• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Limiting Posts to Business-Related Content on ChefSuccess

In summary, Greg suggests that the Chef's Lounge be limited to business-related posts in order to improve user flow and interaction on the site. He misses the "friendship, advice offered during personal hardships, and humor" that the site used to provide.
legacypc46
Gold Member
Greg, Any chance you could provide us a mechanism to ignore an entire forum? I think it's great to have the Chef's Lounge, but postings there are now accounting for half of the new posts. I know I can just 'not read those posts' (which I'm a little sad to say I generally don't read much anymore...though I'm human and find myself as drawn to them as anyone else). It would be great to be able to limit what I see to just business related posts. (I don't think I'm alone in this.)

I've loved this site and value what a difference it has made to my business...AND the genuine friendships I've made. Lately though, it seems to have become more of a personal opinion forum and at it's worst, a place for virulent posting for and against members. :eek:

I don't want to curtail anyone's postings. I would just like the ability to receive the information and business/personal support available on this site without the clutter of frivolous or lightning-rod threads.

I value everyone's right to an opinion on matters of politics and religion. I just don't come to ChefSuccess for that. I come to learn and post on matters that help my business and can possibly help others. I also value the personal support we provide each other on personal matters (health, relationships, and family matters). Polarizing topics of opinion don't help anyone's business and if anything, draws lines of separation that result in out and outright nastiness.

I miss what this site used to be: a genuinely supportive and incredible resource for all things PC...with friendship and advice offered during personal hardships and humor and hijacks mixed in to almost every thread.

:cry:

Well said. Thank you for that.

I could not agree with you more!! Thank you for this thread & hope something can be done...:)

I agree Leggy! I haven't seen much help, support, or positiveness on here in a while. I like the off-topic postings, but lately it's become almost a battlefield around here.

While I do read many of the Lounge Posts, I agree with Leggy...it would be nice to be able to filter out those "non-business related" categories when we need to.

My time is limited on here, so I would like to pop in, ask a question...or answer someone else's question...and then pop back off! Then, I can look into the other threads as time permits!

Thank you Leggy well said I have found myself not coming on here much anymore cause I am not finding this being a great supportive in the ways it used to be for me. Thank you and I hope it is just going through a patch and changes back to the way it used to be.

I agree with ya Kris!:)

BTW- I have been a member for quite some time, and things here (like everywhere, it seems) go in cycles. No worries all, just focus on the positives and focus on adding positive thoughts into posts...the rest of the silliness and such will die down...

There are things that Leggy posted that I agree with, but I really like the political discussion. I understand what Leggy is saying. Personally, much of the time I actually ignore all the other Chef's Lounge posts. I get that kind of support from my friends who live around me, who I e-mail and call on the phone and see at school, church and bible study or for lunch.

But, I think the political thing can't be helped for now. After the election it will go away. Yes, that's quite a few weeks away, but everyone can always go to the main page and just click on the different topics like, "recipe tips", "product tips", "bookings", "recruiting", etc. Then the Chef's Lounge can be ignored if you don't want to dig through it. I'm guilty of posting in the political discussions more than I've ever posted in anything else. That's partly because I don't usually have the answers to questions so I'm not as helpful as people like Leggy.

Oh, gotta go. Sorry if this seems cut off and there are errors. I don't have time to edit. Bye.

The political discussions are great for those who want to engage in them. (I don't have the time..or maturity :blushing:...to risk getting involved, so I'm staying completely out of those threads now). I just would like the option to 'ignore' that forum altogether when I need to.

I'd like my cluster members to have that option as well.

Since I can't (won't?) tolerate conflict, I've never even read any of the political stuff. I just click on New Posts, then scan the titles and read whatever I choose. So, from my perspective, this is a great, positive forum, and I look forward to "seeing" my "friends" daily.

Very well said, Kris! Thank you for posting this. I couldn't agree with you more.

I love Kris' idea!
I wasted more time this week on the political battlefield when I needed to be focusing on my business. I f we could have a way to filter out the lounge so we can JUST focus on business building posts, I think it'd be great. Otherwise I may just delete my link to this site and stick with DCS

dannyzmom said:
I love Kris' idea!
I wasted more time this week on the political battlefield when I needed to be focusing on my business. I f we could have a way to filter out the lounge so we can JUST focus on business building posts, I think it'd be great. Otherwise I may just delete my link to this site and stick with DCS

NO DON"T GO Carolyn! Just ignore the entire lounge and read all the others instead!;)

When I place my mouse pointer I get a spoiler on what the thread is about. If it is not something I want to read I don't click on it. What is so hard about that? Just read the business related posting. That's mostly all I do.

cwinter474 said:
When I place my mouse pointer I get a spoiler on what the thread is about. If it is not something I want to read I don't click on it. What is so hard about that? Just read the business related posting. That's mostly all I do.

Hmm...I think this is the best idea anyone has had. I do the same thing and read only what interests me!:thumbup:

Hey Leggy, since you aren't reading THE thread I will post here. I asked that those of us opposed to this so-called debate ask Greg to Lock it. I've done that already and I think if the rest of us like-minded would do the same we could git er done!

cwinter474 said:

pcchefjane said:
Hmm...I think this is the best idea anyone has had. I do the same thing and read only what interests me!:thumbup:

But there are so many "off topic" posts on the "New Posts" page, that it can take some time to scan through those topics. Like Kris noted, it would be nice to be able to choose to have an "ignore" function, versus only doing the mouse over, because, sometimes you can get "sucked" into reading the "Chef Lounge" topics, and lose precious time working your business. (I am guilty :blushing:, but it is one of my goals, to spend less time on the computer, and more time working my business to promote to Director.)

Are you referring to the thread that Greg started?

I quit watching TV news and reading the paper because it was full of crap I don't care to hear about. When I want to know about something I read it on the internet. SO my question is why does it matter what threads are going on here, if you don't want to read them don't open them?

I think locking a post such as the "concerned husband" the other day are necessary because people were genuinely concerned about Kristie's saftey and when it was established that she was okay the discussion could be ended, but why would he lock a post that is people debating there opinions.

"Have fun- chilling with other Pampered Chef’s discussing anything not covered above"

That's what it says below "Chef's Lounge" So my intrepretation would be that the above mentioned thread is where it belongs.

Just my 2 cents on this thread

I think it should be like anything else...as long as it isn't violating rules, it should be allowed. That is what the lounge is for.If you cannot separate other discussions from your business, then time to step back a bit and come back when ready.We discussed Paige missing more than politics, is someone going to say that was wrong? It wasn't helping our businesses?!?!?! No, that is what the lounge is for. Anything that doesn't have a home elsewhere.I enjoy LOGICAL discussions, it makes me stretch my mind on many topics and actually gets me thinking more and HELPS me in my business. For me a balance of things is ideal. If I focused on PC alone, I'd be burned out from it by now.I suggest for those who log on and can't handle the lounge to NOT click on New Posts and just go directly to the sub-forum of interest to you.We're all adults, let's manage ourselves the way we should.

Thank you Janet, once again, you rock!

Tammy

janetupnorth said:
I think it should be like anything else...as long as it isn't violating rules, it should be allowed. That is what the lounge is for.

If you cannot separate other discussions from your business, then time to step back a bit and come back when ready.

We discussed Paige missing more than politics, is someone going to say that was wrong? It wasn't helping our businesses?!?!?! No, that is what the lounge is for. Anything that doesn't have a home elsewhere.

I enjoy LOGICAL discussions, it makes me stretch my mind on many topics and actually gets me thinking more and HELPS me in my business.

For me a balance of things is ideal. If I focused on PC alone, I'd be burned out from it by now.

I suggest for those who log on and can't handle the lounge to NOT click on New Posts and just go directly to the sub-forum of interest to you.

We're all adults, let's manage ourselves the way we should

That's what I was trying to say in my post. I have taken breaks because I get tired of all the "extra" posts, too, and it can be a pain to sort through all of them.

I do understand Leggy's point, though. Maybe someone should start a poll. Greg can do what he wants, but it's in his best interest to do what the vast majority want because people pay to be here.

She didn't say that they should stop - she (along with many of us) would like a way to easily filter them. Personally, I think it would be nice to be able to have a 'new posts' button that would search on business related topics and another that would focus on the non-business ones. I know I get sucked-in to reading posts that I normally wouldn't just because I had to filter through it to get to what I was lookng for. And, too often, many people post in the lounge area because they don't know where their topic should go.

Sometimes the Lounge has threads that are really PC related - but don't really fit anywhere else. I have been guilty myself of putting PC related threads there - just because they didn't fit anywhere else - and I have seen other PC threads there too.

I've always wished for a PC MISC Forum (or something like that) for PC related items that don't fit anywhere - but are still related to the business...

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents since we were discussing the Lounge.

Not to totally get this thread off topic, but if I don't know where a business related question belongs I just choose something close. Because it is PC related, I don't want to put it in the lounge. KWIM?

I guess I don't understand this...

when I go to CS, it opens to the home page where all the subjects are listed..if I don't want to
scroll down to the lounge, I don't...what's so hard about that?

Sounds like some are having some self control issues and want us who want the thread to remain to be punished. I have had no problems working my business this week due to the political discussions.

Like Janet stated, maybe the other topics that are discussed shouldn't be, like Paige..there was certainly alot of talk about that over the past year that I"m sure has taken over where business should be...
Not saying that to be offend, but it's the truth. Why all of the sudden should there be "locking the thread" on everything, sounds like censorship to me...

chefsteph07 said:
I guess I don't understand this...

when I go to CS, it opens to the home page where all the subjects are listed..if I don't want to
scroll down to the lounge, I don't...what's so hard about that?

Sounds like some are having some self control issues and want us who want the thread to remain to be punished. I have had no problems working my business this week due to the political discussions.

Like Janet stated, maybe the other topics that are discussed shouldn't be, like Paige..there was certainly alot of talk about that over the past year that I"m sure has taken over where business should be...
Not saying that to be offend, but it's the truth. Why all of the sudden should there be "locking the thread" on everything, sounds like censorship to me...

Many of us don't browse like that...we log in, and click "new posts" at the top of the page. That brings up all threads that are new, or have new replies added to them since the last time you were here.

Kris doesn't want the lounge censored. She wants to be able to filter it. Before I learned about "new posts" (or maybe before it existed?) I would spend much more time looking at each category to check postings. It's much easier and quicker to click on the link. Sounds like she just wants the lounge to be separated from that.

Another idea that I had...when you are scrolling through the "new posts" instead of looking at each title, watch the far right hand side and skip over the ones in the lounge. Then, when you see one that is from a PC related section, THEN scan over to the thread title.

Or...do what Steph does, and just pop into each PC realated section. The "new posts" are still going to show up in DARK BLACK at the top of those sections.

**I do agree about a PC Misc section...for those items that ARE realted to our business, but that you can't figure out "where" to put them! Then, the Lounge can be reserved for all things PERSONAL and NOT PC RELATED.

I understand about scrolling my mouse over a thread to preview it. I simply would like the option to not even see the non-PC threads except when I am intentionally in a chilling frame of mind. It may not seem a big deal, but the lounge threads have become a genuine distraction to some on CS.

Gotta go. I have a show tonight (the second of three this weekend:chef:) .

I just read the posts that apparantly came in while I was typing. I don't want to get into questions about my self-discipline. I think my stats speak otherwise. This time I think I am done. Love you guys. Feel free to PM me anytime. I have a lifetime membership, so I'll receive the PM notifications in my email.

Best to everyone!

BethCooks4U said:
Kris doesn't want the lounge censored. She wants to be able to filter it. Before I learned about "new posts" (or maybe before it existed?) I would spend much more time looking at each category to check postings. It's much easier and quicker to click on the link. Sounds like she just wants the lounge to be separated from that.

I guess I never thought to do that..I log in and it brings up the home page and I just basically look at the first topic for each subject and go from there...
I guess since so many are commenting at the same time on things, I can see where there would be a lot of "New Posts" coming from...how would he be able to filter things coming from one area I wonder?

Kelly - you rock - I totally agree with everything you posted -

Leggy - I understand you and applaud you for all your help in this business and this forum - Please come back time to time to give us your knowledge - you have been very helpful - I do understand what you are saying and also understand everyone elses concerns -

chefsteph07 said:
I guess since so many are commenting at the same time on things, I can see where there would be a lot of "New Posts" coming from...how would he be able to filter things coming from one area I wonder?
Unless I'm mistaken in my assessment of Greg's programming skills, something like that would have to be a purchased mod for the forum. And it may not exist.

That's kind of what I think too..it would seem to be a bit difficult.

chefann said:
Unless I'm mistaken in my assessment of Greg's programming skills, something like that would have to be a purchased mod for the forum. And it may not exist.

I was just going to type that but you already did. I don't think that programming exists at this time. It would be a tall task to ask.

Kris - just to refer to your comment. My post is in NO way referring to your self-discipline in regards to your business!!!!

BethCooks4U said:
Before I learned about "new posts" (or maybe before it existed?) I would spend much more time looking at each category to check postings. It's much easier and quicker to click on the link.

This is the first forum I've been a part of. I was here over a YEAR before I knew there was a "new posts" button! <<eek>>

I don't have a problem w/the non PC posts. If I don't want to read them or respond to them I don't. I can understand why someone would want to filter them though.

It would be a nice option when in a hurry for the day.

I really wouldn't mind if the lounge threads were not included in the "new posts" section? Would that be possible? Then you could just click on the lounge when you feel like it...

I don't see that it would be a problem to have to specifically click on the lounge to see it (it really wouldn't make it "harder" to visit the lounge, but easier to NOT go when you are trying to be more disciplined :)), and I can see the benefit to keeping the "new threads" button for PC stuff only, for finding out useful PC stuff.

Or is that the same thing that Janet and Ann are saying is difficult programming-wise??

I wouldn't mind terribly if it stayed the way it is, but changing it could be helpful...

Maybe we should start a poll... :)

Leggy - Please come back, I enjoy your posts and they are helpful. Thanks for all of them.

Chefsteph - I think your post (#27) was a little harsh and *seemed* personally directed. I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again; if we were all very self-disciplined, then most of us would be 10lb lighter! :). Hey, if we can help each other to do something better or withstand a temptation, then why not? (I'm not saying that Kris is not self-disciplined, just that many of us aren't!). And I can't see how changing *how* the lounge is viewed would be a punishment to anyone...

janetupnorth said:
I think it should be like anything else...as long as it isn't violating rules, it should be allowed. That is what the lounge is for.

If you cannot separate other discussions from your business, then time to step back a bit and come back when ready.

We discussed Paige missing more than politics, is someone going to say that was wrong? It wasn't helping our businesses?!?!?! No, that is what the lounge is for. Anything that doesn't have a home elsewhere.

I enjoy LOGICAL discussions, it makes me stretch my mind on many topics and actually gets me thinking more and HELPS me in my business.

For me a balance of things is ideal. If I focused on PC alone, I'd be burned out from it by now.

I suggest for those who log on and can't handle the lounge to NOT click on New Posts and just go directly to the sub-forum of interest to you.

We're all adults, let's manage ourselves the way we should.

Well said, I concur. :) (I'm trying to shorten some of my posts, how did I do?) :blushing:

TammyStar said:
Are you referring to the thread that Greg started?

I quit watching TV news and reading the paper because it was full of crap I don't care to hear about. When I want to know about something I read it on the internet. SO my question is why does it matter what threads are going on here, if you don't want to read them don't open them?

I think locking a post such as the "concerned husband" the other day are necessary because people were genuinely concerned about Kristie's saftey and when it was established that she was okay the discussion could be ended, but why would he lock a post that is people debating there opinions.

"Have fun- chilling with other Pampered Chef’s discussing anything not covered above"

That's what it says below "Chef's Lounge" So my intrepretation would be that the above mentioned thread is where it belongs.

Just my 2 cents on this thread

I agree with this as well... I guess if the lounge is an area that you would like to avoid, maybe for now until the right filtering program exists to do what other's have suggested- you might have to put a little more work into searching for things that you want to talk about from the front page, forum by forum... It was almost 10 months before I noticed the NEW POSTS button, and that's how I used to search for where I wanted to go- was off the front page...

Best of luck either way if the forum get's moved, or has to be hidden from the new posts, whichever, or whatever... as long as I can find it, I'm fine with what happens to it.

As someone else said, Kris wasn't bashing the lounge, or anyone that's there. She just wanted a way to ignore it. Of course lots of times it's hard to know really how someone is feeling based on just reading something, but I think we all need to take a step back & double think things before we type.

Love ya Kris, & I really hope you're not leaving for good. Your stats kick butt, & I hope to continue to learn from you.

I think it is asking a lot of Greg to provide so many filters and forums and topics. This is a great website for business and friends; and I am sure that Greg has to devote a lot of time to it already. He may just get tired of all the suggestions and complaints and make it only PC business related and then where would we be?:cry:

Also, if it is something that would have to be purchased our dues could go up and personally I would not want that to happen. I love having to only pay a small amount for sp much enjoyment.

As some have already said, things cycle around here. There will be lots of off-topic discussions for a while and then they will die down. I think if this keeps up people are going to be scared to post anything personal on here anymore or will at least be hesitant to share something they normally would have not thought twice to share with their online friends.

When you click on "new post" you can see on the right side which forum it was posted in, you can always not click on anything that says "lounge." That would be a way for those that log in and do that to see which forum it is a part of.

I love all the personal discussions and this this website would kind of go down hill without them I think. I know I can only talk business for so long. After all, although we all want to focus on our business we all need to just "get away" from it sometimes. Too much of something can burn you out.:rolleyes:

I agree and disagree with a lot of post in this thread, but right now do not have the time to respond to each one.

Just IMHO.:D

Last edited:
jrstephens said:
I think it is asking a lot of Greg to provide so many filters and forums and topics. This is a great website for business and friends; and I am sure that Greg has to devote a lot of time to it already. He may just get tired of all the suggestions and complaints and make it only PC business related and then where would we be?:cry:

When you click on "new post" you can see on the right side which forum it was posted in, you can always not click on anything that says "lounge." That would be a way for those that log in and do that to see which forum it is a part of.

I love all the personal discussions and this this website would kind of go down hill without them I think. I know I can only talk business for so long. After all, although we all want to focus on our business we all need to just "get away" from it sometimes. Too much of something can burn you out.:rolleyes:

I agree and disagree with a lot of post in this thread, but right now do not have the time to respond to each one.

Just IMHO.:D

And a very good humble opinion it is! :) Well said Jennifer! :) (ps, how is that WW cookbook working out?)

Kitchen Diva said:
And a very good humble opinion it is! :) Well said Jennifer! :) (ps, how is that WW cookbook working out?)

I am actually now 3 lbs under my goal!! I am very happy about WW, I haven't been this small since before I got married in 2001!:D Thanks for your help!

jrstephens said:
I am actually now 3 lbs under my goal!! I am very happy about WW, I haven't been this small since before I got married in 2001!:D Thanks for your help!

Jennifer- I am SOOO happy for you! I wish I could do WW... once my body is fully healed from my hormone deficiency I won't need to worry about a high protein diet- that runs up points really fast, and I got sick when doing WW because of the hormone issues.

I am super glad it has worked for you and I bet Russell is super happy for you, too! You skinny little thang, you! :)

lacychef said:
Love ya Kris, & I really hope you're not leaving for good. Your stats kick butt, & I hope to continue to learn from you.

Ditto, Kris!

Totally Agree Janett.
janetupnorth said:

We're all adults, let's manage ourselves the way we should.

AnnieBee said:
I really wouldn't mind if the lounge threads were not included in the "new posts" section? Would that be possible? Then you could just click on the lounge when you feel like it...

I don't see that it would be a problem to have to specifically click on the lounge to see it (it really wouldn't make it "harder" to visit the lounge, but easier to NOT go when you are trying to be more disciplined :)), and I can see the benefit to keeping the "new threads" button for PC stuff only, for finding out useful PC stuff.

Or is that the same thing that Janet and Ann are saying is difficult programming-wise??

I wouldn't mind terribly if it stayed the way it is, but changing it could be helpful...

Maybe we should start a poll... :)

Leggy - Please come back, I enjoy your posts and they are helpful. Thanks for all of them.

Chefsteph - I think your post (#27) was a little harsh and *seemed* personally directed. I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again; if we were all very self-disciplined, then most of us would be 10lb lighter! :). Hey, if we can help each other to do something better or withstand a temptation, then why not? (I'm not saying that Kris is not self-disciplined, just that many of us aren't!). And I can't see how changing *how* the lounge is viewed would be a punishment to anyone...

AGAIN, my post was not meant to be harsh and I was reiterating what Janet was saying about some having their focus on the lounge this week and taking away from the biz...it was not directed at ONE person, considering alot of others said the same thing..I was saying that for ME personally it hadn't taken anything away this week and if it is taking something away from YOURS (anyone in general) then maybe it is best to step off for a while.

You know, I really don't appreciate how I am feeling that I am being attacked all the time lately, esp when I was AGREEING with someone else's post.

Maybe *I* will step off for a bit since I seem to be offending so many.
Sorry.

GeorgiaPeach said:
This is the first forum I've been a part of. I was here over a YEAR before I knew there was a "new posts" button! <<eek>>

Yep, me too!

<h2>1. Can you provide a mechanism to ignore an entire forum?</h2><p>At this time, we do not have a feature that allows users to ignore an entire forum on ChefSuccess. However, you can choose to not read posts in specific forums by simply not clicking on them. We understand that there may be certain topics that you are not interested in, and we encourage you to focus on the business-related content that is valuable to you.</p><h2>2. Why are postings in the Chef's Lounge now accounting for half of the new posts?</h2><p>The Chef's Lounge is a place for our community to come together and connect, share personal experiences, and offer support to one another. While we do encourage business-related discussions, we also understand the importance of building relationships and fostering a sense of community among Pampered Chef consultants. We will continue to monitor and moderate the content in the Chef's Lounge to ensure it aligns with our community guidelines.</p><h2>3. Can you limit what I see to just business-related posts?</h2><p>We do not currently have a feature that allows users to filter out non-business related posts. However, you can choose to only click on and read posts that pertain to your business. We encourage you to use the search function to find specific topics that are relevant to you.</p><h2>4. Why have personal opinion and polarizing topics become more prevalent on ChefSuccess?</h2><p>We value everyone's right to an opinion and understand that there may be topics that are important to our community members. However, we do ask that all discussions on ChefSuccess remain respectful and civil. We will continue to moderate and remove any posts that violate our community guidelines.</p><h2>5. Can we go back to the supportive and resourceful community that ChefSuccess used to be?</h2><p>We are committed to fostering a positive and supportive community on ChefSuccess. While we understand that there may be disagreements and differences of opinion, we ask that all members treat each other with respect and kindness. We encourage you to continue to share your personal experiences and seek advice and support from the community, as long as it aligns with our community guidelines.</p>

1. Can you provide a mechanism to ignore an entire forum?

At this time, we do not have a feature that allows users to ignore an entire forum on ChefSuccess. However, you can choose to not read posts in specific forums by simply not clicking on them. We understand that there may be certain topics that you are not interested in, and we encourage you to focus on the business-related content that is valuable to you.

2. Why are postings in the Chef's Lounge now accounting for half of the new posts?

The Chef's Lounge is a place for our community to come together and connect, share personal experiences, and offer support to one another. While we do encourage business-related discussions, we also understand the importance of building relationships and fostering a sense of community among Pampered Chef consultants. We will continue to monitor and moderate the content in the Chef's Lounge to ensure it aligns with our community guidelines.

3. Can you limit what I see to just business-related posts?

We do not currently have a feature that allows users to filter out non-business related posts. However, you can choose to only click on and read posts that pertain to your business. We encourage you to use the search function to find specific topics that are relevant to you.

4. Why have personal opinion and polarizing topics become more prevalent on ChefSuccess?

We value everyone's right to an opinion and understand that there may be topics that are important to our community members. However, we do ask that all discussions on ChefSuccess remain respectful and civil. We will continue to moderate and remove any posts that violate our community guidelines.

5. Can we go back to the supportive and resourceful community that ChefSuccess used to be?

We are committed to fostering a positive and supportive community on ChefSuccess. While we understand that there may be disagreements and differences of opinion, we ask that all members treat each other with respect and kindness. We encourage you to continue to share your personal experiences and seek advice and support from the community, as long as it aligns with our community guidelines.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • c00p
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
elizabethfox
  • gilliandanielle
  • General Chat
Replies