• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Parents: Navigating Online School with a Teenager

In summary, Kelly is going to school online to get her bachelors degree. She has set times, set goals, and enforced it. She also set breaks. Her oldest niece has been home-schooled throughout their education, and their classes have been online. Kelly thinks it has been a positive experience. She has a plan for other activities, but doesn't know if a church or a summer youth group will work out.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Hey all. My DSD is going to be starting online school next week. She is almost 17 and is currently a junior. Any advice?

DH and I are making her do "school" from 8-2 each day so she doesn't think she can stay up all night...and then sleep in half of the day. Her bedtime will be 11:00 at the latest, with no phone after 10PM. She is not allowed to make or take phone calls during 8-2.

Also...we will be helping her work on getting her drivers license over the next few months (has VERY LITTLE drive time from when she was living with her mom) and she WILL be getting a job for probably 25 hours per week.

Any thoughts?
Suggestions?
What are your experiences with OLDER kids and online school?

kelly - i am 22 but i have completed my final 2 years of my bachelors degree online (i will be a college grad in december!!). i know there is a big difference from 17-22 but here is my advice:

-set scheduled time & enforce it.
-also set breaks. even in high school they get passing periods & lunch times.
-look for signs that shes struggling. its really hard learning from a computer as opposed to having a teacher or professor. if shes struggling - consult a tutor. you can probably even find a college student at the local community college who would be more than willing to help.

it sounds to me like you have a very good plan in place. ive got senioritis right now. plus i work full time. so my boyfriend has to literally place my books in front of me when i get home from work. otherwise ill make excuses as to why i have to "do it tomorrow."

good luck.

Kelly, I agree with Meghan. I am going to school online to get my bachelors. Set times, set goals, and enforce it.

Kelly, my nieces have been home-schooled throughout their education, and as teenagers, most of their classes have been online. They actually watch a teacher online for some of their classes. The oldest just graduated this Spring, and went to a graduation ceremony in Florida (they made it a family vacation) with all the other home-school graduates in her virtual classroom. From what I know, it has been a positive experience for them. I do know that there could be no goofing around or skipping sessions though, or they would get behind very quickly.

You have a very good plan in place, but yes, watch the time in front of a computer. Have SCHEDULED breaks so she can rest but still does school and doesn't get distracted.Do you have a plan for other activities of a social, musical or athletic nature? Maybe there is a class at a local Y that can be a part of gym or take a field trip with her and the younger kids to learn. Something to break it up once in awhile and something where she can meet kids her age. I'd suggest a church youth group but I know it make take a bit for you to get her to go to something like that. Maybe your church youth group has some social events she can attend though. She needs to get some positive influences around her age so she can see that not just adults are responsible, kids her age are too.

Have a designated "school" place for her to work...comfortable (seat, desk) yet not too comfortable... she falls asleep :yuck:!

Janet...she will be getting a job very close to our house, with our hopes that she will meet other kids her age that go to our High School (so she will attend next year)

I am looking into some churches...we have one that actually meets at the high school (it's an offshoot of a larger church about an hour away and they just haven't found a spot to build in our area yet) and I know someone who works for that church. She spoke with the youth director and he said they have about 25 very regular attenders in the high school program, with 15 of them being girls. Plus...he said there are very few (as in 2-3) who have grown up "in the church" and who "have it all together" but that most of them are closer in personality and life problems to Britt. I am going to talk to DH about visiting that church on Sunday.

We also have a Y but I am not sure about swinging that one into our budget...heck, I don't know how we are gonna add a 16 year old to our insurance, even if she has a job and is paying for most of it!!

I am really hoping that this church and their youth group is a good fit...plus it's only about 8 minutes away as opposed to almost 30 minutes away like our present church. (Which, is so small NO ONE is her age there...)

Kitchen2u said:
Have a designated "school" place for her to work...comfortable (seat, desk) yet not too comfortable... she falls asleep :yuck:!

She will be getting a school computer (provided by the online school) so we are going to set up her "school" in her room so everything is in one place. She has plenty of space to put a desk and such in there and still not be overcrowded in there! Plus...if she is upstairs on our main floor, I can see what's going on better. Our basement is partially finished, so my DH's computer and another computer and TV are down there. That's more of the "play" area, so I don't want her down there.

Doesn't the y have a homeschool program? I would ask about that....

thecougchef said:
Doesn't the y have a homeschool program? I would ask about that....

Meaning a discount for those who are homeschooled? Never thought to ask!

I work at a Science Museum and we have a homeschool program for students. It's once a month that they come in and have a science class. It's different each month and we also have a dissection series. That way it gives homeschoolers a chance to get in a lab and work. All of our educators have degrees. I don't know if you have any local museums or someplace like that that you could take her to.

Often, even though homeschooled, she can attend local HS events...Does she have an interest in extra-curricular activities outside of driving and her boyfriend?

Some school districts alllow home schoolers in their programs ... some don't.Check into home-school co-ops ... they might be able to provide support if they don't dismiss you ... some are really testy about the difference between online school and "true" homeschooling.And if it's the on-line school I'm thinking of ... a friend of mine teaches science for them! (I think she works mostly with kids with special needs now, though ...)

I didn't read through all the responses. But, I finished my BS degree online two years ago. My suggestion is to set times for study...don't procrastinate, just get it finished. Don't rush through it. Be sure to read what you are suppose to or you won't "get" it. For any class you are struggling with, get a tutor before you get too overwhelmed.

1. What is the cost of the online school experience?

The cost of the online school experience varies depending on the specific courses and programs offered. Please visit our website or contact a Pampered Chef representative for more information on pricing.

2. Are there any prerequisites or requirements for participating in the online school experience?

Each course may have its own set of prerequisites, such as previous course completion or specific skills. Please check the course description on our website for more details. Generally, our online school experience is open to anyone interested in learning more about Pampered Chef products and techniques.

3. How long are the online school experience courses?

The duration of the courses varies, but most are designed to be completed within a few weeks. Some may be self-paced, while others have set start and end dates. Please refer to the course description for specific information on course length and timing.

4. Can I access the online school experience on my mobile device?

Yes, our online school experience is accessible on most mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets. However, for the best experience, we recommend using a desktop or laptop computer.

5. Is there a certificate or accreditation for completing the online school experience?

At this time, our online school experience does not offer any certificates or accreditation. However, you will receive a confirmation of completion for each course you successfully finish. These can be used for personal or professional development purposes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered.chris
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Addie4TLC
  • cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
Replies