• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

ITCHEN SHOW NERVES: Tips for Overcoming Performance Anxiety~

In summary, the experts recommend using an outline to help ease nerves prior to a show, printing out a show so it's easier to follow, and bringing index cards with information about the host to ease nerves.
kaceyleigh2
Does anyone else get nervous during Kitchen Shows and stumble over words? I've been doing this for almost a year and I still get nervous when I'm doing shows I end up forgetting to say important things or ingredients in my recipe etc. etc. I'm wanting to start using some of the many fun ideas i've found on here (throwing candy, playing games, etc.) but for some reason I'm still having a hard time with the basics. Does anyone have any tips/tricks on how to ease the nerves (don't say picture everyone naked-that'd probably make me even more nervous :D )
Thanks!
~K

I know how you feel! I've been doing PC a year (in July) and I still get butterflies! I'm such a dork I still use 3x5 cards to help me remember what to talk about!

I've been doing this for over 3 years. I have spent lots of time in front of people. I still get a bit nervous. I use an outline to keep myself on track. Yes, I occasionally stumble over words. It's because we're human. The reason that never happens to people on TV and in movies is because of editing. Ever see the outtakes?

I totally understand the stumbling over words thing. What I say at my shows to lighten my mood when I make mistakes is "see, anyone can do this!" I also type out my show in big type size, maybe 12 or 14. After I print it out I cut it into sections so I have 4 or 5" by 8 1/2" "note cards". It's easier to follow my outline and to find my place rather than having a whole piece of paper with a ton of words in front of me. Also, typing out my show the way I want to say things helps me remember better what I need to say and do during the show.

Believe in yourself and picture yourself in your mind doing a great job before you arrive at the show. You'll do great, and you're probably doing great. We are always hard on ourselves, aren't we?

Hey JAE! How'd your show go last night?

My show is tonight. I went to an Arbonne show/class/thing last night. I am now an Arbonne consultant. Not really. I paid the money to get the discounts for ordering the product at 35% off. I bought blush, lipstick and lip pencil. Anyway, I'm supposed to be getting ready for my show, right now, but I'm on this website instead! I love the CD's you let me borrow. I'm going to implement some of the strategies tonight. Hoping for bookings!

JAE said:
I totally understand the stumbling over words thing. What I say at my shows to lighten my mood when I make mistakes is "see, anyone can do this!" I also type out my show in big type size, maybe 12 or 14. After I print it out I cut it into sections so I have 4 or 5" by 8 1/2" "note cards". It's easier to follow my outline and to find my place rather than having a whole piece of paper with a ton of words in front of me. Also, typing out my show the way I want to say things helps me remember better what I need to say and do during the show.

Believe in yourself and picture yourself in your mind doing a great job before you arrive at the show. You'll do great, and you're probably doing great. We are always hard on ourselves, aren't we?

I will have to try the bigger font on Note Cards! I did do an outline but found I avoided it b/c I'd lose my place!

Thank you everyone for the encouraging words!!

The folks from the home office who did the New Consultant Recipes workshop at Leadership used the display binder to hold their notes. You could do that - put your notes on one side of each insert, so they face you, and specials/display cards in the other so the guests can see those when you flip pages.

I still get nervous right before I start, then it passes after intros! I still bring my show outline (AS MY SECURITY BLANKET) but don't really use it anymore.

I still get the jitters myself. Would you guys mind sharing your show outlines or 3x5 cards?

I am always jittery in the beginning of the show. I just mentally tell myself to knock it off! LOL I also bring my index cards with me. I barely use them but knowing that they are there to fall back on makes me feel better. And they have just simple info like host benefits, stoneware benefits, etc.

chefann said:
The folks from the home office who did the New Consultant Recipes workshop at Leadership used the display binder to hold their notes. You could do that - put your notes on one side of each insert, so they face you, and specials/display cards in the other so the guests can see those when you flip pages.

Thank you for sharing that idea!

I've been doing this for six years. I've never really been nervous about the public speaking part (I used to teach sex ed), but I continue to use an outline/notes. Like Rae, it helps me stay on track. Also, I can put page numbers or item numbers in my notes. . .don't have room (nor the desire to memorize) for that stuff in this brain!

I still get nervous every time and I have been doing this almost 4 years. The jitters are part of the excitement :)

1. How can I calm my nerves before an kitchen show?

The best way to calm your nerves before a kitchen show is to prepare and practice beforehand. Make sure you know your recipes and techniques well, and do a trial run with friends or family. Also, take deep breaths, do some relaxation exercises, and remind yourself that you are capable and prepared for the show.

2. What if I make a mistake during the kitchen show?

Mistakes happen, even to the most seasoned professionals. The key is to not let it throw you off. If you make a mistake, simply acknowledge it and move on. Your audience will understand and appreciate your authenticity. Remember to stay calm and focused, and don't let one mistake ruin the rest of your show.

3. How do I engage with my audience during the kitchen show?

Engaging with your audience is an important aspect of a successful kitchen show. Make eye contact, ask for volunteers to help with demonstrations, and encourage questions and comments. You can also share personal stories or tips related to the recipes you are preparing. This will make your audience feel more connected and interested in the show.

4. What if I forget what to say during the kitchen show?

It's normal to feel nervous and forgetful during a kitchen show. The best way to prevent this is to have notes or cue cards on hand to refer to. If you do forget what to say, take a deep breath and refer back to your notes. You can also ask your audience for suggestions or input, which can help you remember what to say next.

5. How can I improve my kitchen show skills and confidence?

The more you practice, the more confident you will become in your kitchen show skills. You can also watch videos of other successful kitchen shows for inspiration and tips. Attend workshops or classes to learn new techniques and improve your confidence. And most importantly, believe in yourself and your abilities! Your enthusiasm and passion for cooking will shine through and captivate your audience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nbittermann
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pcjulie
  • ktmoms
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ohiopamperedchef
  • Heather Rogers