• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Wow, I Had a Tastefully Simple Party Last Night to Help a Friend

In summary, Holy Shimoly, do I LOVE PC!!! This is what I had to do ahead of time:She dropped off this whole bag of stuff last week. For her demo I had to make 1 loaf of beer bread, 1 loaf of chocolate pound cake, 5 dips (2 warm), 1 pan of soup, and a batch of marinara sauce. Of course I did drinks too. This was all done before she got here. She did the demo pretty quickly, actually did a great job, passing plates of food to sample--it went pretty fast but there were a lot of samples. Of course, there is
Nanisu
Gold Member
Holy Shimoly, do I LOVE PC!!! This is what I had to do ahead of time:

She dropped off this whole bag of stuff last week. For her demo I had to make 1 loaf of beer bread, 1 loaf of chocolate pound cake, 5 dips (2 warm), 1 pan of soup, and a batch of marinara sauce. Of course I did drinks too. This was all done before she got here. She did the demo pretty quickly, actually did a great job, passing plates of food to sample--it went pretty fast but there were a lot of samples. Of course, there is only so many ways you can say "this is great on chicken and fish"...but the food was good. I had 14 guests, and the sales were only $265--most people bought 1 or two items at most. No bookings, which I really didn't expect--she mentioned it but didn't ask for them and all my friends know I do PC, so they probably didn't book for that reason.

I am working to get two more orders to get to $300. You know what I get if I do? $45 in product. Normally it would be just $30 but in January they upped it by another 50%. So I get $45 in product. That's it. No 1/2 price, no hostess special unless I wanted to buy a loaf pan and beer bread combo for $40. NO DISCOUNT. Bupkis. So I picked out my 3 soups, 1 dip and a salad dressing and it still came to $20 over my $45.

Wow, am I talking about our great hostess benefits even MORE at my next show after doing all this work (and of course cleaning the house, etc) and getting a lousy $45 in product. And if it hadn't been January I would have only received $30 in product. This was a lot of work. Oh, and by the way, the invites she gave me to send out NEVER GOT THERE. Thank you, US Postal Service. Not one. I asked the mailman what would have held them up (I mailed them 3 weeks ago), and he said "well, they kind of look like a 3rd class type of thing". What? They had a first class stamp on them! So I spent $5.00+ in postage + bought the cream cheese, sour cream, garlic etc for the ingredients, + cooked for two hours+ cleaned my house, + ++...for $45 in product.

I LOVE OUR HOST PROGRAM!!

I agree, I have never done a TS party, but have heard it is a lot of work. You live and learn!

Yes, I love PC too!!

It's funny that you say that.. two girls in our cluster left PC to do TS!?? WTH? They say it's less work, more bookings and more commission!?? Hm, how in the world is that?

heat123 said:
It's funny that you say that.. two girls in our cluster left PC to do TS!?? WTH? They say it's less work, more bookings and more commission!?? Hm, how in the world is that?

Well, when you have the party hostess make everything for you and there is hardly any host special, that probably accounts for the less work and more commission stuff.

You know what I think when people tell me their DS business has a better commission rate? That their stuff is REALLY overpriced.

Well, it's less work because you make your host do all the cooking!

Or I hate when other DS people say they earn 50% commission when after the host bennies and other fees they pay in the end, they only earn the same as us! :/

Years & years ago I sold Tupperware. Their commission rate was much higher but we had to pay for all hostess gifts etc. out of that commission. After paying all of that, you ended up making about 20%!! So, if someone says their commission is higher you might want to ask if they have to pay for all of that stuff! Then you are actually comparing apples to apples!

heat123 said:

It may be less work for the CONSULTANT...but I definitely think it is MORE work for the host.

I hosted a TS party about 2 yrs ago. I had to buy ingredients but I also had to pre-make everything!!! Not to mention the drinks, etc. (Really, if a TS drink is offered - it is only a small sample in a little shot glass!!)

I am not bashing TS. It is what it is. I just went to a show. But I agree that it really doesn't provide the host with ANYWHERE the benefits PC does.

Oh, and TS used to offer 1/2 price items (maybe only at a certain level) but there was a LIMIT on how much the half price item could cost. Atleast that was how I think it used to be.

Think about how all our hosts have to do is get the ingredients (sometimes we even do that for them!!). Sometimes they are shocked that's all they have to do! I used to feel bad about sometimes asking them to pre-make the brownie for a trifle.

My favorite is one of the jewelry companies that make you pay tax on your free stuff! I spent over $35 in tax (and shipping too!) on all my free stuff!

wadesgirl said:
My favorite is one of the jewelry companies that make you pay tax on your free stuff! I spent over $35 in tax (and shipping too!) on all my free stuff!

Yeah, one of my first hosts who totaled her free stuff was shocked she didn't have to pay tax on her "free" stuff. lol

I love TS, but lately I've decide I really don't care for it anymore. I would way rather go to a PC show because not only do you get to eat something good, but you can buy real items plus you can pick up a beer bread mix or whatever seasoning. I used to like the soups, but found I like my faster homemade kind better. Tastes fresher and is still easy. And I just tried our beer bread (I don't drink alcohol, so I use Sierra Mist) and it tasted just like TS. We have all these rubs and seasonings and I just think they are great. Ours have no MSG just like theirs, so I really don't see the point in having a show. I have a friend consultant and I was thinking of doing a catty show with just asking my family if they want things (because we usually do order a lot just between all of us), but I'm rethinking that. Those prepackaged things for TS go so fast and it just feels like money down the drain (or should I say toilet?!) ;) :yuck: And a lot of times I loved the little sample, but when I bought the whole product, didn't end up liking it when it was a whole serving. KWIM?

kam said:
It may be less work for the CONSULTANT...but I definitely think it is MORE work for the host.

I hosted a TS party about 2 yrs ago. I had to buy ingredients but I also had to pre-make everything!!! Not to mention the drinks, etc. (Really, if a TS drink is offered - it is only a small sample in a little shot glass!!)

I am not bashing TS. It is what it is. I just went to a show. But I agree that it really doesn't provide the host with ANYWHERE the benefits PC does.

Oh, and TS used to offer 1/2 price items (maybe only at a certain level) but there was a LIMIT on how much the half price item could cost. Atleast that was how I think it used to be.

Think about how all our hosts have to do is get the ingredients (sometimes we even do that for them!!). Sometimes they are shocked that's all they have to do! I used to feel bad about sometimes asking them to pre-make the brownie for a trifle.

Which could be why they never raved about TS host program, only that it's better for the consultants!:p

I have a friend who sells TS and does great with it...the products are pretty good, certain things are better than others...but we use them sparingly around here because of the cost. Like the Parmesan Cheddar Biscuit mix...these are SO good, but for $6+ per box we only make them when we're expecting company for dinner, because I love my DH but he can live without those on a regular basis. I can't imagine selling it myself, because I can't even imagine trying to host a party and get people to come, but everyone has a place that works for them and PC is mine. :)

Don't get me wrong I love TSs, chipotle jellies and thier spinich onion dressing but I can't afford to replenish them every week! lol

babywings76 said:
I love TS, but lately I've decide I really don't care for it anymore. I would way rather go to a PC show because not only do you get to eat something good, but you can buy real items plus you can pick up a beer bread mix or whatever seasoning. I used to like the soups, but found I like my faster homemade kind better. Tastes fresher and is still easy. And I just tried our beer bread (I don't drink alcohol, so I use Sierra Mist) and it tasted just like TS. We have all these rubs and seasonings and I just think they are great. Ours have no MSG just like theirs, so I really don't see the point in having a show. I have a friend consultant and I was thinking of doing a catty show with just asking my family if they want things (because we usually do order a lot just between all of us), but I'm rethinking that. Those prepackaged things for TS go so fast and it just feels like money down the drain (or should I say toilet?!) ;) :yuck: And a lot of times I loved the little sample, but when I bought the whole product, didn't end up liking it when it was a whole serving. KWIM?

This is exactly how I feel about TS!

I love TS Almond Pound Cake, and Strawberry-Rhubarb Spread...but I find myself hoarding it for "something special" too. Plus, I've discovered that their S-R spread is the same price as American Spoon Foods Spoon Fruit, and I like the ASF's version even more!

Yes, I have hosted other shows as well and PC is by far the best!

DebbieJ said:
Yes, I have hosted other shows as well and PC is by far the best!

Me too! I did a Close to my heart and Passion party. Both only had a flat free products and nothing else. Oh wait PP had a host special but I had to pay for tax on my free and pay the shipping!:eek:

also remember most of the TS consultants maintain an inventory!!! We don't .. :D

colegrovet said:
also remember most of the TS consultants maintain an inventory!!! We don't .. :D

Oh, didn't know that! I figured they just had "sample" stock on supply not inventories!:eek:

My TS consultant made everything and brought it along.

I thought they all did that.....guess I'm hanging on to her!

Jean DeVries said:

Yeah, I thought they did all the work too!:rolleyes: I guess I won't be hosting a show anytime soon!

colegrovet said:

They used to, but now the are handling host orders like PC, ship everything to the host. I used to have a TS consultant that I loved because she brought the store with her! :) But the last time I did a show, she didn't and said it would be shipped to me. I had liked it for November shows because then you could grab something fast at the party to have for teacher gifts and such. Not any more with her anyway. Newer consultant's from what I hear don't do inventory either.

Jean DeVries said:

WOW, that is nice. Which means you didn't have to buy all the stuff to make everything too!

OH! and you DON'T get to pick the items to try. Atleast in the past, and how my consultant worked. In each season (6 months) there were odd and even months (so to speak). Some items were for every month, but every other month, the samples to try were the same. So in booking shows off of the host, we would try to make sure not to pick a month coming up with the very same samples we were trying at the current show. I mean, the point of going was to try some things you were unfamiliar with.

Also, what I thought was interesting, was when we were at a friend's show and someone was considering booking, we would all request a certain item to try at her upcoming show (since we were all committing to coming to that show). I can't remember some of the items, but we were told NO (unless it was part of that month's samples). So, I never really like that part of it.

babywings76 said:
They used to, but now the are handling host orders like PC, ship everything to the host. I used to have a TS consultant that I loved because she brought the store with her! :) But the last time I did a show, she didn't and said it would be shipped to me. I had liked it for November shows because then you could grab something fast at the party to have for teacher gifts and such. Not any more with her anyway. Newer consultant's from what I hear don't do inventory either.

I think they do not have to (but some still do if they want). I think that is what the consultant said at the last show I was at.

wadesgirl said:

Partylite did this to me....
I had a PL book show JUST to get the host special, which I really wanted...and by the time I paid the tax on the "free stuff", I couldn't afford to get my host special! What's up w/ that???? Oh, and I had to pay shipping on my order too, which bumped me up to where I coudn't afford anything else.:mad:

kam said:
WOW, that is nice. Which means you didn't have to buy all the stuff to make everything too!

OH! and you DON'T get to pick the items to try. Atleast in the past, and how my consultant worked. In each season (6 months) there were odd and even months (so to speak). Some items were for every month, but every other month, the samples to try were the same. So in booking shows off of the host, we would try to make sure not to pick a month coming up with the very same samples we were trying at the current show. I mean, the point of going was to try some things you were unfamiliar with.

Also, what I thought was interesting, was when we were at a friend's show and someone was considering booking, we would all request a certain item to try at her upcoming show (since we were all committing to coming to that show). I can't remember some of the items, but we were told NO (unless it was part of that month's samples). So, I never really like that part of it.

This is true, TS has a "rotation" of samples that they do every season...I have a good friend who sells it and she said that the new consultants are not supposed to do open stock inventory but she's been in for 3 yrs and still does. She said lately that her bookings have DRIED UP and she is thinking about getting out, she doesn't know how I get so many bookings...I have to bit my tongue to tell her that people aren't wanting to spend $9 for a seasoning anymore.

Stampaholic1961 said:
Years & years ago I sold Tupperware. Their commission rate was much higher but we had to pay for all hostess gifts etc. out of that commission. After paying all of that, you ended up making about 20%!! So, if someone says their commission is higher you might want to ask if they have to pay for all of that stuff! Then you are actually comparing apples to apples!

I sold Tupperware for 2 years (about 11 years ago) and I made more money in my first MONTH with TPC than in my 2 years total with Tuperware.

Having to pay for the host rewards and such really adds up, plus I had to pack the orders and deliver everything to my hosts :eek:

Hearing from you all confirms that I am glad I booked a bra party instead. IMO a bra fitting is the second most practical DS party. The most practical? Pampered Chef of course!

I love TS, but their hostess program isn't good at all. I had a catty/internet party this month and got hardly anything. I just buy it when I need it b/c I do love it. It is work to make everything, but I like to bake/cook so I don't mind.

So then Tastefully Simple is not really simple at all, is it? Hmmm the irony in that is funny yet sad.

You're not even thinking about how much the TS rep has to pay for the samples to try, too!

heat123 said:
Or I hate when other DS people say they earn 50% commission when after the host bennies and other fees they pay in the end, they only earn the same as us! :/

I agree! There is a lady in my church right now who is telling me I should switch over to Beauty Control b/c she makes 50%. I tell her all the time that I used to sell Home Interiors where I made a higher percentage too b/c we paid wholesale for the items BUT when you take into account that out of my 50% I'm purchasing the host items then no I don't have 50% take to the bank money! I'm very satisfied with my 'paycheck' I get twice a month. It's FOR REAL take to the bank money! Thnak you very much! Plus w/ these other companies that want to BRAG about much money they make - look at all hte work they have to do - packing and sorting and delivering orders. NOT ME! And not to mention NO STOCK! THIS IS WHY I"M IN LOVE W/ MY JOB! PC is the greatest company EVER!

I was supposed to have a TS party the end of the month and I've been dreading it ever since I booked it once i found out all hte stuff I have to do to prepare for it! I know I shouldn't cancel b/c I hate it when others cancel on me AND I know it's a loss of income just like it is w/ me BUT I really don't know why I booked it in the first place. THEN she calls me and tells me of all the items I'll need to have cooked and ready for her!!! PLEASE! What should I do?

Tara - tell her to shorten the menu or bring it herself.

Yes, I think I will. Thank you!

susanr613 said:
Hearing from you all confirms that I am glad I booked a bra party instead. IMO a bra fitting is the second most practical DS party. The most practical? Pampered Chef of course!

You snuck that in there.... What the Heck is a BRA PARTY!?!?:eek:

Thank you for asking Cheryl because I was thinking the same thing!!

I met someone at an event last spring who did bra parties, I cannot remember the name of the company, but basically, at the event, she brought a "changing room" (closed curtain type thing) and had racks of bras..she was bringing women over to go to the "changing area" and fitting them w/ her bras...she said she did bra parties and fittings for this particular company. She said the bra prices range from $40-$60 (basic price at V. Secret for a larger bust anyway) so I didn't think it was too bad, she said they are the best fitting bras she ever had.

chefsteph07 said:
Partylite did this to me....
I had a PL book show JUST to get the host special, which I really wanted...and by the time I paid the tax on the "free stuff", I couldn't afford to get my host special! What's up w/ that???? Oh, and I had to pay shipping on my order too, which bumped me up to where I coudn't afford anything else.:mad:

I did a Partylite show for a friend who was just starting out 3 years ago, I felt obligated:yuck:. I don't remember what my sales were, but my friend asked me to give her my full wish list, which I did. When it was all said and done I owed her like $200.00, ouch! I did get a TON of stuff, I still have candles I haven't burned. But it was presented to me in a way that this was my only option. I couldn't just take the free stuff and that was it, I had to do it all. And she never explained the shipping and/or tax stuff.
I don't know if this was my friend approach or what but I was NOT happy.

Then, THEN when I started my PC business she was no where in sight to hold a show for me. I don't keep in touch.

Crystal Patton said:
I did a Partylite show for a friend who was just starting out 3 years ago, I felt obligated:yuck:. I don't remember what my sales were, but my friend asked me to give her my full wish list, which I did. When it was all said and done I owed her like $200.00, ouch! I did get a TON of stuff, I still have candles I haven't burned. But it was presented to me in a way that this was my only option. I couldn't just take the free stuff and that was it, I had to do it all. And she never explained the shipping and/or tax stuff.
I don't know if this was my friend approach or what but I was NOT happy.

Then, THEN when I started my PC business she was no where in sight to hold a show for me. I don't keep in touch.

LOL
Let's start doing that to OUR hosts "give me your complete wish list of everything you ever wanted in the catalog" and then when the show is over, give them a "bill" for what they wanted that went over their benefits! OMG, could you imagine??

Sorry you got "taken" by your friend..hope you enjoy the candles!

chefsteph07 said:
LOL
Let's start doing that to OUR hosts "give me your complete wish list of everything you ever wanted in the catalog" and then when the show is over, give them a "bill" for what they wanted that went over their benefits! OMG, could you imagine??

Sorry you got "taken" by your friend..hope you enjoy the candles!

They have made great last minute gifts. LOL

1. What is the typical preparation required for a Pampered Chef party?

For a Pampered Chef party, the host is usually responsible for preparing a few dishes ahead of time to be sampled during the demonstration. This may include making bread, cake, dips, soup, or other dishes using Pampered Chef products. The host may also choose to provide drinks for their guests.

2. How long does the demonstration usually last?

The length of the demonstration can vary, but it typically lasts around an hour or two. However, with a lot of samples being passed around, the demonstration may go by faster.

3. What are the average sales at a Pampered Chef party?

The average sales at a Pampered Chef party can vary, but typically range from $200-$400. This can depend on the number of guests and their purchasing habits.

4. What are the benefits for hosting a Pampered Chef party?

As a host, you can earn free and discounted products based on the amount of sales at your party. In January, the benefits are even higher with a 50% increase in rewards. These rewards can be used towards purchasing more Pampered Chef products.

5. What happens if the host doesn't reach a certain amount in sales?

If the host doesn't reach a minimum amount in sales, they may not receive any host rewards. However, they can still earn a discounted item if they choose to purchase a specific product offered by Pampered Chef at a reduced price.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MrsNetNut404
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • pampchefrhondab
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Cindycooks
  • JennyJennJen