• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Your DS Party: Lessons Learned from Other Demonstrations

In summary, the demonstrator emphasized taking one bag for demos. This was a DS focus party. We learned that shorter demos are best, that products are emphasized, and that guests are involved with the products.
aried
Gold Member
I went to another DS party today that sells picture products. The demonstrator said that she was trying out a new demo. She also mentioned that they emphasize taking one bag, so must be an overall DS focus.

So her demonstration was going through catalog and talking about the products. She had a script that she talked from. She also talked for an hour. She did pass around some products near the end. I know that some people here do that type of demonstraton, but I am sure products are demonstrated.

Lessons I learned: Keep it my demo to 45 minutes. It's ok to have note cards to read from with catalog pages (I don't do that, I need to say "look on page so & so, and also cross sell other products and what page number they are on). Have an "emotional" tie to product. She was good about that. Get the guests invovled with the products!

Always good to go to other parties and learn new things or get afirmation that your demonstration is pretty good!

thank you for sharing this information.

You're absolutely right about seeing others do shows, PC or any other d.s. company. We are always able to learn and improve if we open up to the idea that we're not perfect.

I agree that shorter than 1 hour for the demo is best. I've sold a lot of the small ridged bakers saying that my husband doesn't cook, but since that came out, he is making bacon for us in the microwave 2 or 3 times a week. I always sell these at shows after that. Personally tying in the products seems to sell.

I have told this story before so... It was 1 p.m.. There I sat with about 12 other people. There were about 2 dozen candles burning every where, a multitude of sizes, shapes, colors and odors of candles and different sizes and shapes of holders. And a very happy host. The party started immediately with a push for bookings. The consultant, a relative of the host, started then to talk about her products. She passed items when she could. She kept pushing bookings. Passing and described products and pushed parties. We were 45 minutes in when I needed to get some air. I have problems with scents of any kind. I left the room for about 10 minutes. I came back, the consultant was still talking about and passing products and pushing shows. 30 minutes later, the consultant was still talking about products and pushing parties. Finally, 2 hours and 15 minutes later, she was done. I have never been so bored in all my life. I counted that we heard about trimming our wicks to 1/4", 37 times. It became a joke between the three of us seated together. When I got home I thought about my Pampered Chef shows. My demo usually lasted any where from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. This included the demo in which I talked continuously. That is when I decided I would NEVER do that again. 30 minutes to talk booking benefits and consulting and answer questions. TOPS! So I do that "speech" then I ask or they ask questions. At the 30 minute mark, if I let it go that far, I say "OK! Time to make our treats! Who wants to help in the kitchen and play with some of the tools we have?" I ALWAYS get people to help. Some to try specific products or really to completely immerse themselves in the recipes. Then here is what I do with them. When I find someone playing with something, I ask them to go tell the others what they found. So I have not done a true demo in years. I took the trim it down and combined it with the hands on shows. During the hands on part is where I hit the people with the hosting thing when they love an expensive product. I also tell them to tell the others that they may book a show to get what they are playing with free or discounted. I have been getting about 3 booking average from each show this way. I have only gotten one recruit this way but the main excuse I get for that is that you are so good, I do not want to compete with you! (Funniest thing I ever heard but I know there is more too it than that but never find a way to get around that one!) Now here is the part that counts. I have been doing this since 2003. Before HO every brought up the hands on thing. I have people tell me all the time that they love being able to visit with friends and not be bored silly. They love that anyone can try out the products IF THEY want too. My average show is $750. (It was that is until I stopped doing parties a lot to do school.) My first show this year was done that way. It was $1400. 4 bookings and two possible recruits. One is an ex-consultant who wants me to call her in April after she is done house hunting and moving. The other wants to talk after she recoups from a surgery. While is she is convalescing later in March, she wants to talk to me. So... Take from this what you will. But being bored is the last thing I want my host's friends and my paying guests to be!

What a great story. I think I remember reading it before at some point but being reminded is so important! I like your approach to "hand's on" and even though I'm not THAT hand's on, I do try to get my guests involved as much as they want to be. Some crowds are easier than others.

Your story made me think about the things I've changed over the almost two years I've been a consultant because of all I've learned from other d/s people and other pc people and from this site. #1 is that I do my best to not talk AT the guests but rather engage them with questions and stories and relatable things

Way to go with your latest results! I would consider telling those that think they couldn't do as well as you that you didn't start out that way. And, find something they said or did to help out (most likely they were one of the hands on helpers) and tell them that THEY really did the work for you! And a great job they did too! Tell them that's the secret-having everyone else do the work for you and let them think you're doing it all! Then tell them you'd be happy and thrilled if they let you help them give it a whirl. You could also have them consider a "decider show" where you ask all their friends to help get them off to a strong start by supporting them with being one of their first hosts. Then they'd see they not only have YOU but they also have the support of all their FRIENDS!

BUT please do some sort of demo/talk! I recently had a DS party for a Jewelry company, not one I had heard of before.. love their stuff BTW..

But, the consultant came in, set up a display, poured herself a glass of wine and sat down at the dining room table - where her stuff was. Over the course of the next hour my 8 guests came in and milled around.. looking over the jewlery and drinking and snacking.. (PC recipes of course ;) )

Forgot to mention that she didn't even offer to get me catalogs and order forms before the show.. I had to ask. twice.

I asked her about 20 minutes in, if she would like us to move to the living room so she could talk.. she said that people are just here to look over the products.. (?? but they don't KNOW anything about the products!) and she quickly tucked away some very pretty pieces that were for "hosts only" and never ONCE said.. "oh! you just need to host your OWN party!" she just said.. those are for hosts only and then put them AWAY.

I was stunned. shocked even. The next day I sent an apology email to my guests. seriously.

When I closed the show, she said "you didn't do very well, only $260 in sales and no one booked another party" at that point I kind of cracked. I said.. "I" did very well.. I had people here, food and drink available and a clean house. You didn't even TRY to sell them anything at all. AND I'm not the one making money off of this!
The next part CRACKED ME UP

she answered in all sincerity.. "you really sound like you'd be great at this.. you should sell JK!" *facePalm*

I should have asked for her upline.. because the jewelry is really pretty.. this chick needs a training session!

Lesson.. YOU ARE THERE TO SELL/INFORM/TEACH/SHARE/LAUGH! It's not the host obligation to have a good party, it's YOURS.

You know that is a great approach. I am usually too flummoxed by the compliment that I can't really think after that. And it is one of those "DUH!" moments. You are so right. They did do the cooking, they did tell others about the product(s) they were using. Just what it takes to be a consultant! AMEN! See, even after 11 years I learned something awesome! Not just new, but AWESOME!!! Thanks pchockeymom!

This is one of the reasons I make it a point to attend other DS shows from time to time.

Some DS companies are doing the 5-1-5 for the busy person who doesnt have time do the 515 show - invite 5 guests have them bring one friend and talk about 5 products out in 30 min with orders and all. Haven't tried it but it will allow hosts to do shows Out and about since you would not demo. Thought I might give it a try.

I went to one show for good smelly stuff where the woman only talked for about 30 minutes, but it was information overload. She squeezed a lot of stuff in that amount of time, too much, I couldn't get a question in. So now when I do my "speech" I let them know that I'm not going to go into detail about everything, but that I'm available for questions if something catches their attention.

What is a "Learn From Other Ds Party"?

A "Learn From Other Ds Party" is a unique way for Pampered Chef consultants to learn new tips, tricks, and techniques from each other. It is an interactive and educational party where consultants can share their own successful experiences with one another.

How do I host a "Learn From Other Ds Party"?

Hosting a "Learn From Other Ds Party" is simple and easy. As a consultant, you can reach out to other consultants in your area and invite them to participate. You can also collaborate with your Pampered Chef team leader to plan and organize the party. Don't forget to set a date, time, and location that works for everyone!

What can I expect from a "Learn From Other Ds Party"?

At a "Learn From Other Ds Party", you can expect to learn new recipes, cooking techniques, and presentation ideas. You will also have the opportunity to share your own tips and experiences with other consultants. It is a great way to expand your knowledge and skills as a Pampered Chef consultant.

Do I have to be a Pampered Chef consultant to attend a "Learn From Other Ds Party"?

Yes, "Learn From Other Ds Parties" are exclusive to Pampered Chef consultants only. If you are interested in becoming a consultant, you can reach out to a current consultant or sign up on the Pampered Chef website.

Is there a cost to attend a "Learn From Other Ds Party"?

No, there is no cost to attend a "Learn From Other Ds Party". It is a fun and educational event for Pampered Chef consultants to learn from each other and grow their businesses. However, some parties may involve potluck-style meals, so it is always a good idea to bring a dish to share.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• melissaboyd
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • CAPCnewbie
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lisasfuncooking
Replies