• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating School, Work, and Family: My Journey to a PharmD

well, endless. It really depends on what area of pharmacy you want to go into. The thing to remember is that pharmacists are usually in high demand, so if you like the work and you are able to do it well, you'll be in good shape.
ahammons
Let me just tell you how smart I am...
I went to a business college straight out of high school b/c I just "knew" that I wanted a degree in Office Administration. Well, guess what - I have a degree that I still haven't used. While in college, I was offered a job as a pharmacy tech and I fell in love with that type of work, so I kept my job instead of looking for one in business. Once DH and I had our son, we decided that I would stay home with him...and with our second. Then I had the brilliant idea to go back to school! I'm just taking online classes for a certificate program right now, but I would love to go back and get a PharmD. So if I start my pre-pharmacy classes next fall, get accepted into the professional program (assuming I get accepted the first year that I apply), I will be in school until 2014!
Could someone please tell me what I was thinking?? I'm taking a break from my Pharmaceutical Calculations homework right now, and my brain literally hurts! Only 4 more chapters til I'm done w/ this book - yippee! :)
How on earth am I going to be able to handle school with 2 kids? I'll probably have to work as well (hopefully just do a lot more PC shows) to pay for college. I can barely handle my online classes w/ my 3yr old and 1 yr old. :confused:

Okay, I'll stop babbling now - I'm just really getting myself stressed out.
Maybe 5 more minutes, then I'll get back to studying. lol

A family friend's daughter is just doing her clinical things now, and is almost done with her PharmD. The offers that she has gotten is absolutely amazing... and the number of places that want to pay her loans for her as well! If this is what you are truely passionate about, I say do it!Now, with your little ones....maybe it just isn't the right time. At this point in your life, what is waiting another 1-2 years to start the degree? Can you apply for the program over and over, and if you get in, decline it? If so, I would say to definitely apply, then really make the decision once you are accepted. No need to stress yet :)But, good luck!!!

There are two questions you must ask yourself:1) How old will you be in 2014 when you finish pharmacy school?2) How old will you be in 2014 if you don't finish pharmacy school?Gopher it - and your kids will also learn the value of an education.

Thanks! The college I'm looking at only accepts 96 students out of 500-600 who apply each year. They encourage you to re-apply if you don't get accepted right away. As far as being able to turn them down, I think they give you a 2 week period to decide.

I'm not as worried about the first two years (pre-pharm) b/c I can take them at a college much closer to home. I can take some of them online as well. I have definitely been thinking of waiting until my kids are in school - especially since we've decided to start trying for baby #3 (he/she will be our last) when my husband gets back from Korea. But many pharmacy colleges are starting to require BS degrees for admission; if I wait too long, I may have to be in school even longer! But with my DH being active duty, I'm worried about having to transfer schools as well.

Oh well, I will figure it out as the time comes. :) I will only be 31 in 2014, so it won't be that big of a deal if I get a later start than planned. I've known several pharmacists who didn't begin school until they were in their 30's or 40's - one was even in her 50's! So I know it is possible! :D

That's such a demanding and in-demand profession that I think it would be very fulfilling, especially because it sounds like you really like the work. If you start, you can always drop back to part-time if "real life" demands more of your time.

Good luck with your decision.

jenniferknapp said:
A family friend's daughter is just doing her clinical things now, and is almost done with her PharmD. The offers that she has gotten is absolutely amazing... and the number of places that want to pay her loans for her as well!

That's great that she's almost done! The opportunities for pharmacists are really awesome - they are in high demand right now. I'm sure she'll be happy to see all of her hard work pay off. :)

My friends SIL is a phamacist and she gets paid way awsome and she only works like 1-2 days a week they have 1 baby and will soon get a 2nd baby.

Best wishes. The trick to a great career is finding something you'd do for free, then convincing someone to pay you for it. The time you spend getting this degree will be worth it if you get a chance to do something you love.

1. How did you balance school, work, and family while pursuing your PharmD?

It was definitely a challenge to balance all three, but I made sure to prioritize my time and communicate effectively with my family and employer. I also utilized time management techniques such as creating a schedule and setting realistic goals.

2. What motivated you to pursue a PharmD while also working and taking care of a family?

I have always had a passion for healthcare and helping others, and becoming a pharmacist allowed me to combine my love for science with my desire to make a positive impact on people's lives. My family also served as a strong source of motivation and support throughout my journey.

3. Did you face any challenges or obstacles while navigating school, work, and family?

Yes, there were definitely challenges along the way. Balancing coursework with a full-time job and family responsibilities was often overwhelming, and there were times when I had to sacrifice certain things in order to stay on track. However, with determination and support, I was able to overcome these obstacles.

4. How did you manage stress and avoid burnout during your journey to a PharmD?

I made sure to prioritize self-care and relaxation, whether it was taking breaks throughout the day or setting aside time for hobbies and activities that I enjoyed. Additionally, I sought support from friends, family, and fellow classmates when needed.

5. What advice do you have for others trying to balance school, work, and family?

My biggest piece of advice is to prioritize and communicate effectively. Make a schedule and stick to it, and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Also, remember to take care of yourself and don't be too hard on yourself if things don't go as planned. It's all about finding a balance that works for you and your unique situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
Replies
Views
speedychef
Replies
Views
Saturday Gourmet