• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Prayers Needed - Quitting My Day Job

In summary, the store owner has given the part timer all of the shifts, taken away one day of the month that the employee had asked to have off, and given the employee fewer hours than she was originally hired for.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Hi all,

(long and rambling but I need to vent, so I apologize in advance)

I was hoping that a few of you would be willing to say a prayer for me. After many discussions with my DH and this month's schedule just being posted at my day job, my DH has insisted I quit and I finally agree.

My job is in the retail field - frozen food store, and I've been working there almost 3 years. I was hired for Monday - Friday days and my hours would vary. Usually about 38-42 hours per week with about 32 during Jan and Feb when it's slow. I also worked one Saturday a year for our yearly charity bbq and then about 28-31 days in December (our craziest time).

Fast forward to the owner selling the business last Sept, new owner saying he's not going to change the hours at all - why change what's working? There were only 2 day staff including myself and 2 weekend students. Then the other day staff gets angry with the new owner and quits the first week in March with no notice, leaving me to work 6 days a week (she worked 3 days during the week and Sat) with a total of 52 hours a week. I did this for three weeks until the owner could figure something out since I didn't want to leave him stuck. I worked Thurs and Fri from 9am - 8 pm instead of just until 4 plus the Sat in addition to my regular shifts.

He had just approached me before she quit about training me for a manager position (we never had one) because he didn't want to be in the store at all (unlike the previous owner who managed himself and was there a few hours every weekday). I however had done most of the paperwork and organizing of the store for him and he'd just drop in and stay each day for a bit.

Well after she quit he decided he didn't have time to train me plus have me train someone for her spot (he has 3 other businesses) so he enticed a gal from another store to come and work in ours. She has 13 years experience there, 7 as manager, but that store was closing in the next year.

Fast forward again - she comes in, starts doing the schedule and takes all my shifts leaving me with about 22 - 26 a week and of these 4 hours are on both Thurs and Fri evenings plus 3 out of every 4 Saturdays. I explain to the owner that we had an agreement I didn't work weekends, I had children (she does not). He says she's going to be fair and you'll work one a month and so will she and I needed to 'suck it up and be a team player'.

So I 'sucked it up' but I've now worked 4 out of 6 and this month's schedule came out and I have 3 out of 4. For a total of 7 out of 10. I'm now only working 4 hours Monday morning to help with the delivery truck, Thurs and/or Fri nights and Saturdays.

When she posted it yesterday, (oh yes, I had to work Sunday as well this week) I nicely asked her why I was working it. She stated she's worked enough of them (5 out or 9) and wasn't hired for Sat. I stated neither was I and I was promised the most it would be was 1 out of 4. She also stated that one of the part timers needed some Saturdays off at which point I stated yes, but only 2 not all of them and you gave her all of them. She also gave the part timer my Tuesday shift (we need two that day) since she's done college until Sept. So I have her Sat and she gets my Tues!

She said this is the schedule, deal with it! So I go home and my hubby is furious, then I go in today and she's crossed out my name on 2 of the 3 Sat (I should be happy right?) and gave one to the part timer as I suggested, took one herself but didn't give me any of the Tues shifts AND took away the one day this month I asked for off - Wed June 24th for my daughter's grad. She stated her DH (not her!) had a doctor's appointment so the rest of us will have to figure something out if I want it off. Now with not having the Saturdays that I didn't want anyway, but not gaining back my Tuesdays, Wednesdays or other shifts I have either 14, 15 or 19 hours for the rest of the month instead of my normal 38 - 42.

DH says quit, that's it! He says with what I make minus taxes and the 20 minute drive each way each shift it's not worth it for 15 or 19 hours. I agree but I'm so nervous to lose even that small income. I do have more pride than to continue putting up with this (3rd month now) and really think I do need to do this. In this economy I kinda feel I should be grateful for any job but DH says you have gone above and beyond for them for 3 years and don't deserve this. I do PC a couple times a month on evenings and other than that I want to be there for my kids when they're home from school not at work getting home at 8:30 at night and not seeing them on Saturdays either!

Thoughts? And if you do agree, could you send a prayer my way please - that we are able to get through this time without too much financial hardship and that I'm able to find something else that fits my family but doesn't require every weekend and evenings?

Thanks!

I totally agree with your DH. Go for it, QUIT! (I wish I could) You can always work harder at your PC business and get a few more shows on your calendar to make some extra money.

I agree. Sometimes we have to suck it up, but if it continues and it is not what you signed up for and it is not your "Dream Job" then quit.
If it is a minimal income, commit to put 3-4 extra shows on your calander each month and stay home!
Good luck, you are in my prayers.

WOW - she is not a nice person. And, I think she might be a tad jealous of you - does she know that the owner was going to train you for mgmt before he got lazy? Since you have your husband's support - do it! Working just one more good show a month will cover what you were making. Success is the greatest revenge - they need you more than you need them!

Thanks for the support ladies.

I'm not even sure how badly it's going to affect our budget but it definitely will of course. It already has with the hours cut from April and May and now June is even worse. Minimum here is $9.50, I make $11. So $11 x 15 hours is $165. Factoring in taxes and $50 for four shifts in gas (I drive a truck and gas is 90 cents a litre so it's expensive) I'd be making less than $100 a week/$400 a month take home now. Used to be about $1000 - $1200 before my gas expense.

We have paid all our credit cards off in full and just have a mortgage and daily expenses and we do have a rainy day fund. I soooo didn't want to touch it though but DH says this is our rainy day and we'll use it for whatever my pay doesn't cover and for the little extras for the kids plus we'll cut back.

PLEASE pray all! I just feel sooo sick to my stomach right now :(

Jodi do whats best for you and your family QUIT! I agree with your DH with the costs of everything you will be better off not working right now, since they cut your hours. I will pray for your financial stability through this trial. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Can you possibly look for a job first before you quit? You might not get a very good reference if you quit now after the confrontation....might make a smoother transition...but I will pray for you.

Nanisu said:
Can you possibly look for a job first before you quit? You might not get a very good reference if you quit now after the confrontation....might make a smoother transition...but I will pray for you.

I agree that if you are worried about household budget you should look for another job first.

As a employer I would also suggest that you sit down with your boss again.

Questions you should ask:

Are you happy with my job performance? (This will get him thinking!)

Am I still going to be trained for management as promised? This is a good question because if you up and quit you can't get EI but if you were promised something and didn't receive it then this is grounds to move on.

Before you up and quit talk to your boss, explain you can't make it only those hours. If he doesn't want to talk or doesn't agree give him your notice!

Wow.. what a situation. I don't think anyone can tell you what to do.. we are not in your shoes... but I would suggest that you talk to the owner and ask the questions that Rennae suggested. Great points. You are obvouisly valuable in his eyes (he WAS willing to train you for mgmt) and he may be very upset to see you leave. Where is your heart?? Make a list of pros and cons for leaving and staying. Talk to him and let him know how you are feeling.. I'm sure he is not aware of the choices of the new boss.. then if you still want to leave.. do so knowing you did try to work out staying. You can certainly pick up some more parties to make more $$....and you get to write off the mileage etc. I wil definitely pray for your choice to be clear and right for you and your family!!! Good luck!!!

I agree with Rennea, go talk to your boss first. But be prepared to walk.

Prayers!!!! & Good Luck!

sending prayers your way!! I totally believe what is meant to be, will be!

Jen

I will pray that God gives you guidance on what to do and for your family's financial stability.

Hang in there Jodi! If you are miserable, not even an increase in hours will help. Been there/done that with a jealous boss & coworker and all you end up is more miserable! I would talk to the "big boss" and see what he says. He may not want her to come in and make such a mess! He could lose everyone else...not just you...and only have her! He would be in a mess then!

Wow Jodi! I'm shocked and appalled by the ladies rudeness to you.

I would quit and get on the phone to get more shows booked. YOU CAN and WILL do it if you put your mind to it. Call people and tell them that your director put you up to a challenge. YOu have to get 24 bookings in 24 hours. I would like to do one myself so we can update each other if you want.

I;m praying for you!

Actually I did have a conversation with the boss back in the middle of April a couple of weeks after she started, the first time she did the schedule for two weeks in advance. I was scheduled for my first Saturday besides charity bbq day and December in 3 years and asked him about it since we were the ones that had a relationship not her and I yet.

He stated that she was making the schedule now and that he would talk to her but she had mentioned that she would be scheduling everyone for a Sat to make it fair. Our one young teenager works all Sat and Sun by choice and we have one other person with her on Saturdays. The college student works Fri evenings and every other weekend with the teenager needing only two weekends on the calendar to fill. So the owner stated 'what's the big deal? It will be one Saturday a month for you and one for the new manager.' I said fine, I'll do what I have to do but know that this is NOT what I was hired for, not what we had agreed on and that there was NO training for management going on when we only work together the 4 hours we unload the truck. (He had stated that he was hiring her now, I was not being trained by him since he didn't have the time, but she would 'take me under her wing' and teach me because he planned on buying another of these stores 20 minutes away next year or the one after that and would need a manager for each)

Then the May schedule goes up and I work Apr 25, May 9, May 23 and 24th (Sun) and May 29th and 30th (Sun) and STILL only get 22 hours (these were my only shifts besides 4 hours on Thurs evening and 4 hours to do the delivery on Monday morning. (That's 4 out of 6 Saturdays!) I then take my DH's advice and quickly ask for my daughter's grad off (in writing and posted to the bulletin board) before the June schedule went up.

The owner comes in to collect some $ and was talking to the manager one day when I wasn't there. They flip the calendar to look at upcoming dates for birthdays or something in August, see my holiday time off booked (which we have always done - put our holiday dates on the only actual calendar in the store and any appointments or day off requests on the bulletin board beside the schedule) and they flip out! HE leaves a nasty note on the bulletin board addressed to noone but we all know it's to me stating holidays are NOT to be requested, this is a retail store! Um hello, always has been and the two students WANT extra hours this summer and I've been there 3 years, one student since last July, older student since last August and manager since April 1st!! He didn't bother to speak with me just wrote the note in huge letters with lots of exclamation points.

He comes in the day after that, calls me in the office and asks me 'what the hell is that about holidays on the calendar?' I state they've been there since the first of Feb, I put them up when we booked the trip, it's only 2 weeks and I wanted to get mine up so there wouldn't be a conflict with the newer employees and they'd know what was left available. He also asked about the day off in June and I stated it was my daughter's grad and that his darling manager had told us that if we needed time off to just post it on the board so she'd know before making up a schedule. I have NEVER taken time off for my kids, illnesses or otherwise EXCEPT for my scheduled holiday every year, this upcoming grad day and when I took 3 weeks off when I rolled and totalled my truck at the end of Sept and was off with cracked ribs!

So he eventually calms down and says alright, we misunderstood and had gotten the impression YOU were telling US what to do. So I apologize. He ripped up the note and that was the end of it. I asked him about these Saturdays I was working and he said she does the schedule now. I asked him 'what happened to the no Saturdays or one out of 4' like our previous agreements. He repeated that she does the schedule.

DH then said, well wait until our trip and then quit. Kids will be out of school at the end of June, you can have 3 days in the week with them and he'd have the weekends when I worked (although he and I would hardly ever see each other). Then when your holidays are over look for another job. Kinda hard to look for another job needing June 24th off and 2 weeks in August.

BUT, the schedule went up for this month and again I have 3 out of 4 weekends and only evenings and even LESS hours AND the college student is getting 28+ hours and all 4 weekends off while I work 3 of them and only get 15-19 hours a week. She's been there since August, me three years? My DH figures he wants to get rid of me just like the gal of two years who got fed up and quit in March so it's only two newish students and they can start from scratch. DH says you've talked to the owner twice, spoke with the manager yesterday, enough is enough, you're better than that, you'll find something else, and if you don't we'll survive and you don't deserve any of it!

Today she wouldn't even speak to me. No hello, excuse me when she bumped by me and nothing when both the student and I left together. How mature and managerial is that? DH says they've been trying to push me out the door between one Saturday, multiple Saturdays, freaking about holidays and now not even talking to me just because I nicely went in to 'inquire' as to why I'm working all but one and neither of the other two were, and that now it's finally worked and he wants me out of there. He never intended to be IN the store like the previous owner, was kind of mislead by the previous owner who told him I was I management material (but didn't tell him I wasn't trained!) and he can't be bothered training. His loyalty is to her since her experience enables him to not be in the store where my lack of does not. Although it's hilarious that she calls him everyday leaving message after message because she just HAS to talk to him.

Rennea, thanks for the advice regarding EI, but whether quit or get fired I won't get it. I've looked it up and it seems to be only if a company closes or if you get laid off. I've never gotten fired or quit a job in my life (just left ones to go to school, left after finishing college, or when a company folded)

I went to college many moons ago for admin. assistant and think I'll look for something like that, or waitressing like I did while in school. I loved both of those. I love paperwork, organizing etc but also love the busy, crazy, social side of waitressing and I'm high energy so it's perfect. I only took this job after going in to buy chicken and the previous owner offering me a 35 - 40 hour weekDAY only job. I had just finished 4 years of helping out at my kids school and the kids didn't want me anymore so I thought, why not? I have regular customers that love me, ask HER where I am, and tell me when I am there that they missed me and she was rude. Probably about a dozen different people have mentioned one thing or another and want to know why the heck I'm not there as much as before. The seniors are the ones that are the maddest LOL

So although I know I won't get a good reference if I quit with no notice, I strongly believe I wouldn't get one with notice! He is impossible to reach 98%of the time and if the employer calls the store we KNOW she wouldn't give me a good one either way!

I still feel sick though :yuck: Think I'll go play on FB Farmtown for a bit..

Jodi: I was in a similar situation with retail work. I was the store manager but nothing was ever good enough for the District Manager. DH told me to quit. and that I was only working to pay the taxes anyway. I'll tell you.... that was the best day when she came in ranting and raving and had me in tears. I called DH and said "are you sure? because today is the day" So I gave notice and haven't looked back since. Just think about all the money you will save in gas, clothes the stress, headaches, rearranging your personal schedule. If your DH says go for it then my dear RUN!!! Don't walk and don't look back. good luck and in my prayers.

If you can afford it (which it sounds you'll be able to do), I say go. Why put up with being bullied, belittled, and misjudged? Ick.

My heart goes out to you Jodi. It's no fun to go to work every day in a place that makes you feel so badly. I was once employed by a man that thought women should "stay in their place" and often refered to a black gentleman that was hired to work for a company we were contracted to as something that starts with an N. It was horrible to go to work for him every day. He did not value the work I did at all. It's too bad he was like that because it's been FIVE years since I left and I'm told people still ask about him and wish I worked there still. But you can't put yourself through that type of environment day in and day out. The stress is just not worth it. Once I left there I felt SO much better.

All I can add to what everyone else has commented and suggested is that you are blessed to have such a caring, supportive husband.

In Canada, there's something in common law called a "forced quit" in which your employer changes your work schedule or duties or they treat you badly to force you to quit. This is not in the employment standards law but it is something you can talk to a labour lawyer about. It sounds like this is what they're trying to do.

I believe that also in the US you can still be eligible for unemployement if your hours have changed or you are in a hostile envirnoment. Definiately check it out, don't give up easily! You've dedicated yourself and your time for long enough to earn the respect of your employer and for him to adhere to the terms of your employment.

Good luck!

Thanks all. I'm actually sitting here with tears in my eyes due to all the support from you.

Now, I need to ask......can I hear a WOOHOO?!?!?!

DH JUST called moments ago and I was outside so I missed his call and now can't reach him but he wanted to let me know that he was called in the office a few minutes ago and FINALLY got the job he applied for. He works for the city and everyone there gets hired as a 'laborer'. He has his driving credentials and 20 years experience driving different machines but if you're hired from the 'outside' you start as laborer.

He snow plowed for them for two winters but in the winter of 07/08 they asked him to apply for the open laborer's job and not going back to the cement plant. Since the pay was the same but this one came with job security working all year and a pension he applied and got it.

He drives like everyone else but isn't an official driver, just a laborer with the appropriate license. He applied within twice for different driving jobs that came up due to other's retirement since April 08 and didn't get them.

He now just called to say HE GOT IT!! $4 more per hour plus other perks!!

I'm thinking this was a sign, don't you? GOD IS GREAT! :D

Again, thank you all for taking the time out of your busy lives to give my your opinions, thoughts, prayers, etc.

:D :D :D :D

YES!!!! That SO is a sign. That rocks!!! I'm so happy this is working out well for you. :)

Thanks Sarah! :D

I just got off the phone with DH and he said 'is this the sign you were looking for? Enough already woman! You're 41, you're not a kid and you gave your heart and soul to that place and don't deserve this. Wash your uniforms, gather them and your keys, go meet the owner tomorrow morning and hand it all over to him and tell him why. Do NOT go in there and deal with her at all!'

I think for once I'm going to listen to DH! :) :D

They are right every once in a while.. ;) lol.

It was meant to be, Jodi! I'm so happy that there's such a clear sign for you. And now you'll have the time to book a couple more shows a month - make up any remaining difference in the money. :)

PamperedK said:
In Canada, there's something in common law called a "forced quit" in which your employer changes your work schedule or duties or they treat you badly to force you to quit. This is not in the employment standards law but it is something you can talk to a labour lawyer about. It sounds like this is what they're trying to do.

Really, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! Once this is over with tomorrow I WILL look into it.

chefann said:
It was meant to be, Jodi! I'm so happy that there's such a clear sign for you. And now you'll have the time to book a couple more shows a month - make up any remaining difference in the money. :)

EXACTLY Ann! I use to work 40+ hours there plus do 6 - 8 shows a month. With the children becoming involved in more activities then before I let it go down to 4 shows and then with the stress since April 1st I haven't done anything but one show a month and a couple of catty's.

I may take a few weeks for myself to just relax and to get my house and gardens back to the way I expect them but then it's all systems go. Just a little time to mellow and decompress :)

Hooray!

You are on the road to a better life without that stress!
The universe is conspiring for your success!

(Sheer poetry!)​

kcjodih said:
Thanks all. I'm actually sitting here with tears in my eyes due to all the support from you.

Now, I need to ask......can I hear a WOOHOO?!?!?!

DH JUST called moments ago and I was outside so I missed his call and now can't reach him but he wanted to let me know that he was called in the office a few minutes ago and FINALLY got the job he applied for. He works for the city and everyone there gets hired as a 'laborer'. He has his driving credentials and 20 years experience driving different machines but if you're hired from the 'outside' you start as laborer.

He snow plowed for them for two winters but in the winter of 07/08 they asked him to apply for the open laborer's job and not going back to the cement plant. Since the pay was the same but this one came with job security working all year and a pension he applied and got it.

He drives like everyone else but isn't an official driver, just a laborer with the appropriate license. He applied within twice for different driving jobs that came up due to other's retirement since April 08 and didn't get them.

He now just called to say HE GOT IT!! $4 more per hour plus other perks!!

I'm thinking this was a sign, don't you? GOD IS GREAT! :D

Again, thank you all for taking the time out of your busy lives to give my your opinions, thoughts, prayers, etc.

:D :D :D :D

What a TRUE Blessing! This really is a sign - since what you were most concerned about was the loss of income! That is a great raise - and between your DH's raise, and the cut in expenses you'll experience (less travel, etc...) I'd say that it's covered now!

WAHOO for you, Jodi!

Thanks Becky! :)

Hi Jodi ~

Don't you just love how quickly God answers your hearts desire? I am glad that the prayers have been answered in rapid time. Glad you'll be able to get away from an unhappy job where you aren't being appreciated. Now you can work your biz, without the stress of financial necessities! Whoo Hoo....God is good, indeed.

I agree that IS you sign! Congrats!!

Great news Jodi!!!! Sorry you had to go through all of this, but I am so happy for your good news behind it all.

Woohoo! Yes, God is great and has answered all our prayers to make things easier for you! Keep us posted!

OMG!!! What a clear and perfect sign!! good luck and stick to your guns.. you are so sweet and considerate and hard working....just switch and work hard for yourself now!!!! You deserve SOOOO much better. You will feel so much better soon!!! At some point.. you must thank her for being such a beotch.. and opening a wonderful new door for you!! Inform her how WONDERFUL you are doing and thankful she ran you off!! Or better yet tell the boss.. lol and then never look back.. it is clearly their loss. Still more prayers to help you through this!!!! Change is always hard.

Ginger, love your "tude" and advice! Sure you're not from Jersey? ;)

Can't wait to hear what happened when you took all your uniforms back and told him you were gone! Let us know!(You can always come to Farm Town and work for me! LOL!)

Okay, today's the day. I feel like I'm going to vomit. Ugh! I'm going to call him in about 1/2 an hour (8 am our time) on his cell and ask to meet him locally since he's always out and about at about 9, on the way to my dd's ortho, or 11:30 on the way back.

If that doesn't work, then I'll either aim for tomorrow morning since my next shift is tomorrow night, or I'll just tell him on the phone if he's 'too busy' and drop them off with the witch on the way to the ortho.

UGH! Wish me luck folks.

BEST of luck!! I know this is really meant to be. :) *HUGS and happy juju!*

kcjodih said:
Okay, today's the day. I feel like I'm going to vomit. Ugh! I'm going to call him in about 1/2 an hour (8 am our time) on his cell and ask to meet him locally since he's always out and about at about 9, on the way to my dd's ortho, or 11:30 on the way back.

If that doesn't work, then I'll either aim for tomorrow morning since my next shift is tomorrow night, or I'll just tell him on the phone if he's 'too busy' and drop them off with the witch on the way to the ortho.

UGH! Wish me luck folks.

Good luck! Don't be nervous, don't let him intimidate you and make you feel guilty for quitting fast, either! Stand up for yourself. They have inconvenienced you (to say the least) long enough, now it's their turn. They probably bullied you thinking you'd take it because jobs seem precious these days. But what a great turn of events for your DH! Now you'll be ok plus you can do shows more! Yeah! I'm so happy for you that this is working out.

Good luck Jodi! You will feel so much better when this task is done :)

And, if you do throw-up...try and aim for his shoes ;)

Jodi, this is awesome! LOVE DH's promotion and his pep talk!If you decide you need a job after all, I'm sure you can get something else for at LEAST $1.50 above minimum that is closer to home.

kcjodih said:
Really, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! Once this is over with tomorrow I WILL look into it.

Yeah it's really interesting and it protects employees that have been treated the way you have. It's officially called Constructive Dismissal.
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/lp/lo/opd-ipg/ipg/033.shtml

Call your provincial employment standards board and they'll point you in the right direction. Companies need to know that they can't get away with treating people this way.

Ontario Employment Standards - Employment Standards | Ontario Ministry of Labour

Can you tell I'm passionate about this topic??

LOL...Linda you cracked me up w/the shoes part! Jodi I always hate when my nerves get me so much that they make me sick!!! Good luck & try to listen to or think of something calming on your way so maybe you won't feel that sick feeling. I do that sometimes going to PC shows...I listen to cd's from HO to help me forget. :)

pamperedlinda said:
Good luck Jodi! You will feel so much better when this task is done :)

And, if you do throw-up...try and aim for his shoes ;)

TOO funny Linda! This man has mega money and mega arrogance to go with it. I just know his shoes would be worth more than I made in a 2 week pay period. He drives a new Toyota Tacoma truck, a porsche, a lexus and a Nissan Infiniti. Plus takes private pilot lessons and owns 2 other businesses besides ours and many rental properties. Unfortunately, he acts like he has it all and has an air about him.

Pamperedk, thank you SO much for the link and all the info. I'm going to sit down tonight when it is quiet and go through it with my DH.

Did you see him yet? How did it go?

Update:

So I tried calling him yesterday morning at 8 am on his cell. He ALWAYS has his blackberry on him and the thing dings and rings with calls and emails. He didn't answer.

I left a message saying I needed to speak with him and would prefer to meet with him in person at his convenience, wherever, and to please return my call before 9 at home or after on my cell and left both #'s which he already had. He didn't call.

I then called his home at 4 pm; he's home EVERYday by 4 since his young son gets off the bus at 4:10 and his wife is a psychiatrist and has appointments regularly until 5. He didn't answer so I left the same message saying I'd be home until 7 and then after 9:30 or he could call my cell in between. I also left my #'s again. We stayed off the phone (however we do have Call Answer so wouldn't have missed his call anyway, he would have been able to leave a message but I didn't want to play phone tag if he did). We also have Call Display which I checked when we got home and....he didn't call.

I then tossed and turned all night and then called him again on his cell this morning at 8 am, his son gets on the bus at 7:50. I got his machine again so this time I left a message stating I tried to reach him yesterday by cell and at home, I would have preferred to speak with him in person rather than on the phone but obviously that isn't going to happen, so I wanted to inform him that I am done, won't be coming back into work, will be calling the one mature student who lives 10 minutes from me but is on my way to sports and my kids school and have her bring in my uniforms and keys. I said that I wouldn't be heading into that town (different from where my kids school and sports are and we live in the country - 25 minutes away) before Sunday and I'm sure the new manager would want my keys before then. Told him I'd drop them off to the fellow employees house around 4 today on my way to my son's track and field.

I also mentioned that I'm sure it didn't come as a surprise at all, indicated by the lack of a return call and the treatment at work lately. I then concluded with saying I would now be calling his home phone to leave a message there as well to ensure he got it.

I then called his home, repeated the message, called the fellow employee and
I'M DONE!!!

I wanted to just drop them off to him and speak in person or an alternative would be just dumping them on the front counter at work with her but DH said I was NOT to waste the time or gas money driving 50 minutes round trip to drop them off and say the few words of 'I'm done' plus he didn't trust me not to hurt her or make a scene :blushing:

He also said that if the owner was too immature to get back to me that he didn't deserve anything other than a message on the machine. So although I feel very foolish just talking to his machine, I'm glad I'm done. He's the one that hired her, I'd spoken to him twice about these issues in very heated discussions and her and I had had it out on Sunday. It was better for me to deal with him, but he chose to be a coward and avoid me instead.

Thanks all for giving me encouragement, prayers, advice and support.

I'm done, I'm done, I'm done!!!! AND I didn't throw up :D

<h2>1. What is your current job and how long have you been working there?</h2><p>I work in the retail field at a frozen food store, and I have been working there for almost 3 years.</p><h2>2. Can you tell us more about your work schedule and hours?</h2><p>I was initially hired for Monday-Friday day shifts, with 38-42 hours per week. During slower months, my hours would be reduced to about 32 per week. I also worked one Saturday per year for our charity BBQ and about 28-31 days in December, our busiest time.</p><h2>3. What changes have occurred at your job recently?</h2><p>In September, the owner of the business sold it and the new owner decided not to change the hours. However, one of the other day staff members quit in March, leaving me to work 6 days a week with a total of 52 hours. The owner had initially approached me about training for a manager position, but after the other staff member quit, he decided he didn't have time to train me.</p><h2>4. How has this affected your work schedule and responsibilities?</h2><p>After the other staff member quit, the new manager was hired and took over the schedule, leaving me with only 22-26 hours per week. She also gave me shifts on Thursdays and Fridays, which I had not previously worked, and took weekends off despite not having children. The owner also did not keep his promise to have me only work one Saturday per month.</p><h2>5. Have you considered quitting your job due to these changes?</h2><p>Yes, my husband has suggested that I quit due to the decrease in hours and the lack of consideration for my personal schedule and family commitments. I am hesitant to do so because of the current economy, but I am also looking for a job that better fits my family's needs.</p>

1. What is your current job and how long have you been working there?

I work in the retail field at a frozen food store, and I have been working there for almost 3 years.

2. Can you tell us more about your work schedule and hours?

I was initially hired for Monday-Friday day shifts, with 38-42 hours per week. During slower months, my hours would be reduced to about 32 per week. I also worked one Saturday per year for our charity BBQ and about 28-31 days in December, our busiest time.

3. What changes have occurred at your job recently?

In September, the owner of the business sold it and the new owner decided not to change the hours. However, one of the other day staff members quit in March, leaving me to work 6 days a week with a total of 52 hours. The owner had initially approached me about training for a manager position, but after the other staff member quit, he decided he didn't have time to train me.

4. How has this affected your work schedule and responsibilities?

After the other staff member quit, the new manager was hired and took over the schedule, leaving me with only 22-26 hours per week. She also gave me shifts on Thursdays and Fridays, which I had not previously worked, and took weekends off despite not having children. The owner also did not keep his promise to have me only work one Saturday per month.

5. Have you considered quitting your job due to these changes?

Yes, my husband has suggested that I quit due to the decrease in hours and the lack of consideration for my personal schedule and family commitments. I am hesitant to do so because of the current economy, but I am also looking for a job that better fits my family's needs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kcjodih
Replies
Views
CookinWithLynda
Replies
Views
lt1jane