• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Protecting Loved Ones: Check Expiration Dates on Pancake Mixes

In summary, a mother recently received an email warning about the dangers of using outdated pancake mix due to the potential for mold spores to develop. This warning was prompted by a student who became seriously ill after eating pancakes made with outdated mix. After researching the issue on Snopes, the mother discovered that this is not an uncommon occurrence and advises others to check the expiration dates on all boxed mixes, including Bisquick, cake, brownie, and cookie mixes. It is important to be aware of this potential health risk and to take precautions to ensure the safety of loved ones.
ChefPaulaB
I recently received an email with this info in it and I checked it out on snopes.com and it is true. This may not effect everyone here, but it does effect my family... my 3 year old son has a deadly allergy to mold, so of course, this scared me to death! :eek: I was just getting ready to make some pancakes for breakfast and thought I'd try the lg. bar pan recipe with bisquick and realized that my bisquick is old as is my pancake mix. So glad that I read this email! Now I need to find a homemade recipe for pancakes! But it's worth it for my son's well being and my peace of mind!

WARNING IN THE KITCHEN -- Please Read

A student at HBHS had pancakes this week and it almost became fatal. His Mom (registered nurse) made him pancakes, dropped him off at school and headed to play tennis. She never takes her cell phone on the court but did this time and her son called to say he was having trouble breathing. She told him to go to the nurse immediately and proceeded to call school and alert the nurse. The nurse called the paramedics and they were there in 3 minutes and worked on the boy all the way to the hospital. He came so close to dying. Evidently this is more common then I ever knew.
Check the expiration dates on packages like pancakes and cake mixes that have yeast which over time develop spores.

WARNING ABOUT Pancake Mix (and other boxed mixes)
(maybe you already know this, I DID NOT !!) Talk about frightening.
Throw away
ALL OUTDATED pancake mix you have in your home, PLEASE! If yo u don't believe me, read this article and then follow the 'Link' below to SNOPES. Sorry to be the Grim Reaper of bad news, but I would rather have you ALIVE, a $2..00 box of pancake mix is NOT worth your life.

P. S. You might want to tell this to your children, grandchildren, nephews, nieces and anyone else who keeps pancake mix in the cupboard.
From Snopes: cause of death due to anaphylactic shock reaction to molds. I recently made a batch of pancakes for my healthy 14-year-old son, using a mix that was in our pantry. He said that they tasted 'funny,' but ate them anyway. About 10 minutes later, he began having difficulty breathing and his lips began turning purple. I gave him his allergy pill, had him sit on the sofa and told him to relax.
He was wheezing while inhaling and exhaling. My husband, a volunteer Firefighter and EMT, heated up some water, and we had my son lean over the water so the steam could clear his chest and sinuses. Soon, his breathing became more regular and his lips returned to a more normal color. We checked the date on the box of pancake mix and, to my dismay, found! it was very outdated. As a reference librarian at an academic institution, I
have the ability to search through many research databases. I did just tha t, and found an article the next day that mentioned a 19-year-old male DYING after eating pancakes made with outdated mix. Apparently, the mold that forms in old pancake mix can be toxic!

When we told our friends about my son's close call, we were surprised at the number of people who mentioned that they should check their own pancake mix since they don't use it often, or they had purchased it some time ago. With so many people shopping at warehouse-type stores and buying large sizes of pancake mix, I hope your readers will take the time to check the expiration date on their boxes. Also, beware of outdated Bisquick, cake, brownie and cookie mixes.

This is a serious matter and I hope your readers will pass this on.I am so thankful that I checked the expiration date on my pancake mix, and that I had my cell phone with me when I left to play tennis. My son is doing well now and I am forever grateful for the quick response of the paramedics.

Thank you for sharing this important information. It's scary to think that something as innocent as pancake mix could potentially be harmful. I will definitely be checking the expiration dates on all my baking mixes from now on. It's always better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to our loved ones' health. I hope your son is doing well now and thanks again for spreading awareness about this issue.

What is the importance of checking expiration dates on pancake mixes?

Checking expiration dates on pancake mixes is important because expired mixes may not produce the desired fluffy texture and may also contain harmful bacteria that can cause food poisoning.

How can I tell if my pancake mix has expired?

You can check the expiration date printed on the packaging or look for signs of spoilage such as a strange odor, discoloration, or the presence of insects.

Can I still use pancake mix after the expiration date?

It is not recommended to use pancake mix after the expiration date as the quality and safety of the product cannot be guaranteed. It is best to discard the mix and purchase a fresh one.

How should I store pancake mix to prolong its shelf life?

Pancake mix should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat sources. It is also recommended to keep the mix in an airtight container to prevent moisture and pests from entering.

Does freezing pancake mix extend its expiration date?

Yes, freezing pancake mix can prolong its shelf life. However, it is important to note that the texture and quality may be affected after thawing, so it is best to use the mix within a few months of freezing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies
Views
whiteyteresa
  • Dawn4
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies