• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Give Catalogs at Beginning of Shows or After Presentation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of when to give out catalogs at a party. Some suggest handing them out at the beginning, while others leave them out for guests to take at their own convenience. The key is to focus on the value and multiple uses of the products and let guests make their own decisions. Some also suggest making lapboards with product information for easy reference during the presentation. Ultimately, the key is to find what works best for each individual consultant and party.
ashwee310
I had a show for my kick-off w/ family members. My aunt suggested not giving any one a catalog until after the show because if someone really likes the item but sees the price, this may turn them off from the item. Where as if they don't have a catalog but fall in love with the product, then when the presentation is over and they see the price in the catalog they will still order it because they fell in love with the product. Also if people have a catalog at the beginning they will look through it instead of paying attention to the show. Therefore I created a handout with all the products I used at the show. There is a picture of each product, the name of the product, the page number the product is on, two key points about the product, and if it is available in more than one size. I figure this way they can write down notes about each product and won't know the price until they see the catalog. Because in all honestly PC products can be quite expensive, but they last for years and years and are completely worth it. Please let me know yours thoughts and suggestions about this idea. Thanks!

PC is not expensive. Some things are the same or less then found in comparable stores. Of course the Walmart or dollar store versions are less but they are junk. If you think they are expensive so will your guests. I was a host for 19 years before I started my PC business and I never bought a batter bowl because I wanted all the cool things first and I could buy that bowl for a little less in the store anyway. Well those bowls I bought in the store had to be replaced many times because they chipped. I still have the bowl I got in my kit 11 years ago. No chips. Which was more expensive?Give your guests multiple uses and reasons to use our products. The DCB is $85 which I would consider expensive at first glance. I tell people lots of uses for it and that it pays for itself in a short time because in less time than it takes to drive over and wait in the drive through they can cook a healthy meal and it costs less too. I have sold many of them at full price and once they have it they sell it to each other.That can be said for most of our products. Believe in them and their value. There will always be people who will complain about the price. Here's another quick story: I can not tell you how many people have told me that they came to the party to get the food chopper because they bought a cheap version and its junk.

In answer to your question about when to give out catalogs. I used to hand them out at the beginning. Now I leave them out and let them decide when to take them. Some people may need to leave early, some like to flip through to see what's new since the last party they went to or to see what we are about if they haven't been to a party. Most people wait until after the demo and then grab theirs. I don't think it matters when they get it. All people are different and those that aren't going to pay attention aren't going to whether they have a catalog or not. If they are concerned about the price they are just as likely to ask during the demo as look in the catalog. Don't decide for them what is too expensive. They will surprise you.

Very interesting topic. I have always handed them out at the beginning. I cross sell some products I don't have with me. This way they can go to the page number and see it while I'm talking about it.

Thank you everyone for the tips. I think I will create the lapboards, using the binders cutting off the spines, then place the specials in the front see through part, then a catalog and order form on the pocket part. I'm a crafty person, so making stuff will save me money and be enjoyable :eek:) Also I will have a cheat sheet for just me so I know what page products are on and can direct them to that page when i'm talking about the product.

Try it one way for awhile and if you feel it isn't working switch for a bit. One of the great things about this business is doing things the way you want.
Different ways work for different people. you'll be able to gauge success.

Just started my 14th year with PC and I have tried it all different ways. Currently, I have the catalogs out waiting for them at each seat before the guests arrrive or hand them to them as soon as they sit down. My sales have been very strong and we do not live in an affluent area.

One thing I have done is gone onto Consultant's Corner and go to "downloads" There is Spring/Summer 2013 Product Lists. There are three versions: one sorted by page, alphbetical and by price. Just for my information I printed off the "by price". Then I took 4 highlighters. I highlighted the products that are $20 and under. Then between $21 and $30; $30 and $50; and $50 and over. I just highlighted the price. You will be surprised and it will give you more confidence in our price structure.

If someone brings up the price, I will share with them that our products are more expensive but they also last longer and come with a guarantee. If you had a rubber spatula for over a year and it broke, Walmart would not exchange it for a brand new one. We will.

Also, I have never seen a customer fall so in love with a product that they still bought it no matter the price. At EVERY show (no matter how many times I have had one with a host...and I have hosts that have had parties for at least once or twice a year for years) I always go around the room and have people tell me their first name and their favorite PC product. Many will say, it is hard to pick one. Have the guest sell the products for you. If someone says...well I can tell you the one I don't like the most...let them speak, but at the end say, "Well, Sally, this is a good time to share with everyone that ALL of our products come with a one year guarantee. If you don't like a product, contact your consultant or call the PC and they can get your money back minus the shipping and tax. Many of our products have guarantees beyond one year and then you can get a brand new replacement! But I will tell you, if you get one of our spices or delicious sauces and try to return an empty jar, they won't sent you a replacement!" This will get a little laugh.

Having the crowd sell the product is the best. Because you are the consultant, you take the role of "snake oil salesman". When their friends rave and you add a new tip to use that product (some people only cook pizzas on their stones...I add that they can cook anything on them...microwave or oven) then people then consider purchasing that product. I have seen this over and over.

My $2000 party that will be closing soon...she baked brownies in her brownie pan and had them there for guest...I can't tell you how many we sold! Have your host "sell" products too!

Hope this helps!

Congrats on your awesome party!!!

I give it to them right away! That catalog is HUGE! It can take them a while to look through the whole thing. Between chatting with everyone, stopping to watch & listen to me do the recipe, eating, etc, they need all the time they can to look through it. And some people know what they want right away and are excited to see everything. I also think it's nice for people to have it to refer to as I'm doing the demo. What I talk about, they find the page and while they are there, they can see all the other items in that section. Plus, I have so many instances when people don't buy anything I demo'd. lol They buy what they need/have on their wishlist and sometimes that's things I didn't focus on that night. :D And some people need to leave early, so I don't want to slow things down.

When I am a guest at another DS show I HATE not getting the catalogs at the beginning. So, I always hand out the cattys at the beginning. There is so much info in the catalogs that I feel the guests should have as much time as possible.Plus, they always see something in the catty (that I am not showing) and ask about it. It gives me opportunity to talk about additional products.

I prefer handing them out at the beginning. I incorporate info from the catalogue in my show (bring less, sell more idea), and have the guests research the answers to my questions (talk about stoneware and then ask them something like what page the DCP on, or what item could you cook six grilled cheese sandwiches on...). The first to respond correctly to each question gets a ticket for my "prize" draw.

I really like the idea of the game on searching thru the catalog....I will have to try that. I started handing out catalogs in the beginning. Then switched to the end...If it is a small group, I wait to the end. I am fairly savvy on the products for pricing, not what page it is on. And I generally get the objection that our prices are too expensive. The best way that I explain this is: Yes, the deep covered baker is $85. If you used this once a month (10 month scale easy to calculate), it would be $8.50 per use. Twice a month $4.25, once a week for a year under $2 per use. If I could show you how to use the baker and give you over 60 recipes to use in it would that be beneficial to you and your family? I let anyone know that if the get the DCB or the round baker, I will email them recipes for it. (this way I get their email on my newsletter too). I let them know that the round baker uses half of the ingredients as the DCB. I do sell alot of these at full price at my shows and I get alot of hosts wanting a show to get it half off.Good luck in your new adventure!!! Stay positive and believe in yourself first and then believe in Pampered Chef and the product.

I hand the catalogs out at the beginning of the show also. I usually give them to one person and have them pass them around. As they're doing that, I explain that they can participate in a game if they want. As I'm doing the demo, they can pick a prize if they find the page the product is on first - but they can only win one prize. The prizes are orange peelers, older Season's Best, pan scrapers (the smaller items we can get on the supply order) - and I put them in either the Large Bamboo Salad Bowl or one of the Stainless Bowls. As they pass the bowls around, everyone gets to feel the smoothness of the bamboo and the weight of the stainless. I start the demo by doing the recipe; if it's something like a trifle, I do most of it before guests arrive, then assemble it in front of them. After the first layer is done, that's when I have everyone introduce themselves and share their favorite product. And it's true how many guests buy a product due to their friends loving it so much. I try to give/remind people of the uses for the product - most people forget (if they ever knew it!), that you can bake in the batter bowls - and in the prep bowls too. It's fun to hear what guests favorite products are and how much they like them. I change the order of my shows depending on the recipe, but find guests like finding the product first and calling out the page #! Good luck - and have fun at your shows!

1. Can I hand out catalogs at the beginning of the show?

Yes, you can absolutely hand out catalogs at the beginning of the show. It's a great way to give your guests a preview of the products and get them excited for the presentation.

2. Is it better to give out catalogs before or after the presentation?

It's ultimately up to you, but we recommend giving out catalogs after the presentation. This allows your guests to see the products in action and understand their features and benefits before making a purchase.

3. How many catalogs should I give to each guest?

We recommend giving one catalog to each guest, but you can also have extras on hand in case they want to take one home for a friend or family member.

4. Can I include my contact information in the catalogs?

Yes, you can include your contact information in the catalogs. This is a great way for guests to reach out to you if they have any questions or want to place an order.

5. Do I need to collect the catalogs back at the end of the show?

No, you do not need to collect the catalogs back at the end of the show. Guests are welcome to keep the catalogs for future reference or to share with others.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• brendaziz
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
brendaziz
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • whoismelissa
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies