• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Get Hosts to Increase Guest Lists?

T
twinmomjen
I have been mailing out the invitations for my hosts, and have been doing all the usual host coaching (including sending reminder postcards) about "big guest list = successful show" and yet this week I received small guests lists from 2 hostesses. One list had only 5 people on it, and the other had 7 people on it.

I really need some ideas for positively coaching my hostesses to invite more people. I constantly run into the whole "I don't know anybody" or "I don't want to offend anybody" issue. I try to get people use the ideas in the Host Planner, etc., but still I am suffering a run of horribly-attended kitchen shows. Last week I had a show where NOBODY showed up!

I blame this on myself mostly, and my host coaching - which apparently isn't working. HELP!!! Thanks. :)

I always tell my hosts that it is normal for only about 1/3 of those that she invites to attend her show. Therefore, she should invite 40 people and most likely only about 12-14 will attend. Reassure the host that if more show up and the show is "cozy" that will be fun and people won't mind. Also, you could explain that you've never had a show where so many attended that it created any problems. If only!

Jeanie Gay

offer an incentive if they have at least 25 people on the list...
maybe some extra fpv or somethng small.

So, your hosts sent you these tiny lists for you to mail invitations to her guests?

Well.... if they claim that that is the only people they know, then take it upon yourself to let the guests know on the invitation that if they bring a friend, they get a gift (Twixit?). And maybe also put on there that if they bring 2 friends, they get ...hmmmm.... maybe 10% off? It might be worth it to you to give that person the discount since she brought two more bodys to your show.

Have you seen that 40 guests in 4 minutes thing? You could call up your hosts and actually do it WITH them over the phone. They probably arent inviting people who are not their CLOSEST friends or relatives.

hope this helps

Ummm, are you saying that host's are telling you that if they invite people they will be offended? Cause I always tell my hosts to invite everyone they could think of because if they leave someone off there could be hurt feelings.

I also offer an incentive if they get me 50 names....

Wow, thats right. You need to steer them away from that thought immediately! How could someone be offended by being invited?
They get offended when they are NOT invited!!

Wow, for that few guests invited, I'd try to turn it into a catalog show. I have several hosts who can't get past 25 names and I'm not sure how to get them to add more names either. Helping them of different groups of people seems to help: did you invite your co-workers? neighbors? family (even if from out of town)? kid's contacts? Helping them think of people that aren't "friends" who might still buy something is important.

I also try to talk about the number of orders (not guests) at the beginning of booking the show. Yes, I want people at the show, but I want the host to understand how important outside orders can be. So I say, "I'm sending you 40 invitations that need to go out because fewer than half of those people will be able to attend. If they can't come, they can always place an order on-line - even if they live out of town. You want to have between 20-25 orders for your show to be successful."

I always ask my hosts when they are hesitant to invite someone, like coworkers or neighbors, it could work for anyone: Sue, would you be upset if heard that Carol had a show and didn't invite you and invited many of your other coworkers/neighbors/friends/etc.? It helps.

Talk it throughI agree with the approach of talking it through with your host. I did this with my Mom (whose show is mostly outside orders, but still...) and she thought of at least 16 ppl vs. the 10 she thought of before! Sometimes it helps to have someone brainstorm and point out different ppl to them.

Another to point out: ask someone who has asked you for something...to sponsor a fundraiser, buy something for kids' school etc. Another I hadn't thought much about was their hairdresser. The Show I observed last weekend, her stylist attended. That made me get in for my cut a week early today...I wore my pin and my stylist was so pumped! She's going to try to come to my open house, and also agreed to tell her co-workers about it! So you never know...

When I started sending out invitations for my hosts I put a sticker on all of them saying "Bring a friend and get free shipping on your order!" I can't believe how many poeple have brought a friend since doing this, and the commission I make off these extra guests have made up for what I spend!

Really good ideas ladies! I have been down this road many times myself.. I will definitely use these ideas to get more people at my shows! Thanks!

These are some great ideas... I live in a small town and so I incrogage them to invite 40 but I am getting list with 10 people on them. It's frustating!!!!Thanks for the words of encouragement!!

My mom's consultant (director) gives a barboard to those who give her a full list of 40 guests. After tacking it on with the host's discount, and subtracting the commission she gets on it, she's out like, 5 bucks. And she sends out the invitations for them. My mom just had a party and invited 87 people b'c she wanted 2 barboards (though I'm not sure if she ended up getting two or not! lol) LOL.. wish she would have hosted with me, i'd have given her 3 for that many people.. BTW, she had 28 in attendance and used her host rewards to get the cookware set (this was during the cookware bonus pts month too).. ahh well, life goes on..

I offer $10 credit for 40 complete addresses (with phone & email), and I also use the "50 Guests In 5 Minutes" worksheet with my hosts, and also, on the invites use the Nancy's sticker "Bring a Friend or Outside order & get a gift".

With that being said - Sometimes I have hosts who just WON'T give me more names! I had a host in Jan. who gave me 15 names - but had 18 at her show(everyone on her list came! and some brought friends!), and several outside orders, and had a $900 show(and 3 bookings)! Last night I had a show with a host who only gave me 11 names....and when I called to encourage more names - she was very definite that that was all she could give me! I really didn't think there would even be a show....but she had 8 guests, the show is at $400, and a couple people took catalogs and order forms because they had friends at work who wanted to order......so I'm beginning to think that I need to
1. - Coach my hosts first to give me a good list, but ...
2. - Trust my hosts - they know the people on their list - I don't!
AND People have shows for different reasons - last night, the host had booked just to help out her friend who wanted the host bonus for the month - she's happy to get some free and discounted stuff - but that wasn't why she booked - so to her, A $400 show is great - and she is really happy with the turn-out! It was by no means my highest $ party (not even my average), but it was fun, everyone enjoyed themselves, I got a booking, and also a couple regular customers who had been looking for a PC consultant! So, even though in my mind - I think - "wow! if she had just given me a better list - I could have had an AWESOME show "- The reality is it was still a successful show - I have a happy host, and happy guests......and now I have to go make my MAC calls!:)

Becky, thank you for your very good ideas, I wish I would have had you to Host Coach me, my Director never taught me anything about Host Coaching or anything else, so I am very lucky to have found this great web site.

Thank you to everyone for all of their help, (whether they know they are helping me or not).

Maybe one day I will be able to help someone also. :)

BNORCROSS said:
Becky, thank you for your very good ideas, I wish I would have had you to Host Coach me, my Director never taught me anything about Host Coaching or anything else, so I am very lucky to have found this great web site.

Thank you to everyone for all of their help, (whether they know they are helping me or not).

Betty,
Thanks :) To help you out a little more - I host coach by using a 3 phone call-3 post card system (I use the post cards from Nancy's) in this order:
1. I send a post card thanking them for booking a show with a reminder of when their show is
2. I call to go over the Host Packet - encourage them to set some goals for their show, and encourage them to think of as many names as possible for their list
3.I send a post card with a reminder to: be telling people about their show, when I need their guest list, and again when their show is
4. Call to thank them for getting the guest list to me (or encourage them to get it to me NOW!) and go over menu and other show details
5. Send a postcard reminding them to call all guests and remind them of the show
6. Call to get final count for the show, and to get directions - and go over any final details.
Using this system seems to help keep hosts excited and on track for their shows - I RARELY have cancellations - and when I do, it's far enough out that I can usually reschedule the date - plus the Host feels more connected to me - by the time I do the show, we have a good working relationship - and sometimes a real friendship:)

Hope this helps a bit more! I'm sorry your director hasn't helped you with host coaching! Oh - There are also a couple CD's you can order on your Supply orders - they are only $2 - and are very helpful! AV11 - Building Relationships/Better Host Coaching and AV82 - Win/Win Host Coaching

Last edited:
thanks for the tips...... I am begnning to see the light at the end of the tunnel with increasing my host guest list....... :)

BNORCROSS said:

You're so sweet!

All these tips are very encorgaing for my business!! thank you!!

Thanks everyone - there are some AWESOME responses and ideas in this thread!

Update: last night I had the show for the host who gave me a small guest list. Only 3 showed up (I was honestly pleasantly surprised, as for awhile there it was just the host and me!) and, with outside orders, her show will be around $200 so she is getting a few free things and a happy host is most important. HOWEVER...I did learn a few things:

First, I am finding that, in my SS months, most of the people who booked shows just to "help me out" (for example, friends, old co-workers, family) are just not as motivated or excited as hostesses. I think they have this mindset that just booking a show is a huge favor to me, and that they don't need to go to much effort beyond that. I am going to keep this in mind when I recruit consultants, and help them with "specialized" host coaching for their SS months. The GOOD news is that the hosts who booked off my initial shows - so, people I didn't know before I became a PC consultant - are becoming AWESOME and enthusiastic hosts, respond well to host coaching, giving me big guest lists, etc.

2) No matter who the host is, her motivation level needs to be ALL about her wish list! My host last night just wanted to earn a batter bowl (!) and anything other than that was gravy to her. I need to work harder on getting people excited about our high-end products before they book, so there is an incentive to have their own show.

3) Taking the advice in this thread, I have started offering an incentive to get me a 40-name guest list and 15 guests in attendance!

Thanks again!

I have one right now that is stuck on wanting to only invite 10 people! Can't talk them into more. I will just keep my fingers crossed. It is a Friday morning brinch and she said she would collect orders from her friends that are working. We will see...I had my first show that only 3 people came to turn into a $967 show with outside orders....maybe a repeat of that.

jrstephens said:
I have one right now that is stuck on wanting to only invite 10 people! Can't talk them into more. I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Have the postcards gone out? If not, make a sticker or write "bring two guests and get a gift" (or one guest). Can't hurt to try.

I have the "bring a guest and get a gift" stamp. I put it on all my postcards. Also, when I make reminder calls I remind them that if they bring someone who isn't on the guest list I'll have a gift for them.

twinmomjen said:
First, I am finding that, in my SS months, most of the people who booked shows just to "help me out" (for example, friends, old co-workers, family) are just not as motivated or excited as hostesses. I think they have this mindset that just booking a show is a huge favor to me, and that they don't need to go to much effort beyond that.

The trick here is to convince these "first hosts" that they are critical to the health of the new business. And then, get them to understand that besides all the people you know in common, the most important thing they can do is to invite as many people as they can think of that you don't know.

I had one woman tell me, "Well, I only did this as a favor to you." I couldn't help but say (because I work with her and know she was being a bit snotty), "Ummm.. You got $400 in products for $112. Who's doing who the favor?"

Someone here recommended the CD AV11 Build Relationships for Better Host Coaching with Lisa Vales and Jayne Cannon. I just started listening to it the other day, and it is AWESOME and FUNNY. There's some good advice I'm going to start implementing right away. And the price is right...$2.00!!

Good luck,
Diane

Thanks Diane! I'm going to order it!

AJPratt said:
I had one woman tell me, "Well, I only did this as a favor to you." I couldn't help but say (because I work with her and know she was being a bit snotty), "Ummm.. You got $400 in products for $112. Who's doing who the favor?"

AAAAHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA GAAASSSP AAAHHH HA HA HA HA....
Im sorry, i was picturing that exchange andit made me VERY HAPPY!!! LOLOL

So... what did she say to that?

For those hosts that are "just doing a favor" and truly don't care if they get free stuff - one idea is to let her offer her party as a Mystery Host Party. That way she won't feel like she is trying to benefit from her friends spending money (some people really do struggle with that...) Instead, she is offering her friends a chance to reap the rewards. And it may boost attendance :D

I would think that you could really drum up bookings that way too, since you would be able to really talk up the host rewards!

Veevahchef: I was surprised by her response because she always has something to say. She just said,"You're absolutely right and I love everything!"

This month is going way better than last month already, I have a show tommrow night, and I just close a show tonight!!!! Got a guest list for another one in two weeks, and I have one this Thursday night WHOO!!! and two more in the works!!!

1. Why is having a large guest list important for a successful show?

Having a large guest list increases the chances of getting more attendees at your show. This means more potential customers and sales for your business. It also creates a more lively and engaging atmosphere, making the show more enjoyable for everyone involved.

2. How can I encourage my host to increase their guest list?

One way to encourage your host to increase their guest list is by emphasizing the benefits for them, such as earning more rewards or free products. You can also provide them with tips and ideas for expanding their network, such as inviting coworkers, neighbors, and friends from different social circles.

3. How can I address the issue of hosts not knowing anyone to invite?

You can suggest that the host think outside of their immediate circle and consider inviting acquaintances or friends of friends. You can also offer to help them create a guest list by brainstorming together or providing them with a list of potential guests based on their interests and demographics.

4. How can I overcome the fear of offending potential guests?

Remind your host that they are simply extending an invitation and there is no pressure for the guests to attend or make a purchase. You can also assure them that their friends and family will be happy to support them and have a good time at the show.

5. What can I do if my host coaching is not working and I am experiencing poorly attended shows?

If your host coaching is not yielding the desired results, you may need to reassess your approach and try different strategies. This could include providing more personalized coaching, offering incentives for hosts with successful shows, or trying new marketing techniques to attract more guests. It is also important to communicate openly and honestly with your hosts and gather their feedback to improve your coaching in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cheflorraine
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
letmepamperu13
  • TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Roadtripray