• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What to Do When a Hostess Doesn't Get Guests for a Show?

In summary, the new hostess had a show that barely made the minimum and it was better than she would have assumed.
kittychef
Ok I had a "show" this week from a past hostess of mine who last year did a show and no one came. I pumped up her host coaching this time around and called her prety much every day. I asked her to give me the telephone numbers for the people she invited so I could make the reminder calls but she told me she didn't feel cmfortable doing that. So the day before the show I called her to get a firm head count on who was coming she told me 5. When I get to her house there was no one there. Her mom did show up and her sister, but no one else. I did do her show and told her now it was her chance to make some calls and get orders from the people who said they were going to be there but didn't come.
Ok her sister booked a show for next week and because she has a tiny appartment she wants to do her show at her sister's house. I'm very skeptical about this. I was out money sisnce I provide the ingridients and no one came to the show, plus my gas her house is about 30 miles from my house. Today she calls me to close her show and she didn't get any orders. So prety much I went to her house to cook for her and her family.
So here's my question, is it ok to tell the new hostess that if she doesn't have confirmed guest to just turn the show into a catalog show? I don't want to be out cash again. I've already gone through call 1 and 2 of host coaching I offered to mail the invitations but she said she would pass them out at work and everyone else is family. I'm worried the samething is going to happen again

Any ideas of what I should do?
THANKS!

Yes, it is definitely okay. You can tell her that because this happened twice to you, you won't do a cooking show unless you can mail the invitations and make follow-up calls. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times....well, gurl you done be crazy. :) I think you have a legitimate concern. I would do the same thing you are thinking of doing.

I understand your hesitance. We also have no idea IF the sister will operate in the same manner as the original host (in terms of not really inviting and having no shows). I would proceed as normal...DO NOT provide the recipe ingredients and see how it goes. If it ends up the same then you know to basically write off that family as show hosts.

The new host may totally surprise you. Just because she is related to the last host does not mean you will receive the same dud results.

Good luck!!

Liquid Sky said:

The new host may totally surprise you. Just because she is related to the last host does not mean you will receive the same dud results.

My thoughts exactly. Just because sister #1 failed, doesn't mean that sister #2 will too. And it's not fair for sister #2 to be punished for the deeds of sister #1. ;)

Proceed as normal and do lots of host coaching. Explain to her that the reason that you mail out the invites, is that you've proven to yourself time & time again that the shows are more successful when you do that. Which means more benefits for the current host! And since you know that she's a fan of PC and that she's interested in earning products for free & at a discount, that you would LOVE to help her maximize those benefits by following the proven method and letting you do what you do best ... ;)

I had a late June show that barely made the minimum. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't if I hadn't had a couple of people contact me for things. I was kind of dreading the booking from it--a "very good friend from church." Since that's where the original host got her orders, I figured the booking would be similarly low. That booking held last Tuesday. We closed Friday at just over $500, with 2 bookings and a possible recruit. No, that's not an outstanding show, but it's much, much better than I would have assumed. Go into this show with open heart and mind. You never know what might come of it.

8 years ago the requirement for a show was 5 orders OR $150 in guest sales. I had a show that I drove 70 miles to (140 round trip) and it was 5 orders - $60. There were 2 people there and between them and the host they ordered 5 things. The host split them into the 5 orders and she paid the extra shipping. The 2 people both booked shows - both were family of the host.

One was $400, the other was $500. Bookings from those shows had sales of $1000+, $600, $400, $200, $500... (I did nothing different at those shows than the first.)

It was so worth that first show.

I had another with a good friend. No one came. No sales. No bookings.

We never know. It's the law of averages. As the go for no people say, it's quantity that's important.

as far as the cost of the food... I would let your hosts (all hosts not just these)know that you provide the ingredients if their sales are over X amount. That way you are sure to at least recover your costs. That is if you still want to provide ingredients.. Other alternatives is to just ask for the $15 that the host gets in free product assuming they are paying for the ingredietns. Or always get reimbursed for the cost of the ingredients. Or have the host provide the ingredients

When we did the points thing I too did a party. Luckily it was only about a mile from home. Weird, about 20 people and not one order when I left! Well, my host got on the phone with everyone and ended closing at, get this, $700.
I had another show where the host was again about 10 miles from home. She had three guests. We had about $75 in orders. It closed at $1021! I had another party that was over 50 miles from home. I made three items, she paid, she had two guests and I barely got it closed! You can never assume anything. So if these are two different people, you can NOT assume one will be the same as the other. I know, I too wish I had a crystal ball to tell me it will be worth it but, well, that ain't gonna happen.

I just closed a show that was booked from a $1200 show with 12 orders and 2 bookings. I did the same for this show as I always do and the host had 10 yes with $180 in advance sales before the show started. During my set up the number was reduced to 5 attending but still no one is in the house but me and the host. Seven p.m. when the demo should be starting the past host arrives .... alone!!! No real good reasons for anyone not attending just LIFE happens and they had better places to be. Show closed at $369 and the host is happy because she got the items she wanted and rebooked for Nov. This host is a repeat host (every 2 yrs)and always has great attendenace and sales but not this show. You just never know what will happen... This sister might just fill the house and you will sell $$$. Show her family how it is suppose to be done! Good Luck and keep us updated.

Like everyone else, you can never assume anything. Too many times I have and I was wrong. Go with an open heart and hopefully it will be worth your time.

Thank you guys for the support and the good ideas.
So here's the update: I got ready and went to the show thinking it'll be an awesome show! Well as I'm backing up in my driveway she calls and says she needed to reschedule because her daughter was sick. So we rescheduled for this upcoming Tuesday, did more host coaching with her and called some of her guests to let them know the show was rescheduled. This afternoon i got a text from her that she needed to cancel again. I'm writing that whole family off!!!
But on the briht side I have an extra opening so I'm getting on the phone and making some calls!! Gotta turn lemons into Lemon-Lime Fizz!!:p

kittychef said:
Thank you guys for the support and the good ideas.
So here's the update: I got ready and went to the show thinking it'll be an awesome show! Well as I'm backing up in my driveway she calls and says she needed to reschedule because her daughter was sick. So we rescheduled for this upcoming Tuesday, did more host coaching with her and called some of her guests to let them know the show was rescheduled. This afternoon i got a text from her that she needed to cancel again. I'm writing that whole family off!!! But on the briht side I have an extra opening so I'm getting on the phone and making some calls!! Gotta turn lemons into Lemon-Lime Fizz!!:p

Goodness Girl! I would be writing them off too. :eek:

Yes, she's left you unemployed for the day twice now, I'd not agree to do another date without the guest list in your hand so that you have everyone lined up to come regardless of what she has going on! ;)

1. What should I do if my hostess is struggling to get guests for her show?

First, try offering incentives for guests such as free products or discounts. You can also suggest that the hostess reach out to friends and family to help fill up the guest list. Additionally, consider promoting the show on social media or offering virtual options for those who may not be able to attend in person.

2. Is it a good idea to cancel the show if there aren't enough guests?

No, it's important to still hold the show even if there are only a few guests. This gives the hostess an opportunity to earn rewards and for guests to see the products in person. Plus, you never know if a small show might lead to future bookings or sales.

3. How can I help my hostess if she's feeling discouraged about not having enough guests?

Remind your hostess that the number of guests does not determine the success of the show. Encourage her to focus on the guests who are attending and to make the most out of the event. You can also offer to assist with promoting the show or reaching out to potential guests.

4. Should I offer a different date or time for the show if the original one isn't working?

If the hostess is open to it, offering a different date or time can be a good solution. This allows for more flexibility for guests and may result in a higher attendance. However, make sure to communicate with the hostess and guests to find a time that works for everyone.

5. What can I do to prevent this issue from happening in the future?

To prevent a low turnout for a show, it's important to communicate with the hostess about the importance of inviting guests and promoting the event. You can also provide resources and tips for the hostess to help her reach out to potential guests. Additionally, consider offering rewards or incentives for guests who attend the show or for the hostess who has a successful turnout.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered.chris
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pampered.chris
  • SherryLynn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • cookn' katie