• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! I'm Bad at Host Coaching - Tips Needed!

In summary, the host does not want to be on the phone, and the consultant does not want to host. The consultant calls the host after the meeting and before the show to ask about attendance and to remind the host to send out the invitations. The host does not want to be on the phone, and the consultant does not want to host. The consultant calls the host right away to see if the host has checked their calendar for any problems with the date.
linojackie
I am so bad at host coaching! I don't like calling my hosts because I guess I'm afraid they'll say "I need to reschedule" or "nobody's coming" so I wait until the last minute and then they usually do cancel or I get a horrible attendance. For example, I have a party on Friday that I scheduled about a month ago, and I just called her for the first time tonight since I sent the host packet. She didn't answer, although she's famous for not responding and then sending an email the day before saying "I have 10 people coming, what are you making?

I also have really have a hard time keeping staying organized. Can anyone give me some tips and/or insight to get over my fears and get better at host coaching?

Thanks in advance for all your awesome advice!

Last edited:
I don't like calling either...either they're not home and you can never do a good job coaching, or you play phone tag, or they're busy....what I do is one-time person-to-person. I have them set this date and the date of the party at the same time, and I don't give her the host packet until the meeting. We get together, usually in their home. This does two things- we can go through the host packet together (this way I know they actually went through it!), and I can get an idea about their home- does it have stairs I'll have to carry my stuff up? Where will I set up? Etc... I still have them do the invites and reminder calls, but I do call after the meeting and before the show twice, usually leaving a message, asking about attendance and letting her know I'm excited for her show. This basically gives her a reminder to do the invites and reminder calls. I know this is long, but I hope it helps!

PS- I have NEVER had anyone cancel if we host-coached in person yet! (I've had plenty of cancellations of people that wouldn't commit to a meeting though!)

Hosts WANT to hear from the consultant! It took me a while to figure that out, too. But what finally did it was when I hosted a TW party about 6 months after I started with PC. The consultant never called me, and when I called her 2 days before my party to make sure she was still coming (and to give her directions), that's when I learned that she had never sent out the invites and was planning to cancel. We get so accustomed to the things that must be done for a successful show that it's easy to forget that our hosts don't know them (unless they're a rockin' repeat host). It's our job to keep in touch and teach them the tricks to having a successful show, because that's a better use of their time than one that barely qualifies.

Does anyone have a host coaching planning sheet they could share? Maybe if I used one of those I could stay more organized and on top of things??

PC has a great one on CC that you can check off as you make your 3 calls. Host coaching in very important, do not let the phone scare you!

I agree with Wadesgirl. The Host Information sheet i a great tool not only for scheduling and making the calls, but also for capturing other important info, such as the recipe and the tax rates. I follow the checklist for the calls, and I bring the sheet to the show so I get the tax rate right. When I wrap up a show, I keep my copies of the receipts and staple them to the host info sheet.

On the other hand, I identify with you, Jackie, especially with hosts who seem like they are not enthusiastic. Just remember, the earlier you work with them, the less likely they are to cancel -they see you making time for them.

Go for it!

I hate doing it also. We had some training at one of my cluster meetings so I'll post what she said she does... I haven't started it so can't say if it helps. :rolleyes:

If you get the booking at the show - give her the catalogs and the invitations that night (they are the most expensive pieces to mail). She slips 10 more invites in each postcard packet for a total of 50 (details later).

Call right away to see if she has checked her calendar for any problems with the date. (1-2 days after the show)

3 1/2 weeks out - call to set up the planning call time(a 20-30 minute block the host can set aside for a call)
3 weeks out - Do the planning call
goals: choose recipe, understand importance of attendance, understand how to take an order, understand timing of all of this
15 days out -call to tell her invites need to go out the next day
5 days out - call and tell her you "forgot" to get directions when you talked before - "I can mapquest but my experience tells me that everyone knows the "best" way to get to their home" Ask about attendance, encourage outside orders, encourage reminder calls.
1 day before - attendance and build excitement

She also says that you need to detiail out how many invitations they need to send - she gives 50, so say to your host:
I have never had 50 poepel at my shows because only about 1/3 of those you invite will show up -not because they don't like you but because people are busy so if you only give out
10 - you will only have 3 show up
20 you will have 6-7
30 you will have 10
40 you will have 12-13
50 you will have 16-17 - and that is perfect for a demonstration!

On the Planning call:
1. Ask questions about the crowd so you can tailor the show and select a recipe
2. Taking orders - explain how to tell her friends how to use the website
3. Attendance
4. Timing - look at calendar - mark date that invites need to go out (usually 1 week after this call)

Hope this helps - sorry it is long. She said the longest call is the planning call and the others are super short - and the invite reminder can be a message.

I have a three to four times to talk method. It's worked pretty well for me. I go by the PC call paper they are talking about in above posts.

Call 1: If I don't get ahold of them on the first time I call I leave a message saying I will send an email. I then send an email I have saved in my drafts folder that covers everything we go over in the first call. (PM me if you want a copy) I change dates and the host code for each host along with specials and recipes if need be. Then I follow up with them w/in the next two days to see if they have any questions and make decisions like who's sending invites and what recipe. I do this call about three weeks before the show. (I feel like I'm not taking up as much of their time this way.)

Call 2: two weeks before I like to get invites out so I call to check on those if I'm not doing them and do call number two. - outside orders, business op, etc... if they need more forms or catalogs, remind them of online ordering, go over our closing date again, see if there's any product they especially want me to bring.

Call 3: I usually check in again one week before the show to check on outside orders... and get a feel for attendance. I also remind them to make reminder calls. I admit that I sometimes make this call when I know they're not going to be home... It's more of a I'm here kinda call for me.

Call 4: the day before the show I call to get a final head count, directions, remind them what time I'm coming, check on ingredients and any recipe prep they need to do (defrosting and the like) and tell them what an awesome job they've done and how much fun we'll have.

Hope this helps!

1. How can I improve my host coaching skills?

To improve your host coaching skills, make sure to establish a clear communication plan with your host from the start. This includes setting expectations, providing them with all necessary information, and following up regularly. Additionally, make sure to personalize your approach and offer unique incentives to keep your host engaged.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when host coaching?

Some common mistakes to avoid when host coaching include being too pushy, not following up enough, and not providing enough support or resources to your host. It's also important to avoid over-promising and under-delivering, as this can lead to disappointed hosts and a negative experience.

3. How can I motivate my host to reach their goals?

To motivate your host, offer them incentives such as free products, discounts, or rewards for reaching their goals. You can also create a sense of friendly competition by setting up a leaderboard or offering a prize for the host who has the most successful party. Make sure to also provide constant support and encouragement to keep them motivated and on track.

4. What should I do if my host is not responding to my messages or calls?

If your host is not responding to your messages or calls, try reaching out through different channels such as email or social media. It's also a good idea to offer alternative methods of communication, such as setting up a virtual meeting or sending a text message. If all else fails, consider asking for help from a fellow consultant or your team leader.

5. How can I make host coaching more fun and enjoyable for both myself and my host?

To make host coaching more fun and enjoyable, try to personalize your approach and make it more interactive. This could include sending personalized invitations, creating fun games or challenges, or offering unique themes for the party. Additionally, make sure to keep the communication light and positive, and don't be afraid to inject some humor and personality into your interactions with your host.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchef.angel
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
monicag
Replies
Views
chefsteph07
  • caraighan
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies