• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Venting at Work: My Frustrations with a New Colleague | Bless & Release

responsibilities... are not mine, and since I don't know how to do them, I'm just going to go talk to the boss.
pampchefsarah
Gold Member
I know I have to bless and release, but I can't do so until I vent - not to anyone at work, though - it has to be to someone who'll be sympathetic but totally removed from the situation.

I've been with this company almost 4 years. I am the ONLY person in the finance department now who has been here longer than 8 months (!!!!). As far as I know, there is the CFO, and the other 3 permanent employees are all under him, and him alone (meaning, I have no other supervisor). The billing person is new to the position in this office, but used to work for our headquarters in Hong Kong, so he definitely knows his job. At first I was very impressed by his work ethic, but now he is, honestly, getting on my nerves.

In May, the previous billing person (who was there for years, and did, at one point or another, all the accounting functions except General Ledger), left the company. One of the things she used to do was all the credit notes (remember, I'm venting, so if you have no idea what I'm talking about, it's ok). I'm the collections person for this company, and sometimes I would have to calculate the amount of the credit for different reasons, but I would never, or even knew how to, enter the credits. Well, now Steven is here, and he has decided this is my job - even though he knows very well how to do it, and often the credits are necessary because of billing changes. In the past few days he has sent me several e-mails saying 'please enter this credit note, for this amount, against this invoice, for this reason.' Today I am copied on a chain of e-mails about credits for a customer who was overbilled for over 5 months. Steven calculated the credits, got the approval for them to be entered, then e-mailed me to enter them. Excuse me? You did all the work, but you can't do this next step??

I also found there is a problem with a customer's billing, so I notified Steven (remember? he's in charge of the billing), and asked how to resolve the issue. He researches it, finds exactly what the problem is, then gives me detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to send the necessary request to IT to have it fixed. Again, you couldn't have done it yourself, which would have taken less time??:mad:

I'm tempted to ask our boss if Steven's my supervisor, and I just haven't been notified, but I'm more tempted to just look for a new job. Really, it's not worth the 3 hour commute - except my salary covers our mortgage.

Ok, rant over. Time to breathe deep, say a prayer for patience, then place it all in God's hands, right where it belongs. Thanks for being here for me!

I would talk to boss when you are not upset.. just to clear things up. What if the boss has also seen things but not enough to be concerned. What if he was made your superior but you were not informed. It is hard to make educated decisions with out all the details. It may be much better than you think. Just a few comments from the boss to straighten him out and get back on track may be in order. How else is the boss to know what is going on. CFO may not even have a clue. I'm sure you are a valued part of the business. Keep an open dialogue with the boss. It can only improve the situation. Good luck.

Thanks, Ginger. That's a good point. I just hate to come across as a whiner, or cause problems for Steven. It is even that I'm now suddenly doing something the previous billing person used to do, because, honestly, the majority of these credits should be done by me - I don't know why Li-Ping wasn't having me do them in the first place. It's really more that he could easily do the work himself, instead of giving detailed instructions and passing it off to me.

There is also the point that his English isn't perfect, so I could be taking personally something just because he isn't phrasing it properly.

I could go in to 'just clarify my responsibilities,' I guess.

I'd go talk to the boss...Preface by saying, I know quite a few things changed over the last few weeks, so I'm a bit confused. My job duties are: X, Y and Z
Now Steven is sending me e-mail after e-mail to do: A, B, and CSince these duties used to belong to XXXXX, who are they to go to now? ...and if you are to pick them up per the boss, ask for some detailed training first.

janetupnorth said:
I'd go talk to the boss...

...and if you are to pick them up per the boss, ask for some detailed training first.

And maybe a new salary that covers the extra work you are expected to do?

I agree with all of the above, and would like to add: Was Li-Ping a supervisor in the other office? Is he accustomed to delegating those tasks to other employees? Maybe he isn't used to just doing it himself.

Who knows...maybe he is just Li-Ping into the new role. :D

I agree with what everyone else has said...open dialogue with the head guy might be the best course of action. But I would also add that documentation is key. You already have printouts of the emails he's been sending, so make sure you have those with you so you can back yourself up if you're asked what kind of communication has been sent your way. Good luck and let us know how things go!!!

janetupnorth said:
Who knows...maybe he is just Li-Ping into the new role. :D

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/groan.gif

Only took HOURS for someone to notice I posted that!
...and here I was disappointed I couldn't even get a GROAN!

janetupnorth said:
Only took HOURS for someone to notice I posted that!

...and here I was disappointed I couldn't even get a GROAN!

Okay - I saw it, and actually went to Photobucket to find an appropriate "groan" smiley - but then the phone rang, and I decided to empty the dishwasher while I was on the phone, and then I remembered I needed to get a load of laundry going....and I totally forgot about it!:p

It was funny when I first read it though!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - I saw it, and actually went to Photobucket to find an appropriate "groan" smiley - but then the phone rang, and I decided to empty the dishwasher while I was on the phone, and then I remembered I needed to get a load of laundry going....and I totally forgot about it!:p

It was funny when I first read it though!:D

Oh look...there's a chicken! :D

Becky's story reminds me of the email siggy I have for my Etsy shop (which I stole from a Silpada lady's shirt)(stole the line, not the shop): I was going to take over the world, but I got distracted by something sparkly.:D

Yes, I was recalling the joke...I don't have ADD, Oh look, there's a chicken!I was picturing her running around doing all those things because I do the same thing - it was quite funny.

janetupnorth said:
Yes, I was recalling the joke...

I don't have ADD, Oh look, there's a chicken!

I was picturing her running around doing all those things because I do the same thing - it was quite funny.

LOL!

That's my life - and it's why I never seem to be able to finish projects I start.:blushing:

:)
That reminds me, I need to re-show DH my silpada catalog, so he can order one of the things I circled for Christmsa :)

For anyone who's interested, my friend Christy sells and is doing a 20% off sale right now!! Their last day for Christmas shipping is today too.

Her web-site is:

www dot mysilpada dot com

/christy.larsen

I'm not sure what their policy is for posting web addresses, so hopefully this won't get her into trouble!

And Janet, I don't have the cute smileys, but here is another

GROAN for you :D

I tell people all the time that I have the attention span of a ferret. They laugh. I don't think they realize that I'm serious.BTW, you've gotten some good advice Sarah. I hope things settle down soon.

Uggh, Janet - It took me hours to realize what you were saying; I thought it was some sort of grammatical error! All I can say is, you've been hanging around KG waaayyyy too much. Thanks, though, for the humorous hijack. Much better than the whiney original post, anyway.

Just so y'all know, I found out today (not because anyone bothered to tell me, but because I happened to look at the intranet list of people on leave today), that my boss is out all this week. I'm on vacation for two weeks starting 12/21 (wooHOO). By the time I get back, I'll be over it, at least for awhile. Of course, in this company, being on vacation just means you work when and from where you want - but, you still work!

Naw, I had bad puns before I met KG...he just tends to bring them out more! :)Glad you FINALLY got it to laugh at it - he-he!Well, relax, do what you have to do and address it after the holidays.

1. How do I handle a difficult coworker without losing my temper?

First, it's important to stay calm and composed. Take a step back and assess the situation objectively. It may also be helpful to communicate your frustrations with your colleague in a calm and respectful manner. If the issue persists, consider talking to your manager or HR for further guidance.

2. How can I prevent my frustrations with a coworker from affecting my work performance?

One way to prevent your frustrations from affecting your work performance is to maintain a positive attitude and focus on your own tasks. It may also be helpful to set boundaries with your coworker and keep your interactions professional.

3. What should I do if my colleague's behavior is affecting the team dynamic?

If your colleague's behavior is disrupting the team dynamic, it's important to address the issue with your manager or HR. They can help mediate the situation and find a resolution that benefits the entire team.

4. How can I cope with a colleague who constantly interrupts and talks over me?

It can be frustrating when a colleague constantly interrupts and talks over you. One approach is to assert yourself by calmly stating that you would like to finish your thought before they respond. If the behavior persists, consider talking to your manager for further assistance.

5. Is it ever appropriate to vent about a coworker to other colleagues?

No, it is not appropriate to vent about a coworker to other colleagues. Venting can create a negative work environment and can damage relationships. It's important to address any issues directly with your colleague or through proper channels, such as speaking to your manager or HR.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie4PC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
Replies
Views
myinnerchef
  • PurpleAngel
  • General Chat
Replies