• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Saving Money: Homemade Laundry Detergent

In summary, making your own laundry detergent can save you money in the long run as the ingredients are typically cheaper and you can make a large batch. The main ingredients are washing soda, borax, and a bar of soap, with the option to add essential oils and vinegar. The amount needed per load may vary, but generally 1-2 tablespoons is enough. Homemade detergent is safe for all types of washing machines, but it's best to check the manual for specific recommendations. It can also be used for most types of laundry, but may not be effective for heavily soiled or stained clothing.
esavvymom
Staff member
Make your own laundry detergent!

I have been doing this almost 4 years now. A host/customer put me onto the idea, so I gave it a try. It so easy, and so cheap!!! I hate soending $14-15 or so for a bottle of liquid HE detergent. but making my own is cheap!

The recipe and directions are at this site:
Making Homemade Laundry Soap

I saved my old laundry dtergent jugs to put my homemade solution in. It doesnt take long to do. One of my other hosts discovered that our Microplane graters does a fabulous job grating the soap that you use.

And I have a front load HE washer, and it works wonderfully with it. Great for folks with soap allergies and sensitive skin too!

Savings....well, the soap costs about 0.01-0.02 cents per LOAD. Vs what, 0.40 cents or more with what you buy in the store?

This is a great idea! At the very least buy a huge Kirkland jug at Costco. Lasted me almost a year! :)

I have thought about making my own laundry detergent I really need to try it.

I have the ingredients, and I'm waiting to use up my current stash of laundry detergent before making some.

Hi there! I completely agree, making your own laundry detergent is a game changer. Not only is it cost-effective, but it's also better for the environment and your skin. Plus, it's a fun DIY project! I love using my Microplane grater for the soap too - it makes the process so much easier. And I've also found that it works great in my front load HE washer. Thanks for sharing the recipe and directions - I'll definitely be trying it out! The savings are definitely a huge bonus. Happy laundering!

1. Can I really save money by making my own laundry detergent?

Yes, making your own laundry detergent can save you a significant amount of money in the long run. The ingredients for homemade laundry detergent are typically cheaper than store-bought detergents, and you can make a large batch that will last for multiple loads of laundry.

2. What ingredients do I need to make homemade laundry detergent?

The main ingredients for homemade laundry detergent are washing soda, borax, and a bar of soap. You can also add essential oils for fragrance and white vinegar for extra cleaning power.

3. How much homemade laundry detergent should I use per load?

This will depend on the size of your load and the strength of your detergent. Generally, 1-2 tablespoons of homemade detergent is enough for a regular load of laundry. You may need to adjust the amount based on your individual needs.

4. Is homemade laundry detergent safe for all types of washing machines?

Yes, homemade laundry detergent is safe to use in all types of washing machines, including high-efficiency (HE) machines. However, it is always a good idea to check your machine's manual for specific recommendations.

5. Can I use homemade laundry detergent for all types of laundry?

Homemade laundry detergent is safe to use for most types of laundry, including whites, colors, and delicates. However, it is not recommended for use on heavily soiled or stained clothing. In these cases, it is best to use a commercial detergent or pre-treat the stains before washing with homemade detergent.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• GeorgiaPeach
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
GeorgiaPeach
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam