• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Forums Change and Come and Go...

In summary, Janet saw that the moods come and go with the people, and that many good people have taken their focus away from the forum.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
Forums always change...the moods come and go with the people.

I wish that all those that were new could go back over the last few years and look over the history of this forum.

There were some heated debates...oh yes, more personal and attacking than any political thread here!

We learned fast through that to support each other.

I still truly believe those who have been on here for that long DO support each other personally and in their businesses and will continue to.

However, many good people have taken their focus from here. I miss them...
Many have chosen NOT to re-subscribe and not to contribute. It bugged me personally because I KNEW I'd miss their opinions...luckily I can see them elsewhere or connect with them via other means.

But, I saw then, and believe me, I see even clearer now why...

It was the off-topic stuff somewhat, but it was more than that...

It is a different maturity level in many areas of life, business mainly.

For those who don't get what I'm saying...remember this and look back about 5 years from now. The older you get, the more you realize what you thought you knew and really didn't.

Hopefully you'll learn the value of input from those who have walked before you.

You will learn to heed advice in business for what it is and try it before knocking it or claiming it won't work.

You won't complain when you have nothing to show because you know when you have worked for it vs. hoping it would fall in your lap.

You will celebrate even more for those accomplishments you have gained because you know all the sacrifices it took.

You will realize how every aspect of life is intertwined and that they key to a happy, productive life is joy and balance in all things. It is good to race towards goals, but not if you leave everything in your wake.

Those who know me well know my variety of life and areas I give. I gave much here in the past and would for the future, but I see a new group...a new group where a few spoil the whole...a group where the seeking to improve and sincere are outshouted by a few with a strong, but dare I say immature aspect of life. (Don't get your undies in your bundle if you are reading this and ASSUMING I mean you...I'm speaking in generalities and if you take offense, examine yourself, you must be identifying with something to take offense. These are thoughts of months, NOT TODAY.)

I will be here, I will be able to be contacted, but I too over the last few months have backed off my business postings and will continue that because overall life, family, and other activities have been blessed by that.

I totally agree, Janet!There are a lot of threads that I don't even open because I see who started them and just know that it's going to start out with whining for whining's sake. We all run into challenges, and it's OK to ask for help! But I get the impression that some people view this forum as their personal whining booth. And when suggestions are made, they have excuse after excuse why those suggestions won't work. With that defeatist attitude, no wonder they fail! I, too, would like to see more support. And I'm sad to see many members going away or greatly reducing their input here. Especially the Directors, who have so much to offer.

Janet I know you are a good hearted woman, I can read it in your posts. I will pray for you with your health concerns and know when I say I will pray I truly pray.

I am sorry you feel you need to back off your business postings, mostly because I have learned so much from you the past 4 months. I also understand we are here to build our businesses not just write back and forth, but know I like your posts they are very black and white I see no grey area with you and that reminds me of me.

Hope to here from you soon. I also will pray for your business to take on as you need it to to fit into your lifestyle (I'm talking how busy you are).

Janet, I am glad you have history here. I consider CS a great asset for business stuff. I have learned so much here, so much I have incorporated into my own business. And though you and I disagree on political stuff, I do value your opinions.

I wish I could have seen some of those older posts you talk about. I read through a few older posts (from a couple years ago) and can't make heads or tails of it. Probably best that way though, right?

Janet, Thank you for your post- It has summed up what I have tried to express for the last several weeks. I will continue to post, with what is working for me, so that it may help others as well. You can take it and try it, or ignore it and continue with the same ole same ole.

chefann said:
I totally agree, Janet!

There are a lot of threads that I don't even open because I see who started them and just know that it's going to start out with whining for whining's sake. We all run into challenges, and it's OK to ask for help! But I get the impression that some people view this forum as their personal whining booth. And when suggestions are made, they have excuse after excuse why those suggestions won't work. With that defeatist attitude, no wonder they fail!

I, too, would like to see more support. And I'm sad to see many members going away or greatly reducing their input here. Especially the Directors, who have so much to offer.

I totally miss alot of those Directors that have moved to DS!:cry: But I will still be here because CS has helped my business through the three years, since I first discovered it and joined TPC. I scroll alot of the threads lately but I still find helpful 411 for my business!

Don't worry, I'm not going away...just like Ann, KG and others...we're too stubborn overall, but we all can't focus on constantly giving business-wise when we don't see the work and response. I love seeing someone new take a great idea, use it and report their successes. We've lost a lot of that.

Oh Janet you better not be leaving us:(!!

I have cut back on business posting only if the person has received a great answer already and I don't have anymore to add.

yup.... I hear ya and agree whoe heartedly!

I agree Janet. :)

I tried to leave once my subscription was up but couldn't stay away! It's too helpful on here!

I agree with you totally Janet. I have been keeping my time here to bare minimum the past few weeks, & will continue to do so. I miss some of the directors that don't post anymore, & few not directors yet that don't post much. Too much political fights for me...I almost completely ignore the lounge now, unless I see it's biz related. Where I used to be on here for 30 min- an hour a day; I just come here once & skim the threads. (just popped on here for a minute to check a flier)
I don't have time for all the drama here....I have enough in my own life; don't need to read it here. I just went to my 10 year HS reunion; sadly there were several who are still too immature acting....& you're right, there is some of that here; along with lots of whining. I'm spending more of my time actually WORKING my biz.

I was a lurker here for a long time. I'll admit, I do read a lot of the off-topic stuff, but I mostly read it here at work, when I can't really "work" my business anyways. But, I just want to say that I have found a TON of helpful knowledge on this site and am so grateful. Sometimes, I feel that I don't have too much to offer information-wise, or there are others that can respond quicker. I do hope that I can offer helpful information in the future, I will try to work on that!!

Thanks for all your wisdom Janet.. I know things will calm down after the election... I love your wisdom!!

A lot of directors are still here. :) I don't post as much, but that's more due to the tremendous personal chaos in my life lately (good chaos) and because I've been working my business.

As someone else noted, it's pretty easy to tell who is coming here to seek serious solutions and who wants to whine. (Venting is okay..we all need to do that. The difference is that after a vent, you pick yourself up and move forward. When you whine, you just want others to tell you there's nothing you can do to improve the situation.)

Yes, directors, please don't run away....we need your input and experience! :) I know I really value all the help I get here from everyone. I'd be really a pain in the neck to my director if I didn't have all you guys helping me. Even the little questions that get answered really make a huge difference in my day. Thanks everyone! :) I just hope that I'm able to give back as much as I receive here.

janetupnorth said:
Don't worry, I'm not going away...just like Ann, KG and others...we're too stubborn overall, but we all can't focus on constantly giving business-wise when we don't see the work and response.

I love seeing someone new take a great idea, use it and report their successes. We've lost a lot of that.

I stopped posting business stuff, because I was personally attacked because I chose to "quit" for 1 year so that I could get a new director. Those of you that don't know- I'm not going to get into it, I'll just say that ethics, morals and dishonesty were reasons why I needed to get out from under that director. I even got PM's- where people asked how I could DARE give advice... so I stopped posting any tips and sending out help...and vamped up on the OT lounge posts... which after a while seem all the same...

I don't even go to the business posts anymore- for fear of being skewered again...

I will say this- I miss chatting with a LARGE handfull of people, who have been silent for the most part over the past few months. I really, really miss them!!!

(I'm just glad that I still have some tea left that was given to me as a gift by a few of those that I dearly miss!)

Kitchen Diva said:
I stopped posting business stuff, because I was personally attacked because I chose to "quit" for 1 year so that I could get a new director. Those of you that don't know- I'm not going to get into it, I'll just say that ethics, morals and dishonesty were reasons why I needed to get out from under that director. I even got PM's- where people asked how I could DARE give advice... so I stopped posting any tips and sending out help...and vamped up on the OT lounge posts... which after a while seem all the same...

I don't even go to the business posts anymore- for fear of being skewered again...

I will say this- I miss chatting with a LARGE handfull of people, who have been silent for the most part over the past few months. I really, really miss them!!!

(I'm just glad that I still have some tea left that was given to me as a gift by a few of those that I dearly miss!)

I am still here my favorite jiving #5!! Yes, I have backed off the site and Janet... well said, thank you!!!!

Love ya Kacey, life has just been crazy, I think about you every day and miss talking like we used too:angel:

Thank you, Janet. One thing I've learned here is that I can offer advice and possible solutions. I can't do it for anyone, though, and it's not my job to convince them that an idea can work. I love this site! When it's good, it's great! When it's headed south, well, um, let's just say that I choose not to read threads headed in that direction. I'm grateful for the advice, encouragement, and support I've received here. I hope I've been able to do the same for others.

raebates said:
Thank you, Janet. One thing I've learned here is that I can offer advice and possible solutions. I can't do it for anyone, though, and it's not my job to convince them that an idea can work.

I love this site! When it's good, it's great! When it's headed south, well, um, let's just say that I choose not to read threads headed in that direction. I'm grateful for the advice, encouragement, and support I've received here. I hope I've been able to do the same for others.

I agree with Rae!

I just breeze over some threds and choose to read or reply to them. I have limited my time on CS.

letscook04 said:
I agree with Rae!

I just breeze over some threds and choose to read or reply to them. I have limited my time on CS.

Same here....:D

letscook04 said:
I agree with Rae!

That's EXACTLY what I do. ;)

I've never used the igonore button, but am doing so now (not in a mean way). It's making it much easier to spend quality time here. :) Unfortunately, personal circumstances are limiting my ability to post as much. But as Arnold says...'I'll be back' ;)

legacypc46 said:
I've never used the igonore button, but am doing so now (not in a mean way). It's making it much easier to spend quality time here. :) Unfortunately, personal circumstances are limiting my ability to post as much. But as Arnold says...'I'll be back' ;)

Hey, that's what the ignore list is for! I'm this close to putting another whiner on my iggy list to make my time here less frustrating.

I agree Janet. I hope this site can get back to being the helpful and fun place it used to be. Sure, there is still some great info being shared here, but it's kind of hard to find among all the whining, political, and other bs threads that are clogging up the site. I am absolutely amazed and disheartened at the some of the words that are being typed these days. Words that I'm sure many of the people typing them would never dare say to someone's face - it's much easier to hide behind a keyboard. Also, some of the people typing them have surprised me.....I guess you just don't 'know' someone until they reveal themself to you.

As for the Directors leaving the site. Most of us are still here. We just don't have time for the bs. I for one am working and growing my business and earning my first Pampered Chef Vacation.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind the OT threads (I've started a few myself). But, lately the majority of threads here are OT.

I have been in the business for almost a year now. I don't post much but it is only because I am on here for business ideas and with being so new I don't have many suggestions to the questions asked. I just wanted to let you all know that I have gotten so much information from this site. I have reached my $15,000 in career sales and I am a future director working on being a director. I owe alot of that to the advice I have read on this site. Please continue to post because YOU ARE helping all of us new consultants make our business work. Just wanted to say THANKS!!!

I just joined in July and have really received great ideas...some of which I have used. The flyer ideas have been great and I feel honored I have been able to post some flyers I have created and people like them. I have noticed the whiners too and I don't even read certain postings. I think it's a real waste of everyone's time if someone asks a question that can be answered by reading our policy manual. If we were working at a outside office job and went to our supervisor with "Do Hosts get to buy the Guest Special" or "How much is my commission?" I can understand some people's frustration at the posts that ask "too simple" questions. Even I get frustrated reading those! All you "oldies", please don't let us others on our own! We need you!

pcchefjane said:
I just joined in July and have really received great ideas...some of which I have used. The flyer ideas have been great and I feel honored I have been able to post some flyers I have created and people like them. I have noticed the whiners too and I don't even read certain postings. I think it's a real waste of everyone's time if someone asks a question that can be answered by reading our policy manual. If we were working at a outside office job and went to our supervisor with "Do Hosts get to buy the Guest Special" or "How much is my commission?" I can understand some people's frustration at the posts that ask "too simple" questions. Even I get frustrated reading those! All you "oldies", please don't let us others on our own! We need you!

I can understand when someone is brand new and they ask those kinds of questions....all of the info coming at them can be overwhelming at first. But when someone keeps asking the same question over and over - I do start ignoring the threads. For example - bookings. There are TONS of ideas on here about how to get bookings...and yet there are some who seem to be in a panic over and over because they have no bookings and they are asking yet again how to get bookings. That question has already been answered for them many times...just go back and re-read those threads! I rarely answer those threads anymore....all of the info is already out there.

legacypc46 said:

Where's that button and what does it do?

Oh Janet... you are such a precious gift to so many of us in ways I cannot go into and here on CS... anyone who knows me here will agree with the kind of kindness and love you shower on others. I have had to curtail my time here due to working my business and trying to honor my committment to God & family first which I had strayed from so far... your post is refreshing and true and I salute your courage and grace! Thanks dear sister for ALL that you are!

chefsteph07 said:
Where's that button and what does it do?
The ignore feature hides users' posts so you don't see them. There used to be an easier way to add them to your ignore list, but now you need to go into your list under User CP. Add the person you want to ignore. When they post, you'll see that they posted, but you won't see what they wrote, unless someone else quotes it.Edit: Found a link. Go to the person's profile (click on their user name and select view public profile. On their profile, there's a little pulldown called User Lists. Go into that and select "Add to ignore list."

Thanks for the info...
gee, I hate to ignore anyone though...although I should!

Sounds like Leggy and I have been leading identical lives!!! My day job has kept me so busy that I have had less time to devote to CS, DS and my PC business. Not liking that at all.

I guess I am selfish. My reasons for being on CS were to gain and share knowledge about PC and have a few laughs along the way. The tone on CS has changed as others have noted. And now, with the election year happening, the two things we have been warned for generations not to discuss (religion and politics) has turned me off to this site.

I will fight for everyone's right to have an opinion and to voice it, but I did not join Chef Success for that purpose. If I wanted to join a site that debates religion and politics, I would have joined that, but I joined a site that supported all of our PC businesses. I think the saddest thing that I have read is that Kitchen Diva feels she can't discuss or offer advice about PC business.

Les Hewitt spoke about the Power of Focus. We have all lost that focus here on CS. I am not just sad, but angry. But I am being selfish, I know.

twins, separated at birth? :)

legacypc46 said:
twins, separated at birth? :)

Possibly!!! (poor you if this is the case!!!)

baychef said:
I will fight for everyone's right to have an opinion and to voice it, but I did not join Chef Success for that purpose. If I wanted to join a site that debates religion and politics, I would have joined that, but I joined a site that supported all of our PC businesses. I think the saddest thing that I have read is that Kitchen Diva feels she can't discuss or offer advice about PC business.

Couldn't of said it better Ann:thumbup:

baychef said:
.....I think the saddest thing that I have read is that Kitchen Diva feels she can't discuss or offer advice about PC business.....

What?! I missed that post!

Kacey, even though you are not an active consultant at this time, you have a lot of great advice. Don't let anyone bully you around girlfriend!

pamperedlinda said:
What?! I missed that post!

Kacey, even though you are not an active consultant at this time, you have a lot of great advice. Don't let anyone bully you around girlfriend!

Awww, thanks Miss Linda (my sweet tea buddy).

I might just go and peruse the on topic threads and see what I can offer.

:)

It's been hard to stick to my guns and stay inactive with DH still out of work... Sometimes when you make a tough decision it's hard not to go back on it, ya know?

how much longer to you have to wait?

too long for the rest of us...love your business insights kacey (not to mention your sense of humor!)

pamperedlinda said:
how much longer to you have to wait?

I have to wait until March I belive. Still a ways to go! :(

legacypc46 said:
too long for the rest of us...love your business insights kacey (not to mention your sense of humor!)

Awww, shucks! Thanks, Kris! :)

Okay, I feel like I need to buy a cape and groove around the boards looking for lost and frantic consultants to rescue... you guys really know how to build a person up! :)

Hey Kacey - would it be possible for you to ask for hospitality so you can attend cluster meetings, and "bless and release" the knowledge that your director gets overrides on you? I have just been through that process - it has enabled me to stay in PC.

As for the original intent of the thread, I agree that no one is holding a gun to your head to read every posting, so stay away from the ones that bother you. I learned this by getting myself all in a tizzy over some of the non-business threads. Discussing politics and religion is risky, especially when you don't have to look someone in the face when you imply or downright tell her she's wrong (or worse).

I have been much better over the past month about sticking to business or posting when I want to celebrate or congratulate someone else. This is also a great forum for advice and I have taken advantage of our non-PC collective wisdom too.

OK, the soapbox is unoccupied....NEXT!

susanr613 said:
Hey Kacey - would it be possible for you to ask for hospitality so you can attend cluster meetings, and "bless and release" the knowledge that your director gets overrides on you? I have just been through that process - it has enabled me to stay in PC.

As for the original intent of the thread, I agree that no one is holding a gun to your head to read every posting, so stay away from the ones that bother you. I learned this by getting myself all in a tizzy over some of the non-business threads. Discussing politics and religion is risky, especially when you don't have to look someone in the face when you imply or downright tell her she's wrong (or worse).

I have been much better over the past month about sticking to business or posting when I want to celebrate or congratulate someone else. This is also a great forum for advice and I have taken advantage of our non-PC collective wisdom too.

OK, the soapbox is unoccupied....NEXT!

Susan, I considered that option very thouroughly before deciding to become inactive. And, I couldn't allow it. (If I told you why, you'd understand)

Thanks for thinking of another possible option for me, however.

Have a great night everyone! :)

Kitchen Diva said:
Susan, I considered that option very thouroughly before deciding to become inactive. And, I couldn't allow it. (If I told you why, you'd understand)

Thanks for thinking of another possible option for me, however.

Have a great night everyone! :)

After what you have said Kacey, I wouldn't have allowed that either in my life. You made a wise decision and will be blessed by it later!

I just need to vent about a couple of recent threads that I opened up by accident because the posters didn't put the word "Political" in the titles, even though that's what they were. And the titles weren't such that it was obvious it was going to be a political discussion. Same for a religious thread that ended up in the Lounge instead of the Prayer Request area. It may not have been specifically a prayer request, but that's where the thread should have gone.Kacey- do you need me to push someone around so they stop bothering you?

WOW!!! This is the CS I am starting to remember!!!:chef:

I am going to copy (most of) what I just wrote in a PM to someone....

Trust me...I have more opinions than Carter has pills (dating myself on that one...it should be updated to...than Viagara has pills!) but I signed on to CS for this business.

I think if we are to ever get back to the way CS was, we all have to make a HUGE effort to keep focused on PC.

We all have political and religious views and there is nothing wrong with expressing them, however, I think in this instance, it has taken on a life of it's own and added more negativity and done more to tear each other down than added to the knowledge we can gain by debate.

There has been more of a negative tone in some of the business posts. Again, it needs to be an effort on all of our parts to acknowledge the challenges of our business and offer solutions.

We are living in tough times and it is hard to stay positive, but if we are to succeed, we must do our best to "fake it till we make it" and support one another.

I hope it turns around. I have been on CS a total of 1 hour in total in the last month and I was so disappointed that things have not changed.

Even though I can not spend too much time on CS right now I am challenging all that want the CS we knew and loved...to help bring it back.

It has been acknowledged that many directors have left CS and the thought has crossed my mind several times, but I feel that there is still hope!!! ALL of us can do better than ONE of us. I am a director, but trust me...I need this site just as someone new needs it. I am so ashamed to say that I would not recommend this site to anyone new.

Can we do this?

Ann - I think you'll see a dramatic change in oh about 3 weeks. For me it isn't the amount of "non-PC" threads. I like discussing life issues too and politics and religion. What gets me is the attitudes of those posting. There is a way to discuss in a civil tone and there is a way to purposely stir things up. Some people have a knack for one or the other. We do best here when those who stir tone it down or in the past, some have left. I'm sure KG's ignore list for one is full of people who have left. ;) ...some for the true help of CS because they could NEVER be positive.The light at the end of the tunnel can be seen...I just hope it isn't a train! ;)

a short note from Meg~I have been guilty of posting on and even starting the political threads....BUT...taking 2 days off from CS to work on my business has shown me just how much time I was devoting to this site and how much time I was taking from this business..............I have booked 4 November shows and talked with several recruit leads in just thelast 2 days (that was about 4 hours of phone time).....

Let's try to use CS what it was really intended for....PAMPERED CHEF

no more from me on the political end of things.......

janetupnorth said:
Ann - I think you'll see a dramatic change in oh about 3 weeks. For me it isn't the amount of "non-PC" threads. I like discussing life issues too and politics and religion. What gets me is the attitudes of those posting. There is a way to discuss in a civil tone and there is a way to purposely stir things up. Some people have a knack for one or the other. We do best here when those who stir tone it down or in the past, some have left. I'm sure KG's ignore list for one is full of people who have left. ;) ...some for the true help of CS because they could NEVER be positive.

The light at the end of the tunnel can be seen...I just hope it isn't a train! ;)

I know the political things will stop. It's just aggravating when I try to stay out of those threads and then someone (actually... it was you) starts one that sounds like it's going to be business related because it mentions Warren Buffet in the title - and it ends up being about the debate.

I agree that we all could use a little help getting off here and doing some more productive activities. That's on my list for this afternoon.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kattyschack
Replies