• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Fear of Making Business Calls: Tips from Experienced Entrepreneurs

In summary, Elizabeth is new to the PC world and is having difficulty making calls to book shows. She has been helped by the online training courses, but still has trouble with conversations with people she meets at shows. She suggests starting with introductions and thanking people for coming to the show. If they do not want the free product, she asks if they would like to be on a notification list for future events. If they do not want to be contacted, she offers her flier to them.
elizabethfox
Gold Member
I just started with PC in Oct, and I haven't quite become accustomed to making calls to book shows. That is the one thing, that I just can't seem to make myself do:( . No because I am afraid, but because I just don't know what to say. I am FINE with friends and family, but I don't know what to say to strangers whose names I got at shows. I know I need to start doing the 3-2-1 every day, because I want to do well with my business this year!!

Can anyone give me some ideas on what to say when I call someone I don't know, or even give me a "sample" of what you say to people you don't know when you call them??:confused:

Thanks,
Elizabeth :chef:

You could start by telling them where you met them and asking about the products they purchased. If you remember somthing about them it's always nice and an ice breaker.

Hi Elizabeth,

Have you taken any of the online training course on CC? They helped me tremendously!! They will really help you know what to say.

Angie

I am talking about like people you meet at shows ( vendor, bridal, etc.) who don't buy anything, but you get their names from like a drawing or something. Since they didn't buy anything, and they didn't check any of the boxes on the drawing slip....how do you start a conversation with them?? KWIM?

elizabethfox said:
I am talking about like people you meet at shows ( vendor, bridal, etc.) who don't buy anything, but you get their names from like a drawing or something. Since they didn't buy anything, and they didn't check any of the boxes on the drawing slip....how do you start a conversation with them?? KWIM?
I would start by reminding them that they stopped at your booth and filled out your drawing slip and ask what it was about the booth or PC that made them stop. If you want you can tell them they won a free cooking show (you bring the ingredients for a recipe of your choosing).

angmillar said:
Hi Elizabeth,

Have you taken any of the online training course on CC? They helped me tremendously!! They will really help you know what to say.

Angie

Yes I have. But it still is hard to think of what to say to them, without sounding like a recording. I have gotten a lot of great ideas and learned quite a bit from the training courses, but the phone calling to those who don't buy anything, but whose names you got from a drawing you held at a show, is still stumping me. I just don't know how to start a conversation with them! It is not like I can start off saying, "I was calling to see how you are enjoying your new PC items...", because they didn't BUY anything yet!!

I have not attacked these types of calls yet, but I do have a few I should make. How about thanking them for coming to "Jane's" show, and asking them if they enjoyed themselves and the recipe. Do they have any Pampered Chef products? And then add in something like, " Jane received over $100 (or whatever the free product value was) in free products that night for having her friends and family over. Does the thought of going on a shopping spree like that sound appealing to you?

Ask your director and see if he/she will do a role play with you.

elizabethfox said:
but the phone calling to those who don't buy anything, but whose names you got from a drawing you held at a show, is still stumping me. I just don't know how to start a conversation with them! It is not like I can start off saying, "I was calling to see how you are enjoying your new PC items...", because they didn't BUY anything yet!!

How about: Introduce yourself, remind them that they stopped by your booth; yes, they won a free party.

If they do not want it, ask if they would like to be on your notification list for when we change products, or recipe of the month, or to learn what the monthly specials are.

If none of this appeals to her, ask if you may keep her info and contact her in another year (6 mos, new season) and see if anything has changed.

IF you do not want to call, one of my team members made a flier that he sent to his "non grand prize winners" that had several coupons on it: Free party, free delivery w/i a 25 mile radius of the city the event was in, free spice with a $25 order. A week after he mailed these, he called each person to follow up.

Hope this helped.

1. How can I overcome my fear of making business calls?

One way to overcome your fear of making business calls is to practice. Start by making calls to friends or family members to get comfortable with speaking on the phone. You can also write out a script or talking points beforehand to help you feel more prepared. Additionally, take deep breaths and remind yourself that it's just a phone call and there's nothing to be afraid of.

2. What are some tips for making successful business calls?

Some tips for making successful business calls include being prepared with a clear purpose for the call, speaking confidently and professionally, actively listening to the other person, and being respectful of their time. It's also helpful to have a positive attitude and be open to building a relationship with the person you're speaking with.

3. How can I handle rejection or negative responses on business calls?

Rejection or negative responses are a normal part of business calls, and it's important to not take them personally. Instead, try to understand the reason for the rejection and use it as a learning opportunity for future calls. It's also helpful to have a positive mindset and remind yourself that rejection is not a reflection of your worth as a person.

4. How do experienced entrepreneurs handle fear when making business calls?

Experienced entrepreneurs often have their own strategies for handling fear when making business calls. Some may practice positive affirmations or visualization techniques, while others may focus on the potential benefits of the call, such as building a new business relationship or making a sale. It may also help to remind yourself that experienced entrepreneurs were once in the same position and also had to overcome their own fears.

5. Can I use technology to help with my fear of making business calls?

Yes, technology can be a useful tool for overcoming fear of making business calls. You can use features like call recording to review and improve your phone skills, or use video conferencing to make the call feel more personal and less intimidating. You can also use email or social media to reach out to potential clients before making a call, which can help ease any anxiety. However, it's important to not rely solely on technology and to still practice making phone calls to build your confidence and skills.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tinawhite07
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies
Views
irishpamperedchef
  • linojackie
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies