• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

ifYou Can/Want to Do Some Good for the Troops

In summary, a chaplain received a request from friends and family to send care packages to troops overseas. If you are willing/able, this is a great opportunity to support the troops. The care packages can be sent directly to the chaplain, and he will distribute them to the troops.
Jean DeVries
Gold Member
Hey all!

I received the following from a friend of mine who is a chaplain in the Navy. If you are willing/able, this is a great opportunity to support the troops.

If you cannot donate at this time, but would still like to contribute, I'll be sending boxes off, and need pictures/drawings from kids. That's the only thing I can't contribute. If you want to have the kiddos draw something and send it to me, I'd be happy to throw them in one of my boxes.

If you belong to a group who may be interested in sending boxes, please feel free to forward to them.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Dear Friends and Family,

Greetings from Kuwait! I sent this same request to many of you and was hoping to complete the process using FB mail. However, I continue to run into technical issues. So I decided to post on my wall. Please click on the title to see the whole post.

I am now four months through a six month deployment supporting the mortuary affairs effort. All of our fallen service men and women from Iraq (and some from Afghanistan) come through the mortuary here before flying back to the States. I am in the room as the remains are opened and processed, offering prayers and a ministry of presence. If you have not already seen it, you can also read an article online to get a feel for what I do at: MILITARY: Two Navy chaplains have very different missions : North County Times - Californian. Another aspect of my role in Kuwait is to track and visit all Marines who come here for medical attention. Pastoral care in this environment has definitely been intense, somber, and challenging; it has also been powerful, joyful, and rewarding. The service men and women I serve – whether patients or staff; Marine, Soldier, Airman, or Sailor; alive or fallen – are absolutely amazing people. I have seen the best in dignity, honor, respect, dedication, and sacrifice.

Now that the major holidays are finished, there is still great opportunity to let our service men and women know that they are loved and remembered. Would you and your organizations (work, school, church, social, and other) please consider and commit to sending care packages? My goal is 600 packages – one for each person I directly serve. That is a big number. I am trusting in God’s abundance and your generosity and creativity. Will you please also forward this on to others who you know would love to serve this way?

What to put in a care package, you ask? I have found that people really like snacks like homemade cookies and brownies, special store bought snacks (fancier stuff), hot cocoa, beef jerky, “good” toilet paper, playing cards, pictures/cards/notes drawn and written by children, coffee, and the like. The only items I have really found to avoid are DVDs and CDs (unless really popular) and magazines. The main rule of thumb is to put together whatever is on your heart. Every person will receive the package that is perfect for him or her.

As for care package size, I normally receive care packages using the US Post Office's “Priority Mail APO/FPO Flat Rate Box”. Information about the box can be found online at http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&productId=36604&langId=-1. This may or may not be the best option for you depending on how much you send and how much each box weighs. I do know that the boxes offer space enough to fit the various items I mentioned.

The care packages can be sent directly to me, and I will distribute them. I am targeting distribution for Valentine’s Day, so they should be mailed no later than February 1, 2009. My address in Kuwait is:
Chaplain Scot Sroka, LT, USN
Patient Administration Tracking Team
MARCENT Camp Arifjan
APO AE 09366

Will you please email me and let me know the following?
- How many packages you are committing to send.
- By what date you will send them.
- You and/or your organizations’ contact information so I can mail an official thank you letter.

Thank you so much for your consideration and support.Thank you also to those who have already responded. If a man is measured by his friends, then I am doing awesome. I am truly blessed!

I hope you have a wonderful, powerful, and happy New Year!

Grace and peace be to you.

Last edited:
My MOPS Group was just talking about doing this. Can we send the boxes to the Chaplin ourselfs, or do they need to go through you?

I've been thinking of doing a fundraiser for our local military support group. I so want to do something. Can you send me your address & I'll see about getting the girls to draw pictures for them?

I had quite the experience on the flight home. As I got onto the plane, there was a soldier sitting in his seat waiting for takeoff. I walked onto the plane & just felt God telling me to talk to him (soldier). I bent down next to him, put my hand on his arm & said "I just want you to know that I thank you and my family thanks you for all that you do for us". He looked at me with a tear in each eye & said, "Thank you, ma'am. Thank you." They need to know that we care & that we appreciate everything that they are sacrificing for us. That moved me in a way like no other.

Crystal Patton said:
My MOPS Group was just talking about doing this. Can we send the boxes to the Chaplin ourselfs, or do they need to go through you?

No, by all means, they can go to him directly. Just send him an email and let him know how many you're going to be sending. His email is [email protected].

Thanks!

Hmmm. I know with the Hickory Farms website offering so much at 75% off and free shipping to APO/FPO addresses I wanted to send some of those to active military members but didn't personally know any. Maybe I could purchase some of those and send them on as well?

What a worthy cause. I'm going to get some boxes together, hopefully soon and will let Scot know how many. For anyone interested, I just ran Scot's name on a search and here is a nice article of some of the work he and another man do. MILITARY: Two Navy chaplains have very different missions : North County Times - CalifornianThanks, Jean, for passing this on. We need to keep remembering all the men and women away from home serving our country! This is an excellent way to give back.

Bumping. This is an important message for all to see. I'm sure others will want to contribute.

That is such a wonderful idea. I wonder if I can send something from the UK. I will find out or see if the UK forces or a charity are running a similar scheme.

KristinS said:
Hmmm. I know with the Hickory Farms website offering so much at 75% off and free shipping to APO/FPO addresses I wanted to send some of those to active military members but didn't personally know any. Maybe I could purchase some of those and send them on as well?

I don't know why not. Drop Scot an email and ask him.

Thanks!!

This is wonderful....but I have to add a practical note.

Could you share a cut-off date for sending this chaplain these boxes? Otherwise, as the email gets forwarded, more time will pass and new folks will send boxes...to the point that he will be gone and the APO in Kuwait will automatically forward all his mail back to his state-side address. Been there and seen it happen...it can become a mess. Or maybe he can arrange an official address to receive these so they can keep on coming.

There's a deadline of Feb. 1, 2009 in his letter. Hopefully people will read that.

I went back and bolded that part....thanks!

KristinS said:

I love this idea! I'm going to see my ladies' Bible study group wants to do something, and might offer this idea on Thursday as an option.

1. How can I help support the troops through Pampered Chef?

One way to support the troops through Pampered Chef is by hosting a "Pampered Chef Gives Back" party. This allows you to invite friends and family to shop for their favorite Pampered Chef products while also giving back to the troops.

2. Can I make a direct donation to the troops through Pampered Chef?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers the option to donate directly to the troops through our website. Simply select the "Donate to Troops" option at checkout and your donation will go towards providing care packages and other support to military members.

3. Are there any specific products that directly benefit the troops?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers a variety of products that directly benefit the troops. Our "Help Whip Cancer" products and "Patriotic Tools" collection both donate a portion of proceeds to military charities.

4. Can I volunteer with Pampered Chef to support the troops?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers volunteer opportunities for individuals or groups to help package care packages for the troops. You can also join our "Pampered Chef for Troops" team to help raise funds and awareness for military charities.

5. How does Pampered Chef choose which military charities to support?

Pampered Chef carefully researches and selects reputable military charities to partner with. We also take into consideration the causes and services that are important to our customers and consultants, as well as the impact and transparency of the organization.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
RebelChef
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • AJPratt
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear