• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Horrible First Fair Experience: A Story of Perseverance

In summary, the person had a horrible experience at their first fair. They were placed in an alleyway with little foot traffic and had to resort to having their children hand out flyers to promote their booth. A storm then rolled in, destroying their expensive tent and causing heavy rain. Despite their frustrations, a neighboring vendor offered some comfort and even booked a catalog show. The person only received 10 survey responses and was disappointed with the turnout. They also did not receive any promises from the organizers regarding their booth location.
marionwilliams
Silver Member
My first fair experience has been horrible. To start off, they put me in an alleyway and no one hardly came down it. So, I put my children to work and had them take flyers to the beginning of the alleyway and hand them out to people and tell them about the drawing for a free cooking show. Either no one was interested or they just didn't want to walk down the alley.

Then about noon a storm started to roll in and the wind just blew down the alley like a funnel. I bought a brand new gazbo/tent thing at a local store(not Walmart) paid quite abit for it and the wind just tore it up and twisted it all up. Called the hubby and he came over and tried to fix it enough to finish the day out and then it started to rain. I don't mean sprinkle rain, I mean heavy rain, can't see in front of you, luckly I had bought clear plastic containers with lids the day before and all my catalogs and other paper things were in the containers and didn't get wet.

I was so frustrated and upset that he packed me up and I sat in my lawn chair in the rain and cried. The lady in the tent beside me came over and gave me a candle, that was what she was selling homemade candles. She said, she felt so bad for me that she will call this week and book a catalog show.

That how my first fair booth went.

In an alley? How strange! I'm sorry your first booth experience went badly, but hang in there! Did you get anyone signed up? If so then call them all to say they won a free cooking show...see what happens.

There were 3 booths in the alley. Why, I don't know unless they had to many booths register this year and ran out of room. I only had 10 survey filled out and 8/10 mostly marked No.

Last edited:
I am soooo sorry, it's sounds like it was quite a disaster. I have always been inside when I do fairs...this way I know that people will come in because they want to get out of the heat.

Did you talk to anyone about getting part of your money back? I mean did they promise you something other than an alley?

The only way they will refund is if the problem was on their end. When I register they didn't say where my booth would be just that it would be in a 3 block radius of the courthouse. After I left the woman who gave me the candle started having problems with the wind but she learned from me how to better fortify her tent.

Related to My Horrible First Fair Experience: A Story of Perseverance

1. What inspired you to share your first fair experience?

I wanted to share my story to encourage others who may have had a similar experience and to show that perseverance is key in overcoming challenges.

2. What was the most difficult part of your first fair?

The most difficult part was dealing with the disappointment and frustration of not having many customers and not making many sales.

3. How did you stay motivated during the fair?

I reminded myself of the hard work and effort I put into preparing for the fair and the potential success it could bring in the future. I also leaned on my support system for encouragement and motivation.

4. What did you learn from your first fair experience?

I learned the importance of being prepared, having a positive attitude, and not giving up even when things don't go as planned. I also learned the value of networking and building relationships with other vendors.

5. What advice do you have for someone who had a similar first fair experience?

My advice would be to not let one bad experience discourage you. Instead, use it as a learning opportunity and keep pushing forward. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or advice from other vendors or experienced fair sellers. With perseverance and determination, you can turn a bad experience into a successful one.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mrssyvo
  • Koolotus
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • lockhartkitchen
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies