• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Returning to Work After Surgery: Dealing with Unexpected Demands and Job Stress

I've been on a LOA for the last 2 1/2 weeks because I had surgery on September 7. My return to work date is scheduled for October 8. Today I got an email from my boss asking me to call into a training class next week (yes, while I'm still on leave) because my attendance is critical and "I don't want to have to reschedule it again." Um. Hello. You knew for two months I would be out for a month. What's with "Don't want to reschedule it again?" You shouldn't have scheduled it in the first place for when I was going to be gone. Not only that, I'm not sure he can even legally ask me to
Jean DeVries
Gold Member
So, I've been on a LOA for the last 2 1/2 weeks because I had surgery on September 7. My return to work date is scheduled for October 8.

Today I got an email from my boss asking me to call into a training class next week (yes, while I'm still on leave) because my attendance is critical and "I don't want to have to reschedule it again."

Um. Hello. You knew for two months I would be out for a month. What's with "Don't want to reschedule it again?" You shouldn't have scheduled it in the first place for when I was going to be gone. Not only that, I'm not sure he can even legally ask me to attend a work function while on medical leave.

I absolutely dread going back to work in a week and a half. Anyone got any really good paying jobs in Michigan that could use a smart, well educated, jack of all trades with communication and teaching degrees?

(Besides PC consultant, of course :)

Last edited:
If there were any jobs like that to be had in Michigan - the line of applicants would be out the door and down the street!
Did you know Michigan is #1? Yep - #1 in Unemployment.....officially the highest in the nation. I think it's making employers braver about mistreating employees - because they know there are so many others out there waiting to be hired.:grumpy:
((((((((hugs!)))))))))

Don't have any advice...just wanted to say I am sorry you are dealing with that! How crappy...on leave and you shouldn't even have to be THINKING about your job, let alone calling in for training!!

Yup...it is CRAPPY here in MI... with that.. it gives us an AMAZING opportunity to share our biz with others! At every show I stress the fact that PC has Health Insurance and IRA (both of which I have through PC). I just had a girl join to get health insurance. Her husband walked out and will only insure himself and the kids... not her. It's cheaper for her to get it through PC than it is for her to get through the bank she works at (and she's in corporate!).

Here's a story I love that illustrates that it's all how we look at things:

Two shoe sales reps were sent to Africa to survey the potential of selling their shoes there. The first rep calls his boss and says, "No business here... no one wears shoes." The second rep calls the same boss and says, "Unlimited opportunity here! No one wears shoes!!!!"

Now... back to the original post. Since you are on leave, you're not required to attend. And yes, your boss did know about your absence and it was poor planning on his part (Which is NOT your problem). Basically the decision is yours... if it's critical to attend, then do it. Just know that if you give in, they will ask more of you next time (been there, done that, have doormat stamped on my forehead!). Keep us posted on what you decide... sit on it a day or two and then decide. Good luck!

finley1991 said:
Here's a story I love that illustrates that it's all how we look at things:

Two shoe sales reps were sent to Africa to survey the potential of selling their shoes there. The first rep calls his boss and says, "No business here... no one wears shoes." The second rep calls the same boss and says, "Unlimited opportunity here! No one wears shoes!!!!"
This exactly illustrates why I am the PC consultant and not my husband. He sees the small show as a waste of time. I see it as an opportunity to make more contacts. Back when it was possible, I had a $60 show that was 140 miles round trip. He was "you should quit, it's not worth it". I was "I got a booking". From that $60 show I had several others $400, $600, $1000, $600... Averaging it out it was way worth my time thank you!

I am going to use your story at my next training - I have a couple of people who are struggling for bookings and all our brainstorming, etc. aren't doing it. Maybe this story will make a difference for them. THANKS!

Happy to help! :)

Jean - if you chose not to attend, be sure to document the whole situation for your notes. When you notified him of your leave, reason for it, when/how he asked you to attend, reasons for not attending, etc. (Just in case...)He has no right to force you during medical leave or hold it against anything in the future, but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

OK, so here's the hysterical ending.....So I emailed HR just to see if it was kosher that I call in (and to passive-aggressively narc him out), and they said that I could.

I then emailed my boss to let him know that I had emailed HR.

I got an email back that said, "We'll reschedule."

I sent an email back saying, "No need. HR said it was OK. I'll call in." (I decided to do this because 1.) getting 20 people's schedule together to be at a training is almost impossible, and 2.) sitting with the phone listening while on mute and doing other things like reading mags or surfing the 'net is far preferable to having it postponed and actually having to sit through it in person)

Co-worker sends out an email that it is going to be postponed and rescheduled.

I email coworker back and say, "How come? I told him I could call in."

Here's the piece de resistance - I get an email back that says, "He had a meeting he couldn't get out of, so that's why he rescheduled."

Nice. Way to lay the guilt on me.

Thanks for all of your support. Just thought you'd like your laugh of the day. I know I enjoyed it!

Augh!!
What a pain in the patoot!

So, as a fellow Michigander, how thrilled are you that the state imcome tax will be going up and there will be sales tax on some additional services that were previously exempt?
:yuck:

Sounds like your governor and our governor are sleeping together.Our guy never met a tax he didn't love.

chefann said:
So, as a fellow Michigander, how thrilled are you that the state imcome tax will be going up and there will be sales tax on some additional services that were previously exempt?
:yuck:

Don't get us started!!!!!

I think your boss is a weenie for putting the guilt on you!!!!

I agree on the weenie assessment!
hotdog.gif
Or, as DH would say, assessment.

I'm glad the income tax didn't go all the way back up where some legislators wanted to take it. But the list of now-taxable services makes no sense. Skiing related items are included, but not golf. What? :confused: They can at least be consistent.

chefann said:
hotdog.gif

I'm glad the income tax didn't go all the way back up where some legislators wanted to take it. But the list of now-taxable services makes no sense. Skiing related items are included, but not golf. What? :confused: They can at least be consistent.

The irony of it all is that, listening to the news this morning, as they interviewed the different "lawmakers".....The Democrats are blaming the Republicans, and the Republicans are blaming the Democrats.
Nice to know that it's all just business as usual!

51GQ6WP2CML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
You can find it at Amazon - I have a copy of one called How To Work For A Jerk but I couldn't find an image of it.

chefann said:
hotdog.gif

Lawmakers don't ski - but they all golf.

ChefBeckyD said:
The irony of it all is that, listening to the news this morning, as they interviewed the different "lawmakers".....The Democrats are blaming the Republicans, and the Republicans are blaming the Democrats.
Nice to know that it's all just business as usual!
I wondered if there was a difference in the coverage you were seeing, because you're in the "red" part of the state, and I'm in the "blue." But it sounds like you're hearing the same things we are.

and you're right... same-old same-old.

finley1991 said:
Don't get us started!!!!!

Well I got a kick out of this morning on our news it said that your lawmakers learned from our lawmakers to make a decision and not shut down the state like ours did a few months ago.

chefann said:
I wondered if there was a difference in the coverage you were seeing, because you're in the "red" part of the state, and I'm in the "blue." But it sounds like you're hearing the same things we are.

and you're right... same-old same-old.

The BIGGEST news was that all of the party stores were running out of liquor(because of the fear of a govt. shutdown, and no more liquor dist.)......the funniest quote in the paper yesterday was from a Convenience Store owner who said: "It's okay, I tell people not to be worried. Once Jennifer's liquor is gone, she's going to need some more.".........That just cracked me up for some reason!

On Friday afternoon, the top story on the local news was, obviously, the potential shut-down. But rather than focusing on things that would really matter, they were focusing on people having to purchase lottery tickets in advance just in case of a shutdown, and folks needing to stock up on liquor. And then they wonder why Detroit has such a bad reputation - BECAUSE YOU PERPETUATE IT, YOU MORONS!!! (sorry- little frustrated at local media)

chefann said:
On Friday afternoon, the top story on the local news was, obviously, the potential shut-down. But rather than focusing on things that would really matter, they were focusing on people having to purchase lottery tickets in advance just in case of a shutdown, and folks needing to stock up on liquor. And then they wonder why Detroit has such a bad reputation - BECAUSE YOU PERPETUATE IT, YOU MORONS!!! (sorry- little frustrated at local media)

Ha! See - that was one of the top stories over here too! That, and the State Parks having to shut down.....since this is Tourist Country on the west side of the state! Now, if they had said hunting licenses wouldn't be issued.....there would have really been an outcry over here! Bow season is right around the corner!

Actually, there are enough hunters around here, too, that there would have been a huge stink about that.

I have to admit, I did buy two cases of wine on Saturday. :D Wasn't sure how long the "shut down" would last, so I wanted to be covered. The good news is that now I'm all stocked up!

And yes... what an uproar over the hunting licenses... I guess the hunters would have to find another thing {politicians} to hunt.

If you need some help consuming that wine before it goes bad....

;)

DH and his buddy considered stopping for beer on the way home from dinner Friday, since they occasionally indulge while they're working on the cars. But they decided that the 8 beers in the fridge would be plenty.

OY THEY!!! talk about a pain in the rear!!!

Macroeconomics Lab 101You folks in Michigan are about to prove a point.

There is no doubt (ask any economist) that the way to increase tax revenue and built a roaring economy is to reduce taxes, thus putting more money in the hands of the general public. The way to reduce tax revenue and strangle an economy is to increase taxes.

Why does this seemingly contrary action work this way?

When taxes are reduced, more money is in the hands of the general public and investors. The cash flows from consumer to merchant to wholesaler to manufacturer/distributor and all of them add jobs and employees - thereby increasing the tax stream in the form of sales taxes and income taxes from increased employment.

When taxes are increased, less money is in the hands of the general public and investors, so they clam up and don't spend money they do not have. The reduction in cash flow results in loss of business for merchants, who buy less from wholesalers, who, in turn, stop buying from manufacturers. They end up laying off people, and the reduction of jobs reduces the stream of cash to the government.

As clear as this is, and although it has been proven time and time again, some politicians are short sighted and see the quick fix, ignoring the long term problems they are causing.

There is even a private sector example in the business of Henry Ford, who knew enough to continually reduce the price of the Model T, which increased the demand for the Tin Lizzie. Although he reduced his profit per unit, he increased his overall revenues and made himself a billion dollars.

Those of you who reside in the other 49 states - watch what happens to Michigan and its economy over the next several months. You will see unemployment increase, business slow more than it already is and tax revenues will actually go down.

Sorry, Michiganders, you're going to be the lab rats who suffer for this one. I further predict that the number of shows you book and hold will go down, and I further predict that your show average will go down as personal spending is reduced.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You folks in Michigan are about to prove a point.There is no doubt (ask any economist) that the way to increase tax revenue and built a roaring economy is to reduce taxes, thus putting more money in the hands of the general public. The way to reduce tax revenue and strangle an economy is to increase taxes.Why does this seemingly contrary action work this way? When taxes are reduced, more money is in the hands of the general public and investors. The cash flows from consumer to merchant to wholesaler to manufacturer/distributor and all of them add jobs and employees - thereby increasing the tax stream in the form of sales taxes and income taxes from increased employment.When taxes are increased, less money is in the hands of the general public and investors, so they clam up and don't spend money they do not have. The reduction in cash flow results in loss of business for merchants, who buy less from wholesalers, who, in turn, stop buying from manufacturers. They end up laying off people, and the reduction of jobs reduces the stream of cash to the government.As clear as this is, and although it has been proven time and time again, some politicians are short sighted and see the quick fix, ignoring the long term problems they are causing.There is even a private sector example in the business of Henry Ford, who knew enough to continually reduce the price of the Model T, which increased the demand for the Tin Lizzie. Although he reduced his profit per unit, he increased his overall revenues and made himself a billion dollars. Those of you who reside in the other 49 states - watch what happens to Michigan and its economy over the next several months. You will see unemployment increase, business slow more than it already is and tax revenues will actually go down. Sorry, Michiganders, you're going to be the lab rats who suffer for this one. I further predict that the number of shows you book and hold will go down, and I further predict that your show average will go down as personal spending is reduced.
The really frightening aspect of all that is that in Michigan, we already have the HIGHEST unemployment, and the WORST Economic Forecast of all 50 states.....how much worse can it get? It makes me shudder to imagine!Right now, my show bookings are better than they have ever been, but I believe that is because people are eating at home more - no money to eat out.....and I think that is why the Real Foods Real Fast show has been so HUGE for me. BUT I have already seen my show avg. go down from what it has been the last 5 years. People are still spending, but not nearly as much!

Last edited:
Remember the '80s, when you were laying off State Troopers because there wasn't any money to pay them? Yeah, like that.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Those of you who reside in the other 49 states - watch what happens to Michigan and its economy over the next several months. You will see unemployment increase, business slow more than it already is and tax revenues will actually go down.

Sorry, Michiganders, you're going to be the lab rats who suffer for this one. I further predict that the number of shows you book and hold will go down, and I further predict that your show average will go down as personal spending is reduced.
I agree with you 100% on this one, and my show schedule and average are already pretty low. The other way this situation has had a negative impact is that while there are more people who need the opportunity, they can't see the big picture, and are unwilling to "spend" $155 for the kit, despite the fact that it should be viewed as an investment.

I know there are some folks who are doing quite well in PC in MI right now, so my recent experiences shouldn't necessarily be taken as typical.

--
The politicians weren't thinking "big picture" this weekend. They were trying to get the budget close to balanced so there wouldn't be a shutdown. The shortfall is still HUGE!

chefann said:
I agree with you 100% on this one, and my show schedule and average are already pretty low. The other way this situation has had a negative impact is that while there are more people who need the opportunity, they can't see the big picture, and are unwilling to "spend" $155 for the kit, despite the fact that it should be viewed as an investment.

I know there are some folks who are doing quite well in PC in MI right now, so my recent experiences shouldn't necessarily be taken as typical.

--
The politicians weren't thinking "big picture" this weekend. They were trying to get the budget close to balanced so there wouldn't be a shutdown. The shortfall is still HUGE!

I have had 3 prospective recruits - who really could use a part time job - turn down the opportunity in the last few weeks. All citing the fact that, even with the kit credit, there was no way they could come up with the $115 to buy their kit.:( Other people may think that is ridiculous.....but when you are living in this economy, and you aren't sure if you are going to have a job next week, $115 is ALOT of money!

In Wisconsin, there is not shutdown. When a new budget isn't passed, the state continues to operate under the previous budget. (We have a two year budget cycle here.) While the Deomcrats are all crying doom and gloom, the Republicans are fighting Diamond Jim Doyle's tax increase budget tooth and nail. The good news is that the state will not shut down - only work on the old budget. Of course, the doom and gloomers all want to change the law so a budget has to be passed - why would we want to do that? Look at Michigan - you're trying to stick a finger into the dike while we're still operating.

See? It's started already and your experiences were all before that stupid tax increase was passed.

Related to Returning to Work After Surgery: Dealing with Unexpected Demands and Job Stress

1. How soon can I return to work after surgery?

The timing of your return to work will depend on the type of surgery you had and your individual recovery process. It is important to follow your doctor's recommendations and listen to your body. Some people may be able to return to work within a week or two, while others may need several weeks or even months to fully recover.

2. How do I manage unexpected demands and job stress when returning to work after surgery?

Returning to work after surgery can be physically and emotionally challenging. It is important to communicate with your employer about any accommodations you may need during your transition back to work. Prioritizing tasks and taking breaks when needed can also help manage stress. Additionally, seeking support from coworkers, friends, and family can make the transition smoother.

3. Is it legal for my employer to ask me to attend a work function while on medical leave?

According to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), an employer cannot require an employee to work while on medical leave. However, if the employee is able to attend the work function and it does not interfere with their recovery, they may choose to do so voluntarily.

4. How can I cope with the stress and anxiety of returning to work after surgery?

Returning to work after surgery can be overwhelming and may cause anxiety. It is important to take care of your physical and emotional well-being. This may include practicing relaxation techniques, setting realistic expectations for yourself, and seeking support from friends, family, or a therapist.

5. Are there any job opportunities for someone recovering from surgery in Michigan?

There may be job opportunities in Michigan that are suitable for someone recovering from surgery. It is important to consider your physical limitations and discuss any accommodations needed with potential employers. Networking and reaching out to job search resources may also help in finding suitable job opportunities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
Replies
Views
lt1jane
Replies
Views
Hathery
  • jessicafawn
  • General Chat