• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Closing Catalog Shows: Avoiding Host Disappearances

In summary, the host is supposed to close out the show, but they often do not show up. The host coaching that is offered to them can help increase the chances of them closing out the show.
chefshakeerah
How do you get people to close out their catalog shows? I am tired of people doing them (or supposedly) and then when it is time to close them out, the host is nowhere to be found! How can I prevent this or what do I do the convince the host to close out the show?

Of course, I want to close out the show, but I don't think that I should have to stalk people. These people came to me and asked to do a catalog show, so why is it so hard to close out the show???

Any information would be helpful. I am considering no longer doing these types of show, it has gotten that bad!:cry:

I'm sorry, I'm of no help to you since I'm in the same boat. Misery loves company kinda thing. I have a friend who's also a mother of one of the boys on my son's hockey team and of one on my daughter's soccer team so I see her at least twice a week. She facebooked me about 3 weeks ago about her broken bar pan she bought 5 years ago wanting to know the warranty. When I told her, she responded oh crap! I then told her she knew how she can get it free, half price or discounted right? And if not, I could just order it for her with her 10% past host discount. She then said yeah, let me think about it...then sent me another message 2 days later and asked for some books and order forms. I had my hubby bring them to hockey the next night, messaged her at the end of the month (about 1 1/2 weeks later) to see if she wanted to still do November or was she more in

Last edited:
For what it's worth- those type of hosts (catalog especially) do NOT have enough orders to make it a show, otherwise, they would get back to you. I think most who play the avoiding-game do so because they are embarrassed or don't want to give any excuses, etc.I don't have any advice either. I've had the same problem in the past. I don't like doing catalog shows either. i think they are more work because I always have to "chase down" the host. I'll need to find out what my hospitality director does. She does 8-10 a MONTH. She also has "that personality" too...which I'm sure helps, and which I was not blessed with! (you know the one- the type that everyone is afraid to say no to!)

Yes, that is where I am with these hosts. For one, this is the second time that he has flaked out on me and I have decided that he is welcome to place an order of his own, but I am not doing any more catalog shows with him. The other host is a former direct sales consultant herself, so I really expected better from her, but I don't think that she ever got around to selling anything on her show.

I just hate to write hosts off. I am always looking for the good in people, so I am hoping that there is some major reason why these hosts have not closed out their shows. I also feel bad for their friends that placed orders.

But...bless and release is all I can do, I guess!

Two things with catalog shows, you can only count on a 50% return on them. If you want to turn in 1 then book 2, that is just the way it is, catalog show hosts book them because they think it is easier, when really it is more work for them. The other thing is you have to host coach them just like you would a regular show, 3-4 phone calls (not emails) That will up your success rate as well. During your host coaching you will get a good feel whether they are getting orders or not.

You have to look at it this way. IMO Catalog shows are not considered real shows and are not by a lot of us for just that reason. Fickle hosts make it impossible to rely on them for income. For years I have known them only as gravy. Some thing extra that is great but you can't count on. Sorry they are turning out that way.

Don't give up on the catalog shows. They are gravy but can make a difference for incentives, commission level etc. I had a $600+ catalog show this year. It balances the $150 ones. My catalog show average for the 6.5 years I've been in biz has been a consistent $300-350. I tell my catalog hosts they have 2 weeks to do it, yet it usually turns into 3 weeks. I try to touch base after 1 week to see if they need anything (really just reminding them that they need to START b/c most haven't). Week 2 phone call is to "wrap it up" but is really a "how much longer do you think you'll need?"

In my 3 months as a consultant, I'm doing about 1/2 catalog and 1/2 kitchen shows. The hosts for my catalog shows are usually HIGHLY motivated b/c they want a certain item at a discount or for free. My mom did the first one (gotta love Moms!!) - she didn't go full force and still came up with almost $500. The 2nd one WANTED the 12 inch skillet, targeted only the folks she thought would order and then followed up like a mad woman. She got the 12" 60% off and then used her 1/2 priced item to get the 7 piece stainless set. The best thing of all, she felt I was doing HER a favor (which I was) so when I was in a jam over the Black Friday/SAT, she was moooore than happy to help me! My last catalog host sells jewelry in Belk's. On the day we were to close her show, she was $47 shy of $300. While I was standing there, she rustled up 2 more orders and they paid in cash. One of the ladies was a customer of hers and was very happy to help my host reach her goal.

I do my host coaching via email and phone. The emails seem to motivate them and then I go over that same information on the phone. Here are 2 examples:

Hey Cece!

T - 10 Days

Goals: Grill Pan & Grill Press. We need $150 in guest sales to call it a show - if we reach $300, you get 1 1/2-priced item, hint, hint! :)

# of Outside Orders: I've not gotten any outside orders via the website to date. If you've gathered any outside orders, give me a call and we can put them on your show.

# of Guests: Wahoo! You have 21 folks invited! Some folks may need more than just an email so be sure to follow up with a phone call. With Thanksgiving coming, this is the perfect time to remind folks to take a breather and do some shopping with their feet UP!

Let me know if there's any questions I can answer and you can always refer your guests to me to answer questions, place orders, etc.

And another one:
Hey Sindry!!

Wanted to let you know how things were looking w/your catalog show

T - 18 Days

Goals:
Roasting Pan with Rack, Meat Lifters and Baster & Cleaning Brush Host Special ($650 required in Guest Orders)

# of Outside Orders: I've not gotten any outside orders via the website to date. If you've gathered any outside orders, give me a call and we can put them on your show. Then we'd have an idea where you are with the Host Rewards. In order to reach your goal of $650, we probably need between 15 and 25 orders.

I'm attaching a worksheet called 50 GUESTS IN 5 MINUTES to help you brainstorm additional guests. Don't forget to email folks the invite so they can click on the link to order. You can also follow up with a phone call - share your excitement about your show!! :) It's contagious!

Let me know if there's any questions I can answer and you can always refer your guests to me to answer questions, place orders, etc.

NOW, I will say that the emails work for me also b/c I can see where we are as well.

Anyway, hope that helps someone. My catalog shows have really helped me keep things going esp when my cooking shows cancel or get postponed.

I am right there with Becca....I never leave a catalog show open for more than 3 weeks- ideally 2 weeks. I stay in touch with calls or emails and I find I have much better results by going to them. That has worked for me as I havent had any catalog show hosts that I havent been in near proximity to.
I tell them - "How about if I bring my laptop over on Wednesday, we can enter your orders and hopefully close the show." I have not had one fail. Maybe I have been lucky as they have remained motivated, or maybe it is just that they know I am keeping track of them. ! Half of my shows in November were catalog shows and helped me reach my chosen SAT level. 2 of my 3 shows for this month are catalog and all will close by the 15th.
Hang in there and keep tabs on your hosts.;)

I've had really great success with Catalog shows. I've also had some terrible ones.

I do agree that it's best to not "count" on them though, since they can go either way.

I LOVE catalog shows! I let them take their time but it is money in the bank for me and I don't have to leave the house! I never depend on them but sure do love it when they call and tell me to come get all the orders!I have had a couple of flakes but, more often than not, they are bankable shows!

I've only done one (granted it is my mom) but it's been successful so far. It's been going for just this week so far and already $200 in sales. I think I'm gonna try for at least one a month.

I also love catalog shows, when they go well.. I have had a couple that swear they have "lots of orders" and then they never turn in the show and ignore you... But the way I look at that is, it is their loss.... They are the ones not getting the free stuff..

1. What is the purpose of a catalog show in Pampered Chef?

Catalog shows are a convenient way for our customers to view and purchase our products without hosting a traditional in-person party. It allows them to shop from the comfort of their own home at their own convenience.

2. How do I host a successful catalog show?

The key to a successful catalog show is to reach out to your network and promote your show in various ways, such as through social media, email invitations, and word of mouth. You can also offer incentives or rewards for those who make purchases during your show.

3. Can I earn host rewards from a catalog show?

Yes, you can earn host rewards from a catalog show based on the total sales from your show. The more sales you generate, the more rewards you can earn, such as discounted or free products.

4. How long does a catalog show last?

The length of a catalog show can vary, but typically it lasts for about 2 weeks. This gives your guests enough time to browse through the catalog and place their orders.

5. Can I still earn commission as a consultant from a catalog show?

Yes, as a consultant, you can earn commission from all sales made during your catalog show. It is a great way to increase your income and grow your business without having to physically attend a party.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchef.angel
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
monicag
  • HealthNut
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
BlueMoon
  • cochef