• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why does FedEx constantly cause problems with package delivery?

In summary, John put in a show on Monday, a day late and dollar short, but due to some delivery exceptions, it actually arrived tonight.
pampered1224
Silver Member
Now, get this. I put in a show on Monday, yep a day late and dollar short but...
With the way PC warehouse was moving I figured I would not have a problem. So they have the show on the 17th. They pick it on the 19th and it goes out that night. Two shows, 8 boxes as 4 boxes are direct ship.
6 boxes made it on the 21st. 1 box made it on the 22nd. The last box, was out on a truck on the 20th. Then again on the 21st and again on the 22nd but some unknown reason, NO DROP OFF. The driver noted that he tried to deliver at 6:51 p.m. on the 22nd but no one was hom eor the business was closed. IT'S A FREAKING HOUSE FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD! AND I CALLED THE RECIPIENT AT 7:01 p.m. to see if they were home. Guess who answered the phone? THEM!!! The driver NEVER really went there!!
I was on the phone IMMEDIATELY. NO explanation and now here is the other great part. The original drop off was at FedEx COMMERCIAL!! It was not until Friday that they transfered it to FedEx Home. I was on the phone Monday a.m. The FedEx Home Delievery Depot is closed on Monday's. Well, I got so upset with the entire thing that I blew. The poor guy at the commercial depot ended up admitting that there were people at the other depot and he transfered me. I squaked at them for 15 minutes. I gave them the customers phone number. They delievered that package by goodness by 11:00 a.m!!!
Now, one more question? Has anyone noticed that when they send a show in that the phone numbers do not always appear on the shipping label? Well, this package did have a phone number. It was NOT the phone number on the order I sent in!!! That's one other thing that was noted by the FedEx depot. The number they were calling from the label to contact this customer was not a valid number. That helped ALOT! So what the heck???? HO And FedEX almost screwed this up bad!!
All done now!

Don't sugar coat it, John, tell us what you really think.

Wow John....even my blood pressure is up after reading your rant!

You need to call HO and ask to speak to the person in charge of FedEx issues. I can't think of her name right now (something like Marlene, maybe? - I'm not sure - but she is the person who does a lot of the 'commercials' that we listen to when we are on hold. She is fantastic and she will listen and take action (even though you already took action, shew will want to know about your problem).

Sorry for your problems, John, I guess I have been lucky. None of my shows went in after the 15th so those problems have not occurred. Is it my understanding that they did deliver the package on Monday at 11am Dec. 24th? Yes, someone, somewhere messed up, but I KNOW that UPS wouldn't have delivered a thing on their days off.

John -

I had some delivery exceptions up here too.

I had a show (knew it was late and didn't care luckily) that should have arrived Saturday the 22nd. They put an IMMEDIATE exception in that a.m. and didn't even send a truck out that day. Monday, same thing. It arrived tonight finally.

BTW, Monday WAS a delivery day for UPS and some FedEx services.

Ground and Home Delivery for FedEx go through the same hubs.

John-
Along with contacting HO about this, I'd enter a complaint on the FedEx website and see if you can find out the owner of the FedEx route that your customer is on and/or the local supervisor (especially if the driver is the route owner). I had a similar problem when FedEx said they couldn't deliver something because no one was home... my babysitter was there all day and never mind the fact that they don't need a signature anyway. I ended up talking with the route owner (who wasn't the driver that day) and the local supervisor. After those two gentlemen had a "talk" with the actual driver, all of my packages are brought to my door and if a parked car is anywhere near my house, the driver rings the bell and WAITS to see if anyone is going to answer the door. He even asks if I want my packages brought inside... even if it is only one box!
Let me know how it turns out!

Thanks folksI guess I would not have been so upset but to watch it go out for three days on a truck saying out for delivery, I would not have minded. It was also a problem because the person expecting the item was nagging me too. So it sorta snow balled. AND no, the normal driver was not on the route for a whole week so it was a sub from December 17th until the 25th. The normal driver returned on the 26th.
Now, as for the depot thing. There are actually three divisions.
1) Home Delivery
2) Ground Delievery and
3) Commercial Delivery
Home and Ground are housed in Oak Creek while the comercial unit is in Cudahy. And get this, they are all of 10 minutes apart!
Because of two bounced checks from the show and getting that all set, it took longer to get the show off to HO. I am beginning to think that deleivery was jinxed from the get go. I still have to find out about the phone number on the package. It was a 743 number. Not the 262 area code that should have been on the box. I looked at the show info I sent and there is nothing that shows a 743 number anywhere on any order so where the heck did that come from?
All I can say is that Chris, Keith and Joe at FedEx made it all better. The complaints are definately being sent in writting to HO and FedEx though.
I am also adding another one. I live in the city of Milwaukee. I have a very large front porch that is surrounded by lattice so things can not be seen from the road. Why does my driver insist on putting the boxes right by the front door so everyone passing by can see them? DUH!!
I have already drove past my home once to see some kid that didn't belong there, walking up the stairs. I was close enough to the house to park and get to the stairs before he got the box! I even called FedEx on it. They said they would tell the driver. Apparently that does not work as he left the next delivery, get this, huge box, between the doors! My storm door was propped open by the box!! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!
I hate to say it but, maybe that is why some of these guys only drive trucks! NO BRAINS!

Last edited:
pampered1224 said:
I hate to say it but, maybe that is why some of these guys only drive trucks! NO BRAINS!

Those are fighting words. My father drove truck for over 30 years and he was a pretty smart guy...I'm not going to get into a match with you but I think you just offended a lot of people.

pampered1224 said:
They said they would tell the driver. Apparently that does not work as he left the next delivery, get this, huge box, between the doors! My storm door was propped open by the box!! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!

Wow- OUCH!

I don't agree with that last comment at all. Maybe there are circumstances you know nothing about? Maybe the driver was lazy? Maybe he just didn't care? Maybe it was a lot of things, but to say that that is why they drive trucks- because they have no brains is like when Senator John Kerry saying that only stupid inbreds join the military!

I know quite a few OTR (over the road) truckers who are very intelligent. I

As far as Fed Ex is concerned I have been told by some people that they treat their workers terribly, which doesn't really make an employee want to work. Not an excuse just an insight into why there are so many issues with Fed Ex. I had a friend that used to work on the docks for them.

My step-dad is an OTR trucker- one of the wisest people I know. He is well read, has a vast vocabulary and is very smart- he also served our country in the Navy. He's been a trucker his entire life- granted he drives 18 wheelers on up... He is very good at what he does, and at 62 can out work menhalf his age!

I agree with Diane from the above post however. I totally understand your frustration- I really do. But...

Last edited:
I never said ALL.You read too much into it. I never said ALL. I said some. And I have met plenty of UPS, FedEx and DHL drivers who are very intellent people. I also know quite a few who are as dumb as a box of rocks. My neighbor has met our delievery guy. She even said he was a real dummy after she explained about 10 times that he should put the boxes on her porch and not at the bottom of the stairs in the elements and in the open that he still does it. It is only two stairs so it can't be all lazy.
And yeah, I guess it would depend on how much respect you get from your employer. And yep, you would take it out on your customers. Maybe it is FedEx in general that needs to wise up.
But when you face to face ask someone to place packages some where else and ignor that, well, that to me just seems that the person just does not get it. And to me that translates to dumb.
HOWEVER, unless I want to eat my words below - I need to take it all back. It is true. I am stuck with my driver and I do need him no matter what. So I will calm down. Take deep breathes and maybe corner him sometime to see what's up. Maybe I can find out how to make it work.

Last edited:
Give the guy a break. John is venting and is frustrated with drivers that no matter what their work conditions are should be able to at least do the minimum for their customers. Putting boxes where they can't be seen from the road when it's just a matter of inches is not a big deal. Maybe if we were happier with FedEx and didn't need to complain so much they would treat the drivers better. It's a circle.

John spoke harshly and in anger but he was just venting. I have 2 brothers in law who drive (for UPS) and they are both very intelligent men. I took no offense at what John said. The man who usually delivers to me likely flunked out of the same school that John's drivers did. Now the woman who subs is great! And conversations with her are great and she cares about what she does.

They aren't all bad. Even the bad ones should at least be doing better this time of year - after all they expect us to tip them.

Thank you BethOne thing here too folks. I WOULD NEVER VENT TO THE DRIVERS. Not because I am afriad of them and not because I would fear them damaging my packages. I would never vent to them because of something I learned along time ago. "I have bad days and so does everyone else!"
Why should I punish them when there may be a perfectly good reason for what they do. But at the same time I had to get it off my chest. I have the same issue at work. If someone calls me for help and is crabby and irritated and getting "*#&*^Y) with me, I simply do what I need to do to help them. I will not antogonize them further into "meaness". When I am done and AFTER they have hung up. I let loose. I get my "meaness" toward them out. After all I don't deserve an ulcer either! Beth is correct though. Common sense does have a habit of being kicked out the window. They may be under pressures of a schedule or have a crappy boss but getting complaints from customers will only make that worse. So now I am done. I feel better and will never bad mouth anyone to their face unless I know FOR SURE why they are that way. But do not deny me the right to vent!

John, I understand your frustration and by no meant put down your vent. Combining the irrate customer and the lack of putting 2 and 2 together at the depot...I would have felt the same way.

And no, these drivers are not dumber than a box of rocks. I am sure there are some, however, you will find that they average no more or less than any other business. I have a friend that is a UPS driver and these people go through a lot. Just like any of us do at our other jobs. There is no job out there where you can be dumb, get paid a lot of money and do nothing. Except politicians!!! Just kidding...again, their percentages are about the same as the rest of our jobs!!!

Venting RespectI think it's just fine that John vents -we all need to do that; however, we do still need to be careful on what we say and how we say it.

I do understand your frustration, John - I had to do an adjustment on Dec. 17th for a customer who decided to exchange 7 tongs she ordered as gifts for 7BBQ basting bottles - I live outside Milwaukee so I thought it wouldn't be a problem (HO said they were going to ship out the bottles within 24 hours); when it showed the order was out for delivery on the 20th, I was happy, but then next thing it showed that it was in Fort Worth, TX:eek: ! They didn't arrive until yesterday, and both the customer and I were disappointed; HOWEVER, she did not meet the deadline, and knew that it was a possibility she wouldn't receive them in time. That is also your case - you (or customers due to bounced checks) missed the deadline. I'm sure HO and FedEx (from other companies, too, not just PC) received hundreds of orders that "just missed the deadline" and were doing the best to service their customers.

As for the other issues you've had, I say talk to the driver(s) again - I do NOT have the same drivers each time, and it may very well be that there is no line of communication. I don't know how FedEx works, but if I'm not mistaken someone said they hire independent contractors, and I'm sure there were a lot more hirees the past month or so. I'm not trying to offer up excuses for them, I'd gladly take back UPS, but I am trying to keep in mind that I don't know their circumstances.

Again, it's completely fine to vent - with that I have no issue - but I'm just not fond of labeling or putting down people. There are too many people from all walks of life doing the best that they can to put food on the table.

baychef said:
John, I understand your frustration and by no meant put down your vent. Combining the irrate customer and the lack of putting 2 and 2 together at the depot...I would have felt the same way.

And no, these drivers are not dumber than a box of rocks. I am sure there are some, however, you will find that they average no more or less than any other business. I have a friend that is a UPS driver and these people go through a lot. Just like any of us do at our other jobs. There is no job out there where you can be dumb, get paid a lot of money and do nothing. Except politicians!!! Just kidding...again, their percentages are about the same as the rest of our jobs!!!
Gone to DMV to get your license renewed lately?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Gone to DMV to get your license renewed lately?

OK, now I almost had to take offense to that. Guess what my initials are? :D LOL.

Well, okay then...Have you gone to DOT to get your license renewed lately?:p

Here in MI, it's the SoS (Secretary of State). :)<Patty>Some days we don't let the line move at all. We call those weekdays.</Patty>

YepFunny thing, I have never had a majorly horrible time at the DOT or DMV or whatever you want to call it.
Diane, your right about contract drivers. I asked about that when I saw the guy here at work yesterday. He is commercial and does have an assigned route but the Home Delievery is different. They hire out. So the same driver is rarely in the same place for any length of time. It is just that it seems that I keep having problems with FedEx where as I never, and that is the truth, never had problems with UPS. So with those two as the the only compares, give me back UPS. My neighbor and I spoke of this yesterday. This is the same lady who found one of her son's Christmas presents buried under that snow storm about a week ago. She found it two days later when her husband shoveled the walk way to a wider girth after the snow ended. It was ruined becasue it was left at the bottom of the stairs to the right of the sidewalk. They never noticed it because the snow had drifted into that part of the yard. It was delievered by FedEx. So what am I supposed to think?
Bad day, in a hurry, can't climb 2 steps. See why I have a bit a of an issue with brains thing.

Mill Road has always been a good place to go. Waukesha used to be pretty good but I haven't been there in years.I used to have a lot of trouble with deliveries because we never use the front door. I finally put a sign to that effect on the front storm door and things have gotten better.In fact, we have a good working relationship with the UPS guy, he still delivers that pink stuff for The Kat Lady and the occasional Internet vendor order. I suspect I have two or three different route drivers for FedUp because packages are never in the same place twice.

I'm very fortunate that our Fed-Ex and UPS and DHL drivers bring the stuff to our front door. It's there for the world to see, and there isn't anything I can do about it. It's the way our house/yard is laid out.

And, John- I wasn't implying that you could not vent, nor did I misunderstand and think you meant ALL (as you put it). I just wanted you to know that there are alwasy circumstances or reasons we know nothing about. And even though there are people out there that are clearly a "Couple of fries short of a Happy-Meal" it doesn't mean that is why they are Fed-Ex drivers. :)

Point in case... I bought a new car in Oct of 2006. It was in the shop about once every 2-3 months. Starting in September of 2007 and going to the middle of November it was in the shop for almost 8 weeks- I'd get it back and within 1-2 days it would be back at the dealer for a week... I even told them how to duplicate each of the 5 problems the car was having. They would tell me they couldn't find the problem, or duplicate it, but they'd fix something on a hunch.

They rebuilt the top half of the engine, replaced the gas tank, the air bags, the keyless entry sensors, the back hatch, a miriad of things were done without success to fix any of the problems. FInally one day I got stranded on the road. Each time I brought it in to the dealer, they were amazed at how nice I was considering everything I was going through. After months of issues with this car, that dealership helped me (and they are not supposed to help customers with this) contact Pontiac/GMC and GM bought my car back! They bought it back! The dealership even gave me an interest rate and rebates that they weren't supposed to apply to a buy-back situation, and I went from a $30K car to a $40K car, lowered my payments (because of the interest rate and cash back) and they've got a customer for life! That dealership did all that for me because I was calm, understanding, patient and nice every time I went in. They knew I was frustrated, they could see it in my eyes. It was hard to drive a loaner, pay for a car that I rarely drove myself, and at times within 10 minutes of picking the car up from repairs, it would do the same thing I had just brought it in for. The dealership went to bat for me with GM and told them it would be in GM's best interest to put me in a new car. They explained all the issues with my 2006, and mentioned that our last 8 cars were GM cars/trucks/SUV's.

So on 12-03-07 I signed for my new car and dropped off the lemon at the dealership. The dealership told me stories of people with lesser issues and terrible tempers that got nothing from them, or GM- I walked away with a newer, more expensive and much nicer car out of the deal, and I now have a shop full of mechanics that would do anything for me! :) I'm sure the huge tray of brownies I dropped off as thanks had something to do with it.

My whole point is if I would have started assuming all those mechanics were idiots because they could not duplicate ONE of the 5 major issues that I was having with the 2006 SUV, I would have gotten no where. I'm not saying that there aren't village idiots out there. I know there are.. I guess my thing was that even though you were very upset, and understandably so- I just didn't want you to trash other people the way you did.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope very much that you are able to get your Fed-Ex issues cleared up. Is there a way that you can have the HO put on the label where to drop off the packages so Fed Ex knows where to put them? Anyway, good luck with your drivers. I hope things work out better for you in the new year!!!

That is good!!You're right. Never give up and never assume. I love the line about being one fry short of a Happy Meal though!

I guess I will have to just start leaving notes on the door when I think something is coming. With a note of course to take the note too!

I sent a much toned down version of what has been happening with FedEx to HO along witht he tracking printout to show the problem with Saturday's night delievery. It also clearly shows three days of going out but never getting there. So I am taking a deep breath and am letting it go. Time for HO to do their thing.

So thank you for letting me vent and thanks too for making me see things differently.

bumping

I had to post this after finally finding it again. Thanks KG for putting it your post about CS. Now, here's the deal. FedEx and PC have talked about these issues we are having with FedEx. They are working on a new text technology that will allow us to put in simple but more specific delivery instructions for the drivers. When the bar code on the package is read, it will bring up the new text instructions. Things like, leave a back door. Or place on porch behind the lattice. Now, because of my complaints to HO, I was put in the test group. So we will see how it works. They put it on line today. Now, do not go running to HO as it is still in test mode. Let them take the time they need to get the bugs out or things could get worse for everyone with FedEx.

I am part of this test pilot also. Are there a lot of us?

I'm glad they are starting a test group for this! I've had so many things ruined because my FedEx driver left my packages on the front step directly under the rain gutter, only to come home to find soaking wet packages that are a soggy mess. I finally got my replacement sheet pans from home office and the rain soaked box they were sitting in rusted them! I ran them through the dish washer to try and fix it, but still has rust spots, SO dissapointing!

I had to have a talk with my new fedex driver she put a BBQ grill basket on the side of my house with a note on my garage saying the box was on the side of my house. Big problem was when I use my garage (which is always) I open from the inside and am not in my drive way when I open it to get in the house. I did get ir resolved though.

would be nice if fed-ex would find my TPC ring before conference. it has been missing since end of May. they say they can't track or trace it

crissy11 said:
would be nice if fed-ex would find my TPC ring before conference. it has been missing since end of May. they say they can't track or trace it

I was thinking about your ring the other day. Are you going to be able to get it replaced if it is not found?

Well, HO called and had went round and round with Fed-ex and they will not refund their money even though it had insurance for $500. I thought that is what we bought insurance for!!!! Fed is saying that the tracking number was never activated and wondered if I had returned it or not.
PC is believing me.. Thank goodness!! Like they said... I have been with the company over 9 years and have returned my ring several times in the past with no problems so why would I not return it and say I did.
I was on speaker phone the other day and they are going to replace my ring with the new one and I will get it at conference. They also said that this would be the only time they would do that. they said we must follow the directions on returning the ring. I asked what those instructions were besides just getting to Fed-ex??? they said we were to call for a pick up or take it to a Fed-Ex drop off point and get a pick up number..
Do any of you remember the instructions saying that???
I asked them that they may want to in the future to have us sign for our pick ups and also have it encrypted somehow that the contents of the envelope does not say a $500 value. I have alot of sub drivers for Fed-ex and they may not all be honest... not to mention they are independent contractors so it is their word against mine.
I am still furious about it and cannot wait for my driver to show his face. But all I ever see is his butt running down the drive into his truck.

crissy11 said:
Well, HO called and had went round and round with Fed-ex and they will not refund their money even though it had insurance for $500. I thought that is what we bought insurance for!!!! Fed is saying that the tracking number was never activated and wondered if I had returned it or not.
PC is believing me.. Thank goodness!! Like they said... I have been with the company over 9 years and have returned my ring several times in the past with no problems so why would I not return it and say I did.
I was on speaker phone the other day and they are going to replace my ring with the new one and I will get it at conference. They also said that this would be the only time they would do that. they said we must follow the directions on returning the ring. I asked what those instructions were besides just getting to Fed-ex??? they said we were to call for a pick up or take it to a Fed-Ex drop off point and get a pick up number..
Do any of you remember the instructions saying that???
I asked them that they may want to in the future to have us sign for our pick ups and also have it encrypted somehow that the contents of the envelope does not say a $500 value. I have alot of sub drivers for Fed-ex and they may not all be honest... not to mention they are independent contractors so it is their word against mine.
I am still furious about it and cannot wait for my driver to show his face. But all I ever see is his butt running down the drive into his truck.

OMG, that is too funny. I'm totally not saying that this situation is funny b/c I would be furious as well. But, what I have bolded is too funny b/c I get that every time I receive a package.

My show was delivered yesterday by a sub-driver. Instead of putting the packages on the steps, he set the box on top of a tote box (plastic storage thing) that was covered in rain water from the night before. The tote box wasn't even strong enough to hold the box. Mind you, my son was at the door while this was happening & the driver didn't even knock.

I'm so sorry that they still didn't find the ring, but I'm glad you'll have yours by conference!

I HATE FED_EX TOO! I won't go into the whole story (of this time's issue) b/c my blood pressure will go sky high...but basically it boiled down to he was talking on his cell phone, missed the turn-off for my road, so went on back to the station 60 miles away! AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHIf they would make an announcement at NC that they're going back to BROWN I would be dancing in the aisles!!!!!!!!

straitfan said:
I HATE FED_EX TOO! I won't go into the whole story (of this time's issue) b/c my blood pressure will go sky high...but basically it boiled down to he was talking on his cell phone, missed the turn-off for my road, so went on back to the station 60 miles away! AUGHHHHHHHHHHHH

If they would make an announcement at NC that they're going back to BROWN I would be dancing in the aisles!!!!!!!!
You and me, both!!! :)

So far I have not had any problems really with FedEx. My delivery guy is awesome. Usually he waits til I answer the door to say hello or if I have alot of boxes, he will carry them inside for me.

You live on a TOTALLY different FED EX planet than I do!!! Mine doesn't even come all the up our 3 steps to our porch, let alone ring the bell!

Just my 2 cents. Last I knew, the labels were printed at Home Office Wharehouse. So, you really can't blaim the Fed Ex employees if it had the wrong label with info. Actually Fed Employees are rated in the top 10 of employee satisfaction. Anyhow, I could state more about Fed Ex, but you have to realize that there are different reasons for different things. Sometimes all of one customers shipment doesn't get loaded on the same truck either. I would say, find out the source of what happened first.

1. Why does FedEx constantly cause problems with package delivery?

There could be a number of reasons why FedEx may experience issues with package delivery. Some common reasons include weather conditions, high volume of shipments, incorrect addresses, and human error. It's important to keep in mind that while FedEx strives to provide reliable and timely delivery services, there may be unforeseen circumstances that can cause delays or problems with delivery.

2. Why was the package delayed despite being picked up and shipped out on time?

Unfortunately, even when a package is picked up and shipped out on time, there can still be delays during the transit process. As mentioned before, there are various factors that can affect the delivery of a package. It's also possible that there may have been an error or issue within the FedEx system that caused the delay.

3. Why was the package not delivered on the first attempt?

There could be multiple reasons why a package is not delivered on the first attempt. Some possible reasons include the recipient not being home or the business being closed at the time of delivery, incorrect address or contact information, or a delay or issue with the delivery truck. It's important to ensure that all information provided for the package is accurate to avoid any potential delivery issues.

4. How can I ensure that my phone number appears on the shipping label?

When submitting a package for delivery, it's important to double check all information provided, including the phone number. If the phone number is not appearing on the shipping label, it's possible that there was an error when inputting the information. It's always a good idea to confirm all details before submitting the package to ensure that all information is accurate.

5. How can I address issues with FedEx delivery?

If you experience any issues or delays with a FedEx delivery, the best course of action is to contact FedEx directly. They have a customer service team available to assist with any concerns or questions regarding package delivery. It's also important to provide accurate and detailed information, such as tracking numbers and contact information, to help resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyRedHead
  • tbsigma94
  • General Chat
Replies