I don't. I have limited my time on here. I wake up with my cup of coffee and CS before I go to my day job.:grumpy:

Shawnna great story and makes total sense. Your gift from God was that you were being a blessing to your secret pal and you didn't even know it! How exciting and what an example of how Gods plan is not always known to us, but is what is best!

Your story touched my heart this morning, thank you!
Tammy

I don't want to beat it into the ground. But I think the original issue that Kris was addressing is that sometimes the lounge posts can overwhelm the New Post list or the Today's Posts list. I know there have been many times that I have missed a thread for a while that I wish I had seen earlier because it got pushed down by new posts, this issue is especially magnified when you only have a limited amount of time. Sure there is a different way to search through the threads to avoid the lounge or any thread for that matter, but one can still seek a more convenient solution. No one wants to limit the amount that others can post about whatever they want, it's just a filtering issue. I'm sure that if it's an easy fix, Greg might give it attention, if not an easy then we'd have to address that when it comes to us. I guess we shall see.... :)

chefsteph07 said:
AGAIN, my post was not meant to be harsh and I was reiterating what Janet was saying about some having their focus on the lounge this week and taking away from the biz...it was not directed at ONE person, considering alot of others said the same thing..I was saying that for ME personally it hadn't taken anything away this week and if it is taking something away from YOURS (anyone in general) then maybe it is best to step off for a while.

You know, I really don't appreciate how I am feeling that I am being attacked all the time lately, esp when I was AGREEING with someone else's post.

Maybe *I* will step off for a bit since I seem to be offending so many.
Sorry.

Steph, first of all, please don't go! I am truly sorry that you felt attacked by me. I realised after posting (when I was in a hurry, trying to be quick to get up to help DH with the kids in the bath) that while posting that you *seemed* to be getting a little personal, that by mentioning you, I was doing the same thing. So, again, I'm sorry. And re-reading your post, I guess I wouldn't say so much that you were being personal as much as maybe a little critical. I would still stand by my point, that *all* of us have weaknesses, and if we can help someone with one (in a way that does not negatively effect others), then why not. But again, I'm sorry. And if it helps, I think that in the other thread, you were mis-understood by someone (can't remember who, don't want to go there here!), which unfortunately caused problems.

I think most of us here appreciate hearing others peoples opinions, even if we disagree, but in general (and this is not aimed at anyone in particular) I have disliked the number of posts where people are criticised or be-littled for their opinions.

But to get back to the issue at hand... How to reduce the number of lounge posts in the new threads section, which in the opinion of some of us, have lately "drowned out" the number of PC post that are visible there.

One idea I had, was to maybe start some groups where people can discuss certain topics. So for politics, may be have either an overall "election" group, or maybe a "Obama" group and a "McCain" group. (IMO a "republican" or "democrat" group would be less fun, as I think most of us have enjoyed the banter (as long as it is civil)). I had been debating recently starting a new weight-loss thread, but was also trying to figure out how to do it so that on "weigh-in" days posts don't overwhelm the new-posts area - I realise that not everyone is going to be interested in seeing how many lbs we all do (or don't!) drop :). I figured that starting a weightloss group could be a great answer! And it wouldn't be a big deal to once a week or so put a post reminding people to head to the group to chat and weigh in and give ideas and support.

So, what do y'all think about shifting certain things to a "group" for discussion?? Would this help relieve the "new posts" are but still give people a place to check in when they want to discuss politics and the election in general?

Does the "new posts" list really get that big? I have only just discovered this link, so bare with me. But if, say, 20 people make posts on the same thread, I thought only 1 thing comes up showing that there were new posts on that thread? When I click on new posts, I see a bunch from the lounge, but can very easily see the topics just by the title, or by hovering.

It's amazing how far technology has come and how fast and instantaneously we can get responses to our questions. For me, I don't mind having to scroll down a little bit or click to have to go to another page for the new posts, because it seems so fast for me. I don't feel like my time has been wasted.

A lot of us are at different stages in our lives, both personal and business. I would love to know that CS is a site where everyone's needs are fulfilled. If people need supposrt, they can freely come and share their happenings. If they are needing work help, it's there. There's a lot of PC business, but sometimes not much new info is going to be pouring in. Some days I may be tired and lonely or feel chatty and come here hoping to see non-pc topics. I like getting to know everyone a little better and learn about their views. Then when they are the ones answering my questions later, I feel like I know them. We aren't just blank blobs in cyberspace. Ya know?!

I have recommended this site to people in my cluster because I have thoroughly enjoyed it here. The ideas and help and encouragement here is amazing. Even if there are some distracting threads, I still feel that it doesn't take too long to do a slight sifting through. The amount of time I save when I can get newsletter ideas, flyers, advice for shows, tips on products, recipe ideas, etc. Just think of it! If we were all left to figuring all this out on our own how much time we would be spending and how frustrating it would all be!

Hope you don't mind my sharing these thoughts..:)

Amanda, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! :) Very well said...

AnnieBee said:
Steph, first of all, please don't go! I am truly sorry that you felt attacked by me. I realised after posting (when I was in a hurry, trying to be quick to get up to help DH with the kids in the bath) that while posting that you *seemed* to be getting a little personal, that by mentioning you, I was doing the same thing. So, again, I'm sorry. And re-reading your post, I guess I wouldn't say so much that you were being personal as much as maybe a little critical. I would still stand by my point, that *all* of us have weaknesses, and if we can help someone with one (in a way that does not negatively effect others), then why not. But again, I'm sorry. And if it helps, I think that in the other thread, you were mis-understood by someone (can't remember who, don't want to go there here!), which unfortunately caused problems.

I think most of us here appreciate hearing others peoples opinions, even if we disagree, but in general (and this is not aimed at anyone in particular) I have disliked the number of posts where people are criticised or be-littled for their opinions.

But to get back to the issue at hand... How to reduce the number of lounge posts in the new threads section, which in the opinion of some of us, have lately "drowned out" the number of PC post that are visible there.

One idea I had, was to maybe start some groups where people can discuss certain topics. So for politics, may be have either an overall "election" group, or maybe a "Obama" group and a "McCain" group. (IMO a "republican" or "democrat" group would be less fun, as I think most of us have enjoyed the banter (as long as it is civil)). I had been debating recently starting a new weight-loss thread, but was also trying to figure out how to do it so that on "weigh-in" days posts don't overwhelm the new-posts area - I realise that not everyone is going to be interested in seeing how many lbs we all do (or don't!) drop :). I figured that starting a weightloss group could be a great answer! And it wouldn't be a big deal to once a week or so put a post reminding people to head to the group to chat and weigh in and give ideas and support.

So, what do y'all think about shifting certain things to a "group" for discussion?? Would this help relieve the "new posts" are but still give people a place to check in when they want to discuss politics and the election in general?

Just go start a weight-loss group Annie - that would work.

Ann/Janet - Thanks for the feedback on the technical feasability (your expertise is always appreciated). If 'hiding' the lounge isn't doable, then that is that.

I didn't take personal offense as much as my frustration level simply peaked. I'm staying around...just a little burned out on all the non-PC stuff and disheartened at the some of the impoliteness.

For those who sent PM's, thank you.:)

legacypc46 said:
Ann/Janet - Thanks for the feedback on the technical feasability (your expertise is always appreciated). If 'hiding' the lounge isn't doable, then that is that.

I didn't take personal offense as much as my frustration level simply peaked. I'm staying around...just a little burned out on all the non-PC stuff and disheartened at the some of the impoliteness.

For those who sent PM's, thank you.:)

We're always glad to have you and have fun cheering for you. Just tell us what YOU need! :)

babywings76 said:
Does the "new posts" list really get that big?

this morning the "new posts" link is 9 pages long. :eek:

It depends on how often you log in, too.

Yes, the length of the "NEW POST" page depends on how often YOU log in. It breaks down the "NEW POST" for you.... they are "NEW POST" to you.... I was up late last night so mine this morning was 1 page.

Maybe I'm just cranky this morning, but I don't understand what the problem is? If it isn't PC related, and you don't want to read it..... DON"T

cwinter474 said:
Yes, the length of the "NEW POST" page depends on how often YOU log in. It breaks down the "NEW POST" for you.... they are "NEW POST" to you.... I was up late last night so mine this morning was 1 page.

Maybe I'm just cranky this morning, but I don't understand what the problem is? If it isn't PC related, and you don't want to read it..... DON"T

oh :blushing: that makes sense. i only get on here during my full time job & i dont work friday-sunday. so that would explain why every monday my new posts are sooooooo long! i just figured everyone had alot to say monday mornings :eek::blushing::rolleyes:

An alternative is to make the lounge (or some of the sub-forums) request only. DH has a section of the forum he runs set up that way. If you don't request access to it, then you never see anything from that area.

thecougchef said:
oh :blushing: that makes sense. i only get on here during my full time job & i dont work friday-sunday. so that would explain why every monday my new posts are sooooooo long! i just figured everyone had alot to say monday mornings :eek::blushing::rolleyes:

Oh Megan - that just made me laugh! So funny!

There is a lot to learn about how this site works - so don't feel too bad. But thanks for the laugh!:D

I am thankful that the lounge is in the bottom 2/3 of the page! That helps me stay away from it when I need to ...And I generally don't read the political threads but the one I've stepped into seems a lot more friendly than other places I've been ... where I've been burned so badly that I rarely post about anything political in public for fear my words will be twisted ...

Greg ... I was thinking about this issue further .... if there are enough political threads to justify it, can we consider making a separate folder (a sub-folder of the lounge, maybe) for political talk? Maybe then those of us who want to steer clear can do so more easily ...

Di_Can_Cook said:
Greg ... I was thinking about this issue further .... if there are enough political threads to justify it, can we consider making a separate folder (a sub-folder of the lounge, maybe) for political talk? Maybe then those of us who want to steer clear can do so more easily ...

That might be a good idea.
There are some PC related threads in the lounge that I wouldn't want to miss.

Di_Can_Cook said:

I think this would still show up in new posts though, so its only helping those who view by subject/category. Those of you who click on new posts would still see them, just with a different category listed to the right, much like the prayer requests do, and they are a sub-forum of the Chef's Lounge.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it should be left the same. Just go through and don't look at the lounge stuff. I always hover over a topic before I click on it to see if it is something I will be interested in. I enjoy the pc helpful info as well as the shoulders to cry on when you are having a hard time with your family, health, job, and whatever else is on your mind. I enjoy the dinner ideas, recipes tips and tons more. I have benifitted so much from chef success over the past year. When DS turned 2, I had so many folks help me out to find wonder pets ideas for his party. I couldn't have done that without the lounge. I have met so many nice folks on here and am thankful for everyone of you.

tabnat80 said:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it should be left the same. Just go through and don't look at the lounge stuff. I always hover over a topic before I click on it to see if it is something I will be interested in. I enjoy the pc helpful info as well as the shoulders to cry on when you are having a hard time with your family, health, job, and whatever else is on your mind. I enjoy the dinner ideas, recipes tips and tons more. I have benifitted so much from chef success over the past year. When DS turned 2, I had so many folks help me out to find wonder pets ideas for his party. I couldn't have done that without the lounge. I have met so many nice folks on here and am thankful for everyone of you.

DITTO!!! I so agree!

lacychef said:
That might be a good idea.
There are some PC related threads in the lounge that I wouldn't want to miss.

I still vote for a PC MISC Forum (or something like that) that would be separate from the Lounge. That way Lounge items would not be PC related.

tabnat80 said:

I agree, if you don't want to read what's int he lounge then don't open it, that simple. I see a topic, if it peaks my interest I open it, if not I don't. All the drama lately as kept me away from this site.

merego said:
I agree, if you don't want to read what's int he lounge then don't open it, that simple. I see a topic, if it peaks my interest I open it, if not I don't. All the drama lately as kept me away from this site.

I agree Merego!. I am considering cutting my time back on here b/c of some things that have gone on here lately.

"Can't we all just get along!" :) It saddens me that people are going to stop coming to CS due to all this. Please everyone, can we leave things alone and just click on things that we are interested in? It's got to be hard to customize a site so it would please everyone.

babywings76 said:
It's got to be hard to customize a site so it would please everyone.

My reasons have nothing to do with how the site it set up at all. I think Greg does an awesome job maintaining the site.

We are all adults here....I don't see why we can't just get along with one another. Leggy was just asking a question and a simple one at that. Why it had to get such rude comments is beyond me. We all need to just grow up and act like the adults we are.

For those of us who are christians, we should be even more careful not to judge, belittle, or offend.

(Colossians 4:6 KJV) Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

oh and here is one more I love....

(Psa 119:165 KJV) Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Just my thoughts on this thread.

Last edited:
jrstephens said:
My reasons have nothing to do with how the site it set up at all. I think Greg does an awesome job maintaining the site.

Please don't think I was suggesting that. :eek: My post came after yours, but wasn't directed towards any one person in particular. I was just sad that because of all the drama that this thread and other threads have stirred up it's scaring people away from CS.

Everyone is important, and all opinions are valued. That's why I was saying "can't we all just get along". I don't think people intended things to get so heated. Everyone has the best of intentions and as we can tell from all the posts...people care about each other, about this site, about PC, etc.

merego said:
All the drama lately as kept me away from this site.

Me too. It's probably why I've logged on once in the past 5-6 days or so! I like it for its helpfulness regarding business stuff, but also some of the more social stuff. It's definitely not the place it used to be, but I have faith it will cycle back to how it used to be. :) It definitely goes through cycles!

does everyone not see the point here???? this thread is now 5 pages long....how much time have we spent posting in it or reading it that we could have been working our businesses?? we are all human and can get pulled into things that are wrong, but if you are as honest with yourself as Kris has been, than you will see just how many threads are wrong and negative and lack substance related to our being PC consultants.

I have to say I have been on this forum for over 2 years, and only in the last 6-8 months have things really gotten bad with people pissing others off....not that it didn't happen before, it just wasn't the norm like it seems now. It doesn't seem to be cyclical this time like Kelly said......going to DCS to stay is NOT what yo want the "leaders" of this company that are on this forum to do....WAAAAY too much good info and advice among them that you all won't know you are missing until it's gone

chefmeg said:
does everyone not see the point here???? this thread is now 5 pages long....how much time have we spent posting in it or reading it that we could have been working our businesses?? we are all human and can get pulled into things that are wrong, but if you are as honest with yourself as Kris has been, than you will see just how many threads are wrong and negative and lack substance related to our being PC consultants.

I have to say I have been on this forum for over 2 years, and only in the last 6-8 months have things really gotten bad with people pissing others off....not that it didn't happen before, it just wasn't the norm like it seems now. It doesn't seem to be cyclical this time like Kelly said......going to DCS to stay is NOT what yo want the "leaders" of this company that are on this forum to do....WAAAAY too much good info and advice among them that you all won't know you are missing until it's gone
or reading into every word that they say.

Kris just asked a question and it's turned into way too big a discussion. She was not critical of anything anyone was doing she was just wondering if there was a way to not be tempted to see it if she so chose to do it. She is fully aware that she can just not click on the thread or avoid it other ways.

Let it go. I say, "Enough".

<h2>1. Can you provide a mechanism to ignore an entire forum?</h2><p>At this time, we do not have a feature that allows users to ignore an entire forum on ChefSuccess. However, you can choose to not read posts in specific forums by simply not clicking on them. We understand that there may be certain topics that you are not interested in, and we encourage you to focus on the business-related content that is valuable to you.</p><h2>2. Why are postings in the Chef's Lounge now accounting for half of the new posts?</h2><p>The Chef's Lounge is a place for our community to come together and connect, share personal experiences, and offer support to one another. While we do encourage business-related discussions, we also understand the importance of building relationships and fostering a sense of community among Pampered Chef consultants. We will continue to monitor and moderate the content in the Chef's Lounge to ensure it aligns with our community guidelines.</p><h2>3. Can you limit what I see to just business-related posts?</h2><p>We do not currently have a feature that allows users to filter out non-business related posts. However, you can choose to only click on and read posts that pertain to your business. We encourage you to use the search function to find specific topics that are relevant to you.</p><h2>4. Why have personal opinion and polarizing topics become more prevalent on ChefSuccess?</h2><p>We value everyone's right to an opinion and understand that there may be topics that are important to our community members. However, we do ask that all discussions on ChefSuccess remain respectful and civil. We will continue to moderate and remove any posts that violate our community guidelines.</p><h2>5. Can we go back to the supportive and resourceful community that ChefSuccess used to be?</h2><p>We are committed to fostering a positive and supportive community on ChefSuccess. While we understand that there may be disagreements and differences of opinion, we ask that all members treat each other with respect and kindness. We encourage you to continue to share your personal experiences and seek advice and support from the community, as long as it aligns with our community guidelines.</p>

1. Can you provide a mechanism to ignore an entire forum?

At this time, we do not have a feature that allows users to ignore an entire forum on ChefSuccess. However, you can choose to not read posts in specific forums by simply not clicking on them. We understand that there may be certain topics that you are not interested in, and we encourage you to focus on the business-related content that is valuable to you.

2. Why are postings in the Chef's Lounge now accounting for half of the new posts?

The Chef's Lounge is a place for our community to come together and connect, share personal experiences, and offer support to one another. While we do encourage business-related discussions, we also understand the importance of building relationships and fostering a sense of community among Pampered Chef consultants. We will continue to monitor and moderate the content in the Chef's Lounge to ensure it aligns with our community guidelines.

3. Can you limit what I see to just business-related posts?

We do not currently have a feature that allows users to filter out non-business related posts. However, you can choose to only click on and read posts that pertain to your business. We encourage you to use the search function to find specific topics that are relevant to you.

4. Why have personal opinion and polarizing topics become more prevalent on ChefSuccess?

We value everyone's right to an opinion and understand that there may be topics that are important to our community members. However, we do ask that all discussions on ChefSuccess remain respectful and civil. We will continue to moderate and remove any posts that violate our community guidelines.

5. Can we go back to the supportive and resourceful community that ChefSuccess used to be?

We are committed to fostering a positive and supportive community on ChefSuccess. While we understand that there may be disagreements and differences of opinion, we ask that all members treat each other with respect and kindness. We encourage you to continue to share your personal experiences and seek advice and support from the community, as long as it aligns with our community guidelines.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • c00p
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
elizabethfox
  • gilliandanielle
  • General Chat
Replies