• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Monte Cristo Folds: The Perfect Replacement for Bennigan's?

Summary: Tonight's dinner plans include bangers and mashed with onion gravy and chicken stew with corn. The speaker is going out of town tonight and tomorrow is family night at their MIL's. They also discuss various recipes including a new bread recipe that can be used for pizza dough. The speaker shares the recipe and mentions trying it for pepperoni pizza. They also discuss making homemade pizza on the grill and picking up ingredients for it.
rennea
Gold Member
I think tonight we are having bangers and mashed with onion gravy. My DH favorite meal, not mine but I will survive. :)

Trying to think of something new to do on the grill....

We are going out of town tonight so dinner on the road.

Tonight is family night at MIL so she is cooking chicken stew with corn.

Hmmm.. I have no idea but I have a fridge full of leftovers so I'm sure I won't starve. ;)

well I have to work tonight so it will be a crappy icky sub. DH will have to fend with either leftover lasanga or chicken casserole.

I think I'm going to try out a bit of my new bread recipe as pizza dough. That will mean pepperoni pizza for us.

raebates said:
I think I'm going to try out a bit of my new bread recipe as pizza dough. That will mean pepperoni pizza for us.

Rae - can I get the recipe for that bread dough? Do you have to have a bread machine for it?

I'm happy to share. No bread machine needed. I got the recipe through a link from Everyday Cheapskate. It's from a book titled Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I halved the recipe since it was my first try. For the half recipe our medium SS bowl worked beautifully--plenty of room to grow but fit in the fridge well.3 c lukewarm water
1 1/2 T granulated yeast
1 1/2 T kosher or other coarse salt
6 1/2 c unbleached all-purpose flour
Cornmeal for the peelMix everything (but the cornmeal) together with a spoon. Put it in a food-safe bucket. Let it rise at room temperature for 2 to 5 hours, then put it in the fridge. It will keep for 2 weeks and make 8 1-pound loaves.When you want bread, reach in the bucket and pull off a hunk of dough. Dust it with a little flour. Shape it. Set it on a wooden peel that's been dusted with cornmeal. Lit it sit for 40 minutes to an hour. Pop it in the oven at 350F for about 30 minutes. No kneading. It's a dense, crusty bread.I love the idea of having bread pretty much ready to bake at all times. I'm putting the book on my Christmas list.

oh thinking about bread; i tried our beer bread; OMG it was SOOOO good!! My husband LOVED IT. He called one of his buddys and he loved it too. They can't wait for me to cook it again!!

Spaghetti and maybe the garlic bites.

Someone mentioned above lasagna and I haven't made that in so long, that might have to be on my menu next week, for some reason that sounds REALLY good right now.

raebates said:
I'm happy to share. No bread machine needed. I got the recipe through a link from Everyday Cheapskate. It's from a book titled Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I halved the recipe since it was my first try. For the half recipe our medium SS bowl worked beautifully--plenty of room to grow but fit in the fridge well.

3 c lukewarm water
1 1/2 T granulated yeast
Cornmeal for the peel

Mix everything (but the cornmeal) together with a spoon. Put it in a food-safe bucket. Let it rise at room temperature for 2 to 5 hours, then put it in the fridge. It will keep for 2 weeks and make 8 1-pound loaves.

When you want bread, reach in the bucket and pull off a hunk of dough. Dust it with a little flour. Shape it. Set it on a wooden peel that's been dusted with cornmeal. Lit it sit for 40 minutes to an hour. Pop it in the oven at 350F for about 30 minutes.

No kneading. It's a dense, crusty bread.

I love the idea of having bread pretty much ready to bake at all times. I'm putting the book on my Christmas list.

Wow! That sounds like so much fun to have! Let me know how it works as pizza dough!
I have to go buy more yeast, and then I'm going to try it. It's interesting that there isn't more of a starter...

Tonight, I've decided we are doing pizzas on the grill. DS and I just ran errands, and I asked him if he'd rather make our own pizza, or get a pizza from Papa John's, and he voted for homemade! So we stopped by the grocery to pick up a few more pizza ingredients.

I'm sure there are other recipes with more of a stater. This is a small, dense loaf, kind of like ciabatta. The Furry Guy and I both like those types of breads, so it works well for us.

raebates said:
I'm sure there are other recipes with more of a stater. This is a small, dense loaf, kind of like ciabatta. The Furry Guy and I both like those types of breads, so it works well for us.

We like ones like that too. I'm just thinking it would be nice to have fresh bread for when I want some with my newest obsession of the dipping oil w/ seasonings. :D:chef: How nice to pull off a hunk and bake it!

This bread would be great for that. The only problem for us was that The Furry Guy ate it before it was completely cooled. I got 2 small slices. It was a smaller version, though, since we were trying it out.

Your boys must be feeling better Becky! That's good!Last night we had tacos. Tonight Kyle has asked for French Toast for dinner...since we have to bike to piano lessons and Steve will be at Hazmat training, that might be nice and easy.I also have to make the pineapple fruit salsa for work tomorrow so less cooking for us and more time to enjoy the weather will be good. (Except for these allergies...my voice is going...)

raebates said:
I'm happy to share. No bread machine needed. I got the recipe through a link from Everyday Cheapskate. It's from a book titled Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I halved the recipe since it was my first try. For the half recipe our medium SS bowl worked beautifully--plenty of room to grow but fit in the fridge well.

3 c lukewarm water
1 1/2 T granulated yeast
Cornmeal for the peel

Mix everything (but the cornmeal) together with a spoon. Put it in a food-safe bucket. Let it rise at room temperature for 2 to 5 hours, then put it in the fridge. It will keep for 2 weeks and make 8 1-pound loaves.

When you want bread, reach in the bucket and pull off a hunk of dough. Dust it with a little flour. Shape it. Set it on a wooden peel that's been dusted with cornmeal. Lit it sit for 40 minutes to an hour. Pop it in the oven at 350F for about 30 minutes.

No kneading. It's a dense, crusty bread.

I love the idea of having bread pretty much ready to bake at all times. I'm putting the book on my Christmas list.

Okay, I'm not a bread baker, have never made homemade yeast bread ever... but this sounds doable... Is the recipe that you have here the whole recipe or the half that you used? And, I'm sorry, but what the heck is a wooden peel?

janetupnorth said:
Your boys must be feeling better Becky! That's good!

Last night we had tacos. Tonight Kyle has asked for French Toast for dinner...since we have to bike to piano lessons and Steve will be at Hazmat training, that might be nice and easy.

I also have to make the pineapple fruit salsa for work tomorrow so less cooking for us and more time to enjoy the weather will be good. (Except for these allergies...my voice is going...)

They both are doing much better today! Micah is still not quite his active self...but much better than yesterday, and keeping food down. He had a fever until about midnight, and it finally broke. He woke up around 7:30am, drank some juice, and then laid back down and slept until almost 10am! I canceled a playdate he had scheduled for this afternoon, and we've laid low most of the day, except for running a few errands this afternoon.

ChefPaulaB said:
Okay, I'm not a bread baker, have never made homemade yeast bread ever... but this sounds doable... Is the recipe that you have here the whole recipe or the half that you used? And, I'm sorry, but what the heck is a wooden peel?

That's the whole recipe.

A wooden peel is something you use to move bread to an oven. It's like a really large wooden paddle with an extra-long handle. You've probably seen them in pizza places, at the very least in TV shows and movies. I did mine right on my round stone.

raebates said:
That's the whole recipe.

A wooden peel is something you use to move bread to an oven. It's like a really large wooden paddle with an extra-long handle. You've probably seen them in pizza places, at the very least in TV shows and movies. I did mine right on my round stone.

I get requests from customers for a peel every so often. I wonder why you'd need one, when you are using a stone?

raebates said:
That's the whole recipe.

I was wondering if that could work.... Thanks!

I get requests from customers for a peel every so often. I wonder why you'd need one, when you are using a stone?
I imagine it's because they don't have a PC stone and it isn't awesome.

The bread worked great as pizza dough. It's similar to a hand-tossed crust--crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Delicious. I'll probably have this dough in my fridge most of the time.

Easy dinner for us tonight - hotdogs, beans, and noodles.

We are having Monte Cristo Folds (from the Pillsbury web site). Fell in love with the recipe a while back because the local Bennigan's restaurants closed down, so I had to find a way to fill in my Monte Cristo addiction. I do use more meat and cheese than the recipe calls for, but everyone in the household seems to like it that way. :)

1. What is the "What's for Dinner?" menu for May 20?

The "What's for Dinner?" menu for May 20 includes a delicious mix of dishes such as chicken parmesan, roasted vegetables, and garlic bread.

2. Are there any vegetarian options on the May 20 menu?

Yes, the roasted vegetables and garlic bread can be made without meat to accommodate vegetarians.

3. Can I purchase the ingredients for the May 20 menu as a bundle?

Yes, we offer a "What's for Dinner?" bundle for May 20 that includes all the necessary ingredients to make the menu items.

4. Are there any dietary restrictions to consider for the May 20 menu?

The May 20 menu does not contain any nuts or gluten, but please check the individual recipes for potential allergens and adjust accordingly.

5. How long will it take to prepare the May 20 menu?

The estimated preparation time for the May 20 menu is about 45 minutes. However, this may vary based on individual cooking skills and kitchen equipment.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• rennea
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
vwpamperedchef
  • kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis
  • pamperedbybarbara