• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Newbie Kitchen Show Tips: How to Succeed as a New Consultant in Direct Sales

In summary, the author is looking for advice on how to start a business. They are new to the industry and are concerned about the reception they will receive. They have been laid off and have been doing catty shows to make ends meet. They are concerned about their prospects for success and are considering hosting their own grand opening or doing some afternoon shows to attract a different audience.
jj16
Gold Member
I need some advice. I'm very new to this but really want to make it work. My previous job was mostly with men who now laugh at me when I tell them what I'm doing on the side. I'm currently laid off. My problem is this. I don't know very many people but have been doing two catty shows that the closing date had to be postponed because they don't have the orders. I'm going to have my 1st kitchen show this Wednesday(the 23rd will be my 30 day mark - not very good odds). I'm really not looking forward to it because I went to her house and her house smells like cat crap. How do I get through this? Does this happen often? I'm really discouraged. I do wear the logo wear and take my catty tote everywhere I go but I'm not getting much response. I've thought about hosting my own grand opening but my kitchen and living room are soooo tiny. I was also wondering if I wanted to do some afternoon shows what would be a good way to attract that crowd. My goal is to do 2 shows a day 4 days a week and 2 catalog shows a week. I know I won't stay with it if I have a lot of idle time. I'm single and I used to work 13-14 hour days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Just because your kitchen is small doesn't mean you can't have an open house. You can do a demo in your LR on a card table if you need to. Where are you located, is it nice enough outdoors to do something? Also, if you feel that your house just isn't large enough, look into doing an open house at a community center, church hall... have you tried sending e-mails/calling former co-workers? Maybe their wives would host a show? There are also threads on here about pampering a business....maybe this is something you can look into. You need to stay positive :D and recognize the potential in whatever situation you find yourself in! Good luck!
jen

Welcome to PC and CS! Don't worry about the nay-sayers. You are going to love this and have fun doing it. Along with trying to line up catalog and cooking shows, be on the look out for fundraisers. Check local papers for groups doing fund raising and with the schools.Call on your friends and family to help you get started if possible. Ask them to host a show for you. If you feel your house is too small for an open house, perhaps a friend will let you borrow theirs. Or local civic halls sometimes have facilities available. And don't forget the most important thing -- try really hard to get bookings from each show you do. This should expand your marketing area pretty quickly -- keep branching out.If you get to do a booth somewhere (malls, etc.) offer a free party to the winner (which means you'd buy the ingredients -- some people also pay the postage). This is a great way to get bookings. Amazing, many people actually "win".As far as the "smelly" house, you may be quite pleasantly surprised how well the show turns out. Just try to grin and bear it, and be thankful it isn't your house that smells.The grand opening is a great idea. Check out the files here for ideas. Also don't be afraid to ask your director for help. When you win, he/she wins.

I think the smelly house is the worst part about this business in my opinion... going into people's homes that are quite nasty. I just have to remind myself that it is not reflecting on me... these are their friends and their house and the people know that. They won't think that you brought the smell with you. Just try to be professional and not turn your nose up and stay positive. If you are neat and professional and clean, then the guests won't judge you or our products because of the condition of the house. And make sure that you have a clean work surface, either bring a table cloth if you think it might not be, or maybe bring some of those Clorox wipes to wipe up your table or area before you start setting up. If it's going to be really nasty, just use the table cloth and keep your stuff on it. People will know that your area at least is clean. I just had to keep reminding myself that it didn't reflect on me and the guests are probably used to seeing or smelling her home that way. Also, keep an open mind, sometimes those turn out to be great shows... just try to go with the flow. Good luck with your first show!

Another suggestion...if you haven't made your list of 100, do so and start there. It's amazing how many people we forgot that we know until we start making or reviewing the list. Good luck!

I forgot to add that in the file section here there's documents about 50 places to get bookings or something like that. Great ideas so check out the file section :)

You could always use the allergy-type Febreze around your demo area so maybe it wouldn't smell too bad when you were making food.
Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Put something in the oven with a lot of garlic.. or cinnamon so it will smell like that.... or saute onions and garlic... it can make the difference. Brownies cooking also fill the air.... then ignore the problem and do your very best. She may do a great job cleaning and take care of the problem herself!! Play games.. make it fun and no one will notice.. Good luck and welcome!! You will love it. May you fill your calendar!!!

Is your director/recruiter able to attend with you? I go to all my recruits first show. I want them to focus on recipe and the products. I'm there to offer an extra hand, talk about the monthly specials, and get bookings for them. I know it has really helped my new recruits. I would asked your recruiter if he/she could join you. They are also a great source for inspiration. Arrange to speak weekly.

Thanks for the tips, hints and suggestions. Julie Lockhart what are you referring to when you say arrange to speak weekly? Are you talking about cooking shows or something else? Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:

What is a "Newbie 1st Kitchen Show"?

A "Newbie 1st Kitchen Show" is a special type of Pampered Chef party designed for those who are new to hosting or attending a Pampered Chef show. It's a fun and low-pressure way to learn about our products and have a great time with friends.

How do I host a "Newbie 1st Kitchen Show"?

Hosting a "Newbie 1st Kitchen Show" is easy! Simply contact your Pampered Chef consultant and let them know you're interested in hosting. They will work with you to schedule a date and time, and help you with all the details to make your show a success.

What can I expect at a "Newbie 1st Kitchen Show"?

At a "Newbie 1st Kitchen Show," you can expect to see and learn about some of our most popular products, as well as get tips and tricks for using them in your own kitchen. You'll also have the opportunity to try out some of our products and even win some prizes!

Do I need to purchase anything at a "Newbie 1st Kitchen Show"?

There is no pressure to purchase anything at a "Newbie 1st Kitchen Show." However, if you do find products that you love, your consultant will be available to help you place an order. Plus, as a host, you can earn free and discounted products based on the sales from your show.

Can I bring a friend to a "Newbie 1st Kitchen Show"?

Absolutely! The more, the merrier. "Newbie 1st Kitchen Shows" are a great way to introduce friends and family to Pampered Chef and our products. Just let your consultant know ahead of time how many guests you plan to bring so they can plan accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefetteDuJour
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • BeckyTank
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
hamiltonchef
  • Erin Bender