• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hp & the Deathly Hallows Discussion - May Contain Spoilers!

In summary, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a great book that ends the series. Neville ends up with the sword of Gryffindor and the sorting hat pulls it out of the ether. The Ministry is recovered and the dementors are brought under control. Luna is found and Harry writes the real story of Albus Dumbledore. Quibbling minds want to know.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Skip this thread if you have not yet read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows but intend to.

You've been warned.

Did I miss something?How did Neville end up with the sword of Gryffindor after Griphook took possesion of it at Gringott's?

I think the sorting hat pulled it out of the ether, like when Harry pulled it out a couple books ago (when it should have been safely inside Dumbledore's office).I wish there had been more about the immediate aftermath - like the last third of Return of the King. I understand that it would have made the book really long, but still. I want details! How long did it take to rebuild Hogwarts? What does Harry do now? Did he, Ron and Hermione get their diplomas? etc etc etc

That was the only serious factual flaw that I noticed, but then, I didn't really read for detail this time. There are a couple of other things, like the piece of broken mirror on the cellar floor at Malfoy's, or how Hermione was able to maintain her bag while tied up by Greyback. The "dream" at Kings Cross was just a little too Hollywood for my taste and I didn't like that we never really did learn who the baby represented. We think we know...but do we?I think we also always knew there was more to the Snape story than we were getting.And along with your questions...how was the Ministry recovered? How were the dementors brought under control? Was the Quibbler ever brought back? Where did Luna end up? Did Harry ever write the real story of Albus Dumbledore? And what was finally done with Rita Skeeter?Quibbling minds want to know. ;)

And why didn't they just use the time-turner to go back and save lives?

Hermione didn't have it. She returned it to Dumbledore after completing her overloaded semester.

I know. It just seems like they could've pulled THAT out of the hat, too. :\I think it was Dobby dying that bugged me the most.

I was pleased that Percy finally returned to the family fold, but that was bittersweet when considered with the other Weasley losses.

The baby bugged me, too, KG. Why make such a big deal about it if you aren't going to resolve it? Yes, we can probably theorize and deduce who it was to represent, but Rowling needs to remember that it's still primarily a young-adult series, and a little more info would be appreciated.

I think she assumed we would figure out who the baby figure at King's Cross was because if I remember right, she described Voldemort as looking baby-like in Book 4.

Fred dying bugged me. It should have been Percy! :D And Dobby dying bugged me too. Wonder how they're going to make him pop up in the last movie when the houseelves have all but been removed from every movie since CoS. And I was sad about Hedwig too. :(

I enjoyed it, and will read it again as soon as I finish books 1-6 (I have a thing about reading them in order). All in all, I'm content with it, but sad too. It's the end. :(

I have been on several forums, looking at what people have to say about
HP7. I loved the book. Thought it was among the best in the series. Some are complaining that all the stuff with them in the tent was boring -- I thought that was the point. To have the reader feel as detached from what was happening in the battle. I feel that Rowling really captured the isolation, depression and loneliness that the 3 main characters would have been experiencing.
I do have a few issues though...

Am I the only reader who didn't enjoy the portrayal of Dumbledore. I liked him as nearly perfect. Now he is a flawed character. Greedy, ambitious, etc. I liked the selfless, generous, muggle-loving Dumbledore.

Dobby's death had me openly weeping. Meanwhile, the deaths of Lupin and Tonks seemed barely worth a mention, same with Fred. I loved those characters and didn't feel that I was given a chance to mourn them as I read -- a good cry would have been therapeutic -- especially given how tense the battle for Hogwarts was!

All in all, the book was great. I want to re-read the series again (I think this will be about the 15th time, at least, to re-read the series), except we're in the middle of packing for a move and my husband packed ALL my books (including HP) yesterday afternoon. Now I have to wait until the middle of August to start re-reading the series. Lucky for him, he's out of the province -- otherwise he'd be doing some unpacking, I think!

I am probably one of the few who like the twist with Dumbledore. To me it shows that everyone has a twing of a dark side, especially in their youth. Making certain decisions at that age can really mark the path as to who you are going to become. It took the death of his sister to make him turn his corner and make him what he had become.

I agree. I thought it made Dumbledore more human and less of a perfect being.

I was more shook up by Dobby's death than I thought I would be. And with all the talk about house elves, I expected them to play a larger role in the final battle. Or for us to hear more about them being treated better as life returned to normal.

The whole thing with the baby at Kings Cross was that it was all taking place in Harry's mind. The baby represented the part of Voldemort that was inside of Harry. Or at least that is how I took it.

I liked that Dumbledore seemed more "real" by the end of it. And I love how it was a gradual realization over the whole series (from being near perfect in book 1 to being and extraordinary, but flawed human being in Book 7 and it was so gradual as little things cropped up through the series showing his weakness).

Am I the only one who really thought Hagrid had been killed when he was overtaken by the spiders? That made me really sad. Also, was I the only one who thought that Neville would be killed? Not that I wanted him to, but I thought it was inevitable.

I think the reason Lupin, Tonks and Fred's deaths were kind of glazed over was because in the heat of battle, there was little time to mourn. Though it made me the saddest that Teddy was orphaned. :(

northern_sunshine said:
I think the reason Lupin, Tonks and Fred's deaths were kind of glazed over was because in the heat of battle, there was little time to mourn. Though it made me the saddest that Teddy was orphaned. :(
That did seem to make the whole pregnancy plot line completely gratuituous, except for Harry maturing enough to shame Lupin about leaving his family behind.

In the epiloge I expected Teddy to be either getting on the train to Hogwarts or being there to see off the rest of the little Potters. Harry was Teddy's godfather, after all.I also thought Hagrid was a goner because it never seemed like Aragog's progeny held the same respect for Hagrid that Aragog did.Dumbledore had the aire of authority the entire time he was alive with Harry - the only really annoying thing to me about Dumbledore is how the newer directors of the films portray him as a sniveling, scared old man. He was none of those things, except for an old man.

Teddy was on the train, James saw him "snogging" Victoire (Bill and Fleur's daughter).

Yeah, I liked the whole Lupin/Tonks pregnancy thing, but it was underdeveloped. Kind of just a side trip. The only thing I can figure is that maybe she put it in there as a little light of hope amid crisis? I dunno

The movies are not my favorites. I think it's because I know the books too well and have my own ideas about the characters based on what I read, and though the main 3 do a tremendous job of portraying Harry, Hermione and Ron, the movies still bug me.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Hermione didn't have it. She returned it to Dumbledore after completing her overloaded semester.

They were all broken in book 6 at the department of ministries

Jennie4PC said:
They were all broken in book 6 at the department of ministries

That's right! The room turned all freaky with the large hourglass shattering and repairing itself over and over again, right?

Besides, going back with a time-turner to prevent the deaths is VERY Hollywood. Not every book can have a "they all lived happily" ending.

the piece of broken mirror on the cellar floor at Malfoy's, or how Hermione was able to maintain her bag while tied up by Greyback.

The broken mirror on the cellar floor was the piece that Harry had in his bag. However, she never actually said he picked it up after he dropped it.

Hermione stuffed the bag in her sock right before they invaded the tent.

we never really did learn who the baby represented.
In Harry's mind it might have represented the piece of Voldemort that was in Harry. But yes, we may never know because it may be for us to find out.

I loved this book. I was a "Snape is evil" person but liked the way she vindicated him in the end. However I had to re-read the part about the memory goo to understand what it was.

I liked the way she made Neville a professor. He became the true Griffindor in this last book and the new person in charge when Harry left. It seems as though he needed to be without the leaders to realize he was a leader himself.

I didn't like Lupin and Tonks dying. I was sad about that.

FRED! Oh! I cried!!!! The twins are my favorite characters!

Mrs. Weasley and "Not my daughter BI***!" Oh I was LMAO! You go Mrs. Weasley!

I liked how she portrayed the Malfoy's. All talk and no action. Priceless! I do have to give kudos to Narcissa. Talk about powerful to not show herself to the DL.

The ending of Voldy was the best! I love it when Harry's wheels start turning. I did have to re-read about the wands though. It got a little hazy and I was lost. Great way to end it though.

I did think the epilog left out too much. What were they all doing? Was Harry a Auror? What did Ginny do? Hermione? Ron? How was everyone else? Too many new questions left unanswered. Love the kids!

It was a GREAT BOOK!

Hey, Rebecca - you can change your siggy now. :)

Okay. I get it. I'm the only reader who is upset about the revelations concerning Dumbledore! That's okay --I'm not scared to be the only one who holds an unpopular opinion!
I still liked Dumbledore better in book 6 -- flawed, yes, but still just a little better than the rest of us (yes I know, he's fictional).
I realize that Fred, Tonks and Lupin died in the middle of the battle, and that Rowling could not disrupt the pace of the narrative to have all the characters stop and mourn -- but as a reader, it would have been nice to give those characters their due once the battle was over. 600-ish pages wasn't enough. I would have read another 600 had she given them to us.
And why is the US version 725-ish pages long? Do you guys get illustrations or something!?! On the UK blogs, everyone is griping about typos, etc. I typically notice grammatical errors and typos when I'm reading (reading, not typing) -- maybe I was too absorbed in the text, but I didn't notice any glaring errors.

Is the non-US version on different size pages? As in, larger, so they hold more text. That's the only thing I can think of as a difference for the length. Well, that and font size. 'Cuz the US version didn't have any illustrations, other than the chapter headers and a couple of little things that were pertinent to the plot.

I forgot about the time turners being destroyed. And it would be too "hollywood," I agree - it was just one of those "well they've got 'em, why don't they use 'em?" thoughts!

chefann said:
Hey, Rebecca - you can change your siggy now. :)

Thanks Ann :)

The non-US versions are just over 600 pages I believe. I think the page count mostly has to do with typeface and we have no illustrations (Chapter headers or otherwise) in our version (or at least the Raincoast Publishing/Canadian edition I have doesn't).

I'm not sure if the book could ever be completely satisfying. Only because us HP fans are greedy and always wanting more! :) I was so looking forward to this book, but dreading it as well because it is the end.

I do have to say that this series finale was mostly satisfying. Yes, we want more details about the "after", but that's really better served by having another book (yeah - like that'll happen). I purchased my niece the Series of Unfortunate Events books and read them as they came out. The series end on that one just blew chunks. Totally disappointing!

I just finished it...and bawled like a big fat baby!! Poooooooor Dobby!! Why could it not have been the other house elf that Harry inherited!! I know that is mean and in the end he turned good but come on!! Dobby!! Wahhhh. I am upset about all the other characters as well but am thankful it wasn't really any of the main characters, ie. Ron Harry Hermoine. Someone had to dye and I think she played the cards right on those who did. This is definately a sad day especially knowing no more books are due to come out. However there is always the Eragon series...still waiting on the 3rd book of that one!!

KG wrote: "or how Hermione was able to maintain her bag while tied up by Greyback."

This was answered in the book. It was mentioned that she stuffed it in her sock.

It is rumored that she is going to make a new series with a "new character". I wonder if since she introduced us to the children if there will be a series with them in mind? HMMMM

chefpenny99 said:
KG wrote: "or how Hermione was able to maintain her bag while tied up by Greyback."

This was answered in the book. It was mentioned that she stuffed it in her sock.
It's been pointed out about three times that I missed that. I should just delete that post.

It is okay KG:D We know at your age the mind is the first thing to go.:D :D :D

krzymomof4 said:
It is okay KG:D We know at your age the mind is the first thing to go.:D :D :D

No, the mind is the second thing to go...

Robin

On www.theleakycauldron.org there is lots of talk that Rowling (or Jo as those on that site call her -- as though we know her) has mentioned the possibilty of writing another book to accompany the series. "Hogarts: A History" seems to be the possibility mentioned most often. Then we'd getmore details about the four founders, the ghosts, etc. That would be so great -- a whole Hogwarts encyclopaedia. I think we should just keep hounding Rowling til she gives in and writes another Harry book. Perhaps she could fill in the 19 yrs between the final chpater and the epilogue. Other blogs have so many people complaining about the "cheesiness" of the epilogue. Personally, I thought it was nice to end the series on a happy and peaceful note. "All was well." I think that is the least of what Harry and the others deserved. And how great that Neville gets to teach at Hogwarts. I was convinced before I even opened the the book that he was a goner.

One question though: Who rasied baby Teddy? I assumed Harry might, but I guess Tonks' mom probably did. I know Harry was just 17 but I kind of figured that as Tonks' mom aged, maybe the baby would live with Harry.

What do you think happened to the Dursleys?

priscilla said:
No, the mind is the second thing to go...

Robin
Nope.

It's the first thing.

;)

Tonk's mom raised Teddy, but he spent most of his time at Harry's.

I liked the book. There are still a few unanswered questions though. 1. What is Harry's job, auror? 2. Whos the Hogwarts headmaster? 3. Who is the DADA teacher, now that the curse is broken. I cried about Hedwig that one got me, first of many. By the battle between Harry and Voldermort I was blubbering all over. But I counted 14 deaths in all...I want to know because JK Rowling said she gave a reprieve to a character...which one? I did like the Dumbledore twist because we know he wasnt perfect but its part of growing up to find out your hero has a past ans dumb decisions. The baby was annoying..I felt it was the horcruxe and it finally detached itself and was fully Voldermort at the point. I will reread the series but I want to wait. This book was great but a little intense w/ all the death.

For anyone who is interested, I have heard that JK Rowling is going to be on the Today show on the 26th and 27th and that she's going to be talking about some of the choices that she made in the book.

I'd like to hear some of her reasons - it seems like there are a lot of unresolved issues but had she addressed all of those issues, the book might have been more like War and Peace. I doubt if anyone would be excited about a 1400 page doorstop.I fear that the Today show, depending who does the interview, will be incomplete due to their usual time constraints. Interviews seem to get cut short so they have more time to flirt with the people outside. And if the interview is by Matt Lauer, the interview will be filled with a lot of unimportant drivel.

I agree about Matt Lauer his interviews are never about what I want to hear.
Now what does anyone think about Mrs Weasley!!?? I was shocked her sentenced she screamed was all capital letters. But I guess as a mom wouldnt scream that also? I am glad Hagrid didnt die. I thought he was a goner when the spiders got him, and I am glad Ron and Hermoine made it through I was thinking one of them wasnt.

I have to say, I wasn't surprised by the book at all. It went as exactly I had figured...

I was most surprised by Hedwig dying. I do agree that many of the deaths happened so quickly that there was no time to mourn, but I suppose that in the situation there actually wasn't any time to mourn.

I was seriously hoping that Snape was good. The whole book until the end, I was thinking, "I am going to be so disappointed if Dumbledore had trusted Snape wrongly." I loved Harry's adventure into Snape' Penseive.

I liked Dumbledore's backstory too. I like him as a flawed character better. He only seemed so perfect earlier because that's how Harry saw him, just as young children think their parents have all the answers.

I do wish that there was a little more information in the epilogue. All it really showed was who married whom and how many kids they had. And Neville as a professor.

I was hoping that Harry would have died. As in died died, not the weird Deathly Hallows thing... I feel it was a little cheap to have it come back and "all was well".

There was something about the entire set-up of Snape in Half Blood Prince that just didn't settle well with me. I was sure there had to be more to the story, because even with all his flaws, Dumbledore was an excellent judge of character. While Snape was not a tragic character with a lovable streak, like the Phantom of the Opera, there was an underlying reason, through the entire series, for his unjustified (and almost gleeful) dislike of Harry. ("You see in Harry what you want to see in him," Dumbledore told him.) The pensieve memories that Harry saw brought all of that into focus. His rather rapid disappearance from Hogwarts seemed out of character for him, though, IMHO. Did I miss something in his escape? Does it turn out that Snape was an animagus?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
His rather rapid disappearance from Hogwarts seemed out of character for him, though, IMHO.

Did I miss something in his escape? Does it turn out that Snape was an animagus?
What disappearance? Are you referring to his death? I don't remember a page or chapter, but I specifically remember gasping and telling Dan, "OMG! Voldemort just killed Snape!" It was probably about 2/3 through the book.

No, before the Battle of Hogwarts, Snape jumped through a window and disappeared.

There was mention that he flew, like Voldemort. I assumed he flew like either a superhero or a bat, since Rowling always referenced his cloaks, and cloaks make great capes/wings.

Was I also the only one to find Snape's partronis to be...um...interesting? part of his personality that we never saw, I take it.

shano said:
I agree about Matt Lauer his interviews are never about what I want to hear.
Now what does anyone think about Mrs Weasley!!?? I was shocked her sentenced she screamed was all capital letters. But I guess as a mom wouldnt scream that also? I am glad Hagrid didnt die. I thought he was a goner when the spiders got him, and I am glad Ron and Hermoine made it through I was thinking one of them wasnt.
The real Mrs. Weasley coming out was a wonderful surprise - I like that!

As for Hagrid, that's not the first time ("Hem, hem!") Rowlins did that to us. You may recall that the last we saw of Delores Umbridge, the Centaurs were none to pleased with her. I was kind of surprised to find her back.

Less of a surprise about Umbridge - I used to work for her. In a previous life, I worked for a pompous ass who had an assistant that was just like Umbridge - attached to the boss by the nose. You didn't dare say anything to her at all because it was a direct pipeline to the Dark Lor...er...the owner of the company.

Yeah- I did think it was an exceedingly gentle creature for him. But the penseive revelations told us that he wasn't the monster we've assumed since Book 1, and maybe the doe was appropriate.

I thought Mr. Weasley's weasel patronus was a little obvious and expected. :rolleyes:

<h2>1. What is the Deathly Hallows in the Harry Potter series?</h2><p>The Deathly Hallows is a powerful magical object in the Harry Potter series that consists of three objects: the Elder Wand, the Resurrection Stone, and the Cloak of Invisibility. Together, these objects are said to make the possessor the Master of Death.</p><h2>2. Should I skip this thread if I haven't read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yet?</h2><p>Yes, it is highly recommended that you avoid reading this thread if you have not yet read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. This thread may contain spoilers that could ruin your reading experience.</p><h2>3. Is it okay to read this thread if I have only seen the movie version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?</h2><p>No, it is still recommended that you avoid reading this thread if you have only seen the movie version. The books often contain more details and plot points that may not have been included in the movies.</p><h2>4. Can I still participate in the discussion even if I haven't finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?</h2><p>Yes, you are still welcome to participate in the discussion. However, please be aware that there may be spoilers discussed that could ruin your reading experience if you have not finished the book.</p><h2>5. Are there any rules or guidelines for discussing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in this thread?</h2><p>Yes, please be respectful of others and avoid posting any major spoilers in the thread title or description. If discussing spoilers, please use spoiler tags to hide the information from those who have not yet read the book. Additionally, please refrain from posting any inappropriate or offensive content.</p>

1. What is the Deathly Hallows in the Harry Potter series?

The Deathly Hallows is a powerful magical object in the Harry Potter series that consists of three objects: the Elder Wand, the Resurrection Stone, and the Cloak of Invisibility. Together, these objects are said to make the possessor the Master of Death.

2. Should I skip this thread if I haven't read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yet?

Yes, it is highly recommended that you avoid reading this thread if you have not yet read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. This thread may contain spoilers that could ruin your reading experience.

3. Is it okay to read this thread if I have only seen the movie version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?

No, it is still recommended that you avoid reading this thread if you have only seen the movie version. The books often contain more details and plot points that may not have been included in the movies.

4. Can I still participate in the discussion even if I haven't finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?

Yes, you are still welcome to participate in the discussion. However, please be aware that there may be spoilers discussed that could ruin your reading experience if you have not finished the book.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for discussing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in this thread?

Yes, please be respectful of others and avoid posting any major spoilers in the thread title or description. If discussing spoilers, please use spoiler tags to hide the information from those who have not yet read the book. Additionally, please refrain from posting any inappropriate or offensive content.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • National Conferences and Meetings
2 3
Replies
Views
Tenille V.
  • Admin Greg
  • Products and Tips
2 3 4
Replies
Views