• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are There Any Elementary School Teachers Out There?

not good.3. Are there opportunities for extra income by doing after school tutoring or teaching in summer school? Yes! I do a lot of tutoring and have been tutoring in the afterschool program at my son's school since he was in second grade. Teaching in summer school is a great way to make some extra money and it's a great opportunity to get to know your students. 4. Do you have any suggestions as far as student loans? (This is a big one for me since I've never had to take out a student loan and being unemployed it really scares me).Yes! Definitely! My suggestion would be to find a teacher loan that has flexible repayment
jj16
Gold Member
I didn't see anywhere else to post this so I hope this is the right place.

I'm considering going back to college to get a B.A. in Education. This is a big change for me since I used to be a Dump Truck Driver.

I've been unemployed since May. I have a B.A. in Social Behavioral Sciences but have never been able to find a job with it. I've been told that my degree is now too old (I graduated in 1991)

My questions are as follows:

1. Can you balance teaching along with PC?

2. In your opinion what are the pros and cons of the profession?

3. Are there opportunities for extra income by doing after school tutoring or
teaching in summer school?

4. Do you have any suggestions as far as student loans? (This is a big one for me since I've never had to take out a student loan and being unemployed it really scares me).

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

jj16:confused:

Within my cluster is 3 emementary teachers.. Also one of the top sellers in PC is a school teacher from Ohio, if I remember correctly.

I have been a teacher for 29 years - LOVE IT!!! I taught elementary for 23 years (10 in art and 13 in kindergarten). I am now back to teaching art at our middle school (6 years) - my choice. I have been selling PC for 5 years and they make a very nice blend - I set my schedule. The only rule I have for myself - no Friday night or Saturday shows. Till the end of the week, I am ready to relax. And I do 4-6 shows a month.

I'm not sure how your area is, but elementary teachers are plentiful. I would suggest adding on special education. And in our district, you can sign up for various after-school duties and get paid an additional per hour rate that is added onto our salary.

As far as funding - check with the college you will be attending. There is tons of federal money for returning adults.

I'm a elementary school teacher & started selling pc when I started the credential program & had to teach for free.It works really well. You pick the days you want to work (my show schedule is wed, fri, sat) & I can work in the afterschool programs if I so choose.Now I received a federal grant (APPLE, not sure if it's available in every state). They will pay back up to $28,000 after 5 full years of work (teaching). Every year they cut a check to my loan. I don't teach summer school because that's travel time w/ my family, conference & I kick up my pc biz during this time as well.

I am currently working on my teaching degree! I'm a busy college student and am doing some student teaching this semester. Not only is Pampered Chef just about the ONLY job that fits into my schedule, but I think that it is absolutely perfect for teachers! It's great practice for getting up in front of an audience (although teaching to elementary students might be different--I will be teaching high school!).

jj16 said:
I didn't see anywhere else to post this so I hope this is the right place.

I'm considering going back to college to get a B.A. in Education. This is a big change for me since I used to be a Dump Truck Driver.

I've been unemployed since May. I have a B.A. in Social Behavioral Sciences but have never been able to find a job with it. I've been told that my degree is now too old (I graduated in 1991)

My questions are as follows:

1. Can you balance teaching along with PC?
Definitely! I've been teaching 17 years and 5 years PC. As a teacher, my organization skills are an asset to my business. I pick the days I want shows, and only offer two Saturdays a month, because I want my weekends free.
2. In your opinion what are the pros and cons of the profession?
I love watching my 10 year olds learn. Though I've been teaching for years, I constantly create and feel every year is a new year, but to be honest, my husband is working on his Cisco engineering degree, so I can quit teaching. I'm having to give up more and more of ME and teach to the testing. I really love PC and I'm a great teacher at that. This year I've really felt that teaching isn't fun like it used to be. I've already had 4 test to administer to my class and our state writing is in Feb. Next year they are adding another test! Our economy is awful here, and I'm so glad I have a job. It's hard when I know a $58,000 is hard to come by.
teaching in summer school?
I teach in our after school program once a week, which adds about $200 to my paycheck. Very worth it. I also cook at outdoor school every year and get paid for it! I use the apple peeler corer slicer and other PC products.
4. Do you have any suggestions as far as student loans? (This is a big one for me since I've never had to take out a student loan and being unemployed it really scares me). I received academic scholarship the first year, and worked as a photo editor for the school newspaper year two and had full-ride. I had just two years, and my parents used an inheritance. I did, though, pay very little for my masters degree. I worked for school districts that offered reimbursement for college credits. I am continuing my education now to move up the pay scale. There are a lot of grants available for those that may be wanting to work in smaller rural areas. You might look into that.

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

jj16:confused:
Posted above

I would agree about the Elementary positions being hard to find. However, I think you need to teach were you feel comfortable. I also had a bachelors degree that I did not use. I subbed for a year before deciding to go to school to get my license. Is that an option in your state? We just require a BA in anything. I had been with PC almost 5 years when I started school. I found a program that I earned my masters and teaching license with the old BA not having to get another BA in Education. That was well worth it and something you should look into. PC made it possible I subbed or took classes then did shows in the evenings and weekends and I earned TPC during my last year when I was doing practicum and student teaching. I got really organized with it! I was fortunate and got a job after 1 year of subbing. I love both my jobs and if I had to quit one I don't know what I would do! I do PC full time (earned level 3) and teach full time 3rd grade.

I did get a loan through the student loan but as little as possible and paid what I could from PC and subbing. Since you have your BA there is no free money for you.

Hope that helped some. You reminded me of me with the old degree that your not even using. I never used mine.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded.I'm still trying to make a decision but I did want to say thanks!!jj16

Good luck in your decision! If you choose to teach, PC works great with it!

I teach 3rd Grade Math and Science. I love PC as a "side job". I do a steady amount of PC shows through the school year, but really amp it up during the summer. If anything, being a teacher has extra benefits. I find people are extremely welcoming when they find out your full-time job is teaching. It's as if they see you more as a "real person" than someone just standing there.

But, to answer your specific questions:
1. Can you balance teaching along with PC? Yes, you set your own schedule so you can work as little or as much as you want. In the summers, you have 2 months that you can overbook 'til your lil heart's content.

2. In your opinion what are the pros and cons of the profession? There are so many more rewards in teaching elementary other than monetary. You get countless hugs and can see yourself making a real difference. For example, when a child finds a love and excitement for reading after you've helped them learn how to. It's priceless. The cons are of course the income, you often take papers home to grade, and you'll get that one student who you worry constantly about.

teaching in summer school? Yes, I did both of these my first year or two. WISH I'd have found PC then. Trust me, as much as I love my job and those kiddos, I was ready for summer vacation. PC gives me the opportunity to network with people over 3 and 4 feet tall. I think that adult time makes me a better teacher.

4. Do you have any suggestions as far as student loans? (This is a big one for me since I've never had to take out a student loan and being unemployed it really scares me). Try to find a student loan that can will allow partial payment to be repaid through service. For example, since I work for a Title I funded Elementary School, I qualify for loan forgiveness up to $5,000. Also, check to see if the schools in your area allow "lateral entry". Since you already have a Bachelor's you may only need to take the Education courses. This will save you some money.

Sorry for the long post and I hope this makes sense. It's really late here and I'm wore out.

Either way, good luck.

Last edited:

1. Are there any discounts available for elementary school teachers?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers a 10% discount on all products to teachers with a valid school ID. This discount can be applied to both online and in-person purchases.

2. Do you have any products specifically designed for the classroom?

Yes, we have a variety of products that are perfect for classroom use, including our Classroom Cutlery Set, Kid's Chef Kit, and Classroom Cupcake Set. These products are designed with safety and ease of use in mind for young students.

3. Can I host a Pampered Chef party at my school for a fundraiser?

Yes, we offer a variety of fundraising options for schools and other organizations. Our Pampered Chef party consultants can work with you to customize a fundraising plan that best fits the needs of your school.

4. Are there any cooking classes or workshops specifically for teachers?

Yes, we offer a variety of cooking classes and workshops that are perfect for teachers. These classes focus on quick and easy meals that can be made in a busy teacher's schedule, as well as tips for incorporating healthy eating habits into the classroom.

5. Can I use Pampered Chef products in my lesson plans?

Absolutely! Our products are designed to make cooking and meal preparation easier and more enjoyable. You can incorporate our products into your lesson plans to teach students about proper nutrition, food preparation, and kitchen safety.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
gilliandanielle
  • cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies