• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Those Hosts That 'Seem Like' They Don't Want a Show..

In summary, the speaker is frustrated with occasional unresponsive and unengaged hosts who seem interested but end up not following through with hosting a show. They also share their own strategies for motivating and keeping hosts accountable for inviting guests.
smilesarepriceless
Gold Member
****This is a small percentage of my hosts..but it has been maybe 1-2 a month and it really drives me NUTS!

Do you know the type..They come to a show..They are cordial..they don't check that they want a show, but when you ask them directly if they would like to have a show and earn free products at checkout ( after asking about the business opportunity)..they seem as if part of them wants to say yes..but part of them wants to say no..

And so they end up signing up b/c of the booking benefit the current host can get....

You host coach....Pepping guests invites as super important...and you just get the feeling that they are inviting like 12 people..

How do you keep your self motivated to try and keep them motivated.

I've had really great successes with my shows..but lately I feel I'm meeting the occasional 'dud' or 'wal-flowerish-totally lacking personality/social skills' kind of hosts and these few...either are horrible at communicating with me during the month before their show....OR they give me lip service the whole time..and 4 days before their show say they non of their friends want to come, or place orders...

*And yes, I of course offer that a catalog show is an option...but then they say there friends don't seem interested...Or they just flake off...and don't return my calls..

ditto...same here sometimes!

Had one of those on Friday... She told me she had 10 confirmed but some would be coming late because of work... (um, we could have changed the show time!!) Only had 3 show up an hour late and NO ONE ordered! When I was prepping I saw the postcard invitations by her sink... it had been opened but I swear they were ALL there!Total waste of my time - I don't know why she didn't cancel and to be honest... her friends were more interested in going out and getting wasted than spending $$ on Pampered Chef. I got a $10 order from the host and it wasn't even the stuff she said she was interested in. I told her to get some outside orders by Tuesday but I don't see it happening. I was really frustrated and I'm not sure how I could have done it differently. I just recently decided not to send the invites for my hosts because I hate doing it... I'm rethinking it now.

I've offered to send my hosts' invite postcards just about every time, and I've never had a host take me up on it. I really push the invites through my PWS...call me crazy, but I find it nice to be able to see just how many people have actually been invited THAT way, so that even if I can't double check the postcards I can hold them accountable that way.
I guess what it boils down to is that I've always tried to be completely up front and honest whenever I've been asked to book a show, and I just wish others would do the same. If you have too much going on in your life, and you're not going to put any amount of true effort into it, why waste my time and yours, right?

I just had a show scheduled yesterday and I tried to call her almost everyday for the last week and I called her last week to mail out invites. She never returned any of my calls, so needless to say, we didn't have the show. I guess it was good though, since we gots lots of snow and the show was going to be 1 hr 15 min from my house, I would have had to cancel anyway. I just don't understand why they don't just call you and tell you instead of wasting my time and energy! This was like the 3rd date that she scheduled so I cannot say that I am surprised, but she seemed excited every other time that I talked to her. I had to send her 2 host packets because of the season change too. I am totally disgusted! I feel your pain!

sklay723 said:
I've offered to send my hosts' invite postcards just about every time, and I've never had a host take me up on it. I really push the invites through my PWS...call me crazy, but I find it nice to be able to see just how many people have actually been invited THAT way, so that even if I can't double check the postcards I can hold them accountable that way.
I guess what it boils down to is that I've always tried to be completely up front and honest whenever I've been asked to book a show, and I just wish others would do the same. If you have too much going on in your life, and you're not going to put any amount of true effort into it, why waste my time and yours, right?

Do not "Offer" to do the invites. Tell your hosts when they book that as a service to your hosts that you do all the invites. If they put down at least 40 names addresses or emails that their postage will be free! Otherwise you will get a check from them for the amt of the postage at their show. It has helped me a TON to not give a host packet till I get their guest list. This way you know if they are commited.

Now all this being said there are still flakey hosts who have no respect for our time. I feel it is part of societies attitude as a whole.

As for the honesty part I can only dream! How many times can I say "If the answer is no you are not hurting my feelings. I want you to do what is best for you and your family."

ETA: I apologize if I sounded harsh or pushy. I am just relating how things work for me. again this is YOUR business (don't you just love that!) so you can work it how it best suits you! Good Luck!

Last edited:
Okay, here is what I do:1. Once I get a date on the calendar I tell them "I make it really easy on my hosts, I send out the invitations and make the reminder calls. All you need to do is get a guest list to me a provide a few ingredients, how does that sound?" They respond and then I say, "I'll be emailing you in a few days. I'll need the bulk of the guest list a week after I email you, we can always add more to the list, but get as many people with as much information as possible. I do not add anyone to my emailing list unless I specifically ask them, so their information is safe and secure. You'll want to get as many names as possible - 40-60 is usually what my most successful hosts give me. Don't forget that anyone in the US and on any military base in the world can order on my website on your show and have it shipped directly to them!" (Yes, I say this actual spiel every time!)2. I get their information and set them up on my website and send out an email from my website to them and then another email from my email account. There are three attachments on that email. Here is the email:
I am so excited for your show on April 12th! You should have received an email from my website. Please check out the website to see what is available to you - make sure to create your wish list!!!This may seem a little early to be planning, but I have a busy April (and I'm still booking shows - the specials are awesome!!!) and I want to get a jump on the invitations. I have attached a guest list. It is a Word Document. All you have to do is open the document, type in all the information you have on each guest, save it and attach it to an email back to me. Don't forget your out of town friends and family! They can order on your show through my website and have it shipped directly to them! Mother's Day is coming up, so make sure you tell your friends they can get Mom a great gift through Pampered Chef! I need your guest list by March 15nd. If I don't have it then, make sure you contact me otherwise your date is up for grabs. I need to make sure I don't lose a night of work! The more information on each guest you give me, the more ways I will have to invite them. I only use this information for the show. I do not add anyone to email lists without specifically asking them.I have also attached a Q &A for Hosts that addresses the most frequent questions. Please read over this and let me know if you have more questions. I am doing this to benefit you, not so I don't have to answer your questions, so please ask away!I have also attached a brainstorming worksheet to help you with your guest list. Remember, people won't be offended if you do invite them, but they will be offended if you didn't! Once I get your guest list I will get your host kit to you. In the host kit will be catalogs, order forms, flyers on the specials, blank invitations to hand out to people you forgot and come across in your daily outings and more! I will be calling you to go over the kit and make this your best Pampered Chef Party!3. When I get the guest list, I make up some blank invites and put them in the host kit and mail or deliver the host kit to them. I call it a host KIT because a packet is information while a kit is something that helps you get somewhere or something. I do put their name on one of the catalogs and tell them to go through and circle everything they would get if I gave them a Pampered MasterCard that they never had to pay off.4. During the first one of my host coaching sessions I have them read off the item numbers for everything they circled in their own catalog. I put the item numbers in PP (or P3) just as if they were a guest. I then take the three highest priced products and cut them in half. I also know which host special they are going for at this point and add that to the three half-price items. The rest of the products are still totaled up in PP. My average show last month was $800 which means $165 in free products. I subtract $165 from the total left in PP, add that to the half-price and host special total and ask them "If I could get all that for you for $X, how would that make you feel?" Most of the time they are ecstatic. Then I ask "Would you like me to tell you how we're going to do that?" DUH! I go into why I need 40-60 names and ask if they can get that guest list to me in the next couple of days. Oh, and when we do their wish list, I make sure to point out any upcoming host specials that are on their list and when they would be on sale for 60% off. This starts them thinking of who would book as well as rebooking themselves to get two host specials.5. I host coach EVERY Wednesday even if the show is 4 months out! This keeps my name/face in front of them, gives them a chance to ask any questions, and keeps them excited. It also gives me a chance to remind them what they are going for.6. When it gets closer I let them know what recipe I'll be making (if I didn't already know) and how it will help with bookings because it focuses on the host special for the next month. I make sure to put a DYLAB in their host kit and have them circle every upcoming host special they want. For example, if they want all three of April's specials, I explain to them how to get them. They can get three people to book or they can get one and rebook themself for April.I know this is a lot, but take what you like and work it into your system for three months. If it works for you, great! If not, try something else!!!

WOW!! Thanks for all the info Kate! This is so helpful, I'm going to try it out!!
And Heather I know what you are saying, I'm new to PC but I did have a HBB with another company and ran into this issue alot. I hope everything works out for you! Best of luck!

I really like what Beth shared in a different thread. She says something like "Would you like me to share with you some information that helps my most successful hosts". That's not exactly what she says, but if you find the "Rude/Pushy Consultants" thread, you'll find Beths post.

Kate --Thanks a million for your tips/suggestions..I'm busy preparing for my show tomorrow night, but I am going to work on implementing some of your ideas right away. I'm always up for improvements to my business and I'm really thankful for your advise!

THANKS also everyone else .. :> THANKS..keep em' coming!

That was amazing and incredibly helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time out to post that!

Kate,
Could you post your Q&A for hosts please?

Yes, please can you post your Q&A for the host?

Very useful information, Kate thank you!

oh and what is your "brainstorming work sheet"?

Here are the three attachments I give my hosts.

Attachments

• 50 GUESTS IN 5 MINUTES.doc
    60 KB · Views: 341
  • A Guest List ahead.doc
    291.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Q & A for Hosts.doc
    167.5 KB · Views: 346
Thanks Kate! You rock!

Wonderful forms! Thank you so much for sharing your hard work with us! I'm going to use these from now on. Wish me luck!

Kate, great information and forms! Very inspirational! Thanks for sharing!

I totally agree with all of this. I personally haven't gotten to the point of getting a check from the host for postage, but its a great idea! If I ever offer to send the invites they ALWAYS say no. When I tell them I send them, they say ok. People like and appreciate structure. When you are organized and on top of everything I think they realize I am serious about this. I also have those hosts who will still flake out, but if I never get the guest list I know it won't be a party.

etteluap70PC said:
Do not "Offer" to do the invites. Tell your hosts when they book that as a service to your hosts that you do all the invites. If they put down at least 40 names addresses or emails that their postage will be free! Otherwise you will get a check from them for the amt of the postage at their show. It has helped me a TON to not give a host packet till I get their guest list. This way you know if they are commited.

Now all this being said there are still flakey hosts who have no respect for our time. I feel it is part of societies attitude as a whole.

As for the honesty part I can only dream! How many times can I say "If the answer is no you are not hurting my feelings. I want you to do what is best for you and your family."

ETA: I apologize if I sounded harsh or pushy. I am just relating how things work for me. again this is YOUR business (don't you just love that!) so you can work it how it best suits you! Good Luck!

Mail invites
etteluap70PC said:

Wow my exact words. It's not something I offer as a choice. I give my hosts the 3 ply form from PC order form, they get it back to me before they get the packet. (I hand deliver the host packet since most my shows are local) When mailing invites for them, I know they get out. I also have the advantage that I have everyone's phone numbers. If they don't come to the show, I can call and see if there is anything they would like to add to xxx show. I'm thinking about making the reminders calls for my next show. I really want to get free National Conference.

All my invites have a sticker on that says:

Unable to attend?Place an order for your friend’s showOnline at:Welcome to In the Kitchen with

I don't have cancellations and my shows are successful. I'm successfully over $500 on most shows.

WOW Kate!!!!!!!!!!

You have done a great job!!!!!!!!!!!! It must be working if you are a Director. I do many things the same. I LOVE the e-mail you send to them asking for the guest list. I used to not mail out the host packet until I got the guest list and decided I needed to stop since postage was costing so much. Great job and thanks for the ideas.

1. How do I approach a potential host who seems uninterested in hosting a Pampered Chef show?

One approach is to focus on the benefits of hosting a show, such as earning free and discounted products, as well as the fun experience of having friends and family over for a cooking demonstration. You can also offer to make the process as easy as possible for them by helping with invitations and providing all the necessary materials.

2. What should I do if a potential host declines my invitation to host a show?

Respect their decision and thank them for considering it. You can also ask if they would be interested in attending a show as a guest or if they know anyone who might be interested in hosting. Keep the door open for future opportunities.

3. How can I overcome a potential host's objections to hosting a show?

Listen to their concerns and try to address them. For example, if they are worried about the cost, you can explain how they can earn free and discounted products by hosting a show. If they are concerned about not having enough time, you can offer to help with the planning and preparation.

4. Is it appropriate to follow up with a potential host who initially declined my invitation?

Yes, it is appropriate to follow up, but make sure to do so in a respectful and non-pushy way. You can simply check in and see if they have any questions or if their circumstances have changed. It's important not to pressure them or make them feel guilty for declining.

5. How can I make hosting a show more appealing to a potential host who is hesitant?

Offer incentives such as free products or an extra discount for hosting a show. You can also highlight the social aspect of hosting a show and how it can be a fun and unique way to spend time with friends and family. Additionally, you can assure them that there is no pressure to make a purchase and that the focus is on having a great time together.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchef.angel
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
monicag
  • pkd09
  • Pampered Chef Shows
2 3 4
Replies
Views
pampered1224