• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Venting About Citibank: My Frustrating Experience with Closing an Account

In summary, the conversation is about a person's negative experience with Citibank. They moved their banking business to WaMu but kept their Citibank credit card. When they tried to close their Citibank account, there were issues with automatic transfers and overdraft charges. They have been unable to resolve the issue and have received little help from Citibank, leading to frustration and a desire to take further action.
myinnerchef
Gold Member
I need to vent!!!

A few months ago, I decided to move my banking business from Citibank to WaMu. WaMu offers free business checking and is just more kid-friendly. So we moved our personal accounts too and we locked in a 12-month 6.5% APR on savings before the rates dropped. I decided to keep our Citibank credit card because I've been with them for almost 25 years. Now I'm thinking that was a mistake.

When I went into the local branch to close my account, I was told I could not close it until the following week. I don't recall what the teller told me but at the time, it made sense. I explained that I did not have computer access (mine had died and I was waiting for our tax refund to buy another) and I asked if they would cancel all of the future automated transfers, some of which were imminent. I was assured that they would take care of this for me. Thinking back, I think he was just agreeing to anything to move the line along because he didn't ask me for any info.

Fast forward one week - there are now charges on my account not only for an overdraft for the automated transfers that were not cancelled as promised but also service charges for having a zero balance on this allegedly free checking account. I went in to complain and heard a different song and dance than the previous week. This time, they said I could close my account if I paid off the overdraft. That would be fine with me, but the overdraft is for a transfer to a credit card that was paid off (also Citibank) and now has a huge credit balance. I can't pay the branch bank until the credit card refunds my money but the credit card won't send me a check despite my requests.

Since then, the automated transfer was made another time increasing my credit balance which I still haven't received. I finally have my new computer set up and I terminated the transfers myself but Citibank Banking calls me at least once an hour asking me to pay off the overdraft loan, which I can't do until Citibank Credit Cards returns the money that Citibank Banking sent to them. It's like a psycho catch-22.

The Banking Group grunts who call refuse to let me speak with a manager or supervisor, insisting that the complaints go into a queue and someone will call me back within 24 hours. Fine. Four weeks later, I'm still waiting for one of those return calls. They even refuse to give me the name of the manager who will allegedly call me. Yet, everyone I've spoken with insists that my complaints are documented in their system - which bizarrely continues to generate the calls but not from a supervisor. And they don't understand why I'm so upset.

The Citibank system is impenetrable. They have my money and won't give it back and want more of my money (which is less than what THEY owe ME) but I can't get it resolved because no one in charge will speak with me. Plus, they're charging me interest for the privilege of them owing me money. I'm considering pulling out my safety whistle and blowing it HARD into the phone whenever they call. Short of that, I'm at my wits end.

Something similiar happened to DH. Had citibank when he lived in NY, served overseas and had his direct deposit going there. When he came home and moved to NJ he closed the account, but one last Direct deposit went in for about $250.00. Needless to say, 2 1/2 years later, we still do not have the money.

I mean its one thing when YOU owe THEM, but forget it...if THEY owe YOU...you are screwed.

We hate citibank too. LOL

vwpamperedchef said:
I mean its one thing when YOU owe THEM, but forget it...if THEY owe YOU...you are screwed.

Just like the military.....or government I should say!!LOL!!
But we do eventually get our momey from them!

Next time they call, tell them under the advice of your attorney, you will not discuss the matter until you have been contacted by a supervisor, which has not happened as of yet. The might act differently if they think you know your rights.

finley1991 said:
Next time they call, tell them under the advice of your attorney, you will not discuss the matter until you have been contacted by a supervisor, which has not happened as of yet. The might act differently if they think you know your rights.
And that you will consider any more phone calls prank calls and harassing and you will blow your whistle into the phone. Tell them to make sure to note that in your file because you know they will call back and you want the next person to have fair warning.

It's so disappointing to me that DH gets more results than I do. He waltzed into a Citibank branch near his work and got farther in 30 minutes than I have in 30 days. He arranged a conference call with the bank branch, me, and the credit card branch and I'm crossing my fingers that this is finally over. The lady at the branch was so helpful that after we were all done I offered to come into her branch and Pamper her. I explained that I was a PC consultant and I wanted to do something special for her because she made my day so much better. It turns out she is a regular host for my director! She thanked me for reminding her that she wanted to order another QSP for the summer.

1. Why did you have a frustrating experience with closing your Citibank account?

My experience with closing my Citibank account was frustrating because the process was not as straightforward as I expected. I encountered multiple roadblocks and had to spend a lot of time and effort to finally close my account.

2. What were some of the specific issues you faced while trying to close your Citibank account?

Some of the issues I faced included difficulty reaching a customer service representative, long wait times on the phone, and being transferred to multiple departments without a clear resolution. Additionally, I was given conflicting information and requirements for closing my account.

3. Did you eventually successfully close your Citibank account?

Yes, I was able to close my Citibank account after several attempts and escalations. However, the process took much longer than anticipated and caused a lot of frustration.

4. How did Pampered Chef assist you in this situation?

Pampered Chef provided me with support and guidance throughout the process of closing my Citibank account. They helped me navigate the confusing requirements and provided me with resources to escalate the issue when needed.

5. Would you recommend Citibank's services based on your experience?

Based on my experience, I would not recommend Citibank's services. While they may have good products and services, their customer service and account closing process need improvement. It was a frustrating and time-consuming experience that could have been avoided with better communication and organization.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Karen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • Shawnna
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cookindiva63
  • kcjodih