• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Where to You Find Hosts Who Want to Have a Party?

In summary, the person is frustrated because they are not able to find people to do a show with them.
NooraK
Gold Member
Where do you find people who are excited about doing a show, when you don't have shows on your calendar already?

I am so frustrated. Last year started out great. By this time (half-way through the year) I'd had over $10,000 in personal sales and 26 shows. It's not a huge amount, I know, but it was huge for me. This year, I'm barely over $2,000 with 6 shows, most of them catalog, and right now my calendar is pretty much empty.

I have a show scheduled for Saturday night, but the host is telling me she has no one coming, and keeps giving me reason after reason why she can't invite anyone else when I try to coach her and suggest people to invite. It's not a far drive, and I'm sure I would like hanging out with just the host if that truly happened, but I also don't like skipping out on a night I could spend with my family if it isn't going to make a monetary contribution to our budget.

I just don't know where to find people who actually want to have a party. I know they're out there, I have several local PC friends who have 2-3 parties a week, and have fantastic businesses. I feel like I'm trapped in the same list of people, and I don't want to keep bugging them to do a show if they don't want to. I don't want someone to do a favor for me. I want them to be excited and WANT to have a party. I don't want to spend my nights on the phone, calling the same list of people over and over again, not getting anywhere. If I have to be on the phone, I'd rather be doing host coaching or something.

I'm sure one of the first suggestions is to do fairs. I have nothing against doing fairs, I have some concerns. Firstly, while it is small, there is an expense. I really would like to spend as little as possible, so that I can put as much as possible into our household budget, since my husband is currently unemployed. I did two school Fall Festivals last year ($30 each, $60 total), got three bookings. Two canceled due to divorce, the third turned into a recruit (Yay! But I can't re-book her :D). I also did a holiday bazaar, and while other vendors did great, I barely scraped together enough orders to submit a show, losing money in the end because I had offered free shipping. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, because I don't seem to get that much interest.

I have a very strict "No Solicitations" policy at work, and I've actually been spoken to before about not talking PC at work, so I can't really bring it up myself.

Then there's the out-and-about contacts. Julie Ann Jones shared http://julieannejones.com/6-ways-to-errand-advertise-your-direct-sales-business recently. It's got some great tips, but I just can't seem to put them into action:
  • I work 8-5, limiting the time I have each day to go out to do this. All kinds of mommy-group stuff, for example, occurs during the day, while I'm at work and the kids are at day-care (in-home care, the babysitter is a great host, no other kids in her care currently that I could reach out to parents).
  • My kids aren't old enough yet to be involved in any kind of organized groups: Scouts, sports, etc. nor do they go to school, so I don't have those contacts
  • With kids, it's harder to go out and concentrate on contacts: I know it's not fun for them, and having to keep an eye on them makes it harder for me to be cheerful, and to pay attention to other people. Amy Neal told a great story of how she would go to the grocery store and "prowl" the aisle for contacts, but I can't take my kids to the grocery store and walk up and down the same aisle with them for hours.
  • How do I go "shopping" when I have absolutely no money to spend? This limits my ability to chat with cashiers, and I hate to lead sales people on pretending to shop when I have no intention to buy anything, especially if they're on commission
  • The best conversation starter tip I've heard is to compliment someone. But how do you keep the conversation going, and how do you turn it to PC without making it obvious that's the only reason you're talking to someone?

I feel so lost. I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, and I probably am, but I just can't seem to figure it out. I feel like the problem must be with me. It's not that there aren't people out there that want to have parties, I just can't seem to find them. Maybe these people just don't like me. Many of the trainings often say people book with you, because of you. They can get the host benefits with anyone. So my logic follows that if they don't want to book with me, it must be me. (It's really frustrating. On one hand they teach us that a no is not personal, but then they tell us that we personally are the biggest reason our customers do business with us.)I know that's not really true, but it's getting harder and harder to believe otherwise.

I kind of feel like Sharon Zelen on that call HO sent a link to. I'm doing what I think I'm supposed to be doing, but it's not working. I need someone to show me what I'm doing wrong, and how to do it right.

I'm sorry this got so long. I know there are some fabulously successful ladies out there and maybe one of you will have some idea that ends up being the switch that turns the lights on.

I am sorry to hear you are so frustrated! I think we have all been in your spot. You said you had some friends that are working a thriving business? First thing I would do is go to a show with them. See first hand what they are doing different than you. Maybe you will have an "aahaa" moment and it might help. Good luck to you!
Sarah

Noora,Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt, hat and coffee mug!I work a very odd schedule ... 9-6 today, 8-5 Friday and 2-10 the rest of the week. Very hard for me to make calls (most people are best reached between 8 and 9 p.m.) when I am usually at work at this time!I have spent a lot of money on fairs and have a lot of contacts to follow up on but am having a hard time finding the time to do so_One of the training CDs suggested going to the grocery store with your apron on. And I wouldn't be so obsessed about the "three contact" rule when you're out and about. When we went shopping for leads, most of us didn't buy anything or bought one small thing.Good luck!

I've never gone to the store with my apron on, but I have noticed wearing logo wear has gotten me show bookings.Another thing that has helped me 'advertise' is meeting my hosts in public places such as McDonalds or a restaurant of some sort. I always go through their host packet at our table. I will purchase a beverage so that I've 'earned' the privilege of using their table as my office. After my host leaves, I will continue to 'work' on their show or even make a short phone call to another potential host. I say short because you want to make yourself available to the curious neighbor. I always make sure to prop my catalog tote beside me to work as my billboard. You will be amazed at how many people will approach you. Some will say how much they love TPC, others will ask what the heck you're doing! Invite them to sit down in your 'office' and never leave without their information.Best of luck to you!

sarahsworld2000 said:
You said you had some friends that are working a thriving business? First thing I would do is go to a show with them. See first hand what they are doing different than you. Maybe you will have an "aahaa" moment and it might help. Good luck to you!
Sarah

Maybe I'll see if I can do that. I do need to work on my show itself, so I don't get to this point again.

But, the bigger problem is that I don't have shows on my calendar, so seeing what they do won't immediately solve my current problem.

Intrepid_Chef said:
I have spent a lot of money on fairs and have a lot of contacts to follow up on but am having a hard time finding the time to do so.

One of the training CDs suggested going to the grocery store with your apron on. And I wouldn't be so obsessed about the "three contact" rule when you're out and about. When we went shopping for leads, most of us didn't buy anything or bought one small thing.

I find it difficult to find contacts at the events I've been to that are even interested in PC. Maybe I haven't been to the right events.

As for the grocery store, it still boils down to the kids. Even if I'm wearing my apron, no one wants to approach me with two toddlers taking up all my attention. Maybe I need to insist the hubby watches the kids while I go shopping.

Brenda.the.chef said:
Another thing that has helped me 'advertise' is meeting my hosts in public places such as McDonalds or a restaurant of some sort. I always go through their host packet at our table. I will purchase a beverage so that I've 'earned' the privilege of using their table as my office.

After my host leaves, I will continue to 'work' on their show or even make a short phone call to another potential host. I say short because you want to make yourself available to the curious neighbor. I always make sure to prop my catalog tote beside me to work as my billboard.

You will be amazed at how many people will approach you. Some will say how much they love TPC, others will ask what the heck you're doing! Invite them to sit down in your 'office' and never leave without their information.

Best of luck to you!

I'd love to be able to do this, but since I have no shows, I don't have anyone to coach :D And again, not something that would work with the kids.

Maybe one of my underlying problems is my apparent inability to insist that Hubby watches the kids so that I can do these types of things. Whenever I ask that he do so, his response is along the lines of "well, then I get to go to poker night/riding my motorcycle/something else fun". It doesn't help to reason with him that those activites don't make money, because up until now my business has been more of a hobby and not a huge money maker. He seems to want to keep score on everything, and if he doesn't get as much time for himself (as he sees it) as I do, he pouts.

If hubby is currently unemployed and it is YOU that is trying to help pay the bills, it would seem that HE is the one that needs some coaching. He needs to step up so that you can do your job without the kids in tow. If he can't understand that, then it's not just you having the problem getting shows. I hope things will get better for you and your family.

Teresa LM said:
If hubby is currently unemployed and it is YOU that is trying to help pay the bills, it would seem that HE is the one that needs some coaching. He needs to step up so that you can do your job without the kids in tow. If he can't understand that, then it's not just you having the problem getting shows. I hope things will get better for you and your family.

I agree with this. It might be harsh but if he's not working and you're trying to make money then he needs to be supportive.

Unfortunately without time to yourself, it's going to be very difficult as the kids seem to be the biggest obstacle / excuse you have in getting time to make the contacts.

I'm a big believer in what you think about the most you get the most. Change the tape in your head (as hard as it may be) from "no one wants to book with me" and "my hosts always cancel" to "I'm booking lots of parties now" and "My hosts are reliable and fun and excited for their shows"

It will make a difference - I promise. I had 2 shows on my calendar for July, then re-read the Secret, and changed the tape to "I'm booking lots of parties now" and I now have 15 shows on the calendar for July. Yes, I did some promotions to get the bookings and a couple of trade shows, etc...but I really believe it was my mindset that changed it. When you come from a place of desperation, it makes it harder to book...I've been there!

I completely understand how you feel. My DH is deployed 3/4 of the year and working the other months so I always have my kids (4 & 2) in the grocery store. I have found mom's groups online that cater to working moms. They will hold park playdates on w/e or early evenings and are usually for the whole family so I don't cut into my family time. We moved here in 2009 and I have met all of my hosts through this mom's group. I will be moving yet again in 2012 and will need to start all over again. I take my kids to B&N for story time (free) and the library for free events and also when I was working I would go and have lunch at the grocery store (they had a little restaurant). I was getting myself out there without making special trips for spending any extra $$. I feel that I have a hard time selling myself also and can't get the shows to work on my demo. I wish you luck and hope that the perfect host fall right into your lap.

One thing I learned at conference is that your attitude is expressed through your voice. If you are feeling desperate, so will your voice. If you're feeling stressed, so will your voice. The solution? Put a mirror at your desk, look at it with a smile on your face, think happy thoughts (go to your "happy place"), then make calls with a smile on your face. It will express itself in your voice and will make the person on the other side of the line happy and excited and more likely to book a show. And, it will break down any barriers that may be there for whatever reason.

Another thing I learned is to NOT ask a person "How are you?" when you are making customer care calls/trying to book shows. It is disingenuous and will come off as such since this is NOT why you are calling! If you're calling for business then make it be known. Sincerity goes a long way.

Get some mini catalogs, put your information and the current and next month's host and guest special information on them and perhaps even an offer of a "Free Cooking Show" on them. Then take them to clothing stores, doctors offices, hair salons, the grocery store, anywhere! Simply leave one or two in the dressing room, the waiting room, on top of the cans of tomato sauce, among the magazines, where ever. People will pick them up and you just may get a call.

Ask at your kids pediatrican's office if you can "Pamper their Office". Simply take the office manager (or whomever you connect with) some catalogs and order forms and copies of the specials. Set a time to come back, say at the end of the week (Saturday if they have hours then). Tell them you'll bring a treat for them to share and collect orders. You could even see if they'd let you do a quick demo. If so, take your MFP and make a batch of salsa, serve with chips.

Grin and bear it with you husband, but also set some boundaries with him (you're not a doormat and you don't deserve to treated as such. PC is too awesome and amazing a company to be a part of to allow anyone to keep you from getting the More You're Looking For! Seriously.). I'd suggest you make it your goal to earn a trip (the bronze level is absolutely do-able even now). Take your husband on a trip and he'll never complain again. He will become your biggest fan.

You can do it.

Teresa LM said:
If hubby is currently unemployed and it is YOU that is trying to help pay the bills, it would seem that HE is the one that needs some coaching.

I wonder if I could find someone who does understand that he could speak to. It seems as though anything I say goes in one ear and out the other. But when he hears something I've said from someone else, it clicks (not just with PC).

PamperedK said:
"I'm booking lots of parties now" and I now have 15 shows on the calendar for July.

Thank you for the phrase. I know I need to change my internal dialogue, but it has been hard to find the words.

Amyskitchen2 said:
I have found mom's groups online that cater to working moms. They will hold park playdates on w/e or early evenings and are usually for the whole family so I don't cut into my family time ... I take my kids to B&N for story time (free) and the library for free events

I'll have to look for a group like that. I found one, but it's mostly SAHMs, so everything they do is during the day, during the week.

pchockeymom said:
Another thing I learned is to NOT ask a person "How are you?" when you are making customer care calls/trying to book shows. It is disingenuous and will come off as such since this is NOT why you are calling! If you're calling for business then make it be known. Sincerity goes a long way.

Get some mini catalogs, put your information and the current and next month's host and guest special information on them and perhaps even an offer of a "Free Cooking Show" on them. Then take them to clothing stores, doctors offices, hair salons, the grocery store, anywhere! Simply leave one or two in the dressing room, the waiting room, on top of the cans of tomato sauce, among the magazines, where ever. People will pick them up and you just may get a call.

Ask at your kids pediatrican's office if you can "Pamper their Office". Simply take the office manager (or whomever you connect with) some catalogs and order forms and copies of the specials. Set a time to come back, say at the end of the week (Saturday if they have hours then). Tell them you'll bring a treat for them to share and collect orders. You could even see if they'd let you do a quick demo. If so, take your MFP and make a batch of salsa, serve with chips.

Grin and bear it with you husband, but also set some boundaries with him (you're not a doormat and you don't deserve to treated as such. PC is too awesome and amazing a company to be a part of to allow anyone to keep you from getting the More You're Looking For! Seriously.). I'd suggest you make it your goal to earn a trip (the bronze level is absolutely do-able even now). Take your husband on a trip and he'll never complain again. He will become your biggest fan.

You can do it.

I feel like my host, picking everything apart. I do have Tammy Stanley's CDs, and agree with her approach, so when I do speak with people I employ it. My problem has always been getting anyone to answer. Maybe I need to include that into my internal dialogue.

The mini catalogs are a good idea, but it circles back to the ability to get out. Professional offices are closed by the time I get off work. And then there's the money part: I know you have to spend money to make money, but I also want the biggest bang for my buck and randomly leaving mini catalogs seems it would have a low ROI. I liked the "3" testimonial in the 3-2-1 section of the July CN, where the consultant said she gives out the mini and tells the recipient if they call, she'll give them a prize (a SBRC).

The pediatrician's office consists of the Dr, a receptionist and a nurse. While they would probably love to be pampered, they would each have to order $50 worth to even make a show :D Again, my mind goes to the ROI for my efforts.

I suppose I'll just have to keep myself going. Pick up the phone and not worry about whether the person on the other end feels like I'm annoying. I usually find it has been much longer since I last spoke with a contact then I think it was.

Whenever I ask that he do so, his response is along the lines of "well, then I get to go to poker night/riding my motorcycle/something else fun".

So let him pout, let him go have a night out, and still work your PC business. If it starts making more money he'll probably come around and see the possibilities. You said yourself it has been more of a hobby up until now, right?

Noora, I had been feeling the same way. My biz has been basically in the drain, and as you know I recently lost over $50k in career sales due to my computer glitch. So much has been going on in my life (for me to make excuses) in the last couple years. (pregnancy with high blood pressure problems, my DD was in NICU for her first 13 days, my c-section infection, and then getting the house ready for sale, and moving back to our home town, living in cramped quarters with the inlaws for six months). Meanwhile, we have been struggling financially with only my husband's income. I could not go back to my career (doing accounting work) because it does not pay when you have 3 children that need care. When I took a part-time job in April, they have only been giving me 6-16 hours in the eve per week. That does not pay the bills.

That is when I decided that working my business is a necessity. (as well as my dream :) ). I knew that the phone had to become my friend. But in the past, I was also only calling the same old leads over and over again, and only getting voicemails, etc.

That is when I got the courage to call people I have not spoken to in a while. I have called a couple customers that had placed some great orders with me in the past (over a year ago). The one that I did reach was excited to hear from me and told me she needed to order a couple of things. I sent a catty and now have to follow up. I called a former neighbor/host from NC that last hosted in '09. I will be sending her a catty, and she may collect a few orders.

So don't be afraid to call past hosts from 2 years ago and let them know you were "going thru some paperwork and came across their name" or just ask them as a past host if they are interested in hearing what's new with the Pampered Chef.

Hope that gives you a nudge to go pick up that phone :). Remember, GO FOR NO!

As far as booths go, it is a stretch of an expense for our budget, but I can usually get at least one booking from the event, so I can call it even, if I don't get a booking from that show that is held. Do you call EVERYONE that fills out the drawing slip? Even the ones that mark "No" to hosting? If you only call those ones that are marking yes or maybe, you are cutting yourself short.

The pediatrician's office consists of the Dr, a receptionist and a nurse. While they would probably love to be pampered, they would each have to order $50 worth to even make a show
And the nurse or receptionist might want free products and take the catalog to church with her. Ya never know!One thing I have learned at fairs is that you NEVER, EVER, EVER let them take your info without asking them for their info in return. It's a tit for tat thing, if they have my number I should have theirs! That said, the number of contacts I've gotten from fair shifts is lower than at previous events, and none seem able to call me back.One other thing that I learned: My hospitality cluster is about 40 miles away. One day I went with them on a "lead shopping" exercise at Wal-Mart. The girl with me was much more hesitant than I was and ducked away when it came to some people because she knew them. I knew NOBODY and came away with 3 leads. Sometimes it's about getting out of your area and finding new turf.

Another lesson from that "plethora of training tapes," this one from "Phenomenal phone calls." "Hi, I met you at Susie's party last June. I'm doing my annual check up calls .... "

Do you get any time at lunch? That's my take - away from conference.. work my lunch hour. I too work 45 ish hours a week away from home.. add another 90 min of commute time and BAM you have no life. But I love Pampered Chef. So what's a girl to do? I have the same issues you do.. again.. who on EARTH am I going to call? Here's my new plan for myself.. see if it fits you?

Look for business near your work. Salon, nail places, massage places..take them a quick light snack.. I'm actually thinking about a Firestation too. Quesadilla cups rock.. so do the Smore things and they are both inexpensive to make. Drop off snacks and binder. come back in a week. offer incentive for a booked show for the next month. A free spice or a desert sauce or something like that you can add to their order when the show holds.

Make calls on your lunch - customer care calls. Call everyone who ordered pantry items - everyone. Be straight forward, honest. "Hi it's Nora.. from TPC... Is this a bad time? No? FANTASTIC! It's the third week of the month.. I'm calling to see if your buffalo rub is low! (offer yummy tip here) or would you like to try the Ginger Wasabi sauce? In case you didn't know.. the collapsable bowl is on special this month too."

I WISH my TS person would have called me for Beer Bread.. but hey.. now I buy my own *wink*

ShellBeach said:
So let him pout, let him go have a night out, and still work your PC business. If it starts making more money he'll probably come around and see the possibilities. You said yourself it has been more of a hobby up until now, right?

Yes, I'm hoping that if I can start bringing in real money, he'll see it's not just me wanting to go out and hang with the girls.

Bren706 said:
So don't be afraid to call past hosts from 2 years ago and let them know you were "going thru some paperwork and came across their name" or just ask them as a past host if they are interested in hearing what's new with the Pampered Chef.
As far as booths go, it is a stretch of an expense for our budget, but I can usually get at least one booking from the event, so I can call it even, if I don't get a booking from that show that is held. Do you call EVERYONE that fills out the drawing slip? Even the ones that mark "No" to hosting? If you only call those ones that are marking yes or maybe, you are cutting yourself short.

Thank you for the encouraging words. I will have to find the various piles of drawing slips around the house.

Intrepid_Chef said:
And the nurse or receptionist might want free products and take the catalog to church with her. Ya never know!
One thing I have learned at fairs is that you NEVER, EVER, EVER let them take your info without asking them for their info in return.
I knew NOBODY and came away with 3 leads. Sometimes it's about getting out of your area and finding new turf.

You're right. I'm pre-judging the office. DS2 does have a 1-year check up coming up, I'll have to make sure DH takes information with him. If he's not working, I might as well put him to work!

Intrepid_Chef said:
I'm doing my annual check up calls .... "

Yes! "I'm calling to make sure everything is OK, it's been almost a year since the party and I'm doing a Guarantee-check"

DeannaK1022 said:
Do you get any time at lunch? ... BAM you have no life. OMG this is SO true!
Look for business near your work. Salon, nail places, massage places..take them a quick light snack.. I'm actually thinking about a Firestation too. ... Drop off snacks and binder. come back in a week. offer incentive for a booked show for the next month ... Make calls on your lunch - customer care calls. Call everyone who ordered pantry items - everyone. ...I WISH my TS person would have called me for Beer Bread.. but hey.. now I buy my own *wink*

Currently, I am still nursing, and visit DS2's daycare during lunch. However, that will only last another month. I try to call in the car on the way to and from, but sometimes I just don't know who to call. I need to get better with my organization of contacts.

I've been contemplating pampering a business, but have been afraid to do so. I suppose I should just jump in.

And I have gotten orders from making customer care calls, so it does happen. I just have to remind myself of that.

Thank you ladies, for being so wonderful and supportive. I knew that I would be able to find some suggestions that I hadn't really considered before (or even the same stuff, viewed from a different angle). I didn't mean it badly to shoot down any ideas, but I just wanted to make you guys push me into a corner :D

My quick, snarky answer (having read just the title and not the posts) -- you find hosts who WANT to hold a party by talking to lots and lots of people who DON'T WANT to host a party. But, then again, you already knew that.

raebates said:
My quick, snarky answer (having read just the title and not the posts) -- you find hosts who WANT to hold a party by talking to lots and lots of people who DON'T WANT to host a party. But, then again, you already knew that.

You always know how to tell it to me straigth!

I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. LOL!

Oh and another success for me yesterday. I called a lead from a booth from an event back in December (2010). I had tried a few times in Dec/Jan but only got her voicemail, so I figured I tried again. This time I reached her! She said she is a little busy right now, but to call in the fall. Not exactly a booking, but permission to follow up :). I just mentioned that I was trying to reach her once more since we never connected after the event :). Go on, find those old slips :)

NooraK said:
Where do you find people who are excited about doing a show, when you don't have shows on your calendar already?

I am so frustrated. Last year started out great. By this time (half-way through the year) I'd had over $10,000 in personal sales and 26 shows. It's not a huge amount, I know, but it was huge for me. This year, I'm barely over $2,000 with 6 shows, most of them catalog, and right now my calendar is pretty much empty.

I have a show scheduled for Saturday night, but the host is telling me she has no one coming, and keeps giving me reason after reason why she can't invite anyone else when I try to coach her and suggest people to invite. It's not a far drive, and I'm sure I would like hanging out with just the host if that truly happened, but I also don't like skipping out on a night I could spend with my family if it isn't going to make a monetary contribution to our budget.

I just don't know where to find people who actually want to have a party. I know they're out there, I have several local PC friends who have 2-3 parties a week, and have fantastic businesses. I feel like I'm trapped in the same list of people, and I don't want to keep bugging them to do a show if they don't want to. I don't want someone to do a favor for me. I want them to be excited and WANT to have a party. I don't want to spend my nights on the phone, calling the same list of people over and over again, not getting anywhere. If I have to be on the phone, I'd rather be doing host coaching or something.

I'm sure one of the first suggestions is to do fairs. I have nothing against doing fairs, I have some concerns. Firstly, while it is small, there is an expense. I really would like to spend as little as possible, so that I can put as much as possible into our household budget, since my husband is currently unemployed. I did two school Fall Festivals last year ($30 each, $60 total), got three bookings. Two canceled due to divorce, the third turned into a recruit (Yay! But I can't re-book her :D). I also did a holiday bazaar, and while other vendors did great, I barely scraped together enough orders to submit a show, losing money in the end because I had offered free shipping. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, because I don't seem to get that much interest.

I have a very strict "No Solicitations" policy at work, and I've actually been spoken to before about not talking PC at work, so I can't really bring it up myself.

Then there's the out-and-about contacts. Julie Ann Jones shared http://julieannejones.com/6-ways-to-errand-advertise-your-direct-sales-business recently. It's got some great tips, but I just can't seem to put them into action:
  • I work 8-5, limiting the time I have each day to go out to do this. All kinds of mommy-group stuff, for example, occurs during the day, while I'm at work and the kids are at day-care (in-home care, the babysitter is a great host, no other kids in her care currently that I could reach out to parents).
  • My kids aren't old enough yet to be involved in any kind of organized groups: Scouts, sports, etc. nor do they go to school, so I don't have those contacts
  • With kids, it's harder to go out and concentrate on contacts: I know it's not fun for them, and having to keep an eye on them makes it harder for me to be cheerful, and to pay attention to other people. Amy Neal told a great story of how she would go to the grocery store and "prowl" the aisle for contacts, but I can't take my kids to the grocery store and walk up and down the same aisle with them for hours.
  • How do I go "shopping" when I have absolutely no money to spend? This limits my ability to chat with cashiers, and I hate to lead sales people on pretending to shop when I have no intention to buy anything, especially if they're on commission
  • The best conversation starter tip I've heard is to compliment someone. But how do you keep the conversation going, and how do you turn it to PC without making it obvious that's the only reason you're talking to someone?

I feel so lost. I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, and I probably am, but I just can't seem to figure it out. I feel like the problem must be with me. It's not that there aren't people out there that want to have parties, I just can't seem to find them. Maybe these people just don't like me. Many of the trainings often say people book with you, because of you. They can get the host benefits with anyone. So my logic follows that if they don't want to book with me, it must be me. (It's really frustrating. On one hand they teach us that a no is not personal, but then they tell us that we personally are the biggest reason our customers do business with us.)I know that's not really true, but it's getting harder and harder to believe otherwise.

I kind of feel like Sharon Zelen on that call HO sent a link to. I'm doing what I think I'm supposed to be doing, but it's not working. I need someone to show me what I'm doing wrong, and how to do it right.

I'm sorry this got so long. I know there are some fabulously successful ladies out there and maybe one of you will have some idea that ends up being the switch that turns the lights on.

Most hosts don't know they WANT to have a party, until you convince them that they do, lol!

I'm jumping on an opportunity to take part in a Farmer's Market this Saturday. It's very short notice, but the gal who usually does a PC booth can't make it. Hopefully I'll find some fresh contacts :)

NooraK said:
I'm jumping on an opportunity to take part in a Farmer's Market this Saturday. It's very short notice, but the gal who usually does a PC booth can't make it. Hopefully I'll find some fresh contacts :)

Well? How did it go at the Farmer's Market?!

Since you said that your PC Business has been more hobby up until now, you may want to think about sitting down with your husband and show him your potential income if you can put some time into it. I just came back from Director Express and was pretty excited about what I can make if I just put my phone fears down and randoms "Hi are you familiar with TPC?)" while at the grocery store (even with my 3 and 1 yr olds) and bank tellers. When you do head out, just prepare mentally that you will ask one person that and see where it takes you. I am trying to prepare for that as well!

Sprink said:
Well? How did it go at the Farmer's Market?!

It went OK. I got about $130 in orders and got another order later to make it a show. Got about 7 contacts, but no one specifically indicating any particular interest.

NooraK said:
It went OK. I got about $130 in orders and got another order later to make it a show. Got about 7 contacts, but no one specifically indicating any particular interest.

Did you talk to these people? Did you fill out their draw slips for them?

NooraK said:
Maybe I'll see if I can do that. I do need to work on my show itself, so I don't get to this point again.

But, the bigger problem is that I don't have shows on my calendar, so seeing what they do won't immediately solve my current problem.

I find it difficult to find contacts at the events I've been to that are even interested in PC. Maybe I haven't been to the right events.

As for the grocery store, it still boils down to the kids. Even if I'm wearing my apron, no one wants to approach me with two toddlers taking up all my attention. Maybe I need to insist the hubby watches the kids while I go shopping.

I'd love to be able to do this, but since I have no shows, I don't have anyone to coach :D And again, not something that would work with the kids.

Maybe one of my underlying problems is my apparent inability to insist that Hubby watches the kids so that I can do these types of things. Whenever I ask that he do so, his response is along the lines of "well, then I get to go to poker night/riding my motorcycle/something else fun". It doesn't help to reason with him that those activites don't make money, because up until now my business has been more of a hobby and not a huge money maker. He seems to want to keep score on everything, and if he doesn't get as much time for himself (as he sees it) as I do, he pouts.

My husband does the same thing. I scheduled a "work night" once a week and I go to the Library for a couple hours to make calls, etc. I think I might change it to Starbucks, or somewhere more public though to get more leads!

1. How do I find hosts who want to have a party?

There are a few different approaches you can take to find potential hosts for your Pampered Chef parties. One option is to ask friends, family, and acquaintances if they would be interested in hosting a party. You can also utilize social media to reach a wider audience and ask for referrals from previous hosts. Additionally, attending vendor events or hosting a booth at a local fair or festival can help you connect with potential hosts.

2. Do I have to know the host before I can have a party at their house?

No, you do not necessarily have to know the host before hosting a party at their house. However, it may be easier to approach someone you know or have a connection with as they may be more likely to agree to host a party. If you are reaching out to someone you do not know, it's important to introduce yourself and explain the benefits of hosting a Pampered Chef party.

3. How many guests do I need for a successful party?

While there is no set number of guests that guarantees a successful party, it's generally recommended to have at least 10-12 guests in attendance. This will allow for a good group dynamic and ensure that there are enough orders to make the party worthwhile for both the host and the consultant.

4. Can I host a party at my own house?

Yes, you can definitely host a Pampered Chef party at your own house. In fact, hosting a party at your own home is a great way to showcase the products and create a comfortable and inviting atmosphere for your guests. You can also take advantage of the host rewards and discounts for hosting a party at your own house.

5. What are the benefits of hosting a Pampered Chef party?

There are many benefits to hosting a Pampered Chef party! As a host, you can earn free and discounted products, have a fun and unique experience with your friends and family, and gain access to exclusive host-only products. Additionally, you'll be supporting a small business and helping your consultant grow their business and reach their goals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kevin Ranoldo
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies