• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

When Do You Pass Out Catalogs at Shows?

In summary, the author suggests that it is best to pass out catalogs at the beginning of the show and to refer to it a lot during the show. She also suggests that if people are busy looking at the catalog then they will not be able to participate in the demo. The author encourages people to use flags and to have extras of the catalog available so that people can refer to it while they are during the demo.
ms_twana
I was just looking at one of the online trainings that mentioned passing out catalogs after the demo and during wrap up. It seems as if it would take even longer for me to leave if I did that. I think guest would spent too much time looking while I'd be sitting there waiting for people to come check out.

Right now, I pass them out in the beginning. They can browse through them while I demo. Sometimes I need them to, because I may mention a product and have them turn to it in the catalog. That way, when I'm done, they should know what they want.

When do you pass out catalogs?

I give them out at the end of my demo. The reason I like the hands on approach and if they are busy looking at catalogs then they cant participate in the demo. The time they spend after looking at the catalog gets people in a shopping mood and people can discuss what they are buying and generally will get people to buy more products becuase they say what they are buying or what they allready have. They say that if you are holding a product for more than 30 seconds you are more than 80% more likely to buy than if you never touched it. So I try to get every guest to hold products for longer than 30 seconds becuase if they just pass it around they wont get the full effect. So after the demo is best to me. But every person has their own style.

I hand out catalogs and order forms at the beginning of my show. I refer to the catalog a lot in my show. I also tell them to write down all the items they are interested in (but not necessarily ordering) on their order forms and let them know they can cross out the ones they are not purchasing tonight but running a line through it. That way, they know what they are interested in later, so do I! I can call when items are on sale, or...if there is a lot on their list to host a show later if they did not book that night...or to see if possibly they want so much they may want to sign up and be a consultant.

ChefCKHall said:
I hand out catalogs and order forms at the beginning of my show. I refer to the catalog a lot in my show. I also tell them to write down all the items they are interested in (but not necessarily ordering) on their order forms and let them know they can cross out the ones they are not purchasing tonight but running a line through it. That way, they know what they are interested in later, so do I! I can call when items are on sale, or...if there is a lot on their list to host a show later if they did not book that night...or to see if possibly they want so much they may want to sign up and be a consultant.

Yup. I pretty much do the same.

I put a catalog , order form, recipe card, wishlist flags & a pen at every chair when I first walk in.
I encourage them to use the flags and keep a pad of extras out if they need more

I use lap boards and pass them out at the beginning - contains catalog, order form, biz card, current recruiting special. I also put a large post-it on the front of each catalog and tell them that is for their wish list so that they won't forget everything they like! Tell them that if they fill it up they either need to host their own party or they will have a VERY happy host tonight!

I hand them out at the beginning, along with an order form and "love it, need it, want it, gotta have it" flags to mark what they want in the catalog. (I got them on a great clearance at Merrill a while back - I think I bought a lifetime supply! :))

I've been to shows where the catalogs weren't passed out until the end. When that has happened, I feel like the consultant is trying to hold me hostage. Drives me absolutely nuts. Sometimes, when someone is talking about something, I want to READ about it too - see if there is any other info on it, or just because I learn better when I can actually see it in print. When they wait until the end, I've forgotten all about some of the things that interested me early on, and I don't have time to really look through the catalog the way I want - so my order won't be as well thought out - or probably as big.

My feeling is that the guests are adults, and I'm not their mother, or their boss, or the PC police. As adults, they can do more than one thing at a time, and they can also decide for themselves what they want to do at a party. If they want to browse through the catalog and make a list of what they want to purchase while the demo is going on, then that's just fine with me. Personally, I do better if I am doing more than one thing at a time. I'm perfectly capable of looking through a catalog, and participating in conversation and listening to a demo all at the same time, and I choose to give my guests the same respect to do that.

:eek: Sorry - this touched a nerve with me. :eek:

ChefBeckyD said:
I've been to shows where the catalogs weren't passed out until the end. When that has happened, I feel like the consultant is trying to hold me hostage. Drives me absolutely nuts. =

I totally agree! At our B2B meeting, we had a top seller do a demo. She said that she hands out her catalogs at the end of the demo. I was thinking on one hand it makes sense but on the other it could be more detrimental to my sales.

I think I may try it and see how it goes at my show tonight... but looking outside at the snow there may not be a show. Which means Turtle Skillet Cake and Champagne for me and the hubby!

vanscootin said:
I totally agree! At our B2B meeting, we had a top seller do a demo. She said that she hands out her catalogs at the end of the demo. I was thinking on one hand it makes sense but on the other it could be more detrimental to my sales.

I think it depends on the type of show you do. If you are demoing everything, then I would agree. However, my shows have everyone around the table working together. Everything is done quickly, we play the ticket game and then we announce we're going to do what women love best- "eat and shop!"
It's a blast! I am repeatedly told that this was the best party they had ever been to! In two years, bookings have never been a problem.
I hand mine out after they have gotten their food, the host gets them for them if they have to leave early. Never had a complaint.

loreo said:
I think it depends on the type of show you do. If you are demoing everything, then I would agree. However, my shows have everyone around the table working together. Everything is done quickly, we play the ticket game and then we announce we're going to do what women love best- "eat and shop!"
It's a blast! I am repeatedly told that this was the best party they had ever been to! In two years, bookings have never been a problem.
I hand mine out after they have gotten their food, the host gets them for them if they have to leave early. Never had a complaint.

I totally agree with your statement. When you're doing a hands-on show it makes sense that they won't get catalogs til the end because they are engaged in the demo process. If you don't do hands-on shows, then I would have to agree with Becky.

I hand out packets at the beginning with catalog, order form, and "Wish List" sheet. As I am explaining the products I referrence the pages for them to turn to. That way I feel that although they are browsing, it is controlled browsing. Then when I get to the demo, I ask them to put their packets down so they can come see the demo and the products in action.

I do the fully interactive shows. I set out the clipboards before they arrive. If the host holds us up for late guests, they can start browsing. Or when their recipe goes into the oven/microwave and they have a few minutes, they can browse to pass the time. Many will opt to be nosey and see what the other team(s) is (are) doing!

You all are making some very good points. Keep em coming!!

I pass them out at the beginning. The more they look the more they buy. I do an interactive demo as well, but I feel that if I wait then they do not have as long with the catalog. The show is really not about me and my demo, I am not the star, the catalog is and I want them to look through it as much as possible.

cookingwithlove said:
I pass them out at the beginning. The more they look the more they buy. I do an interactive demo as well, but I feel that if I wait then they do not have as long with the catalog. The show is really not about me and my demo, I am not the star, the catalog is and I want them to look through it as much as possible.

Very good points.

I dont know about having them look though the catalog the whole time. I am just saying the the shows where people all particpate will have high sales because the guest held the products and used them not just passed around.

ChefShalon said:
I am just saying the the shows where people all particpate will have high sales because the guest held the products and used them not just passed around.

So true getting them to try the products is a great way to sell them. I encourage that everyone get the products in the guest's hands. However, I have met consultants that get offended that people would rather look through the catalog than pay attention to the demonstration. I could never bring a good representation of everything that is in the catalog. So I use the catalog to talk about products and I use my demo to have people try products. I think the best shows incorporate people looking through the catalog and using the products.

cookingwithlove said:
I think the best shows incorporate people looking through the catalog and using the products.

Well said!!

I do interactive shows, so I pre select guest as they arrive including the hostess to demo the products for the recipe that I am making, and then while it's being cooked in the oven,microwave,etc we are around the table guest touching and feeling the products. I found that when I do that my sales have doubled by letting them play with the products! Then i have all the catalogs on my lapboards, with the wish list, order form, guest specials, and current month and next month's hostess specials. If your not doing an interactive show then I also agree with Becky.

So for those of you that let the guest play with products (or get that 30 sec touch in), are they doing that with products that you are using, or are you bringing in other items for that?

usally I get them to do the steps in the recipe. Now sometimes if the recipe doesnt use products that i think are great and need to be shown I go ahead and bring them along.

I have my catalogs where they can get one when they want. I HATE other shows where they are not available until the person decides it's time.

Plus, with a lot of my evening shows, some have just stopped by to make an order for the host, and hoarding the catalog would not be cool. When the demo is over they are the first ones ready for their tota,l and want to get out the door.

My shows are a mix of interactive or just me doing it. Depends on the crowd. Some of them want to sit. Some want to get involved. Either way, I get the products in their hands.

ms_twana said:
So for those of you that let the guest play with products (or get that 30 sec touch in), are they doing that with products that you are using, or are you bringing in other items for that?

It's the products that I am using for the recipe but I generally bring just my kit to my show unless something is on hostess special or guest special.

1. When is the best time to pass out catalogs at a show?

The best time to pass out catalogs at a show is during the booking portion of the presentation. This is when guests are most excited about the products and are more likely to want to learn more about them.

2. Should I pass out catalogs before or after the show?

It is recommended to pass out catalogs after the show. This allows guests to focus on the presentation without distractions and also gives them something to take home and refer to later.

3. How many catalogs should I pass out at a show?

The general rule of thumb is to pass out one catalog for every two guests in attendance. This ensures that each guest has a catalog to take home and share with their friends and family.

4. Can I pass out catalogs during the show?

While it may be tempting to pass out catalogs during the show, it is not recommended. This can be distracting for both the guests and the consultant, and may take away from the overall experience of the presentation.

5. How do I effectively pass out catalogs at a show?

When passing out catalogs at a show, it is important to do so in a way that does not disrupt the flow of the presentation. A good tip is to ask guests if they would like a catalog during a natural pause in the presentation, such as when transitioning between products or sections.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefKevin
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefKevin
  • chelynn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
raebates
  • melissasutkus