• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Quick Tips During Shows (Let's Share!!)

In summary, these are three quick tips to sharpen your blades, soften a lemon or lime, and store fresh produce: use a sheet of tin foil, crush ice, and keep herbs in a plastic baggie with a piece of paper towel.
Ooh- your egg tip reminded me of another one.

If you have both raw and hard-boiled eggs in the fridge and can't tell which is which, spin them on the fat end. Raw eggs will not spin.
To keep from having to do that, put a dash of balsamic vinegar into the water when you boil eggs. The dark color of the vinegar will turn the shells beige, so you can identify those as the cooked eggs.

When using dried herbs, rubbing them between your hands before throwing them into the recipe will help bring out a little of the oils and fragrance, thus making them more flavorful.

"chopped" BaconWhen needing to chop crispy bacon, (after baking it in a bar pan lined with PC Parchment Paper) put it in a large zippy bag and use the baker's roller to break it into small pieces. Put the bag in a folded dishtowel before rolling so sharp pieces don't puncture the bag. Did this today with a bunch of bacon and it worked great. Saved lots of time & mess in chopping and didn't need to clean a knife and cutting board when done. Then use as needed and store any leftovers in the fridge.

mommyhugz1978 said:
But the weird thing is that my up line told us in a cluster meeting a year ago that to sharpen them to chop crushed ice.... SO I DON'T" KNOW............:confused:

i wouldnt suggest doing this, a host told me he used to make mixed drinks without a blender and he would crush the ice with it, it got really dull he said. i dont know if it helps like once or twice and because he used it all the time thats why it got dull? and i dont know if it was a pc food chopper.

If you have a box of hardened brown sugar, toss it in the freezer for a couple days. It will soften right up.

Use sea or kosher salt on meat... it won't cause the meat to dry out like iodized salt does.

feather18 said:
I have heard of lots of uses for our garlic press.. anyone know more of them?? Those are so fun!
Peel ginger and press it for stir fry (or whatever)...this does take a little more muscle than garlic though.

Also, a customer told me she pressed her animals pills in this so she could mix the meds into the dog's food. I loved this one!

missyciccolella said:
Also, a customer told me she pressed her animals pills in this so she could mix the meds into the dog's food. I loved this one!

I had forgotten this one! Thanks for the reminder.

--Jenny L

"to keep ice cream fresh & avoid ice crystals from forming
Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on top of ice cream and then replace lid"

You have ice cream that lasts that long??

To make your cookies soften up, put a slice of bread in the container with them.

Anyone know if there is a limit to how long a "NEWS" post can be on your website? I thought about having one of my posts be tips and referring my guests out to the site. ???? Hmmm, I could have a tip of the month think and put that in my newsletter.

No limit on news items on PWS, although the pic may be taken off the server. :) I know some people (but I won't mention any names, so as not to embarrass them) who have things on their PWS that are over a year old.

A pizza cutter can be used to cut the crusts off of bread for picky children! I also use a pizza cutter to cut up plates of pancakes or waffles for the kidlets.

Here is one that I plan on sharing while making the warm nutty caramel brownies:

Softening Rock-Solid Brown Sugar

How do you soften brown sugar that is as hard as concrete?

Before it reaches the concrete stage, but when you notice signs of hardening, place an apple slice in the bag and leave it for a couple of days.

After the sugar is hard, you can soften it by placing a cup of sugar in a covered dish in the microwave and heating for 30 seconds or so. You may need to heat it more than once, but watch to see that it doesn’t start to melt. You can also heat the brown sugar on a metal pan in a regular oven at 250°F (120°C) for five minutes or so.

To keep it from hardening in the first place, store it in the freezer.

Pasta

How can you prevent boil over?

Rub vegetable oil around the rim of the pot. Also, make sure that your pot is an adequate size for the amount of water and pasta.
Pasta

True or False – Salted water boils faster than unsalted water?

False. It is a common misconception that adding salt to water will raise the boiling point, which is somewhat true, but by raising the boiling point, it delays boiling. Add salt to the water once it is rapidly boiling.
Pasta

True or False – Always rinse your pasta after cooking.

True and False. Rinse your pasta before using it in a cold pasta salad to remove the extra salt but leave your pasta un-rinsed when making a hot pasta dish because the sauce will cling to the starch
Tomatoes

What is the best way to store tomatoes?

Store ripe tomatoes stem side down at room temperature away from direct sunlight and use within a few days. Never refrigerate tomatoes as it will make the flesh pulpy and destroy the flavor.
Parsley

How do you store fresh parsley?

Treat parsley just like fresh cut flowers. Trim off ½ inch of stems and store as a bouquet in a tall glass filled halfway with water and a pinch of sugar. Cover loosely with a plastic bag and change the water every two days.

Garlic

How do you choose and store garlic?

Garlic should be full, plump and firm. Avoid bulbs with shriveled cloves or green shoots. Also avoid garlic that has been refrigerated. Garlic should be kept in a cool, dry, dark place like your cabinet.

Just for fun:

Just in case you didn't count the last time you had corn on the cob: Each ear has an average of 800 kernels.

Did you know that Baking Soda will live long enough to see your 4 yr old married but Baking powder has a shelf life of only 1 yr. To find out if your baking powder is good, put a tsp in a small glass of water - If it bubbles, bake away. If not, head to the store.

missyciccolella said:
Just for fun:

Just in case you didn't count the last time you had corn on the cob: Each ear has an average of 800 kernels.

Did you know that Baking Soda will live long enough to see your 4 yr old married but Baking powder has a shelf life of only 1 yr. To find out if your baking powder is good, put a tsp in a small glass of water - If it bubbles, bake away. If not, head to the store.

Love the baking powder tip! I have a can I'm going to go check now, . . .

--Jenny L

Not food Related!!

Has anyone else ever hear that if you rub a bannana peel over warts, it removes them? 'Course I understand duct tape will get rid of warts too.

The best thing for removing warts is, hand sanitiser gel because it's very high in rubbing acohol which kills the bacteria and helps eliminate the warts. (That's why duck tape works because it doesn't allow the bacteria to grow or spread but looks funny on someones hand)

pamperedalf said:
Not food Related!!

The best thing for removing warts is, hand sanitiser gel because it's very high in rubbing acohol which kills the bacteria and helps eliminate the warts. (That's why duck tape works because it doesn't allow the bacteria to grow or spread but looks funny on someones hand)

A slice of garlic clove (thin slice) placed on a wart and covered with a bandaid will get rid of a wart in no time... it was also get rid of your friends too, so use with caution! :rolleyes:

pchefkristin said:
A slice of garlic clove (thin slice) placed on a wart and covered with a bandaid will get rid of a wart in no time... it was also get rid of your friends too, so use with caution! :rolleyes:
This is perfect for this time of year...garlic will keep the vampires away too! ;)

I'm newHi everyone, I'm new to the boards here, and I have a question. Who is Paige? I see that everyone is praying for her return...
I don't want to upset anyone, I was just wondering. Thank you.

Kitchen Diva said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the boards here, and I have a question. Who is Paige? I see that everyone is praying for her return...
I don't want to upset anyone, I was just wondering. Thank you.

Kitchen Diva -

Paige is a member of this Forum - a director from Colorado, single mother of 3 small children, and she disappeared in late June. She has not been found. We are still praying for her return. Here is a link to the main thread - but I have to warn you, it is very long.

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/one-our-own-missing-22516/

Garlic Lovers...
lacychef said:
If you peel a banana from the bottom instead of the top, it takes more of the little stringy things with the peel.
Remember that one clove of garlic is one piece; a bulb is made of lots of cloves....if you use a whole bulb when a recipe calls for a clove; you're either going out to dinner or keeping the vampires away! (I always like to say that if people say they don't use fresh garlic; gets some laughs!)

My funny thing with garlic is that "when I started cooking, I was a newlywed. I thought that this whole bulb was a clove of garlic. I learned otherwise REAL quick. My dad told my then to-be-husband that he would be a very holy man when we married. He was sure to get his 3 burnt offerings a day!" :blushing:

Leigh0725 said:
Anyone know if there is a limit to how long a "NEWS" post can be on your website? I thought about having one of my posts be tips and referring my guests out to the site. ???? Hmmm, I could have a tip of the month think and put that in my newsletter.

When I send out my monthly newsletter, I copy and paste the weekly bites quick tips on the end. My clients LOVE them!!! I may picka nd choose a couple from here too. These are some good ones!!

I didn't read all the way through the thread so if I repeat this please forgive me

But could someone combine all of these including all the names of who shared the idea and post it so that we can share these ideas with the guess at our shows -

Just an idea and maybe undated once a month - with new date on the file name so that we will know that it has been updated.

Thanks

~

Grind the peels from oranges, lemon, limes, etc down your disposal to keep your sink fresh!

To clean your microwave, put a little vinegar water in a prep bowl and microwave for 1 minute, let stand for 10 minutes, and wipe all that gross stuff away easily.

This one always "wows" them at shows. When you are cutting a bell pepper, cut sections off leaving the stem and seeds in tact. The "shelf-life" of the pepper is much longer because the seeds are absorbing alot of the moisture that would normally make it get slimey. It really works!

Fresh scent
robinlkoch said:
Grind the peels from oranges, lemon, limes, etc down your disposal to keep your sink fresh!

To clean your microwave, put a little vinegar water in a prep bowl and microwave for 1 minute, let stand for 10 minutes, and wipe all that gross stuff away easily.

I do this all the time with my disposal. I love that fresh scent.

Here are some more tips:

Draw your design with a toothpick before decorating a cake. Then you can just follow the stenciling as a guide with our decorator bottle set.

Make ice cubes festive for a party by freezing sprigs of mint, maraschino cherries, lemon or orange peel in them.

Homemade Stock: Make your own meat broths from leftover bones or meat purchased on sale at the grocer. If you want a richer stock, place the meat, bones and vegetables, usually onions, carrots and celery, in a high heat oven and brown well before placing in a stock pot. Then add water, vegetables and seasoning as desired. Cook; strain meat and vegetables. The broth can be used that way or continue to cook until well reduced. Strain off fat. Place broth in ice cube trays and freeze. Remove from trays and place in freezer bags for future use. If well condensed, a little goes a long way.

Mash and freeze ripe bananas, in one-cup portions, for use in later
baking, no wasted bananas (or you can freeze them whole, peeled, in plastic
baggies)

Transfer your jelly to a small plastic squeeze bottle~no more messy,
sticky jars or knives! This also works well for homemade salad dressing!

Slicing meat when partially frozen makes it easier to get thin slices.

Instead of throwing away bread heels or leftover cornbread, use them to
make bread crumbs. For use later, store them in the freezer.

Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator~it will
keep for weeks!

Debbie :D

whiteyteresa said:
I didn't read all the way through the thread so if I repeat this please forgive me

But could someone combine all of these including all the names of who shared the idea and post it so that we can share these ideas with the guess at our shows -

Just an idea and maybe undated once a month - with new date on the file name so that we will know that it has been updated.

Thanks

~

Here you go! I was trying to keep a log of all of the ones I really liked to share with my team, but decided your idea was better to just put them all together. They are all great tips! Hope I didn't forget anyone.

Attachments

• Quick Tips Chef Success.doc
    83.5 KB · Views: 597
Thank You so much

Let's try to keep it updated Please

Thanks again

~

thank you Cindy. I just hit the print button. I do much better with something I can print out and highlight!!

layla

It's 7 pages!! Just an FYI for anyone else who just hits the print button. ;)

Thank you so much for making that into Word!!!

I just heard this and had to share...Humidity breeds spoilage of onions so to extend the life of an onion, cut off the top of a clean, used pair of pantyhose, tie a knot and add another onion (I knew that one) OR wrap it in newspaper.

Also, raw or sauteed chopped onions can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months...the cooked onion can be tossed into dishes without thawing.

Kristin, I have the Prayer of Jabez printed out and on my bulletin board next to my computer in my home office! I say it daily- I think you and I are great minds that think alike! :)

Kristine (aka- Kitchen Diva)

While I demo the Classic Battter Bowl, I tell everyone to make pancake batter the night before, put the lid on and place it in the fridge overnight, the pancakes will be a lot lighter. I also tell them to cook bacon in the oven!
Using the Large bar pan, you can put almost 1 lb. of bacon and cook it for about 20-25 min at 350 degrees. The bacon won't curl up and it won't spatter because there is heat from the top and bottom. You only have to turn the bacon once during the cooking process and there is not splatter mess to clean up on the stove top.
My guests really seam to like that suggestion and it really works!
Jeremy Smith
Oregon, WI

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but if you add sour cream to your choc. chip cookie recipies the cookies will be much softer. It doesn't affect the taste. It's also very good in mashed potatoes. It makes them so much creamier.

pamperedchef.jeremy said:
While I demo the Classic Battter Bowl, I tell everyone to make pancake batter the night before, put the lid on and place it in the fridge overnight, the pancakes will be a lot lighter. I also tell them to cook bacon in the oven!
Using the Large bar pan, you can put almost 1 lb. of bacon and cook it for about 20-25 min at 350 degrees. The bacon won't curl up and it won't spatter because there is heat from the top and bottom. You only have to turn the bacon once during the cooking process and there is not splatter mess to clean up on the stove top.My guests really seam to like that suggestion and it really works!
Jeremy Smith
Oregon, WI

Guess what Jeremy...you NEVER have to turn the bacon!!:sing: Just let it cook! I usually cook mine at 425 for about 20 min or so.

Here's a seasonal one: The knife from the Cheese Bistro set is fantastic for cutting up candied fruit for fruitcake and Christmas cookies. That stuff is so sticky, but the design of the knife is such that there's not much surface for it to stick to.

You can demo the can strainer by putting right side up into a can of tuna or chicken, it will press all of the water or oil of the tuna and it stays in the can.

chefdiana2007 said:
You can demo the can strainer by putting right side up into a can of tuna or chicken, it will press all of the water or oil of the tuna and it stays in the can.
Great tip! I would never have thought to do this!

pamperedposey
thanks this is super helpful.

* Do not refrigerate potatoes. The temperature in your cooler will
turn the potato starch into sugar. you will then have to store the
potatoes for up to two weeks at 50 degrees to convert the sugar
back to starch. Always store your potatoes in a dark, cool, dry
area with good air flow.

* Roasting your meats fat side up will allow for continuous basting.
As the meat roasts the fat will run down the meat as it renders,
adding moisture and flavor.

* Garlic's flavor comes from sulfur compounds that are exposed when
the membranes of the individual cells are severed or broken and
come in contact with the air. So...understanding this we can assume
that a clove of garlic that is run through a garlic press or
smashed under your chefs knife will offer your dish a stronger
flavor then will garlic that has been sliced or quartered. A
roasted or simmered bulb will be even milder.

* When beating eggs, it is always best to allow them to come to room
temperature first; 30-45 minutes will do it. If you add a little
water instead of milk, you will get more volume and a fluffier
cooked product.

I don't think I've read these yet, so forgive me if they're repeats.

If you lay a wooden spoon across a pot, it will prevent boil-over. Much easier than oiling or buttering the rim.

Instead of putting rice into your salt shaker to combat humidity, use a toothpick. It will serve the same purpose.

when you cut your bell peppers or onions keep the membranes (seeds/stem) intact wrap with a dry paper towel then put in a ziploc bag. It will last 2 or 3 times longer. Good money saving tip as well

Not sure if anyone already mentioned it, but if you put a slice of bread on top of your homemade cookies when storing them, it will keep them soft. The bread becomes hard, but the cookies stay nice and soft.

pregochef said:
Not sure if anyone already mentioned it, but if you put a slice of bread on top of your homemade cookies when storing them, it will keep them soft. The bread becomes hard, but the cookies stay nice and soft.
This is strange as a friend just reminded me of this today! Wow, great minds...

chefdiana2007 said:
You cut the top off of pull tab cans (Pineapple) with the can opener. It is easier on your fingers and then you can flip the stainer over and use it in the can too!:chef:

chefdiana2007 said:

:D I just figured this one out the other day and was thrilled! Who knew a little thing like that could get me so excited! HA HA My husband came in the kitchen wanting to know what I was "Whoo hooing" about...LOL

Pineapple!I recently got back from Hawaii and had a wonderful time touring the dole plantation. Did you know that once a pineapple is picked, it will ripen no firther. It takes 18-24 months to grown an entire pineapple and they don't grow on trees! Crazy I tell ya!!!!

<H2>1. How do I keep my garlic fresh?</H2><p>When using garlic, be sure to keep the cloves attached to the root, rather than breaking off for storage. The longer they stay on the root, the longer your garlic will last and the more fresh it will be.</p><H2>2. What about onions and bell peppers?</H2><p>Same goes for onions and items like bell peppers. Leave what you aren't using attached to the stem, seeds, etc. This will help keep them fresher for longer.</p><H2>3. How can I easily chop herbs?</H2><p>Use a pair of kitchen shears to easily and quickly chop herbs like parsley, cilantro, and chives.</p><H2>4. What's the best way to peel ginger?</H2><p>Instead of using a peeler or knife, use the edge of a spoon to easily scrape off the skin of ginger. It's quicker and less wasteful.</p><H2>5. How do I prevent my cutting board from slipping?</H2><p>Place a damp paper towel or kitchen towel underneath your cutting board to prevent it from slipping while you chop and prep ingredients.</p>

1. How do I keep my garlic fresh?

When using garlic, be sure to keep the cloves attached to the root, rather than breaking off for storage. The longer they stay on the root, the longer your garlic will last and the more fresh it will be.

2. What about onions and bell peppers?

Same goes for onions and items like bell peppers. Leave what you aren't using attached to the stem, seeds, etc. This will help keep them fresher for longer.

3. How can I easily chop herbs?

Use a pair of kitchen shears to easily and quickly chop herbs like parsley, cilantro, and chives.

4. What's the best way to peel ginger?

Instead of using a peeler or knife, use the edge of a spoon to easily scrape off the skin of ginger. It's quicker and less wasteful.

5. How do I prevent my cutting board from slipping?

Place a damp paper towel or kitchen towel underneath your cutting board to prevent it from slipping while you chop and prep ingredients.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • dannyzmom