• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Offering Incentives the Key to Successful Daycare Fundraisers?

In summary, the Day Care owner was not happy with the commission rate and decided not to do this fundraiser again.
hoosierchef
my decision to rejoin PC. In light of all the changes that have been made lately and then to top it all off.....

I stop to pick up my son today at daycare. The daycare owner said she got all the fundraiser stuff and the check today. She proceeded to tell me how much her check was, only $158! Then, she asked what the commission rate was. (Mind you, I told her everything up front.) When I told her 15%, she said, "Oh, I'm used to getting 40%, so I probably won't do this again." :(

So I feel guilty now. I was going to write her a person check as a contribution, heck now I feel like I should just give her my whole stickin' commission check. :(

Up to this point, I was pretty excited about being in PC again and about my sales for the month (Around $2800). Now I just don't know...........:( :( :(

hoosierchef said:
my decision to rejoin PC. In light of all the changes that have been made lately and then to top it all off.....

I stop to pick up my son today at daycare. The daycare owner said she got all the fundraiser stuff and the check today. She proceeded to tell me how much her check was, only $158! Then, she asked what the commission rate was. (Mind you, I told her everything up front.) When I told her 15%, she said, "Oh, I'm used to getting 40%, so I probably won't do this again." :(

So I feel guilty now. I was going to write her a person check as a contribution, heck now I feel like I should just give her my whole stickin' commission check. :(

Up to this point, I was pretty excited about being in PC again and about my sales for the month (Around $2800). Now I just don't know...........:( :( :(

It's hard with fundraisers but we have to remember that companies with 40% commission also have a MUCH harder time at sales because their products are jacked up higher... Remind her that people are really getting more for their money and more likely to still purchase next time...

Not worth worrying about!!Her fundraiser totaled $158! She didn't sell much so what can she expect! I wouldn't waste my time worrying about what she thinks. Too bad! They could have made a lot for the group had they just tried.

Beth, I think what she meant was that the % that she got back from all the sales the Day Care made was only $158 .. thats all she made off of the Fundraiser. Not that they sold $158.

That's correct Laurie. The fundraiser was my high show so far, $1022. All she got was $158.

It's amazing how people forget everything we tell them. People are getting good quality products. I even kick in part of my commision but frequently still lose the show to ANOTHER cookie dough, candle, candy bar or wrapping paper fundraiser. How many parents are sick these
Tupperware has a special fundraiser brochure the jacks up their already high prices 40% so the group gets a '40%' return

There is lots more business out there than fundraiser - DOn't let it get you down.

She is $158closer to her goal than she was before and obviously she wasn't listening to you when you were informing her of the fundraiser program. We give them a high quality product that people will be proud to have in their kitchen

abrahamlaur said:
Beth, I think what she meant was that the % that she got back from all the sales the Day Care made was only $158 .. thats all she made off of the Fundraiser. Not that they sold $158.
Oh, sorry. I misunderstood.

Not that it matters now,but our people were discussing fundraisers at a recent cluster meeting. (I have yet to get one!) One of the other consultants entered it as a regular show, gave her commission to the group that had the fundraiser, then took all the FPV for herself. Loaded up on a ton of stuff! Just maybe an option for next time, Tammi. Don't know if you need more free product (who doesn't?!?!) but it's an option. Obviously, if we need the $, this would suck, but there are other ways to do it so the organization gets more............you dig?!?!? Just thought I'd put it out there.

pcchris said:
Not that it matters now,but our people were discussing fundraisers at a recent cluster meeting. (I have yet to get one!) One of the other consultants entered it as a regular show, gave her commission to the group that had the fundraiser, then took all the FPV for herself. Loaded up on a ton of stuff! Just maybe an option for next time, Tammi. Don't know if you need more free product (who doesn't?!?!) but it's an option. Obviously, if we need the $, this would suck, but there are other ways to do it so the organization gets more............you dig?!?!? Just thought I'd put it out there.

I wish I would have thought of this... :p I sure would like to have the cookware. LOL

I busted my butt to try and make this successful for her. I donated prizes OUT OF MY POCKET, made up 30+ fundraiser packets, so if I do donate part of my commission, I will be LOSING money. :( Only about 20% of the people participated, many of the parents just placed an order and that was it. None of them solicited for more orders. I really had high hopes for her too and thought that with PC there was a greater chance of more participation.

Oh well, ce la vie. This just doesn't help my spirits though. I have been having mega probs with my car too....so that's got me down. I can't afford to get it fixed and can't afford to get another one.

What's a poor girl to do. :( Sorry.......Didn't mean to carry on. I guess this goes against my whole, "I'm just gonna be happy" post, huh?

Everyone has a bad day (or week, or month, or . . .) once in a while.I understand your frustration, but I also know that you love PC products. You enjoy doing what we do. There's nothing wrong with evaluating where you are and comparing that to where you want to be. That's how people grow. However, I would hate to lose you as a fellow consultant because of a period of struggle. I guess what I mean is please don't do anything hasty.

Great job
hoosierchef said:
I wish I would have thought of this... :p I sure would like to have the cookware. LOL

I busted my butt to try and make this successful for her. I donated prizes OUT OF MY POCKET, made up 30+ fundraiser packets, so if I do donate part of my commission, I will be LOSING money. :( Only about 20% of the people participated, many of the parents just placed an order and that was it. None of them solicited for more orders. I really had high hopes for her too and thought that with PC there was a greater chance of more participation.

Oh well, ce la vie. This just doesn't help my spirits though. I have been having mega probs with my car too....so that's got me down. I can't afford to get it fixed and can't afford to get another one.

What's a poor girl to do. :( Sorry.......Didn't mean to carry on. I guess this goes against my whole, "I'm just gonna be happy" post, huh?

Obviously you did a great job! From what you mentioned above this person dropped the ball, not you.
There was nothing more you could do. As consultants we can all have very successful fundraisers if those who are having the fundraiser cooperate and motivate their people to work hard.
I personally think that anything over $1,000 is very successful. There are people who want 50% of profits, but they usually sell things like candy and pizza or donuts to get those kind of profits. Those are things that people won't usually invest such a large amount of money on. But it is something that sells fast. I try to stress that we are selling items that are not priced high so people can get their high donation percentage and these items will last day after day for years. Having more than one fundraiser with Pc is always an option. Not everyone can purchase everything they need all at once.

Debbie :D

pcchris said:

Don't do this. HO says this is stealing from the company and will terminate jobs for this.

Paige Dixon said:
Don't do this. HO says this is stealing from the company and will terminate jobs for this.

I'm not planning on doing that, since if I had a fundraiser I'll tell the chairman what to expect and setting goals (i.e., if your sales are $1000, you can expect a $150 check, but if each of your 10 kids collects $500 in orders your fundraiser will be $5000 and you will get a check for $750). I currently only have a HWC fundraiser scheduled,

BUT trying to see why HO would consider this stealing. Where is the stealing coming into play -- the consultant is donating her entire commission to the organization, so the organization is winning. Why would it matter who got the Free Product? I can understand it would be stealing from the HOST if you kept some/all of their Free Product (didn't tell them that they earned it), but since a fundraiser chair doesn't normally get free product, where is the theft. The organization comes out ahead (instead of a 10-15% donation they get a higher percentage since it's a regular show).

Just not sure I see where the problem is (even though I have no intention of using this technique). Can you tell me where they have said you can't do this? Is it in the policies? Where? :confused:

pcchris said:

I know that alot of consultants do this. And exactly how is it steeling from PC when if it were a cooking show that is what is given to the host. If the "host" of the fundraiser is fine with you getting the free products and they get your commission, what's the difference?

I can't see how PC can "terminate" someone for getting someone to host a show and the consultant donating her own earned money to a cause. Is it just the wording. I mean you could say....host a show and instead of earning Free products, I will give you my commissions as a donation to your cause.
Maybe I am missing something though.

Paige Dixon said:

Who at HO told you this? My SD told a couple of consultants in our cluster that you could do this. I don't understand how this would be considered stealing. Paige, who did you talk to about this? Not that I'm don't believe you, I would like my own clarification on this. If this isn't "legal" to do, I'll make sure that I never do it...and I'll tell my SD that she's giving bogus information.

my SD told me the same thing about fundraisers. Give them your commission and keep the product for yourself to use for incentives. How would this be considered stealing? For a regular party we get the commission and the host gets the free product. Its not as if its company policy to give the fpv to the host of a fundraiser.

hoosierchef said:

Up to this point, I was pretty excited about being in PC again and about my sales for the month (Around $2800). Now I just don't know...........:( :( :
(

Your paying for your childcare so don't feel guilty. PC can help you pay that and more. Just make a donation of items the school might need, tissues, diapers or snacks. This way you really know what the money is going towards.;)

Tammi - The fact that you wanted to do a fundraiser and the fact that PC is an amazing company that offers fundraisers is enough to make anyone feel great. Please try not to feel guilty. You explained everything upfront; you cannot be accountable for other's expectations. Doesn't that woman have $158 more than she had before the fundraiser? She sounds greedy (sorry, I tend to be blunt). Don't get too down over this. Keep your chin up!

Partylite does its fundraisers this way, and, like you, I thought it was a win-win scenerio. I turned a small one in this way about 3 years ago. My Executive Director (Julie Gizzi) liked the idea when I spoke with her about it. She had even started emailing the downline about the "new" method we had come up with, but when she discussed it with HO, she was flat out told that it was considered stealing from the company and that jobs would be terminated for turning it in that way.

I'm hoping that the ACS 25% in May is a preview of what's to come. Obviously, they need to seriously re-vamp the whole fundraiser situation. We would like a higher organization percentage all around, but if they can't do that, how about one or two months a year when fundraiser percentages can be raised?

Paige Dixon said:
Partylite does its fundraisers this way, and, like you, I thought it was a win-win scenerio. I turned a small one in this way about 3 years ago. My Executive Director (Julie Gizzi) liked the idea when I spoke with her about it. She had even started emailing the downline about the "new" method we had come up with, but when she discussed it with HO, she was flat out told that it was considered stealing from the company and that jobs would be terminated for turning it in that way.

I'm hoping that the ACS 25% in May is a preview of what's to come. Obviously, they need to seriously re-vamp the whole fundraiser situation. We would like a higher organization percentage all around, but if they can't do that, how about one or two months a year when fundraiser percentages can be raised?

Well, unless they have put something in writing to the consultants, they can't terminate anyone for doing it that way. It is NOT listed in the Policies as something we can't do, so if it is something that people are doing and it's working for them, it seems to me that HO needs to address the issue.

I can't see how on earth they would consider it stealing. I must be missing something in the equation.

Tammy, don't let this fundraiser get you down. And the other changes that PC is making...will pass. Focus on what you want your business to become because there will always be something out there to bring us down.

For fundraisers, I usually put it all in writing. I do donate some of my commission back (and write it off) but I have a letter. The higher the show, the higher percentage I give to them...but set a limit. Cover your costs first and for most.

When someone complains about our low percentage I do ask them if they have ever purchased a 3 foot roll of wrapping paper that they paid $10 for with a fundraiser? I admit that I have and that PC doesn't inflate their prices for fundraisers. It still falls on deaf ears.

Paige Dixon said:

Paige, thanks for clarifying!! I really hope you didn't think I was mad at you...because I wasn't...just needed clarification! Now, I wonder...does HO ever call a host to make sure a show is legit? Just wondering. Anyone know?

They'll be calling you in a few minutes regarding the last show you submitted :) sorry, couldn't resist!!

Paige Dixon said:

Ok that is how Partylite did it. Have you checked with PC to see if they viewed it as "stealing"?

If anything you can explain how PC fundraisers work, then tell the person head of the fundraiser that we can do it as a show and instead of the host (the person in charge of fundraiser) receiving the products I will give them my commission and I will take the products. So we are swapping them. If they understand how it works and agrees to it, I would think that it would be ok.

Teresa Lynn said:
They'll be calling you in a few minutes regarding the last show you submitted :) sorry, couldn't resist!!

Only if the "mole" is on here I reckone!! HAHA!:D

I have seen on here and think it is a good idea to do one like "Split the Pot." Sale chances for a pre-set amount. The organizations splits it with the winner and themselves. The winner takes their half in PC products which gets entered as a Fundraiser and then the organizations makes 15% on top of the half they have already got and the PC consultant makes their commission on the Fundraiser that is turned in. When I have told people of this way, they have been very interested.

Stealing from P/CLadies -

I'm with you on the fundraiser/commission/free gifts. I would give them my full commission to add to my kit.

Does H/O care that I missed kit enhancement month because my debit/visa card didn't arrive in time. :mad:

So in order to "add" to my kit, I would definately do it!

Happy Fundraising:)

What if you entered it as a catalog order and gave them your entire commission? And, with the free products and half-off items you earn... donate (deduct the half off item cost from the commission) those to the organization to use in a raffle of some sort? This is what I had thought about doing. Would this be stealing from the company??

This is a little late for your daycare fundraiser, but we had one a pretty successful fundraiser at my daycare (we sold frozen cookie dough). My boss offered a 'prize'.

The one who sold the most got free daycare for a week for one child (about $95-130). That got a few people really selling. We had a few parents, especially the ones with multiple children, to offer it to their friends and family.

In Daycare, it wouldn't be too much to offer this because she has to pay me the same whether there is one child or 6 in my class (1-2 year olds). So her payroll would pretty much stay the same for the week, because it is for the same kids that are already enrolled. The only thing she would really lose would be snack money, and what does a child eat in a week that would be more than you make off of a fundraiser?

Just a thought for fundraisers, maybe offer the parents or potential sellers a prize that is great for them, but not too much for the person / organization doing the fundraiser. That would help with having higher sales, and in return higher $$$.

1. What are the benefits of offering incentives for daycare fundraisers?

Offering incentives can motivate participants to sell more, leading to higher fundraising profits. It can also create a sense of competition and excitement, making the fundraiser more engaging for everyone involved.

2. Are there any downsides to offering incentives for daycare fundraisers?

Some people may feel pressured or obligated to participate in the fundraiser, even if they do not want to. Additionally, if the incentives are not properly planned and executed, it can lead to higher costs for the fundraiser and potentially lower profits.

3. How can offering incentives affect the success of a daycare fundraiser?

Offering incentives can increase participation and sales, resulting in a more successful fundraiser. It can also create a positive association with the fundraiser and the daycare, encouraging participants to continue supporting future fundraisers.

4. What factors should be considered when deciding whether to offer incentives for daycare fundraisers?

The cost of the incentives, the potential impact on profits, and the preferences of the participants should all be taken into account. It may also be helpful to research successful fundraising strategies and consult with others who have experience with daycare fundraisers.

5. How can I handle a situation where a daycare owner is not satisfied with the commission rate for a fundraiser?

It is important to be transparent and upfront about the commission rate from the beginning. If the daycare owner is not satisfied, you can try to negotiate or offer alternative incentives. Ultimately, it is up to the daycare owner to decide whether they want to participate in the fundraiser.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
KRISTI'SCOOKING
  • kwilson
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
cat
  • beckysuem
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies