• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did I Make the Right Choice with My New Washer?

In summary, Rhonda bought a new washer and dryer set and is excited to get them. She is also worried about the future and how her old appliances will hold up.
pampchefrhondab
Well if you read my other post you know my washer was on it's last leg. I had my repairman out today and he said it would be too much to fix - I should just get a new one! I was so hoping I could get it to last another year or two!

I went to Lowes and then Sears tonight to get one ordered. I ended up getting the Whirlpool Cabrio set of washer/dryer. The washer is a top loader. It had the best review on Consumer Reports. I hope I will be happy with them!

I got a good deal though. They were on sale, plus Sears had a 15% rebate if you bought two appliances. I got free delivery because they couldn't deliver them until NEXT Friday! They advertise they have next day delivery! (I can't believe I have to wait an entire week!) I also got not interest no payment on my Sears card:)!

Yay, Rhonda! We had an appliance break down yesterday...walked into my garage to find a pond in there. Ugh. Had to buy a new water heater and then mop up the mess that we had in the garage. So I feel your pain on the financial side, but also your happiness about new appliances. :) Weird, right?

Glad you got a good deal, Rhonda. Our dryer died on Wednesday night. I was finishing up my laundry (The Furry Guy does his own). One the last load, the dryer wouldn't start. It does that sometimes. The motor gets a little overheated, and you have to let it cool down. It was late in the evening, so I left a note for The Furry Guy to please start it. I awoke to a note saying, "Motor burned up!"Since we paid $20 for it 8 years ago at a rummage sale, we feel like we definitely got our money's worth. ;) Thankfully, all of the laundry is done, so it's not a panic situation.* The Furry Guy often has an extra of our older appliances, just in case. However, the dryers he has gotten in the last couple of years have all been given to friends and acquaintances who had a more immediate need. He tracked down a decent deal, but we'll be visiting used appliance places on Saturday morning just in case. *The great thing is that we have an amazing network of friends. The Furry Guy called a few of them to ask if they knew of anyone trying to sell a dryer. A couple of them did some checking, which led to a good lead. Many of them offered the use of their own washers and dryers if we needed them. I love our friends. :)

Oh my gosh Rae, actually my dryer still works and I'm going to be selling it! You are only about 60 miles from me! If you are interested let me know. My repair man said I could list if for $75, but I would take $30 for it. He said it has a lot more life in it since he just repaired it about a year ago. It is a gas dryer though - not sure if you need electric or gas:)!

P.S. - I wouldn't be able to have to get it until next weekend though after my new one arrives:)!

sklay723 said:
Yay, Rhonda! We had an appliance break down yesterday...walked into my garage to find a pond in there. Ugh. Had to buy a new water heater and then mop up the mess that we had in the garage. So I feel your pain on the financial side, but also your happiness about new appliances. :) Weird, right?

We just had to replace our water heater last year so I know your pain too! We were very lucky though because it started dripping water right before we went on a week and a half vacation! God was looking out for us there!

This is going to be the story of our lives the next few years. We had our house built 20 years ago so everything was new and now is getting old!

We already got quotes to replace the furnace - that is the next project. Hoping it will hold up through the winter so we can see how my husband's new job goes before spending any more money!

Don't forget, no matter what, ask if you can write part of the cost off......don't you wash your apron/towels from each show and from testing all your recipes at home first?

Just a thought. :confused: I thought I saw or heard that someone had done that, figured I throw it out there.

Lisa

pampchefrhondab said:
Oh my gosh Rae, actually my dryer still works and I'm going to be selling it! You are only about 60 miles from me! If you are interested let me know. My repair man said I could list if for $75, but I would take $30 for it. He said it has a lot more life in it since he just repaired it about a year ago. It is a gas dryer though - not sure if you need electric or gas:)!

P.S. - I wouldn't be able to have to get it until next weekend though after my new one arrives:)!

Thanks, you're so sweet! Unfortunately, we're looking for an electric dryer. If I hear in the next week or so of anyone who needs a gas one, though, I'll let you know.

Oh, too bad you need electric. I would have loved to have met you in person:)!

I'd like that, too, Rhonda. I'm in northern Indiana frequently. Maybe we can arrange a meeting.

Oh that would be great! I'm just south of Fort Wayne - isn't your director in/near Fort Wayne?

My director is in New Haven. I'm in Fort Wayne at least once a month. I'll let you know the next time I'm headed that direction.

Great! I hope it's one of the days I'm off my PT day job:)!

Do you have a regular schedule, or does it vary from week to week?

I feel for you!! We had to replace our old washer/dryer last year....thanks to Dave Ramsey's plan, we had enough to pay cash on a top loader, no frills set!

1. What are the most common reasons for needing to get a new washer?

The most common reasons for needing to get a new washer include old age, mechanical failure, and irreparable damage. Other reasons may include a malfunctioning control panel, excessive noise, or leaks.

2. How often should I replace my washer?

The lifespan of a washer can vary depending on usage and maintenance, but most washers should be replaced every 8-12 years. It is important to regularly check for signs of wear and tear and consider replacing your washer if it is showing signs of old age or frequent breakdowns.

3. Should I repair or replace my washer?

This can depend on the extent of the damage and the overall condition of your washer. In general, if the cost of repairs is more than half the cost of a new washer, it is more cost-effective to replace it. Additionally, if your washer is outdated or nearing the end of its lifespan, it may be a better decision to invest in a new one.

4. What should I look for when purchasing a new washer?

When purchasing a new washer, there are a few key factors to consider. These include the size and capacity of the washer, energy efficiency, and features such as different wash settings and a quiet motor. It is also important to consider your budget and read reviews from other customers.

5. Do I need any special tools or skills to install a new washer?

Installing a new washer typically requires basic plumbing and electrical skills. You may also need a wrench, screwdriver, and level to properly install the washer. If you are not comfortable with these tasks, it is recommended to hire a professional for installation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • janezapchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Shell Northway
  • BethCooks4U