• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

The Dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide: A Call to Action!

In summary, the dihydrogen monoxide in our environment is becoming a serious pollutant and companies are not being forced to stop dumping it into our rivers and oceans. There is no easy solution, but we need to start somewhere.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
EDITED TO ADD: Before you go off all crazy, go read post #63 on page 4 of this thread, because it has NEW information!BAN DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE!Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.Dihydrogen monoxide:
  • is also known as hydroxl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
  • contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
  • may cause severe burns.
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Contamination is reaching epidemic proportions!Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the midwest, and recently California.Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
  • as an industrial solvent and coolant.
  • in nuclear power plants.
  • in the production of styrofoam.
  • as a fire retardant.
  • in many forms of cruel animal research.
  • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
  • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.
* * *Edited to add: If you just opened this thread and read this dire warning, you might want to read the rest of the thread before you reply, at least, read the first page.

Last edited:
How do we go about banning it? Writing our congressmen and women would be one suggestion I can think of but is there more? Any specific on companies that specifically use this?

Sorry, I love water too much!

Now I feel like a dumb s**t. :mad: Usually I am the first to check these things out and I didn't!!! I just had a drink of dihydrogen monoxide and it was quite refreshing, I might add. Thank you Becky!

Now, see Ann, I was just thinking you were helping out KG by stringing it along.......;)

no can do KG-gotta have my raspberry flavored dihydrogen monoxide! Guess that chemistry degree my parents paid for didn't go to waste afterall!:)

Oh - and another post immediately following my last post.............

.........Ann, did you really think it could be a serious thread when started by the King of Parody & Humor?

As long as he doesn't get a costume like the Burger King guy - he freaks me out! But that is a whole different thread that we've had before...

No, I admit when I am just plain stupid!!! I hate getting these type of "chicken little" e-mails and pride myself in squishing them. I received one at work the other day. Keep in mind that we work in a school, but someone passed on the Amber Alert for the Flores girl to all 600 employees. I immediately sent one to everyone right back noting that it was a hoax. That one I didn't have to look up.

I hated chemistry...in high school and in college!

The problem is that you TRUSTED KG to give it to you straight!

I just got one again today about Madelyn Murray O'Hare.....the woman is dead, but she lives on in email panic hoaxes forever!

ChefBeckyD said:
Oh - and another post immediately following my last post.............

.........Ann, did you really think it could be a serious thread when started by the King of Parody & Humor?

Silly me thinking he could be serious!!! That's it KG, no more engineer jokes for you!!!:p

And the Burger King guy...even though he deserves to be run over by the Lunatic Mothers...I am so glad we don't have the older cartoons that were too violent for children on tv!!!

I'm sorry, Ann, but that was the whole point. (Kudos to Becky for either researching this first or recognizing the hoax.) The essay was written by a junior high school student, Nathan Zohner, in 1997. His subsequent research on the statistical outcome of the people who signed his petition proved how gullible well-meaning people can be. 43 out of 50 people signed a petition to ban water and his research won him first prize in a science fair.In recognition of his experiment, journalist James K. Glassman coined the term "Zohnerism" to refer to "the use of a true fact to lead a scientifically and mathematically ignorant public to a false conclusion."So whether it's popcorn poisoning, ethanol, artificial sweeteners or man-made global warming, be sure you know what you're talking about before you jump on any bandwagon.

ChefBeckyD said:

Silly me!!! I am blonde, you know!!! :rolleyes:

ChefBeckyD said:

I just got one again today about Madelyn Murray O'Hare.....the woman is dead, but she lives on in email panic hoaxes forever!

Oh, was it the Focus on the Family one? I sent that back to my husbands aunt with links to Focus on the Family's website dismissing it (figured she'd trust that better than snopes).

I saw the Popcorn Lung and was going to look it up...I suspected that was a hoax. See when I threatened to cut you off from good engineering jokes, you finally showed up!!:D

I haven't been that gulliable in a long time!!

ChefBeckyD said:

That's okay, her kids are just as nuts as she was.

There is even some wild speculation that her kids murdered her and got away with it.

I enjoy pulling this one on people. I've decided it's genetic. My son likes to refer, when speaking to pompous church people, to Revelation 32 and the Book of David. He keeps track of the people who don't know that those aren't in the Bible.

Last edited:
Is the Book of Daniel the history of Boone County?

raebates said:
I enjoy pulling this one on people. I've decided it's genetic. My son likes to refer, when speaking to pompous church people, to Revelation 32 and the Book of Daniel. He keeps track of the people who don't know that those aren't in the Bible.
Tell him to add me to his book and show him my picture!!! I wouldn't have known, but I am not a pompous church person either!! I love this, however. How can you not laugh when they nod and don't correct him!!

raebates said:
I enjoy pulling this one on people. I've decided it's genetic. My son likes to refer, when speaking to pompous church people, to Revelation 32 and the Book of Daniel. He keeps track of the people who don't know that those aren't in the Bible.

??:confused: :confused: ??

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm sorry, Ann, but that was the whole point. (Kudos to Becky for either researching this first or recognizing the hoax.) The essay was written by a junior high school student, Nathan Zohner, in 1997. His subsequent research on the statistical outcome of the people who signed his petition proved how gullible well-meaning people can be. 43 out of 50 people signed a petition to ban water and his research won him first prize in a science fair.

In recognition of his experiment, journalist James K. Glassman coined the term "Zohnerism" to refer to "the use of a true fact to lead a scientifically and mathematically ignorant public to a false conclusion."

So whether it's popcorn poisoning, ethanol, artificial sweeteners or man-made global warming, be sure you know what you're talking about before you jump on any bandwagon.

A little bit of both. I remembered the hoax, but couldn't remember the story behind it. I knew it was on Snopes.com - so I went back to look at it and refresh my memory. It's a fun, albeit slightly scary, hoax. To think that we, as people, are that gullible....

ChefBeckyD said:

The Book of Revelation ends with Chapter 22. I'll corrected the other. It's the Book of David. I'm so used to quoting Daniel that my fingers got ahead of my brain. :eek:

baychef said:
Tell him to add me to his book and show him my picture!!! I wouldn't have known, but I am not a pompous church person either!! I love this, however. How can you not laugh when they nod and don't correct him!!

That's the point. Since you're not one of them, he would never do it to you. :D

baychef said:
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
--Abraham Lincoln​

raebates said:
The Book of Revelation ends with Chapter 22. I'll corrected the other. It's the Book of David. I'm so used to quoting Daniel that my fingers got ahead of my brain. :eek:
That would be the history of Tennessee. The Book of Crockett.

raebates said:

I figured you had just typed in the wrong name....:eek:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
--Abraham Lincoln​

Which I have done on more than once, unfortunately!:eek:

I'm just glad that the first time he told me about it I remembered that there isn't a Book of David and that I had just finished the last book of Revelation, so I was pretty sure there wasn't a 32nd chapter.

Thank goodness there weren't 31 books in the Left Behind series. I almost Left Behind the series after the fifth book because it got so...weird.

My son was commenting on a truck or car...saying that he liked the 2009 rust colored hub caps they have come out with!!! He's always talking motors, etc. but luckily, I was paying attention!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Thank goodness there weren't 31 books in the Left Behind series.

I almost Left Behind the series after the fifth book because it got so...weird.

I think they are still adding books to that series....:D Haven't read one since the 2nd book.

You haven't missed much.

raebates said:
I'm just glad that the first time he told me about it I remembered that there isn't a Book of David and that I had just finished the last book of Revelation, so I was pretty sure there wasn't a 32nd chapter.

I just got back online and did the same thing as Becky and went huh? Daniel is right after Ezekiel in my Bible. :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Thank goodness there weren't 31 books in the Left Behind series.

I almost Left Behind the series after the fifth book because it got so...weird.

Which one did it get weird in? I read part of book 1 but since cramming so many textbooks in my head over the last decade haven't read a book for fun in awhile. DH has read them all...I cheated and watched the movies...

Hey Becky - it's over!
Kingdom Come: The Final Victory
Now availableKingdom Come is the final book in the best-selling Left Behind series. The horrors of the Tribulation are over, and Jesus Christ has set up his perfect kingdom on Earth. Believers around the world enjoy a newly perfected relationship with their Lord, and the Earth itself is transformed. Yet evil still lurks in the hearts of the unbelieving. As the Millennium draws to a close, the final generation of the unrepentant prepares to mount a new offensive against the Lord himself—sparking the final and ultimate conflict from which only one side will emerge the eternal victor.

I've got a set of Left Behind novels, through Glorious Appearing, (13 books) that I'd be willing to sell to someone. The first 4 are soft cover, but the rest are hardbound. If anyone's interested, I'll entertain reasonable offers.

If no one bites, maybe you could donate them to a deserving, small library somewhere.

But I was going to donate the proceeds to the Anti-Dihydrogen Monoxide Foundation! :D

Oh count me in!!!! I would love :love: to donate to such a worthy cause!!! My cat HATES Dihydrogen Monoxide!!

chefann said:
But I was going to donate the proceeds to the Anti-Dihydrogen Monoxide Foundation! :D
Well, consider it dihydrogen monoxide beneath the concrete and steel transportation route traversing structure.

Let's relocate it!

baychef said:
Let's relocate it!

Ann - I am in awe of your ability to combine threads! Quite a weaver you are!:thumbup: :D

Hey, I may be gulliable, but I do excel at a couple insignificant things in life!!!

Technically KG wove them, she just added to the structure. :)

janetupnorth said:
Technically KG wove them, she just added to the structure. :)

He is the master weaver!

baychef said:
He is the master weaver!

No, I don't think the poem refers to KG, but he still ranks pretty high in our books. :)

baychef said:
He is the master weaver!
At least you didn't accuse me of being a fisherman.(Did I just type that out loud?)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
At least you didn't accuse me of being a fisherman.

(Did I just type that out loud?)

You are walking on thin ice now KG.....not water, just thin ice!:rolleyes:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
At least you didn't accuse me of being a fisherman.

(Did I just type that out loud?)

I just couldn't weave that comment in, but it did cross my sick little gulliable mind!! YIKES...I'm thinking like you, KG!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

baychef said:
I just couldn't weave that comment in, but it did cross my sick little gulliable mind!! YIKES...I'm thinking like you, KG!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I was thinking he isn't the master weaver - more like the master debater...

...then realized if you say that really fast...well...:blushing:

<h2>1. What is dihydrogen monoxide?</h2><p>Dihydrogen monoxide is a chemical compound that is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It is often referred to as H2O or water.</p><h2>2. How does dihydrogen monoxide pose a danger to humans?</h2><p>Accidental inhalation of DHMO can lead to severe health issues such as excessive sweating, urination, and electrolyte imbalance. Prolonged exposure to its solid form can also cause tissue damage. In extreme cases, withdrawal from DHMO dependence can result in death.</p><h2>3. What are some common uses of dihydrogen monoxide?</h2><p>Dihydrogen monoxide has a wide range of uses, including as an industrial solvent and coolant, in nuclear power plants, in the production of styrofoam, and as a fire retardant. It is also found in many food products and is used in the distribution of pesticides.</p><h2>4. Is dihydrogen monoxide harmful to the environment?</h2><p>Yes, DHMO can contribute to the erosion of natural landscapes, accelerate corrosion and rusting of metals, and cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes. It has also been found in high levels in bodies of water, leading to contamination and harm to wildlife.</p><h2>5. Why hasn't the American government banned the use of dihydrogen monoxide?</h2><p>The government has not banned DHMO due to its importance to the economy, especially in the military sector. It is also used in many everyday products, making it difficult to completely eliminate. However, there have been efforts to raise awareness about its potential dangers and regulate its use in certain industries.</p>

1. What is dihydrogen monoxide?

Dihydrogen monoxide is a chemical compound that is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It is often referred to as H2O or water.

2. How does dihydrogen monoxide pose a danger to humans?

Accidental inhalation of DHMO can lead to severe health issues such as excessive sweating, urination, and electrolyte imbalance. Prolonged exposure to its solid form can also cause tissue damage. In extreme cases, withdrawal from DHMO dependence can result in death.

3. What are some common uses of dihydrogen monoxide?

Dihydrogen monoxide has a wide range of uses, including as an industrial solvent and coolant, in nuclear power plants, in the production of styrofoam, and as a fire retardant. It is also found in many food products and is used in the distribution of pesticides.

4. Is dihydrogen monoxide harmful to the environment?

Yes, DHMO can contribute to the erosion of natural landscapes, accelerate corrosion and rusting of metals, and cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes. It has also been found in high levels in bodies of water, leading to contamination and harm to wildlife.

5. Why hasn't the American government banned the use of dihydrogen monoxide?

The government has not banned DHMO due to its importance to the economy, especially in the military sector. It is also used in many everyday products, making it difficult to completely eliminate. However, there have been efforts to raise awareness about its potential dangers and regulate its use in certain industries.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Jean DeVries
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • heather9892