• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sick, but Don't Want Too Cancel Show...

In summary, consultant #1 was sick and couldn't do the show. The AD stepped in and asked consultant #2 to observe and help with the show. Consultant #2 did a great job and even did a demo for a recipe she had never seen before. After the show, consultant #2 and the AD agreed to split the sales and commission, with $150 going to consultant #1 to keep her active. However, when the AD called consultant #1 to confirm, she was not happy and wanted all of the sales and commission. The AD then called consultant #2 to inform her of this and was not happy with consultant #1's attitude since she did the entire show. The original policy guide had a provision for this type of
Candice
(don't know where to put this, so here it is....mods feel free to move it elsewhere if need be).

What happens in this case?

Consultant (#1) is sick, but doesn't want to cancel on host. She calls her AD and she says she'll do it, but wants another consultant (#2) to come observe how she handles a show she just got thrown into! #1 agrees with that.

Get to show and AD is talking to the guests before show starts while #2 is preparing a dessert that needs to be chilled and prepping some of the other food. #2 also does a very nice demo (on a recipe she's never even seen until she got to the show).

Show over.

#2 talked with AD and asked how they were going to split commission and sales us. Agreed to throwing #1 $150 of the sales to keep her active (only show for December) and #2 would get the rest and all of the commission.

AD calls #1 to see if that works. #1 is not happy and wants ALL of the sales and the commission.

AD calls #2 to tell her what #1 said and AD not happy since #2 DID do the entire show.

(confused yet?)

How would this be handled? Did not see anything in Policies and Procedures. What would HO say?

#1 should be thankful she stills gets to stay active. I would say that $150 was a gift.

I tend to agree with the above post :)

Personally, I think consultant #2 should take all of the sells but that it is a nice gesture to give #1 the $150 to keep her active. It seems like consultant #1 is just being greedy. JMO tho!

Since consultant #2 was supposed to be going to be trained then I would think that consultant #1 should have done the show and gotten paid for it. Otherwise it should be split down the middle.

But I'm confused. Did the sick consultant go to the show at all or did the AD take her place? So at the actual show it was the AD and consultant #2? Is this what I'm understanding.

If consultant #1 - the sick consultant did not go to the show at all, why would she get paid?

Number 2 did the show and should get the commission, bookings etc. This should have all been worked out ahead of time though. I've had it happen before and it was understood that I was GIVING it ALL away so I sure would have been happy and appreciative with $150 to keep me active if that was the case.

years (and years and years......) ago the consultant policy guide actually stated something about this sort of situation. Basically it was something to the effect that the person who "gives the show away" - due to these sort of circumstances, gets a minor (I think it said $5) compensation from the consultant doing the show but everything else, bookings included goes to the person doing the show.

Our policy guide does state that the person actually there doing the show is the one to turn it in and get compensation from it.

And how is the show going to be split that would be fair to the host?

So Candace, are you number one or number two? ;)

I'm not sure exactly how I WOULD handle it. But I know I would NOT let consultant #1 take the whole show and commissions. She may have booked it and host coached. Okay, so maybe $150 is fair. But all of it, hell no.

pcsharon1 said:
Since consultant #2 was supposed to be going to be trained then I would think that consultant #1 should have done the show and gotten paid for it. Otherwise it should be split down the middle.

But I'm confused. Did the sick consultant go to the show at all or did the AD take her place? So at the actual show it was the AD and consultant #2? Is this what I'm understanding.

If consultant #1 - the sick consultant did not go to the show at all, why would she get paid?

#1 did NOT go to the show. It was AD and #2.

pcsharon1 said:
years (and years and years......) ago the consultant policy guide actually stated something about this sort of situation. Basically it was something to the effect that the person who "gives the show away" - due to these sort of circumstances, gets a minor (I think it said $5) compensation from the consultant doing the show but everything else, bookings included goes to the person doing the show.

Our policy guide does state that the person actually there doing the show is the one to turn it in and get compensation from it.

And how is the show going to be split that would be fair to the host?

Splitting rewards $150 to #1 and the rest to #2. With #2 picking up any extra free....($10 or so dollars). Nobody wants to screw the host!!!

kcjodih said:
So Candace, are you number one or number two? ;)

That I can not say ;)

I'd appreciate the $150 gift if I was consultant 1. If I was consultant 2, I'd be grateful for a show falling into my lap.I hope everyone can work this out and be grateful for the gifts they received!

In my Cluster, the person who does the show gets the sales and bookings - unless the person who books specifically requests the original consultant. (as in - already a customer/host for that consultant.) The people at the show don't care who sent the invitations, or host coached - they see the person standing in front of them, and think of that person as the consultant for the show - the one who will be taking care of orders, and taking care of customer service, and also the one with whom they are booking a show.

I've had to give shows away to consultants on my team. They get the sales and the bookings. I've also done shows for my director. The sales and bookings were mine. It works best that way. The only thing I haven't given away, or taken, were recruit leads that I'd worked with, or that my director had worked with.

The person who does the show should get all the rewards. Sorry that #1 was sick, but she could have rescheduled the show or had the host turn it into a catalog show. Her loss.

chefsteph07 said:
The person who does the show should get all the rewards. Sorry that #1 was sick, but she could have rescheduled the show or had the host turn it into a catalog show. Her loss.

Agreed - #1 wasn't there and she called and asked for someone that would treat her host fairly by doing a show on short notice. She doesn't get anything for that. The person who did the show gets the bookings and commission.

I have been the consultant that filled in for a sick person. What we did was this:
I got the sales and commission because I did the show. i suggested to the guests that they could book with "Suzy".
Suzy got the bookings (there were two), but the original host has now called me every year to do another show.

I agree with everyone else but it sounds to me that #1 thought the AD was helping her out by doing the show for her and #2 was just going along for training. It seems that #1 was under the impression that AD was doing it for her (#1) and #1 thought it was still her show.

If I am reading it right AD should have spoken more clearly with #1 and let her know how these things work so feelings, etc weren't hurt. Everything upfront before the show is the best policy.

I don't understand why #2 is getting the commission if she was there for "training" - at least this was what #1 was told. When I take a consultant with me on training she does usually help but she doesn't get any part of the commission.

Beth, it sounds like #2 did most of the show. She did all of the prep and demoed a recipe. AD may have helped with dialogue, but it sounds like #2 really "did" the show. That is how it sounds to me. I agree with everyone who said, #1 gets the gift of being active with $150 of the sales and the rest should go to #2.

How nice would it be if we could send other people to do our jobs and get all of the commission and benefits?? I want to live in that world.

I should have written better in my original post:#1 called AD to do a show for her since she was sick and contagious. AD had never even heard of the recipes so thought it would be nice for some help so she told #1 she would have to bring #2. #2 thought she was there just to observe since she's never been "thrown into" a show before, but ended up doing the entire show (minus the meet and greet in the beginning).

Candice said:
I should have written better in my original post:

#1 called AD to do a show for her since she was sick and contagious. AD had never even heard of the recipes so thought it would be nice for some help so she told #1 she would have to bring #2. #2 thought she was there just to observe since she's never been "thrown into" a show before, but ended up doing the entire show (minus the meet and greet in the beginning).

Whoever "physically" did the ENTIRE show should get paid on it. Sounds like a mess. AD should know better that if her girl does the show they should get paid on it. Esp if #2 was in her downline, what's the prob? She (#1) will benefit anyway.

I guess it would be between Ad & Cons #2 to split the commission. It is VERY nice that they are even throwing $150 sales to Cons #1 (IMO).

But, I think bookings can be a little trickier. Since the show and host are in Cons #1's customer base, I am thinking that perhaps Cons #1 should get the bookings (unless someone has expressly stated they want Cons #2).

So, if I were in this situation, to keep it fair, I would say whoever does the show gets 100% of the commission but the bookings go to the original Consultant who was supposed to do the show.

If #2 did the show, #2 should get the commission and bookings for it. I know there was some issues with what AD and #2 actually talked about or did themselves but AD should have known better. #2 sounds to be like the one getting screwed here. #1 should be lucky that they were actually going to give her $150 in sales because she didn't do anything. In these cases, all term should have been discussed before the show.

now, I am new, but it's hard for me to see how the host doesn't get screwed by splitting the party. I just looked at the host benefits description. Any amount that you take 150 off results in less free product and either less half price items or less discount.the only scenario I can think of where this benefits the host is if she wants another host special item....How did the AD and #2 make this work? I'm genuinely raising this so I can learn.I think my strongest feeling is that all this should have been discussed ahead of time.

Oh yah I forgot that part, if they are splitting the show to help out #1 then #1 needs to give the extra cost the host is missing out on not #2.

Here's my 2cents worth.

I recently was in the same position. I was the one sick. My blood pressure was out of control and I was so dizzy that I couldn't make it from one end of my little house to the next. I didn't want to clx on the host as it was a fundraiser turn in night and cooking event.

I tried to get a consultant to take the show but she didn't want to and instead asked that she drive me to the show and just help out with it (and use it as a training show for her). I pleaded that I really didn't want to do the show and would prefer to stay home. Told her I'd take what orders where turned in as I was going to be out all the pkt cost of a large fundraiser and she could have the sales from the actual demo part if she went alone. We both ended up going. I did most of the show, despite not feeling up to it. It was the same sort of thing...who gets the sales. In this case there weren't really enough to fight over in the first place nor enough to "split".

We ended up with me taking the sales, after all I did 90% of the show and I purchased her a meal on the way home and an item from our catalog of her choice that she had been wanting.

In hind site, I had wished I just cxl the party and had the host do a catalog show only.

I was sick one night, called someone in my downline to go do the show and offered her all of the sales and bookings. She talked about being brand new and got the host to thinking about the business opportunity. I asked the host to sign under the consultant who did her show so that she could get some sort of compensation for jumping and going when I was vomiting and unable to do the show. In my mind, when she stepped in to take the show, it became her show. When she got the host thinking about signing, the host got the show and bookings to help her new business and the consultant got a recruit. I have the same theory with your scenario. #1 gave away the show and all rights to it. What the AD worked out with #2 is between them. #1 just has to hope that what goes around, comes around and that at some point when #2 or another consultant can't do a show that they will return the favor and give it to #1. ;) I would not confuse the host with splitting the orders and benefits. Odds are, it will be difficult for the host to feel confident that she got everything that she was entitled to get.If a warranty issue ever popped up it would be hard for the host or guest to convey what happened to HO. :yuck:

Sheila, I think the main difference there is that you gave it to someone in your downline, so although you didn't get the sales and comission off of the show, you were helping one of your personal consultants.
In this scenario #1 went up for help, not down, and then it is btwn AD and #2, neither of wich will help #1 in any way except for the fact that she didn't have to leave the house sick.
I agree that whoever did the show should get ALL the benefits. Sounds like AD wants her to be active, so it is generous. If there were outside orders and the host was ok w/ splitting then I could see how they could rationalize them belonging to #1 b/c she host coached the host into getting pre-orders, but beyond that #1 gave it away. We don't have sick days in PC, one of the drawbacks of being self-employeed.

I would have done the same with a consultant not in my downline. Not leaving the host and guests hanging was my primary concern. I only had 2 in my downline at the time, if neither were available, I'd have called another consultant that I knew who was not in my "PC Family Tree" and given it to her too. ;)

Regardless of what the situation was in Cons #1's mind, she wasn't there, she didn't do the show. She should be thankful they even offered her the $150- that more than compensates her for what time she did spend. I'm sure policy would require the consultant who DID the show gets paid for and submits the show.

Sorry for #1, but that's just greedy and just rude to expect someone else to do the work and she get all the pay.

I don't think #1 was really being greedy. I think she just didn't understand how it works and thought the AD was doing the show for her. It's on the AD for not making it clear to the consultant that she wouldn't be getting the sales.

I agree that the AD was generous to give her the $150 (and OP said that AD made up the difference to the host so she didn't lose out on free product). It's a training opportunity - leaders need to tell consultants that this is how it's done BEFORE the situation occurs.

I, too, have given shows to my downline and they have gotten all sales AND LEADS from it - they are the one who impressed those guests. The issue is when a downline gives the show up or across. The sick consultant needs to be reminded what happens before the sales happen so there are no bad feelings like this.

I tell my consultants to talk to the host first and see how she wants to handle it: 1. make it a catalog show, 2. have a different consultant do the show, 3. do the show herself with me available by phone (hopefully she'll decide to become a consultant). I have had hosts choose from all 3 of those options - you never know until you ask.

Everything; all sales, bookings, & recruit leads go to Consultant #2 as she was the one who did the show. It doesn't matter AD was there....she had #2 do the show.

Unfortunately, AD did a disservice to this situation from the beginning.

Consultant #2 needs to address this with AD asap and ask that AD address at the next cluster. Of course, AD should not mention names or this situation's specific details, just what happens when a Consultant is unable to make a show because of sickness or family emergency and that it is important to have the conversation before the show happens so that everyone involved understands the expectations and so there will not be any hurt feelings afterward.

At least it would be "out there" in their cluster so those consultants will have some idea as to what to expect if the situation were to arise again.

D.

Solution resolved!#2 submitted show!This situation WILL be address in January at the next cluster meeting.Thanks for all your input.

Candice said:
Solution resolved!

#2 submitted show!

This situation WILL be address in January at the next cluster meeting.

Thanks for all your input.

Candice, you asked for OUR input, what do YOU think should have happened?

Also Candice - what was your role in this?

I was curious too, but just because of the way you structured your post so ambiguously. Whichever person you were, and however you initially felt, I hope the resolution has given you peace! Good luck!

1. What happens in this case?

In this case, the sick consultant (#1) calls her Assistant Director (AD) and asks to have another consultant (#2) come and run the show in her place. The AD agrees and #2 steps in to do the show.

2. How would this be handled?

The best way to handle this situation would be to have a discussion between all parties involved (consultant #1, the AD, and consultant #2) before the show starts. This can include agreeing on a fair split of sales and commission, as well as discussing any concerns or preferences. It's important to communicate and come to a mutual understanding to avoid any misunderstandings or conflicts.

3. Did not see anything in Policies and Procedures. What would HO say?

If you are unable to find a clear answer in the Policies and Procedures, it's best to reach out to the Home Office for guidance. They can provide clarification and offer suggestions on how to handle the situation in a fair and professional manner.

4. What would be a fair way to split commission and sales in this case?

A fair way to split commission and sales in this case would be to take into consideration the work put in by both consultants. Since consultant #2 stepped in to do the entire show, it would be fair to give her a larger portion of the sales and commission, while also compensating consultant #1 for her original booking. A suggested split could be 70% for consultant #2 and 30% for consultant #1.

5. How can we prevent this situation from happening in the future?

To prevent this situation from happening in the future, it's important for consultants to have a back-up plan in case of illness or unexpected circumstances. This can include having a list of consultants who are willing to step in and cover a show, or having a team of consultants who can help each other out in case of emergencies. It's also important for consultants to communicate clearly and come to a mutual agreement before the show starts to avoid any conflicts or misunderstandings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • ChefMommyof3Boys
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
chefa
Replies