• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Stay in the Room for Business Discussions?

In summary, Anne recommends staying in the room, but listening to a CD or watching a successful recruiter in action to get ideas on how to set up a separate room if possible.
AJPratt
Silver Member
I have always stayed in the same room to take orders. However, after meeting one consutlant at conference, I'm not so sure. She mentioned that she does better with bookings and recruits because all of their friends aren't around to hear what you're discussing. I know that I was taught to stay in the room so you can hear what's going on, but I haven't had anything pan out from what I've heard in the room. So... Just wondering who does what.

I find that if I build enough excitement during my show then 1) I am doing my job and 2) it doesn't matter where I am....I will get what I need!!

I stay in the same room, but I sit away from the crowd. I like to keep what people are spending and what I am asking them private, but I like to be able to hear what is going on with the other partygoers! Generally they are talking louder than whomever I am talking to and I get to "overhear" what they are saying, plus give one on one attention to my ordering guest.

What I have found...I understand how you feel. I have felt the same way at times, wondering which option is better for my business. What I have found is..(thought I would take the opportunity to practice my "feel, felt, found":eek: )

What I have found is that when I am able to remove myself in some way from the main crowd, I have the focus of the guest, and have the opportunity to get to know her. I do try to go into a separate room if possible. I've just started doing this during the last season, and found that it really worked well for me.

I know that this method is going to work well when I'm trying the "pile up" method I've heard mentioned from my AD and here before. I couldn't imagine going through all that, and having the "piles" set up on the floor or on a couch, although I would make it work if necessary.

HTH!

I've tried both ways, and honestly, I find that if I leave the room that it never fails that someone needs to ask me a question about a product or something else. So, if I'm in the same room, it's a lot easier to hear/answer those questions rather than have them come and find me. Plus, I like to listen to what they are talking about so I can interject if need be. But -- I think you should do what feels comfortable to you. Like I said, I've tried it both ways, and I typically just play it by ear...I don't do it a set way at EACH show.
HTH

I stay in the same room but away from the crowd. I'm close enough to hear what everyone has to say or if they need something but I'm far enough that I have a little privacy to talk with the guest.

I go to another room. This allows me to talk one on one with the customer and overcome their objections. I never stop with the first no. When you stay in the same room , I find it is too easy for them to say no with a crowd behind them. I also assume they will book. I ask them what month they want to book their party? I do not ask if they want to have a party.
So far so good - I am booked through December.

For me, if I have a place where I can go and sit down away from everyone and take orders and talk to each guest one on one... The it is easier for me, but depending on where I am .. I dont' always have that option....sometimes I will just go into the kitchen and take orders if I don't have a surface to use..

Anne - I love your surveys - they always seem to be about topics I am presently mulling over.....I have always stayed in the room...but I have just been listening to a recruiting cd where a top recruiter gives some good reasons to go to a different room (some may be uncomfortable asking about recruiting info because co-workers, boss, or family may be in the room with them etc...), and I recently had the opportunity to watch a successful recruiter in action at a show - and she set up her laptop and "3-pile" system in a separate room - and gave away 4 recruiting packets! I wanted to try this at my last show - but ended up with the host's husband & kids in the other room I could have used.....but I am going to try this at my next show (where I will also be using nametags!:D )

Becky: What can I say? Great minds think alike! I have been using the three pile system, too. And when that other consultant said that people may want privacy, it made me think. I really haven't gotten any benefit out of being in the same room. I haven't overheard anyone saying anything that could lead to a booking or added sale. And, at my last show, someone asked me, "Where are you going to set up?" She looked a little surprised when I said, "Right here." I actually was already set up. Since I arrived a little earlier than usual, I was able to have my laptop ready to go.

I go where ever :eek: I try to "stay away" from the party, but I have found that some people aren't comfortable "leaving" the room. I usually end up in the same room but "in the corner" I hope that makes sense

What is the 3 pile system?

What's the pile system?

vangogirl said:
What's the pile system?
sorry brooke.....we must have been typing at the same time. :D

The 3 pile system actually starts during your demo - when you let everyone know that you will be asking them at checkout about booking their own show & taking some info about the PC opportunity. Then, when they check out, have "three piles" next to you - Host Info, Recruit Info, and Free Recipes.....I ask them "When were you thinking of having your own show?", then the next question is "Would you like some info about doing what I do?", and then after those 2 questions, thank them for coming, and say "please don't forget to take your free recipe(s) with you!
This creates a "win-win" atmosphere, and everyone leaves on a positive note - even if they have said no to booking and recruiting info.
I think it probably works best when you do set up a separate area for check-out....but if someone does this successfully while staying in the middle of the party - please chime in!:)

For me, I have a pile of "Opportunity Info", "Show Date Confirmation Cards", and "Recipe Cards".

I hold my hand over the Opp cards and say, "Would you like a little more information about PC's bussiness Opp?" (Answer questions) Moving my hand over to the next pile "Have you ever considered hosting a show of your own?", (Answer questions) then the final pile, "Well, thank you so much for your order. Here's a delicious recipe to try out." Its a reminder to ask everyone about the opp and shows.

I do it in this order because I have found that if they say no to doing a show, they most like will also say no to the opp., but I have had no's for the opp. but yes's for hosting a show. And giving them the recipe last, ends it on a positive note.

If you find a way that works better for you, I would love to hear about it!

Something else to add to my show!!! Thanks ladies!!! As usual this place as well as the cheffers inside it rock!!

Sorry feeling kinda goofey today! First day of school and all.

thank you so much ladies. I'm going to try this!

Okay, so what recipe cards are you handing out? TIA

I go into an adjoining room. I tell my hosts from my experience as a guest, people don't usually want everyone to know how much they spent, esp if they can't afford to spend a lot that day. At the show I went to, she did it all in front of us, and I didn't know the other guests that well and didn't want them to know what I spent. Funny thing is, she took me aside to discuss hosting! Weird. One way or the other, I say.

I also found that being away from the crowd makes it easier to talk about booking & recruiting, and you get the full attention. I make them call out their item numbers as I type them in.

spoiledchef said:
Okay, so what recipe cards are you handing out? TIA

Whatever I have - I use the Celebrations Recipe Cards sometimes - or I just print up my own with the recipe I am doing as a demo....plus usually one other recipe that I print up and bill as a PC favorite...- usually I try to find one that uses the upcoming host special....for September, I will be offering the recipe for Caramel Apple Bread Pudding.....but also Oven Caramel Corn that is made in the Large Roasting Pan (Nov. Host Special:) ) I am booked for Oct., so want to start promoting Nov.

How about you, Anne? What recipes do you hand out? Oh - and I like your idea about doing the Opp. question first - makes sense to me!

At a meeting last month with Karin Logston she encouraged us to have 4 piles and ask questions in this order. . . . I'm sure we will all be seeing/hearing this information very soon.

1. Did you have a great time?
2. Wasn't the recipe delicious? Didn't you love it?
3. Would you like a recipe card? (I used Mini Catalogs at my August shows)
4. Give a compliment ("you know a lot about the products", "you had great ideas about. . ." " thanks for sharing about. . .") and ask if they would like information about the business. I'm not great with coming up with a compliment on the spot but I know some of you will find this very easy.
5. When can I come to your home and cook for you and your friends?
6. Do you know someone who is getting married?

The first three questions are to get them on a "yes" answer roll. Then see what happens with the next three. Karin wants us to ask the recruiting question before the show question. If they don't want to have a show with you they probably aren't interested in working with you.

Because I've started doing this at my shows, I like to go into another room so that I can quietly talk to each guest.

I almost always stay in the same room, but I do my best to remove myself from the mail crowd. This allows me to talk semi-privately with the guest, while still making myself available to answer questions.

I actually think this is more private. The few times I've gone to another room, people lined up to complete their orders. This puts 3 or 4 people in a quiet area while I'm discussing payment, show scheduling, and/or recruiting with a guest. If I'm in the same room as everyone else, they can sit and talk until they see that I'm free. The chatter also masks the conversation I'm having so it's a little more difficult to overhear.

Becky: I just hand out whatever cards I happen to have.

chefjeanine: Thanks for sharing that!

I really think that I am going to scout out a more private area for my check out.

I like finding another room to take orders because I can't concentrate on what the person is saying when there are other guests trying to get my attention. Some people are very forward and come to the "ordering area" and stand there waving their order sheet in front of me.(literally). WHILE I am booking a show or just chatting while tallying up the order. THAT gets me frustrated! So I just tell whomever it is that I will be with them as soon as I can .. they usually just leave their orders there and a few have left their checkbooks (no kidding) so I can fill out the check for them!!! Can you imagine? Of course i don't but... geez. These are older women though and I just figure they have no interest in hosting (though I do ask of course) and just want to go home.

Whew.. vent vent. It has been a really horrid summer though and I haven't had any parties because I just couldn't wrap my head around talking to anyone about it so if I don't move it I am probably going to lose my FD pos.

ahh feel better now!

chefjeanine said:
The first three questions are to get them on a "yes" answer roll.

This is exactly what I had heard. Get them to say Yes first. Did you have a great time (yes) would you like a copy of today's recipe (yes) would you like to book a show? so on.

I tend to go to another room for all the reasons above. Privacy for the customer and more time for me to have one on one. I do have to say that I, myself, get tongue tied when too many people are around the table as they are checking out. I feel funny asking the same questions to everyone, so I think I'm going to have to tell them upfront thats what I am doing. This way I dont feel uncomfortable.

Thanks for starting this Anne!

Tina, I'm really glad I started this thread, too! I really think I may move to a more private area.

Momma23boys: And, yes, even though I would suggest people leave their form, and I would call them, they still hover. Maybe they are just nosy.

I have been doing it in the same room. It has been very difficult because I usually end up doing two or three things at the same time and not paying enough attention to the person checking out. I usually have one little corner of the table to add orders on, and feel very uncomfortable and rushed! I don't know why it never occured to me to go into a different room or area. Thanks! I guess this is one of those DUH! moments in my life:)

I like the idea about the piles to remind me to talk to each guest about the business and bookings. I am too quick to judge people on what I think they would want.

I prefer to go to a different room myself. At one of my cluster meetings the topic was discussed about providing more hands on customer service by staying in the same room. I tell my guests that if they have any questions please feel free to ask that I will be (wherever I am set up). I know that when I am shopping I don't like to feel like I am being hovered over but glad to know that someone is close by should I need help.
Valerie

gilliandanielle said:
I like the idea about the piles to remind me to talk to each guest about the business and bookings. I am too quick to judge people on what I think they would want.
OMG We just had this discussion at our cluster meeting last night. My director, Dawn, and probably best friend, is a DOCTOR'S wife and run his practice. He is well known in the area, and is very respected. Who would have ever thought SHE would want to do THIS? So, when I think about judging someone, I think of Dawn.

Related to Should I Stay in the Room for Business Discussions?

1. Should I always stay in the same room for business discussions?

There is no one answer to this question as it ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific dynamics of your business. Some people find it beneficial to stay in the same room for business discussions as it allows them to hear and contribute to the conversation, while others may find it distracting or unproductive. It may be helpful to experiment with both options and see what works best for you and your team.

2. What are the potential benefits of staying in the room for business discussions?

Staying in the room for business discussions can allow you to actively participate in the conversation, ask questions, and provide input. It also ensures that you are up-to-date on any decisions or updates made during the discussion. Additionally, being present in the room can help build rapport and strengthen relationships with your colleagues or clients.

3. On the other hand, what are the potential drawbacks of staying in the room for business discussions?

Staying in the room may also have its disadvantages. It can be distracting if there are multiple conversations happening simultaneously, and you may not have the opportunity to fully focus on the discussion at hand. Additionally, some people may feel uncomfortable sharing their thoughts or opinions in front of others, leading to a less productive meeting.

4. How does leaving the room during business discussions affect productivity and decision-making?

Leaving the room during business discussions can have both positive and negative impacts on productivity and decision-making. On one hand, it can provide a more private and focused environment for more sensitive or personal discussions. On the other hand, it may delay the decision-making process as important information or perspectives may be missed if not present in the room. It is important to weigh these factors and consider the purpose and nature of the discussion when deciding whether to stay in the room or not.

5. What is the best approach for determining whether to stay in the room for business discussions?

The best approach is to consider the purpose and dynamics of the particular business discussion. If it is a casual chat or brainstorming session, staying in the room may be more beneficial. However, if it is a confidential or sensitive matter, leaving the room may be more appropriate. It may also be helpful to communicate with your team or colleagues beforehand to reach a consensus on the best approach for the specific discussion.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • skaugchef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies