• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Avoiding Order Confusion: How to Handle a Payment Mix-Up with Customers

In summary, Alana's husband tells her that the customer's bank told them the check was post-dated for the 30th, but it cleared on the 29th and caused her a $35 overdraft fee. Alana is considering giving the customer a choice between a free product or the money returned.
PCGirl77
I just got my kit yesterday and I have a problem already.

I sent a catalog to work with my husband last week to start collecting orders for me. He told them they could wait til 9-30 to pay since that is payday. He brought me 2 orders and 1 check last Friday. Earlier this week, I took the first check to the bank and deposited it. I didn’t want to lose it around the house. I calculated the tax and shipping on the 1 that was not paid for and sent it to work with him on payday.

Today my husband tells me that the first check was posted dated for the 30th, but it cleared on 9-29 and caused the customer a $35 overdraft fee. I didn’t even look at the date on the check!!! My husband didn’t tell me to hold it. He’s telling me that she says she told him to hold it but he doesn’t think she did.  The point is, he’s telling me to make this right because this is his co-worker. And I think it’s just good customer service to fix up the mix up anyway.

This is the question, what do I do? Do I give her $35 to cover the fee along with my apology and explanation that I’m a newbie and I’ve learned an important lesson? Help!! I hate to lose $35 on my first order, but I don’t want a bad name.

I wouldn't give someone the $35 back. You can not write a post dated check to any other business. You can not go to the grocery store and say let me post date my check. BUT since your husband is feeling like the middle man and it is his co worker, I might consider offering her free product as good customer service. This way you will make your commission back.

That's a tough one ---
I personally might give the customer the choice: either a) 35$ shopping spree -- you pay for it (at least you get the commission and sales points); or b) if you feel like it offer to pay the fee...
Mistakes happen!
I've generally tried to absorbe any mystakes that I make :)
Not sure if that's good or bad -- but it's what I do...

I completely agree with Alana - a sincere apology, and offer a choice of free product or the money returned.

If you can possibly make a show out of this, then maybe that free product won't end up costing you very much!

Thanks for the good ideas. I would rather giver her $35 in free products. I'll see if she's receptive to that.

Officially, post-dated checks are illegal. It's considered fraud to write a check for which one does not have the funds at the time the check is written. If the customer couldn't pay for the items until the 30th, then she should have held off on getting you a check until then.That said, it's sweet of you to offer something to make it up to her. I'd almost wait until she mentions it, though, instead of just offering it to her up front. If she runs her household on that tight a shoestring, then she's gotta be used to covering overdraft fees. Was she the person who pointed out the overdraft? If she didn't notice it, then why cost yourself $35 if you don't have to?

Oh, I knew nothing about it until she brought it up. She approached my husband at work and asked him why I cashed the check before the 30th. She says she told him to hold the check. He did not tell me to hold the check. So really this is all my husbands fault, but it looks like it's my fault.

Technically, for banks, if it was after 3pm on the 29th it would be the 30th.

I'm kind of shocked that the bank took the check. They are supposed to do their review before they accept it. My bank goes through each line & does a check mark next to each line as they verify the info. They verify that it's written to me, that the date is not in the future, that the number & written amount match (one didn't yesterday!), that it's signed by the customer & that I endorsed the back.

Did the check bounce? Or does she have overdraft protection and that was a "fee" for going over? If it bounced & you get it back in your hands, I'd take it up to the bank & complain to a Manager. Ask what their policy is on accepting checks. I'll bet the teller was supposed to verify that the date was not a future date. If so, they might re-imburse you the fee for the customer. Can't hurt, right? ;)

Aha!! I have duplicates on my deposit slips. I dated the deposit slip 9-29 and I know I went through the drive thru between 12 and 1 because I was at lunch. The lady took the check and the deposit slip and gave me my receipt.

The check didn't bounce, I'm assuming she has overdraft protection and that was the $35 fee. The check posted to my account on the 29th and she says it cleared her bank on the 29th.

I may still call my bank and ask them what their policy is on accepting checks. Then I will see if I can get a copy of the deposited check. Then I've got them caught red handed. I will then make an appearance at the bank with the info and the copy of the check. And if they don't give me the $35, I will karate chop them!! Oh, I guess I better not do that last part.

All I can say is, lesson learned.

When I worked at the bank it didn't matter when the check was dated we could deposit it. Obiviously if its postdated then its probably for a reason, but the bank can still take it and deposit it if you submit it. The bank is going to tell you it is not there problem and it really isn't. We would usually glance through the checks and make sure everything looked ok, but we never did what Shelia's bank did it just wouldn't have been time effective for us. It is the customers responsibility to make sure all the information that needs to be on the check is.

1. How do I handle a broken product during a cooking demonstration?

If a product breaks during a cooking demonstration, don't panic. First, apologize to your guests and assure them that you will take care of the situation. Then, contact your Pampered Chef consultant or customer service for assistance with replacing the broken product.

2. What should I do if a guest has an allergy or dietary restriction?

If a guest has an allergy or dietary restriction, make sure to have alternative options available for them. You can also suggest alternative ingredients or ways to modify the recipe to accommodate their needs. Always prioritize the safety and comfort of your guests.

3. How do I handle a difficult customer during a party?

If you encounter a difficult customer during a party, it's important to remain calm and professional. Listen to their concerns and try to find a solution that satisfies both parties. If necessary, involve your Pampered Chef consultant for support in resolving the issue.

4. What should I do if a guest cancels last minute?

If a guest cancels last minute, don't stress. Use this as an opportunity to reach out to other potential guests who may be interested in attending. You can also offer to deliver the party host's order to them separately, or suggest having a smaller, more intimate gathering with the remaining guests.

5. What is the best way to handle a guest who is not interested in purchasing anything?

If a guest is not interested in purchasing anything, don't pressure them. Instead, thank them for attending and offer to stay in touch for any future parties or promotions. You can also ask for their feedback on the products or party, as this may provide valuable insight for future events.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedberry
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedberry
  • jimgass
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • chefsteph07