• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mastering Recipe Demos: Tips and Tricks for Successful Cooking Shows

In summary, there are different approaches to doing demonstrations at Pampered Chef shows. Some consultants prefer to have the recipe prepared before guests arrive and focus on showcasing products, while others still do live demonstrations. Hosts may have preferences for how they want the demonstration to be done, and some consultants have found success with preparing the recipes ahead of time and keeping the demo simple and fast. However, there are also concerns about staying true to the recipes and products while also maintaining a healthy diet as a consultant.
Kathytnt
I love pulling the wonderful recipe out of the oven and serving it but sometimes doing the whole demo in front of people is a little tough. I know people love to eat at the shows

How many of you get stuck in a room where you are so far from people they can't even see what you are preparing.

I also feel like I am always having to bring the recipe ingredients or the hostess forgets (even with host coaching)

How many people are doing recipes ahead or catalog walk-thoughs I heard Tom Marston doesn't do a demo but I am not sure how he actually does his shows

Let's discuss!

I have been trying to have the recipe pretty much done before the guests arrive and they do usually appreciate it. I talk through the recipe and air demo some of the products.

I do have some hosts who WANT the food cooked in front of the guests or have a lot of never been before guests. I do the demo for sure then.

ASK which they prefer.

I never allow myself to be in a different room - even for checkout if I can help it. I carry a table that I can set up in the family room if the kitchen is small. It always seems to work out. If they insist you use the kitchen do it with the guests standing around. They need to see things in action and that kind of show also encourages hands on for guests.

Hey!

This is my second go around with Pampered Chef...the first time I sold it (4 years ago) I had just had a baby so it was a little difficult. I signed up again a little over a year ago and love it!!!!

I have been trying something different my last 5 shows...I have been preparing the recipes at home before hand and when I get to the hostesses house I just set all the products out. The only thing I do at the hostesses house is make the Garlic biscuits in the Saute Pan before anyone gets there so that everyone asks what that wonderful smell is when they walk in. :D I talk about the majority of the products and I have the guests interact by letting me know if they have a particular product that I am talking about...that way they are pretty much selling the products for me (and I pass the products around so they can touch them).

My shows have not been under $600 since doing this and three of them were close to $1000. I have also had people come up to me and say they were thinking of not coming because the last show they went to took so long...they actually thank me and end up booking a show as long as I do it exactly the same way! I also supply the ingredients since I chose what they are going to have and I keep it simple. Now I am not saying that I will never do another demonstration...I offer that to all the guests but it seems lately people just want to have fast and simple.

I hope this helps!
Tammy

Tammy, I have been wanting to do it that way for awhile now, but just can't seem to get there! How do you sell the idea to hosts? What do you say in host coaching so they choose that? What kind of recipes are you doing? I agree about the garlic bread--that has been a HUGE hit at my shows! I've been doing that as my 2nd recipe since November.

Have you ever come across a host that WANTS a demo?

I REALLY enjoy the demo aspect of my shows, but am thinking that for my last trimester (starting in January) that I might do these. Something along the line of having the recipe made ahead of time; doing a "catalog walk through" that incorporates the products I used the make the recipe, having the guests write the recipe down so they can take it home, and then doing a microwave cake in the rice cooker.

I'm still toying with the idea, but as December progresses, it sure does look more and more promising!

What's the difference between garlic bread and the garlic bites - the bites recipe I had has way too much butter I whole The biscuits have so much fat already

It's hard staying on my diet and being a consultant

Kathytnt said:
What's the difference between garlic bread and the garlic bites - the bites recipe I had has way too much butter I whole The biscuits have so much fat already

I think it's the same recipe. The pull aparts. I only use 1/2 a stick of butter in mine & could probably get away with less.

I would love more info on how a show like this is done. I notice that most of the guests at my shows just really want to eat & talk. I am kind of tired of doing a demo too. Plus I'm going to be trying to get pregnant soon (or may already be--will find out this week) & it's hard enough on my back now doing the demo & carrrying all those crates in (I bring the food too).

I have been doing this for a while, and it really pays off. My shows are pretty much what Tammy described, except I play a few games. I still bring too much stuff, but I feel like if I have it I should bring it. I am starting my second trimester, and my back is killing me!! I started this because I was tired of doing the demo and having NO ONE listen, or not selling any of the products that I had shown. My average show is $780, so it is working for me!

I make the garlic bites with half a stick of butter and two cloves of garlic because I like butter and garlic, but the original recipe for the garlic bites includes 1/4 stick of butter, and even that can be considered overkill by some guests.

pamperedgirl3 said:
Tammy, I have been wanting to do it that way for awhile now, but just can't seem to get there! How do you sell the idea to hosts? What do you say in host coaching so they choose that? What kind of recipes are you doing? I agree about the garlic bread--that has been a HUGE hit at my shows! I've been doing that as my 2nd recipe since November.

Well, it started when I had a host have a show scheduled during the morning (11:00 am) and she said she had people coming at different times so I mentioned just making everything ahead at my house and not really do the demo but have the products available to look at. She loved the idea. I made the Green Chile Fritta in the 12" Family Skillet and the Sticky Caramel Mini Cakes. That show was over $900 and only 10-12 people came. After that whenever I would schedule a show I would tell the host I have a new way to do the show where it does not take as long but people still get to taste the food and see the products. I kind of sell them on the idea that it is a benefit to have a show this way because I supply all the ingredients and it saves them a trip to the grocery store having to look for everything on my list. Also I really push the time factor because it really does cut down on time. When the guests arrive I let them know that this show is going to be different than your normal PC show and that the food has already been prepared. They get their food before the show even begins and you should see the excitement in their faces. I still demonstrate some of the items. Now if I have a host really want a demo I will do the demo. Other recipes I have done are the Chocolate Pecan Lattice Tart, Chicken Enchilada Ring (I will actually get to the hosts house early and cook it there), and the Banana Split Brownie Pizza.

Also, like Gillian I play games...the got it, love it or want it, got to have it is one of my favorites.

As for the garlic bread (bites) I only use 1 tablespoon of butter and they taste wonderful. If you have the Executive Cookware display cards the recipe is on the backside of it and it uses 1 tablespoon. I use to use 1/2 stick of butter and that was just way too much.:eek:

Tammy

Kathytnt said:

I guess I read that recipe wrong when I first made it because I only used a Tablespoon of butter!!!
They were Fabulous and I had no idea I had did something wroing.
Then.....
I go to one of my recruits first shows and she is doing the garlic bites from the recipe I emailed her and she puts a stick of butter in!!!!
I am watching and thinking, "What is this girl doing!?!"
Well, I pulled her over after and said nicely that I think she made a mistake and it's only supposed to be....yada yada yada....
and she shows me the recipe and says nope, it says a stick right here!
well, holy cow :eek:
I always do things in the Executive to show that it cooks well and it's non stick is fabulous, I mean I could make the garlic bites in my sneaker with a stick of butter and they wouldn't stick!
I just use a tablespoon, try it, it's better for your butt! :D

I think I will start using less butter. Maybe 2 tablespoons & go down from there as needed. It does always seem like too much butter! EVERYONE at my shows always wants the recipe!

Tammy, what recipes do you demo if the host wants a demo? Something quick? Bake or no bake? I don't have anymore shows this month, so I wanted to tweak it now before my shows in January.

Gillian, I'm tired of no one paying attention too! Or they all pay attention & no one buys anything! I'd rather just make the food ahead of time & talk about the products. Plus lately the tables I've been at haven't been very big for a demo. I too tend to take too much! I'm trying to scale down, but it never fails that someone wants to see what I don't have!

I was having one recipe done as everyone got there & after intros they'd eat & I'd do the demo. My sales at those shows were high. Maybe I'll just have it all done & do have it, love it.

The pullaparts recipe from here does say a stick, but i have been thinking it's too much and plan to try 1/2 or 1/4 as y'all suggest next time!

lisacb77 said:
The pullaparts recipe from here does say a stick, but i have been thinking it's too much and plan to try 1/2 or 1/4 as y'all suggest next time!

I use a large roll of the Grands biscuits, 1/2 stick of butter, 1-2 cloves of garlic, sprinkle a bit of Italian seasoning, and grate a bit of Parm cheese (microplane grater) and do mine in my 10 inch skillet.

I would love to do this at all my shows to get in and out of there quicker! I guess I should ask the host each time and see if they mind?

What are some good recipes that you can make up at home & take to the host's home--either done or to pop in the oven? Can you premake a ring & put it in the oven at the home, or will the crust not cook right? I want to stop taking so many ingredients. I think that's what is just the little bit too much in my crates--I'd rather use the room to show products.

Also, any ideas for games? I'm already thinking have it, love it--any others?

Thanks Becky
ChefBeckyD said:
I use a large roll of the Grands biscuits, 1/2 stick of butter, 1-2 cloves of garlic, sprinkle a bit of Italian seasoning, and grate a bit of Parm cheese (microplane grater) and do mine in my 10 inch skillet.

I have never made these. My family loves monkey bread (pull apart with br sugar) but Im going to try these in the 10" skillet, probably why I didnt try them before. Pans too small ;)

Recipes to shareGarlic = savory, or apple cinnamon = sweet. Check out the attachment! Change info to your own...

Attachments

• Biscuit Appetizer.doc
    120 KB · Views: 277
Okay, so I made the garlic pull apart bread in the saute pan for my open house last night. I took it out of the oven with an oven mitt and realized that it wasn't done so I picked up the pan and opened the oven and suddenly realized that my hand was burning. I forgot about the oven mitt because I am not used to the handles on my pans being HOT! I have blisters covering a large portion of my hand and had to sit at the open house with an ice pack on it the whole time. Feels much better today, and I am really happy that I did not do that at a host's house! So be careful...the handle is HOT! (my husband had a field day laughing at me!)
Anyway, I am definitely going to try preparing the recipe ahead of time. At my last show I was making Choc. Chip Canoli Dip and Sweet and crispy tortilla chips because the host wanted something fast and easy because they were all going shopping after. When I arrived she had a buffet of food, and was making an egg casserole in the oven, and had to ask her 3 times to pull her casserole out so I could make the PC food! I was so annoyed! and to top it off she has one of the smoke detecters that are wired in to the house and since her egg casserole was overflowing the detecter went off all through my demo! So, I will be offering a no demo show from now on.

If you cook the food before the guests arrive do you let them eat while you're talking about the products or do you make them wait? Also, I read something about a game like it, love it, what is that?

toneybug said:
If you cook the food before the guests arrive do you let them eat while you're talking about the products or do you make them wait? Also, I read something about a game like it, love it, what is that?

If the food is done when they get there, I have them eat first.

For the game, when you talk about a product, the first person to say they have it & love it (I also let them say they love it & want to get it) gets a Hershey kiss or something. The one with the most at the end wins. It's a good indicator of who to talk to about the opportunity.

1. How do I keep my audience engaged during a recipe demo?

One of the best ways to keep your audience engaged during a recipe demo is by interacting with them. Ask them questions, involve them in the cooking process, and encourage them to participate. Additionally, using visuals, such as step-by-step photos or videos, can also help to keep their attention.

2. What are some tips for making a recipe demo visually appealing?

To make your recipe demo visually appealing, try using colorful ingredients and incorporating different textures. You can also use various kitchen tools and utensils to add visual interest. Additionally, make sure to have a clean and organized cooking space, and use attractive serving dishes and platters.

3. How can I make sure my recipe demo runs smoothly?

One way to ensure a smooth recipe demo is by practicing beforehand. Familiarize yourself with the recipe and have all the necessary ingredients and tools ready before starting. It's also helpful to have a backup plan in case something goes wrong, such as a burnt dish or missing ingredient.

4. How do I handle mistakes during a recipe demo?

Mistakes can happen during a recipe demo, and it's important to handle them gracefully. If something goes wrong, don't panic and try to fix it if possible. You can also use humor to diffuse the situation and keep your audience engaged. Remember that mistakes can happen, and it's all part of the learning process.

5. What are some ways to make the recipe demo memorable for my audience?

To make your recipe demo memorable, try to make a personal connection with your audience. Share personal anecdotes or stories related to the recipe, and make sure to engage with them throughout the demo. You can also provide them with recipe cards or take-home samples to help them remember the dish long after the demo is over.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sarahsellcm
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • susanr613
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • nickywsn