• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Love Going to Work and Not Getting Paid!

In summary, the speaker has been experiencing frustrations with their home office leads, with two recent instances of no sales despite having a room full of guests. Despite host coaching and efforts to follow up, the speaker has been unable to secure orders from these leads. This has been a recurring issue in the fall, with only a few people ordering at shows and a decrease in sales average. The speaker is unsure if they are looking for advice, a place to vent, or commiseration, but is feeling upset and frustrated with the situation. Others in the conversation offer sympathy and share similar experiences.
chefsteph07
Since I scrolled down to see where I shoud put this and didn't see a "B!TCH" category, I guess it's going here bc I don't even know what to say about all this.

This is the SECOND time since Oct 15 that I have done a show for a home office lead and gotten NO SALES out of it. The first one had a roomful of guests, I made fajitas, everyone was happy but then invevitably, each guest, one by one, got up, catalog in hand and said "I'll give Suzie host my order on x day"...I was a little surprised but not alarmed at the time, I assumed since my host had a room full of people there, she would follow up and get her orders like she needed to. I was in contact w/ her for about a week, she's gathering orders, yada yada, gave her a close date and that date came and went, etc...I finally let it go about 2 weeks after that and told her that I needed to know what was going on, etc and she told me that she didn't even care about getting anything for herself, she had so much in her life going on at the time, blah blah blah and she would get back w me if she got any orders. Well, I did try to reach her about every other day for a week and then just let it go...so that was a day that I went to work and got NOTHING. I was totally MAD!!!!

Now, tonight I had a show...same thing, home office lead, she told me she was expecting 10 guests. I have been host coaching her like a good consultant, etc, talked to her about every other day for the last 2 weeks, including this afternoon, I get there and ONE guest shows. ONE! ONE! So, what do I do, I go about my demo for this ONE person, and as I am getting ready to leave, it is becoming evident that she is not going to order so I flat out asked her about it, she said she was going to take a book home and order over the weekend. WHATEVER!

I am at my wits end. I have been doing this for 7 yrs and have not had the frustrations combined in those 7 yrs as I have been having this fall. Another situation that is becoming common is that I will have 10-12 guests in a room and only 5 people order. And no, they are NOT combining orders! My host coaching lately had included advising my hosts to not invite people she suspects are not to order. I know that is faux pas for us, but it does the host NO good if she has a room full of people and 3 place orders! I even have a show this coming Sunday where my host told me "I just told everyone to come, they dont have to order as long as there are bodies in the seats that's all that matters"!!!! :eek: I am getting so fed up I don't know what to do about this anymore. My sales average has PLUMMETTED because of this. Right now, a $300 show is like a 1k show! Hey, I'm just happy if I leave w/ orders, let alone if they QUALIFY! Know what I mean? I am fit to be tied here and I feel like I have been totally wasting my time lately.

I don't know if I'm looking for advice, a place to vent, or some commonality that this has been happening to any of you...but being in this as long as I have, I thought I had seen it all....I have duds every so often, but come on, this is getting ridiculous! It's almost getting to the point where I'm dreading going to shows because I honestly don't know what is going to happen. It is NOT my host coaching skills. I cannot make someone order, I cannot drag people off the streets to be guests when my host expects a neighborhood and no one comes. I'm so upset right now.

Steph, I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. That's horrible. I can't imagine two leads so close together both fizzling like that. I believe you that you're coaching well. You have a good history. I have no advice--just sympathy.

Yup -- don't know about HO leads. Recruits in Aug and Sept -- neither have done anything. The mom of one of them was a consultant at one time. I'm beginning to suspect she coached her daughter this is a good way to get $500+ of product for $155! :mad:

Sandi

This business is so up and down. I know after 7 years you've been through it before. Ther are times when it seems like no matter what the shows suck. You do everything the exact same from host coaching to demo. Then, as if someone fliped a switch, you shows turn around and will all be $1,000 again. You just have to hold on and push through this and wait for that switch. Because, I'm sure you know it WILL come back.

Vent away! You've been a consultant for a long time, and gained a lot of experience and success. It's only the law of averages that you'll have some clunker shows. I don't blame you for being upset, but don't lose your momentum over it either.

I'm sorry! I had a clunker show last night!!!!! Two guests, and there had been 8 confirmed guests. Supposedly the host is getting outside orders and closing Sunday night. We shall see. I did my demo, sold $80.00 worth of stuff to one buying guest.

I just used my night as a time to practice, it did feel like a waste of time.

I host coached last nights nost and todays host the same exact way. (Actually last nights host was even more excited because she needs new stones, and today's host does not cook). Last night's was practically crying because everyone cancelled at the last minute.

Today's host has $200 in outside orders already! But only 4 guests. We shall see, I'm using it again as a 'practice' for my skills.

I have ONE show for Decemeber, but a few for January. I need to get more!!!

I had a couple like that a few months ago. They were leads from a booth. I finally added them onto my email and walked away from the group. They all wanted to host, but after driving about 30 min 2 different times, I just said no. Two of them were interested in the business and told them that I wasn't doing anymore shows for them, but I would be happy to train them and help them do their own shows.

Do you all think it's because of the Economy? I notice at my show's people are being tight.

Vent away!

I definitely think it's the economy. A lot of people are out of work, or they have found other jobs, but it's one that barely pays the bills. It's been my experience that when a host tells her guest the bit about not worrying if they don't place an order, that is code speak that she knows some of them (or maybe their spouse) is out of work.

I know what you mean about a $300 show being a huge success these days....woo hoo here is a host who finally gets a 1/2 price item!

It's not just you. On the bright side, you have gotten your name out there. Maybe in a year or two they will have better jobs and want you to do a show.

mahlon007 said:
Do you all think it's because of the Economy? I notice at my show's people are being tight.

I really do believe that's what it is...........I hate to say that. I've been very set on not letting myself believe that the economy is having a negative effect on my business but I really think more and more people are using home business "parties" as a way to entertain themselves and their friends. At first it was more, this is how we can still have fun together and shop for things we need. Now it's more, this is how we can have fun together, be entertained and have someone cook for us.

I'm sorry you are going through this and I think we are all going to go through it every now and then. Just keep chugging along.

I agree it may be the economy. I can def see it in the different circles. The nurses, Dr.'s wives, and teachers haven't slowed down (jobs that will always be there), but business people, especially self-employeed are much more cautious. On the other hand, I have had people having shows to buy Christmas Gifts as a discount.

I think the economy has started to take an effect. I've noticed lots of people cxl or just not booking b/c their friends just don't have $ to spend. It's frustrating. However, after what seemed like a long string of "loser" shows I had a great weekend. Over 3,000 in sales in 2 days. You just need to find the right circle!

Here's my advice to host at the end of a show:

I want you to call everyone who wasn't able to make it tonight from your guest list. Here's what you are going to say: Hi xxx, this is xxx. We had my PC show last night and made this awesome xxxx. "I didn't want to leave you out, was there something you wanted?"

I then explain to the host that by saying the key phrase (and I repeat it again) they are making their friends feel important. It also takes the pressure off the host so she doesn't feel like she's calling and saying Order something. It's amazing how well it works. I also tell the host that those who don't want to order something will let her know but there will be those who wanted to order and just haven't gotten around to it. I left a show 1hr from my house with 108 in sales, but 4 bookings. I was looking on the bright side of things--the bookings. The host listened to me and did the calls and close her show over $700! You never know! Plus, 2 wks later 1 of the bookings has already held.

Hope things start to look up for you.....b/c we all know they will. Hang in there!

I feel for you, Steph - and am from the same geographic area. I did a show last Sunday - 4 guests came and at one point left me and went to the basement to watch the Browns game - as their SO's called them down there. One person ordered - 3 were to get back. By Thursday of this week, that one had cancelled her order and we lost the whole show. Just going to bless and release and move on.:grumpy:

One thing that has been helping my shows that do hold is the gift brochure. People are thinking they need to limit what they buy because they need to buy gifts for others. I think once they get shopping for others, they see things along the way that they want for themselves too. So they wind up with a little for so and so, a little for me... it's been helping my shows a lot!

Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement! I had another show yesterday....5 guests, one actually placed an order, the others said they were going to so I have to believe them. I know the host wants a few things so I think she will be on them and also getting orders from work. I just hate not having ANY idea how my month is going to end up! I guess it will be a surprise! :grumpy:
I have my last show of the month today...this is the one where I said in my orirignal post that the host said to just come, it doesn't matter if you order or not...as of Friday she had NO IDEA how many people were coming, she was going to see alot of them at church this morning. I am making enough for 10, so we shall see. I am doing a pantry party so I don't think I'm going to feel as I am doing as much work-wise, so that may cushion the blow...ha ha
I"ll keep you all posted....;)

Hope it goes well for you. ++++

Fingers crossed that this show does well!

We're cheering for you!

I hope todays's show went well! My show yesterday went much better, and I just got a $200 order to add on to Fridays show.

Let us know how it goes!!!

I wonder if it would make a difference to coach the host that you will close the day of the party? That way, you can comfortably say to the guests that you will need them to place their order that night. You can always extend it from there, but if you set the expectation with the host, she'll set the same expectation with her guests.

What is "I Love Going to Work and Not Getting Paid!"?

"I Love Going to Work and Not Getting Paid!" is a popular slogan used by Pampered Chef consultants to express their passion for their job and the perks they receive, such as free products, discounts, and flexible working hours.

Why do Pampered Chef consultants love going to work even though they don't get paid?

Pampered Chef consultants love going to work because they are able to build relationships with their customers, share their love for cooking and kitchen tools, and be a part of a supportive and fun community. The perks and incentives they receive also make it a rewarding experience.

Do Pampered Chef consultants ever get paid for their work?

Yes, Pampered Chef consultants do get paid for their work. They earn a commission on every product they sell and can also earn bonuses and rewards based on their performance. However, the "I Love Going to Work and Not Getting Paid!" slogan is meant to highlight the other benefits of being a consultant, beyond just the financial aspect.

What are some of the perks that Pampered Chef consultants receive?

Pampered Chef consultants receive free and discounted products, flexible working hours, access to exclusive training and resources, and the opportunity to earn trips, bonuses, and rewards. They also get to be a part of a supportive and fun community of like-minded individuals.

How can I become a Pampered Chef consultant and start loving going to work without getting paid?

If you are interested in becoming a Pampered Chef consultant, you can sign up on their website or reach out to a current consultant for more information. You will need to purchase a starter kit and complete training before you can start hosting parties and earning perks. But remember, the slogan is just a fun way to express the joy of being a Pampered Chef consultant – you will still get paid for your hard work!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LBurke
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • skaugchef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • Bren706