• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Washer & Dryer Shopping: What Should I Buy?

In summary, after recarpeting and painting, the conversation turned to the need for a new washer and dryer in the midst of ongoing issues with the current appliances. The group recommends Maytag appliances, particularly the front load types. Many also suggest doing research before making a purchase, and some mention the use of high efficiency laundry soap for front loaders.
BethCooks4U
Gold Member
So, we just recarpeted 4 bedrooms (and painted) - haven't even paid for that yet. My washer has been sounding like a jet engine lately and my dryer door has to be held just so to start the dry cycle - these issues have been going on for months. Well, today I had a flood in my laundry room! ENOUGH!

So now I need a new washer and will get a dryer while I'm at it. So my question to you all is what should I buy? We are leaning toward the front load types.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE our new front load washer & dryer!!!! I would for sure get the drawer/stand for them b/c that makes them just the right height at least for me plus you get storage in the drawers below. The one we have the washer uses ONLY the special detergent for front loaders at first there wasn't many options to pick from but now more are coming out. Again, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!!

What kind do you have? Brand? Model?

BethCooks4U said:
So, we just recarpeted 4 bedrooms (and painted) - haven't even paid for that yet. My washer has been sounding like a jet engine lately and my dryer door has to be held just so to start the dry cycle - these issues have been going on for months. Well, today I had a flood in my laundry room! ENOUGH!

So now I need a new washer and will get a dryer while I'm at it. So my question to you all is what should I buy? We are leaning toward the front load types.

Ooo, how exciting that you get a new washer and dryer! After 20 years (they came with the house) our washer and dryer have begged us to stop repairing them, so today between the hours of 3&6 pm, they are delivering our new front loading Maytag Epic 9700 washer and dryer! I can't wait! It fits a king sized quilt in there, so I won't have to go to the laundramat just to wash our huge blankets anymore!

DH and I were only willing to go with Maytag because we have had such luck with all our Maytag products. What really sold us was that the washer and dryer that we have now are slightly over 20 years old, and although they are begging to cross over to the appliance heaven in the sky, they still work. We wanted something that we knew would work for a long, long time!!

I'll let you all know how they work after I wash and dry a few loads. I'm so excited to do laundry...which has never happened before.

I like the idea of a front loading washer and dryer, and no agitator. DH is building shelving and a base for the W&D to sit on-the shelves will have a counter top so to speak so I'll have somewhere to fold my clothes. I may actually end up with a fancy laundry room after all! :) Whoo-hoo

Have fun shopping for your new W&D- I feel your pain on the flooding, after we bought this hosue 6 years ago, the washer broke down twice in the first year, and ruined the new carpet in our lower level, and flooded the downstairs bathroom. It's a mess when it happens- that's for sure. It was more of a mess when the water heater exploded when we were in Jamaica- and the house sitter never noticed the sopping wet carpet when she watched TV in the lower level family room....

I just had to buy new washer and dryer, their maytag. I wanted a front loader but ours are in a closet and all front loaders were to big to fit:( I am happy with the ones we got though. It seems nothing lasts as long as it used to. My mom had a washer and dryer set for over 20 years.

Beth--My advice to you is go with Maytag appliances. They last a lot longer than anything else out there! :)

I just found out that I should be using that HE (high efficiency) laundry soap. I guess it is SUPER concentrated, and uses about 1/3 of what you would normally use with regular laundry soap. I'm sorta bummed because I just bought a new bottle of laundry soap in a festive lemon verbena scent. I guess I'm off to Target to get new soap, and return what I bought.

I agree with Tammy on the Maytag thing. We have been very pleased with the quality of those appliances. The kenmore and frigidaire appliances we have, we don't like...(the stove/oven and the dishwasher). Do your homework before you buy something. My DH and I will no longer purchase any appliance from Best Buy, or Sears (And I used to Manage a Sears!). They have lost our business for good. We went straight to the Maytag store for our new W&D. :)

Off to target for some HE laundry soap and rawhide for the doggies...

We have always been Maytag people. Then we moved and needed new appliances and were talked into another brand. Didn't even compare so when we moved here we went back to Maytag. We found that they were inferior in many ways to what we had before. We have been so unhappy with these 7 year old appliances (for at least the last 4 or 5 years - many repairs, etc) that we will not be buying Maytag.

I wish you luck with the Maytags you just bought! We probably just got lemons but...

Oh and our refrigerator is also a Maytag and it too has a lot of little things that have needed fixing or are asthetically not in good repair - I think these things should last for more than 5 years! The whole time I had 5 sons in the house my appliances held up much better than these - 2 teens for part of the time and now just us. Everythings disposable now.

Last edited:
BethCooks4U said:
Everythings disposable now.
That's so true! DH and I have a washer and dryer from 13 years ago, and I'm already dreading replacing them. Things just aren't built to last 20 years like they were when I was a kid.

2008 won't come soon enough! - and I better get on the phone and schedule more shows to pay for 2007...

Okay, I just replaced carpeting - paint and carpeting $4000.
Need new washer and dryer - $$$ to be determined thinking $1500-2000.

My husband hit a deer a few months ago. They "repaired" his car (transmission was obviously affected - they replaced a hose). Less than a month later transmission is slipping. After fighting with the insurance company they put a used transmission in his 2 year old car. Then the car wouldn't start or even turn over. Charged it for hours. Nothing. AAA came and said battery. $150 later car seems fine but sometimes the key won't come out of the transmission and today DH said the car wouldn't turn over again. This time he decided to try to put it in neutral - it then worked. So he sometimes can't start the car in park and sometimes the key won't come out. ...hmmm. The car doesn't always know it's in park and safe to start or let you take out the key... sounds like TRANSMISSION! SO, now we will have to fight with insurance again to cover whatever this will mean.

There's more but I've vented enough!

Glad this year is ending.

BethCooks4U said:
We have always been Maytag people. Then we moved and needed new appliances and were talked into another brand. Didn't even compare so when we moved here we went back to Maytag. We found that they were inferior in many ways to what we had before. We have been so unhappy with these 7 year old appliances (for at least the last 4 or 5 years - many repairs, etc) that we will not be buying Maytag.

I wish you luck with the Maytags you just bought! We probably just got lemons but...

Oh and our refrigerator is also a Maytag and it too has a lot of little things that have needed fixing or are asthetically not in good repair - I think these things should last for more than 5 years! The whole time I had 5 sons in the house my appliances held up much better than these - 2 teens for part of the time and now just us. Everythings disposable now.

Sorry your maytags didn't work the second time around. That is a bummer- and there is nothing worse than being stuck with appliances that aren't old enough to warrant buying new- which seems like a waste of good money spent... I think sometimes it depends on where you buy it, it shouldn't but I'm starting to think it does. Every appliace we have purchased from Best Buy, we have had major issues with. The same with Sears. So we started going straight to the Mom and Pop or for example The Maytag Store, and we've had much better luck!

I believe our new purchase will work wonderfully! I refuse to believe anything else. ;)

Kitchen Diva said:
I believe our new purchase will work wonderfully! I refuse to believe anything else. ;)
And I hope so too!!

We HAVE bought from the Maytag store - always. And we have moved many times so have purchased new appliances often so I really feel that the difference is today's quality.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

Don't get me started...I have a Maytag MAH6500AWW Front Loader Washer. I'd love to tell you how much I love it, but I have to be honest - I HATE IT! We've had it for about 3 1/2 years, and have had nothing but problems with it. We've had the Maytag guys here at least 5 times to fix it for various problems - we get intermittent error codes (still happens), the water that sits underneath STINKS to high heaven after it's done washing (there was actually a recall for this on the model before ours), it leaks from the bottom (was able to get that fixed), and the clothes definitely don't come out as clean as our old model. To help with the stink, I have to run a "Heavy Soil" cycle with just bleach when I'm done washing for the day. I do at least a load of wash every day, sometimes more, so every day I'm doing an "empty load". This model is supposed to save water, but that's not happening over here. Also, for the stink issue, if I close the door when the washing's done the stink is worse, so I have to leave it open (which scares me w/ the kids - I'm afraid they'll climb in, and it means the lights stay on).

I don't know if they still make this model - I hope not. My mom and cousin have the same model number and neither of them are happy. I'd love to get a new one, and I'm even willing to re-try a front loader (I do like that there's no agitator so it saves the fabric, but as mentioned earlier, it doesn't clean as well as my top loader did), but I just don't have the $1200 to replace it... I do have to say a huge thank you to the person in another thread that suggested using vinegar; since I've started doing that my clothes are coming out cleaner!

OK, wanna know what I really think? LOL!

Next topic...my Maytag refrigerator. According to the service people, there's nothing wrong with it. Then why, every third day, do I have to soak up water that runs under the crisper and onto my floor? New thread!

Have fun shopping Beth, and good luck!

I will have to check when I get home on the brand & model :) We bought ours at Best Buy & got the extended warranty haven't had to use it yet. We just bought our new home in Feb & it was a new built so no fridge or w/d. We also bought our fridge at best buy it was a damaged from delivery from factory & special order so it was discounted big time. The damage was to the door & handle it is one with 1 big door for fridge & 1 big door on bottom for freezer. Of course when they dlvd it it didn't work right :( We called & they sent out a repairman & he order the part needed to fix it under warranty PLUS he order a new door & handle under warranty too!!!! So we got a $2000+ fridge for under $1000 plus a $500 gift card which we used to buy the w/d with!!!!! I will check later today & post my model & brand. And like everyone is saying NO ONE makes things like they did 20 or so years ago. We're in the vacuum business & use to Eureka & Hoovers would run forever. Now they are pretty much throw away & replace every year or so....depending on the user & the way they take care of the unit. Plus it didn't help when Wal-Mart decided they wanted to start carrying them & they dictated to the manufactures how much they would cost them which in turn made the quality go down. Back in the day there weren't many vacs under $100 most were $200-$400. Now you see them at $35.....you get what you pay for and Wal-Mart and the other big box guys have helped the quality go down b/c they want a low price but high margin. How much do you think they make off the $35 units????? A woman just came in & said they have bought a vac a year for the past 5 years for about $100 each time & they are tired of it...I agree. BUT I do buy the plain jane dvd players b/c all I want is to watch them...in my eyes $30 and it last a year or so is ok w/me. New technology is coming out all the time & by the time you spend $300 its out of date in a week. Ok, I really got off the subject so I am going now. :)

I had the Kemore front loaders in my last house and I LOVED them!!

I dont know the name of them but my mom and dad have a top loader washer that does not have the agitator in them and when I have done laundry over thier I have really liked it.

Diane, my folks have the Maytag Neptune, and had similar issues that you have dealt with. If we have anything close to those issues, we will return it. Heck if I can get GM to buy my new car back I can get Maytag to take back a washer and dryer. :)
I'm still excited about them, and just got back from Target with my special (overly priced) HE laundry soap.

From what I've read online front loaders are new, so the bugs are being worked out- Maytag believes with their EPIC 9700 that the issues are worked out. The maytags we are replacing have an electronic key pad and they are the stackable full sized ones. We have never had any issues with the electrical, and most things that go wrong, DH can fix! :)

We have a Maytag fridge that was damaged by my (not so dear) BIL, and we have a cold spot in the back that turns anything that sits there for more than an hour into solid ice. To level the fridge we had to place wood under one of the legs...

I don't know why Maytag wouldn't help us with it, but we bought it from Best Buy and although it had a one year warranty, because we didn't purchase the extended warranty they wouldn't fix or replace it even though it was damaged within 1 hour of their delivering it. Oh well... live and learn. Never let your BIL who is crabby that you asked for his help to move, unpack your new fridge.

Jennie4PC said:
I dont know the name of them but my mom and dad have a top loader washer that does not have the agitator in them and when I have done laundry over thier I have really liked it.
I have a friend who bought those about 2 years ago, and really likes them. She said it was a maytag top loader with no agitator.

We needed something large enough to fit our king sized comfortor, and quilts, and blankets...which is why we went with a front loader.

DH is building the bases so that we don't have to spend over $400 for two flimsy bases. :) Gotta love being married to a handy guy! :) whoo-hoo

Friends of mine have LG frontloaders, and like them. I don't have model numbers, but they've had them for a couple of years.

I have Whirlpool washer and dryer and they're awful. They've had to be repaired 3 or 4 times each and are only 2 years old. The repairman said unfortunately, they're the best made on the market. If that's the best, I don't want to know about the worst. If the hurricane hadn't flooded and ruined my 25 yr old GE set, I'd still be using them. One repair each in all those years. Same issues with my Kenmore fridge. I won't ever buy another.

Are any of you with front loaders having the issue with clothing smelling after they finish? After reading the thread about that a while back, I asked a friend who has them and she said she has the same problem. Her daughter accused her of leaving them in the washer so long they soured. She takes them out as soon as they finish but they still smell bad. Could it be the special detergent they require you to use?

I'm glad this thread was started because I'll be in the market for all these appliances soon and now I'll know what to steer away from. Thanks!

Marisa,

I now add a half-cup or so of vinegar to my detergent cup, and that has worked wonders. I don't know who recommended it in an earlier thread (maybe Janet?) but I highly recommend it, too. And I only use half the detergent now.

Last spring we replaced our Neptune washer and dryer with the LG brand LOVE THEM!!
HATED the neptunes!! Never will buy Jenn air or Maytag appliances
we buy the He detergent at Sams

RebelChef said:
I have Whirlpool washer and dryer and they're awful. They've had to be repaired 3 or 4 times each and are only 2 years old. The repairman said unfortunately, they're the best made on the market. If that's the best, I don't want to know about the worst. If the hurricane hadn't flooded and ruined my 25 yr old GE set, I'd still be using them. One repair each in all those years. Same issues with my Kenmore fridge. I won't ever buy another.

Are any of you with front loaders having the issue with clothing smelling after they finish? After reading the thread about that a while back, I asked a friend who has them and she said she has the same problem. Her daughter accused her of leaving them in the washer so long they soured. She takes them out as soon as they finish but they still smell bad. Could it be the special detergent they require you to use?

I'm glad this thread was started because I'll be in the market for all these appliances soon and now I'll know what to steer away from. Thanks!

The sales person at the Maytag store we went to said that mold and mildew can build up in the older front loaders. When I was online today reading up on HE soaps for my new washer I read that instead of buying the special cleaner they have to run through your washer to rid it of any mold, etc...you could use dishwasher powder instead.

Thankfully our washer has a self cleaning option, that will clean out the holes in the basin and sanitize the entire washer.

The 20 year old set we just sent off with the deliver guys only had to be repaired about 4 or 5 times total in the 6 years that we owned them. My hubby was able to fix them each time. The family that sold us this house needed an electric washer and dryer, which we had, and we needed gas, which they had- however theirs was already 14 years old, and ours were only 4 years old. I think they got the better deal if you ask me. LOL

The guy that delivered our W&D (Roberto) said that we got a good set, and we'll really like it. He told us they've worked out most the kinks by the time they built this model, so I'm more than hopeful.

DH is off to Home Depot to get a better fitting thingy (yes that's a technical term) to hook up the gas line to the dryer. For some reason the old fitting won't create a tight seal, and DH is opposed to blowing up the house.:D

Okay. So we went shopping and bought a new washer and dryer to be delivered on Friday (1/4). Of course our builder put the washer hookups on the right and ALL front loads are meant to be washer on the left. We bought longer hoses so hopefully it will all fit.

Now don't laugh... we bought the Maytag Epic 9700 series front load w&d and the stands for under them. We discussed the canges at Maytag and were told that this series is a whole new line introduced and made by WHIRLPOOL. lol

Well, hopefully I'll like these - anything will be better then what I had.

Now I have to paint another room while it's torn up anyway.

BethCooks4U said:
Okay. So we went shopping and bought a new washer and dryer to be delivered on Friday (1/4). Of course our builder put the washer hookups on the right and ALL front loads are meant to be washer on the left. We bought longer hoses so hopefully it will all fit.

Now don't laugh... we bought the Maytag Epic 9700 series front load w&d and the stands for under them. We discussed the canges at Maytag and were told that this series is a whole new line introduced and made by WHIRLPOOL. lol

Well, hopefully I'll like these - anything will be better then what I had.

oops, I see you don't have them yet. Well I'll let you know how I like mine once DH gets them set up. :)

Now I have to paint another room while it's torn up anyway.
Yes, Maytag and Whirlpool merged but they still make their own washers and dryers...however the refridgerators are all made by whirpool because as our salesperson said...there really aren't that many things you can do with a fridge. I'll just continue living in my happy little bubble where Maytag made my washer and dryer. :)

How do you like the W&D by the way? DH had to run to Home Depot to get a better fitting for the gas line for the dryer. I guess the old fitting doesn't fit the new spiggot on the new dryer, and he's afraid of a leak.

Thanks, Diane. Actually, I was one of the ones who recommended the vinegar because I use it in my top loader. My kids are notorious for leaving clothes in the washer. I use vinegar for anything with an odor. I told my friend to try it also but haven't talked with her since then.

The LG brand has gotten very popular so when the time comes, I'll check those out. I love having new appliances but I detest having to shop for them. Takes me weeks to make up my mind. The fact that Whirlpool and Maytag are the same company now is one reason I'd go with something else. I just don't want to have to deal with the repair issues again. I live 45 miles from the nearest city and it's a pain getting someone out here. There's usually a wait of a couple of weeks so I have to drive 20 miles each way to a laundromat while I wait. Living out in the country may be nice but it's rarely convenient. lol

Kitchen Diva said:
Yes, Maytag and Whirlpool merged but they still make their own washers and dryers...however the refridgerators are all made by whirpool because as our salesperson said...there really aren't that many things you can do with a fridge. I'll just continue living in my happy little bubble where Maytag made my washer and dryer. :)

How do you like the W&D by the way? DH had to run to Home Depot to get a better fitting for the gas line for the dryer. I guess the old fitting doesn't fit the new spiggot on the new dryer, and he's afraid of a leak.
Our salesman said that Whirlpool makes the Maytag W & D that we bought. hmmm....

I just bought a washer today too. Bought a foreclosure home that didn't have any appliances in it, so we have to buy everything. Henceforth, and because I'm as much of a dutch girl as they come, I was looking for inexpensive. i have looked everywhere...Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Best Buy. I'm so tired of looking at appliances I can't see straight....

I ended up buying a Whirlpool top loader wash machine. I found it at a local scratch & dent appliance store. The dent is on the right side towards the back (yeah. Um. Who cares?). I got it for $250.00.

I also got a $750 refrigerator (which I had priced out at that price elsewhere...not just the S&D place saying it was that much) for $359. Again, dent on the right side towards the back. The wall will have to look at it, but it will just have to cope :)

He said he's getting gas dryers and stoves in on Monday. I told him I'd be back. He suggested waiting until the afternoon. I said, "Um. No. I'm gonna be helping you haul them off the truck so I get my hands on the best one."

DUTCH GIRL SCORES!

I'm such a geek!
BethCooks4U said:
Our salesman said that Whirlpool makes the Maytag W & D that we bought. hmmm....

DH said that the 9700 is the only Maytag that Whirlpool makes. I give up! :)
By the way, they are up and running now, and I put in the first load and actually watched it for about 15 minutes. The doggies came and watched with us. Laney found it quite interesting and got startled everytime the basin changed directions. Funny puppy!

I can't believe how long the cycles take compaired to our 20 year old Maytag pair. 10 minutes was the longest cycle, and the delicate cycle on the new one is 36 minutes! HUH!?!?

dianevill said:
Marisa,

I now add a half-cup or so of vinegar to my detergent cup, and that has worked wonders. I don't know who recommended it in an earlier thread (maybe Janet?) but I highly recommend it, too. And I only use half the detergent now.

Yes, I ALWAYS recommend it for many things over the last few months (laundry-related). I know a few others have chimed in too with it. It is great to use!

I'm glad it has worked for you too Diane!

janetupnorth said:
Yes, I ALWAYS recommend it for many things over the last few months (laundry-related). I know a few others have chimed in too with it. It is great to use!

I'm glad it has worked for you too Diane!
Does that work for top-loaders too? How much vinegar and how much detergent?

I have a top loader Linda...I always put about 1/2 cup vinegar in every load (I always do large loads).

It is great as a deodorizer and fabric softener. (Takes out sweat odors, food odors, urine odors when the kids are potty training and have an accident...)

I reduce the soap by a bit, often up to half like Diane said.

I'm going to give this a try. I love Oxi-Clean, but this sounds so much cheaper!

I use liquid fabric softener, will the vinegar take the place of that too?

The vinegar will soften clothes , yes, but it will also remove the fabric softener buildup that keeps your towels from being absorbent.

Kasey, I noticed the same thing. My washer takes like 3 times as long as my old one did. I thought I was just being impatient. lol

The vinegar does soften clothes - I'm allergic to fabric softener so I am very happy you ladies shared this tip with me! It's nice to have soft clothes again!

My new dishwasher takes twice as long as my old one. It's a lot quieter, though, so I guess it's worth it.

Thanks again, Janet and Marisa; I've shared your tip with friends and now they're all using vinegar, too. BTW, the store brands work as well as the name brands.

RebelChef said:
The vinegar will soften clothes , yes, but it will also remove the fabric softener buildup that keeps your towels from being absorbent.

Kasey, I noticed the same thing. My washer takes like 3 times as long as my old one did. I thought I was just being impatient. lol

We asked our sales person about this, and she said it was due to the machine using only 18 gallons of water vs. 45 gallons that the old top loading with agitators used. I guess less water and less soap equals more time sloshing around in the machine. I'll tell you this, at 1100 RPM's that thing spun my clothes so dry that the sensor on the dryer registered them as DAMP when I put them in! How flippin' cool is that?

I'm such a geek. :)

I know you have already bought....sorry its been crazy here. Our units are Frigidaire by Electrolux Home - Affinity Series - ATFB7000EPO & AEQB70000EPO are the models. I noticed when Larry does his clothes they stink sometimes. I thought it was b/c he didn't use enough laundry detergent. Maybe its the vinegar thing - maybe need to try that.

I know what you mean, Kacey. When hubby was working out of town and I had to use a laundromat, I always went for the front loaders. They held more and got the clothes dry enough to only need one cycle in the dryer. Now if I can only convince him the difference in price is worth it when we buy new ones. lol I really need to make alot of commission fast so I can buy them no matter how much he objects. :p

I changed from using regular laundry detergent and fabric softener to using Charlies Soap about a year ago and I'll never go back! Even when I "forget" a load in the washer I don't get a smell, and my clothes are showing less signs of wear!It's super concentrated, and very low sudsing. I use the powder, and that little bag really does do 80 loads!Welcome - Charlie's SoapYes, you can use it in the new HE machines, too.

According to my hubby, Maytag used to be great but now they are made by someone else so their quality has gone down. He's asleep right now so I can't ask him who makes them now. He has a couple of contacts in the appliance business so I will ask him for the companies who have the best record for not needing repairs. I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks for the info, Kitty! I just ordered it.

So those that use vinegar in the front load machines. Do you put it in the fabric softener cup? Someone said they put it in the detergent cup - is that before or after you put in the detergent or does it matter?

I currently use a "ball" with fabric softener in it. It goes right in the drum and opens at the "right" time during the cycle. Can I use this in the front load machine? From what I'm reading, some of the mold issues stem from the fabric softener cup build up... Also I never use a dispenser cup for detergent - do I HAVE TO with the front load? Or can I just put it in with the load?

A detergent cup? I guess my washer is old enough that the only detergent cup we have around here is in the dishwasher.Maybe that's why your clothes aren't coming out right - you're using the dishwasher with fabric softener in the spot dryer cup.

RebelChef said:
Thanks for the info, Kitty! I just ordered it.
I just ordered it, too! I have sensitive skin, so I hope it doesn't give me a rash. :) Should I still use vinegar? And if so, did we ever find out where us people with front loaders put the vinegar?

I put the vinegar in the detergent cup on my front loader (I put it in at the same time as the detergent, and only use half the amount of detergent it calls for, roughly 1/2 cup of vinegar). I've also heard others put it in the fabric softener dispenser but I haven't done that.

I'm not sure if you can just throw the detergent in w/ the load rather than putting it in the cup - I've always used the cup. I haven't tried the softener ball, as I'm too sensitive to the fabirc softener (no problems w/ the vinegar).

dianevill said:
I put the vinegar in the detergent cup on my front loader (I put it in at the same time as the detergent, and only use half the amount of detergent it calls for, roughly 1/2 cup of vinegar). I've also heard others put it in the fabric softener dispenser but I haven't done that.

I'm not sure if you can just throw the detergent in w/ the load rather than putting it in the cup - I've always used the cup. I haven't tried the softener ball, as I'm too sensitive to the fabirc softener (no problems w/ the vinegar).

Thanks, Diane! I use the special cups for putting soap, softener, bleach etc... I don't throw it in the with the load. I figure they went to all the trouble to build those cute little cups to put everything in, so there must be a reason as to why we should use them. I'm going to try the vinegar- it doesn't smell like vinegar when the load is done, does it?

Kitchen Diva said:
Thanks, Diane! I use the special cups for putting soap, softener, bleach etc... I don't throw it in the with the load. I figure they went to all the trouble to build those cute little cups to put everything in, so there must be a reason as to why we should use them. I'm going to try the vinegar- it doesn't smell like vinegar when the load is done, does it?
I'm just worried that they will get nasty after a while. I guess I should just schedule "detergent/fabric softener cup cleaning day" once a month or so and just keep ahead of it. lol

So, Diane, I want to be clear... half of the recommended detergent plus 1/2 cup vinegar in the detergent cup all at the same time and that's all you do? Clothes are clean and fresh and softened?

Thanks.

aside: my laundry room is now painted and ready for the new washer and drier (not coming until Friday though). The old w/d are still in the room - walked them around to paint - we'll let them move them out and then I'll do a quick final clean of the floor.

The other issue I have is that the manufacturers put the doors on the washer so that it should be on the left side and the builders (I understand that it's most builders) set up the area with the washer on the right. So we are getting 6 ft. hoses and cords and switching them. I don't see it as a problem now that I've measured though...

Oh, and, what about being able to move the w/d once they're installed. Say I want to change the tubing for the dryer vent or something falls behind the machine. Can they be moved while on the drawer stands? I NEED the stands to be able to use the front loaders because of my back but I am wondering if we will be able to "walk" them to get behind them when we need to??

AND... does it get warm in those drawers? Can I keep cleaning chemicals and rags in them or would that be unsafe?

Sorry this is so long and so many questions - I've been painting way too much this month. I think the fumes are killing brain cells.:p

it doesn't smell like vinegar when the load is done, does it?

Nope, it doesn't. It rinses clean so leaves no odor, unlike bleach. Am I the only one who thinks whites 'smell' clean when they still smell a bit like bleach? I know it's weird but I guess it's like when you clean house and everything smells like lysol cleaner or something. It just reinforces it in your brain that it's clean. I may need a lobotomy to get used to no smell in my clothes using the Charlies Soap. lol

I have a top loader, I pour vinegar in with the water.No, your closes don't smell like vinegar.I swear by vinegar - it is my only fabric softener now.Also, sometimes I'll "prewash" clothes in it if we've been out doing winter sports or working a lot or if someone used too much detergent in the microfiber towels!

BethCooks4U said:
I'm just worried that they will get nasty after a while. I guess I should just schedule "detergent/fabric softener cup cleaning day" once a month or so and just keep ahead of it. lol

So, Diane, I want to be clear... half of the recommended detergent plus 1/2 cup vinegar in the detergent cup all at the same time and that's all you do? Clothes are clean and fresh and softened?

I don't have the stand, so I can't help you with any of those questions :( . You are right, Beth, on the amount of vinegar and detergent I use, and my clothes smell like, well, nothing:D . My cups don't get all gunked up - water runs through after the detergent, bleach, fabric softener. With gunkiness, no problems - I just wish the error codes would go away completely!

<h2>1. What are the main differences between front load and top load washers?</h2><p>Front load washers typically use less water and energy, have a higher capacity, and are more gentle on clothes compared to top load washers. However, top load washers are generally more affordable and have a faster wash cycle.</p><h2>2. Which is more efficient, gas or electric dryers?</h2><p>Gas dryers tend to be more efficient and cost less to operate compared to electric dryers. However, the initial cost of a gas dryer is typically higher.</p><h2>3. Should I consider getting a matching washer and dryer set?</h2><p>While it may be aesthetically pleasing to have a matching set, it is not necessary. You can mix and match different brands and models as long as they fit in your laundry space.</p><h2>4. What features should I look for in a new washer and dryer?</h2><p>Some important features to consider include capacity, energy efficiency, noise level, and special wash/dry cycles. You may also want to consider additional features such as steam cleaning, smart technology, and extended warranties.</p><h2>5. How do I properly maintain my new washer and dryer?</h2><p>To ensure the longevity of your new appliances, it is important to clean the lint trap after each use, regularly clean the inside of the washer and dryer, and check for any clogs in the water hose. You should also avoid overloading the washer and dryer and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use.</p>

1. What are the main differences between front load and top load washers?

Front load washers typically use less water and energy, have a higher capacity, and are more gentle on clothes compared to top load washers. However, top load washers are generally more affordable and have a faster wash cycle.

2. Which is more efficient, gas or electric dryers?

Gas dryers tend to be more efficient and cost less to operate compared to electric dryers. However, the initial cost of a gas dryer is typically higher.

3. Should I consider getting a matching washer and dryer set?

While it may be aesthetically pleasing to have a matching set, it is not necessary. You can mix and match different brands and models as long as they fit in your laundry space.

4. What features should I look for in a new washer and dryer?

Some important features to consider include capacity, energy efficiency, noise level, and special wash/dry cycles. You may also want to consider additional features such as steam cleaning, smart technology, and extended warranties.

5. How do I properly maintain my new washer and dryer?

To ensure the longevity of your new appliances, it is important to clean the lint trap after each use, regularly clean the inside of the washer and dryer, and check for any clogs in the water hose. You should also avoid overloading the washer and dryer and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Teresa Lynn
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies