• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Quick Tips During Shows (Let's Share!!)

In summary, these are three quick tips to sharpen your blades, soften a lemon or lime, and store fresh produce: use a sheet of tin foil, crush ice, and keep herbs in a plastic baggie with a piece of paper towel.
Grate hard brown sugar with the Microplane adjustable grater.

Frying oilIf you are frying food and need to see if the oil is hot enough stand a wooden spoon up in the pot. If bubbles come out from the spoon then it is ready to go.. Thanks Rachel Ray for that one.:D

Any one have any tips for peaches? I am making a peach cobbler this weekend in the DCB .... i gave my hostess a list of very interesting recipes that i was dying to make and she picks the peach Cobbler... simple and easy... not to many products represented.... any ideas would be wonderful

Peaches are best picked when the fruit separates easily from the twigs. If it is hard to pull off the tree, it isn't ripe! Peaches will not ripen further once removed from the tree (they only "soften")

Fill a box with peaches and cover them with newspaper to speed up the ripening process.

To store in the freezer, slice the washed peaches into chunks, sprinkle on some lemon juice and pack them in freezer bags.

A pound of peaches equals 3 medium peaches, 2 cups sliced peaches, 1 ½ cup peach puree (approximately).

To peel peaches, place whole peach in boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove from boiling water with slotted spoon and place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Pull skin off using blade edge of paring knife to grab peel. Also use this method to peel other fruits such as apricots and tomatoes.

Two Easy Peach Tricks (I have not tried these…..) 1. Just pick a fresh, juicy peach, cut a slice from it, and rub the slice on your face. Leave the juice on for 20 minutes, then rinse with warm water. 2. After you've peeled peaches for a pie, save those skins to save your own! Before bed, just massage your face gently with the inside of the peach peelings for a few minutes and then go to sleep. The astringent sag-busting action of the peach juice will give you firmer, fresher skin in the morning.
Peach Moisturizer
This works as beautifully on hands and fingernails as it does on your face or anywhere on your body.
2 tablespoons almond oil
1/2 teaspoon honey
2 teaspoons peach juice
Mix ingredients well and apply all over.

byrd1956 said:
Peaches are best picked when the fruit separates easily from the twigs. If it is hard to pull off the tree, it isn't ripe! Peaches will not ripen further once removed from the tree (they only "soften")

Fill a box with peaches and cover them with newspaper to speed up the ripening process.

Wouldn't the newspaper be speeding up the softening process?? LOL

I thought that, too, but I got all my information from a peach farm website....
you would think they would know....

:chef: So here it is! I compiled everyones tips into a well-organized handout. Let me know what you think.

If you are using the PDF version, all you have to do is add your info to the right of "This information was provided by:"

If you are using MS Word, go to "view", header/footer...go into the footer and change the info to the right of "This information was provided by:".

Hope it helps! These are the only 2 formats I have the file in, so if you need a different format, :( sorry I can't help...

Attachments

• Quick Tips from Chef Success HANDOUT.doc
    72 KB · Views: 627
  • Quick Tips from Chef Success HANDOUT.pdf
    236.9 KB · Views: 430
I just learned this tip from one of my guests who has triplets (Lord, thank you for not giving me 3 at one time). Put the baby shampoo/wash (she said the Johnson & Johnson no more tears) in the suds pump. Makes it easier for us parents and the wash lasts longer!!!

pregochef said:
:chef: So here it is! I compiled everyones tips into a well-organized handout. Let me know what you think.

If you are using the PDF version, all you have to do is add your info to the right of "This information was provided by:"

If you are using MS Word, go to "view", header/footer...go into the footer and change the info to the right of "This information was provided by:".

Hope it helps! These are the only 2 formats I have the file in, so if you need a different format, :( sorry I can't help...

Love it - thank you so much!!

pregochef said:

That must have been extremely time consuming! Thanks!! :love:

nice document thanks for typing it up, I did notice one thing that isn't true, aluminum foil will NOT sharpen food chopper blades, neither will chopping ice (another one I have heard of).

wow PregoChef, thanks!

To keep your Gladware or Tupperware from staining when putting tomato sauce in them, first cool the sauce to room temperature, then spray the inside of the container with Pam before putting the sauce in.

If you have an avacado that is not quite ripe, you can also put it in a brown lunch bag and it will ripen up overnight.
Do not wash mushrooms, take a damp papercloth or towel and wipe them down.

lettuce leaf in soup
reba515 said:
and dropping a lettuce leaf into your cooked soup for the last few minutes will absorb a great deal of fat/grease.

Any kind of lettuce leaf

this is an odd tip but for any pregnant moms who will not be nursing after their baby...
put cabbage leaves in the freezer and get them ice cold then stick them in your bra, it will reduce the swelling when your milk comes in and help with the pain. Don't leave the house with them on though, once they "defrost" they wilt and get kind of stinky, but it feels really good for awhile and helps!!

Did you know that the best way to check a loaf of bread to see if the center is cooked is to insert a meat thermometer and if it reads 170degrees the protein is set an ready to come out of the oven! No more frosty the snowman... thumpity thump thump... is this bread all done????

Pineapples and Upside Down CakesSince the current Season's Best has the Pina Colada Cake in it (really good by the way) I looked up some info on pineapples...this is from one website, and is just some neat (maybe even useless) facts:

PINEAPPLES
Pineapples can weigh up to 20 pounds.

Pineapples most likely originated in Brazil, but there are no known native or wild pineapples known today, They are probably a cultivated species that developed under conditions of artificial selection.
More than one-third of the world's commercial supply of pineapples comes from Hawaii.

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
The term 'upside down cake' wasn't used very much before the middle of the 19th century, but the style of baking probably dates back much further, probably to the Middle Ages.

The early recipes for fruit upside down cakes were made in cast iron skillets on top of the stove.

The classic American 'Pineapple Upside Down Cake' dates to sometime after 1903, when Jim Dole invented canned pineapple.

The Hawaiian Pineapple Co. (now Dole Pineapple) held a pineapple recipe contest in 1925, with judges from Fannie Farmer's School, Good Housekeeping and McCall's magazine on the judging panel. The 100 winning recipes would be published in a cookbook the following year. Over 60,000 recipes were sent in, and 2,500 of them were for Pineapple Upside Down Cake. So it is obvious that between 1903 when canned pineapple was first available, and 1925 when the contest was held, Pineapple Upside Down Cake had become a very popular item. The Hawaiian Pineapple Company ran an ad campaign in 1926 based on the fact that so many recipes for the cake had been submitted, naturally making the Pineapple Upside Down Cake even more popular.

merego said:
this is an odd tip but for any pregnant moms who will not be nursing after their baby...
put cabbage leaves in the freezer and get them ice cold then stick them in your bra, it will reduce the swelling when your milk comes in and help with the pain. Don't leave the house with them on though, once they "defrost" they wilt and get kind of stinky, but it feels really good for awhile and helps!!

I can attest to this! LOL Thankfully, I stayed at home any time I did this but my 2yr at the time thought when I took the cabbage out of my bra he could eat it- had to use the garbage disposal not the can.

* Add a teaspoon of water when frying ground beef. It will help
pull the grease away from the meat while cooking.

* To really make scrambled eggs or omelets rich add a couple of
spoonfuls of sour cream, cream cheese, or heavy cream in and
then beat them up.

* For a cool brownie treat, make brownies as directed. Melt Andes
mints in double broiler and pour over warm brownies. Let set for
a wonderful minty frosting.

* Add garlic immediately to a recipe if you want a light taste of
garlic and at the end of the recipe if your want a stronger taste
of garlic.

Here's one for the double vanilla-- Have you ever priced vanilla beans at the grocery store? Did you know that it takes 100 vanilla beans to make a gallon of regular stregnth vanilla, and 200 to make double stregnth? Madagascar vanilla beans are prized for their quality and flavor.

mommyhugz1978 said:
I didn't know what to say to her last night........ It doesn't' happen to me to offten but on occasion it does!!!! and throws me off!!!

Ok so I am very new to PC and the forum so really you can take what I say with a grain of salt if you want but I will be receiving my kit soon and I have been cooking for YEARS, I own a catering business! Using metal doesn't JUST turn lettuce brown it actually rusts lettuce, so if you want to use metal on lettuce tear off the part you want to use and then use the metal on the part you are going to eat, also always leave the head attached to the lettuce it will stay fresh longer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies