• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Giving Catalogs During the Party...

In summary, some people feel that giving out the catalogs before the show decreases the show average, while others feel that it is a way for guests to get to know the products better and make better decisions. It seems that both methods have their pros and cons.
smallfarmmom
Do you hand out the catalogs before the show so guests can look throught them? My director said she does not b/c then guests are looking through the catalogs and not watching the demo. She has seen a decrease in her show average when guests have the catalog during the show. I know if I have a catalog in hand I will flip through it...

What do you think? and when do/would you hand them out?

I've heard arguments both ways.

I pass mine out at the beginning, because when I go to a home party, I get nervous when the consultant doesn't pass them out at the beginning. What are they trying to hide? I want to be open with my customers. Also, sometimes people have to leave early, and then they've had a chance to flip through the whole book before they leave.

I have had groups where I've regretted passing the books out, because I spend half my demo time looking things up for them that I'm not demoing. :rolleyes:

I know consultants who do it both ways... I hand them out at the beginning but at NC we were having a discussion about this and I heard a good idea to just ask them to look and chat until you begin your demo, then to close their catalog JUST for the demo and then resume again after. I'm still not sure what I'll do... I often reference what page the items that I'm using in the demo are on and so I am still passing them out at the beginning. I have been to shows where they won't give out a catalog until after and as a guest, I have not apprectiated that ... I guess I felt a bit trapped if that is the right word for it and I just want the show to feel much more relaxed than that. Just my 2 cents worth :)

quiverfull7 said:
I have been to shows where they won't give out a catalog until after and as a guest, I have not apprectiated that ... I guess I felt a bit trapped if that is the right word for it and I just want the show to feel much more relaxed than that. Just my 2 cents worth :)
That's exactly the feeling I've had! Like they're forcing you to stay through the whole demo and THEN start shopping.

I hand mine out at the beginning. Mostly it is because that is what I like when I go to other parties. I do understand the potential benefit of handing them out at the end but the times I've tried it, I found I either forgot to hand them out altogether (so then a wild scramble as I began to lose their attention) or fewer people turned in any order at all (as they left early, got to visiting, etc.). Again, I think it is my preference and habit more than anything.

If you do hand them out at the end, I would recommend a note pad or "wish list" to guests so they can write down things they might want to put on their order.

I have them do the demo all together -standing around the table- then I hand out books! I have had HUGE success with this!! My party sales have gone up a ton!!:)

I definitely always have them available before the show. I haven't had much probably with them being so distracted by the catalog that they don't listen to me. Women are pretty good with multi-tasking. Looking at the catalog while listening and glancing at what I'm doing. I'm not their mom or teacher. If they don't want to pay attention, who cares? It's their loss. That's just my view on it and it doesn't seem to affect my sales.I dislike it much more if I have some chatters that just can't stop. But then I just tease and they settle down. I go with the flow and I know that guests and hosts appreciate it.As a guest, I MUST have the catalog. After all, it takes me FOREVER to decide on things so I flip through it 10 times before deciding.

HA! I know what you mean... I always tease those who are chatting and ask if they are teachers... MOST of the time... THEY ARE! and that gets lots of laughs... no offense to teachers ... that is just what I'm observing and I have lots of teachers in my extended family as well as a daughter who teachers. I agree that we woman multitask well! :) We must or we wouldn't be able to do this business along with everything else.

I hand catalogs out at the beginning, but I don't give out the door prize slip til the end.

DebbieJ said:
I hand catalogs out at the beginning, but I don't give out the door prize slip til the end.

I do this too. I use the catalog during the demo - referring to different pages, and having guests find the page for me - then I throw them candy or a small twixit for helping out!

It really doesn't bother me at all if they are flipping through the catalog during my demo. It's MY job to make the demo interesting enough that they want to watch.

I pass the catalogs out at the beginng of the show... however I do not give them an order form until my demo is over...... They do have a piece of paper and a pin that they may right their wish list on....

I pass catalogs out at the beginning of the show... and those who know me know that I always use a show outline and on it are page numbers so I am constantly referring them to certain pages in the catalog and they are actively looking. Since I incorporate it into my demo, they pay attention to me. Hope that helps! :)

I hand out the catties at the beginning, but here's what I say:

"Let's go over what you have in your lapboards. Everything in there is yours to keep if you would like, but if you will just go home and toss it into the trash, I ask that you leave it behind so I can recycle it for another show!

~My business card magnet (free through Vistaprint.com) is yours to keep on your frig so anytime you need anything- help with a product, a new recipe, new products, whatever...you have my number handy! Also, next time someone asks you if you know of a PC consultant you can say "I sure do!"

~Opportunity flyer- You may not have come here looking for a new business, but you may know of someone who could use Pampered Chef as an opportunity so pass this along!

~Catalog- this is in here but you have to promise NOT to look through it till the end of my demonstration! (I say this kindof "kidding" but they really wait till I'm done...)

~Take your orderform (OOF that I print off including the guest special) and turn it over to the back. You can't fill it out yet, because you don't know what you need yet!! Use the back to write down anything you see me use or talk about (or that others are talking about) that interests you. This is your WISH LIST so that means anything goes...doesn't matter the price or how "sensible" it is...you can WISH for anything!

I tried to wait till the end to pass them out, but either I would forget about doing it (doh!) or I would have someone who was just having a FIT that they didn't get their catalog yet...so this is my compromise. It really has worked well for me!

I really like your flow Kelly that might explain why you have $1000.00 shows!!

Catalog gameI always pass them out at the beginning and let everyone know that they need to pay extra close attention to the demo because we are going to play a game called "Where is it in the Catalog?" after I am done.
My game just consists of me choosing certain products I used in my demo and ask them to find what page it is in the catalog. It's fun to see them frantically flipping through the catalog looking for the products and shouting out the page numbers. They keep track or I will of who has the most. I do about 9 or 10, I do an extra one for those that are tied.
IT's fun and it makes them familiar with the catalog, and it helps them to keep track of where the items are so they can check on the price, and read the description and choose to order it or not.

Debbie :D

Funny, at this last show I did on Saturday, I had a stack of the catalogs on a counter. But I did not mention them because I jumped into the demo and asked people to participate in the cooking prep (washing hands, volunteering, etc). I noticed that one of the stragglers came in and looked at the catalog and seemed surprised that no one had one in their hand--she grabbed one from the counter. After the taco ring was put in the oven, I then passed around the catalogs and incorporated it into my talk (I asked them to pick out a $10 or less item and write it on the back of the info/drawing slip). The straggler later told me that she had been to many PC parties and this was the first time it was interactive. She said she enjoyed it.

Anyway, I guess if you're doing an interactive-type show, the catalog is passed out later (but should still be accessible for those who need to browse first).

My .02....

Cath
/kitchenCPR

PC_CPR said:
Funny, at this last show I did on Saturday, I had a stack of the catalogs on a counter. But I did not mention them because I jumped into the demo and asked people to participate in the cooking prep (washing hands, volunteering, etc). I noticed that one of the stragglers came in and looked at the catalog and seemed surprised that no one had one in their hand--she grabbed one from the counter. After the taco ring was put in the oven, I then passed around the catalogs and incorporated it into my talk (I asked them to pick out a $10 or less item and write it on the back of the info/drawing slip). The straggler later told me that she had been to many PC parties and this was the first time it was interactive. She said she enjoyed it.

Anyway, I guess if you're doing an interactive-type show, the catalog is passed out later (but should still be accessible for those who need to browse first).

My .02....

Cath
/kitchenCPR

Why do you ask them to do this?

Well, first because it was a way for me to tell them how a great many of our products are less than $10; second, it got them to browse the catalog like they were wish-list shopping (which I did add the item to their wish list in my files); but lastly, because I had a door prize to give out to anyone who wrote down the item I had that day to give away!!!!

I give mine at the beginning. I don't want them to feel trapped. Plus, I have a lot of repeat customers at my shows that know exactly what they want to get. If someone needs to leave early, they have had a chance to look at the catty.

PC_CPR said:

My .02....

Cath
/kitchenCPR

Cath~

Your avatar is a beautiful picture!

I give mine at the beginning. I agree with Ann and others that I don't like to go to a show without being able to look at a catalog. It really bothers me at a jewelry show to not be able to look through the pictures because my taste is never what the consultant is showing. Same with the home decorating shows I used to get invited to years ago. I would have to search the catalog for something that wasn't over the top gaudy and ugly to see if I could actually purchase anything.

Well, here's something else I've been thinking about too; in the new consultant training dvd, it shows the consultant asking a guest to hold the recipe card to help her with the ingredient list, again, I think a way to be interactive and to hold someone's attention. I am brand spankin' new and don't have all the important product info knowledge yet, so I thought instead of a recipe card, I would make "recipe cards" that had the product info on them for the products I was using. So when I use the 5" Utility knife, I would say, "Who has the product info card for the knife I'm using? If you look on page __ in the catalog you'll see the knife I'm using. Mary, what does your card say about the features and benefits of this knife?" It would help me learn the product information, I would know that the key points of the product are mentioned, and the guests will be interactive, thus paying attention while still looking through the catalog.

What about that???

Thank you Kelly!

I found that I like passing out folders with catalogs and with a post-it so they can write their wish list. As we go around talking about the products we like, or what I am demonstrating/using at the show, we point it out in the catalog and go over details like whether it's dish-washer safe, best way to clean, use for, etc. I like to think my customers enjoy this... that way we're all going through the catalog together, and they have me available for questions the second something pops into their head. They don't seem to mind it this way as they constantly ask questions and talk to each other about the products they see/have, and I don't mind it either.

Jenny,
Our starter kit comes with those product 'recipe' cards already (we just photocopy and cut in half since they are 2 to a page). I tried that at my first show; however, I only did it with the products that I had trouble remembering details about (like the forged knife collection). I'd say 5 cards were good--more than that and it got to be too much for both the guests and the length of the show. Keeping that in mind, it is a good technique to try! Good luck!Cath
/kitchenCPR

I always give mine out at the door.I went to a party where the consultant (candle party not PC) did not hand out her catalogues and I had never heard of the product she was selling. I got there and noticed them on a table and picked it up to look at it. She snatched it out of my hand and was like, "you'll have to wait". She acted like it was top secret. Everyone at the party had already seen the book because they worked with the host and she had took a book to work that whole week. At the end of her demo, an hour later, the consultant handed me a book and was like, "here, now you can order". I felt so rushed. I didn't know what I wanted to order. In the meantime, everyone else was placing their order. I was the last person to leave and at that point, I didn't want to order from this lady since she was so rude and snatched the book away from me. So, I always give my books out at the beginning when they walk in the door.

Snatched it???
tabnat80 said:
I went to a party where the consultant (candle party not PC) did not hand out her catalogues and I had never heard of the product she was selling. I got there and noticed them on a table and picked it up to look at it. She snatched it out of my hand and was like, "you'll have to wait". She acted like it was top secret. Everyone at the party had already seen the book because they worked with the host and she had took a book to work that whole week. At the end of her demo, an hour later, the consultant handed me a book and was like, "here, now you can order". I felt so rushed. I didn't know what I wanted to order. In the meantime, everyone else was placing their order. I was the last person to leave and at that point, I didn't want to order from this lady since she was so rude and snatched the book away from me. So, I always give my books out at the beginning when they walk in the door.

She snatched it from you?? :eek: That's horrible. I would never do that to a potential customer or host.

I went to a Mary Kay facial, makeover type of event at their home office in town for a friend of mine. It was weird. Being herded around like cattle from one room to another to put on makeup, using a scrub for our feet in an individual tub of warm water, getting a 5 min. massage, get persuaded to join MK, and then to the last room where they gave us a catalog and told us to place our orders. We were so rushed it was crazy. There was like 30 -40 ladies there, I only knew one other lady because our friend invited us both, and everyone was invited by a different consultant. I didn't like it.

Debbie :D

Ok, I thought my idea was an original...I have not had a printer so I had not looked at the printable forms cd in our kit. Well, I just did & there is my idea to give a product info card to guests. Please say a prayer things go well; I am so nervous for my first show tomorrow. I am having major computer issues which is adding to the stress, plus my oven has been broken for almost 3 weeks so tonight was the first night I could practice my recipe.

Jenny,
Eat before your show! Don't forget to have FUN!! Your enthusiasm will get you through it! It's 'pampered' chef--not perfect chef. You will do fine! (Now repeat).Take care!Cath
/kitchenCPR

smallfarmmom said:
Well, here's something else I've been thinking about too; in the new consultant training dvd, it shows the consultant asking a guest to hold the recipe card to help her with the ingredient list, again, I think a way to be interactive and to hold someone's attention. I am brand spankin' new and don't have all the important product info knowledge yet, so I thought instead of a recipe card, I would make "recipe cards" that had the product info on them for the products I was using. So when I use the 5" Utility knife, I would say, "Who has the product info card for the knife I'm using? If you look on page __ in the catalog you'll see the knife I'm using. Mary, what does your card say about the features and benefits of this knife?" It would help me learn the product information, I would know that the key points of the product are mentioned, and the guests will be interactive, thus paying attention while still looking through the catalog.

What about that???

What a great idea! I think I'm going to have to do something like this at my shows... I need to make them more interactive and this is a GREAT start!

smallfarmmom said:
Please say a prayer things go well; I am so nervous for my first show tomorrow. I am having major computer issues which is adding to the stress, plus my oven has been broken for almost 3 weeks so tonight was the first night I could practice my recipe.

Hi Jenny! I'm new around here too :)
So...how did you first show go??

My first show is tonight...I'll let you know.

Hope you show goes well tonight. I always hand out the catalog and order form at the beginning. I also hand out the survey form at the end!!

1. When should I hand out the catalogs during the party?

At Pampered Chef, we recommend handing out catalogs after the demonstration is over. This way, guests can focus on the demo and see the products in action before flipping through the catalog. It also allows them to ask questions and engage with the consultant during the demo. Handing out catalogs before the show may distract guests and could result in a lower show average.

2. Can guests look through the catalogs during the party?

It is up to the consultant's discretion whether or not to allow guests to look through the catalogs during the party. Some consultants may prefer to have guests fully engaged in the demo, while others may allow guests to flip through the catalog during breaks or after the demo is over.

3. Will having a catalog in hand during the party affect my show average?

While there is no guarantee, some consultants have noticed a decrease in their show average when guests have the catalog during the show. This is because guests may be more focused on flipping through the catalog rather than paying attention to the demo and making purchases. However, each party is different and it ultimately depends on the consultant's personal preference.

4. Why do some consultants choose not to hand out catalogs during the party?

As mentioned before, some consultants may feel that having the catalog during the demo can be distracting for guests. They want to ensure that guests are fully engaged and paying attention to the products being demonstrated. Additionally, by not handing out the catalog during the show, it creates a sense of exclusivity for guests to see the products in person and makes them more likely to make a purchase.

5. Do you recommend having the catalog available for guests to look at after the party?

Yes, we do recommend having catalogs available for guests to look through after the party. This allows them to take their time and browse through the products they saw during the demo. It also serves as a reminder of the products they were interested in and may result in additional sales. Additionally, guests who were unable to attend the party can still have the opportunity to see the products and make purchases.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ms_twana
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • naekelsey
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
naekelsey
  • TrishPCMommy