• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with a Returned Check: Tips for Handling Difficult Customers

In summary, the customer's check was returned, and she called to apologize but didn't follow up after that. The host reached out to her to resolve the issue, but the customer was unyielding and refused to pay the $12 bank fees or return the products.
linojackie
I posted a week or two ago about having a customer with a returned check. Well, I called her and left a nice message saying "I need to talk to you about your order" so as to be tactfull. A week later no call, so I call her again and say "I need to talk to you right away to resolve the check that you wrote that was returned to my bank". She calls back when I am out and my daughter tells her to call back later. She didn't. 3 days later I call her again. This time I reach her. She has the everloving NERVE to tell me that it's my fault and if I was a better consultant (and she used those exact words), I would have deposited her check sooner and that wouldn't have happened. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I stayed professional and pleasant despite her rudeness. I kept telling myself she was just embarassed because the bounced a check and that's the reason for the attitude. So she tells me she will be "the good person" and pay my $12 bank fees, but that she doesn't want the products anymore. I have a feeling I'll never see the $12, but what do I do about the products? I don't need them, and could probably use the $45 towards something better, so can anyone give me some advice or insight?

Sorry for the rambling and thanks for reading!

Send the products back and get the money back. Take the $12 from her for the returned check fee that she owes you for her mistake. Say goodbye.

Does the host have the products? I would go to the host and just explain the issue at hand, and say you need to return the products so you can get the reimbursement. That's all---the guest wants to play games? Well, not with you!

Now, if she has the products already, that's another issue.

Take the advice from the others who posted...good advice! Denise :)

thats why I have all checks written to the host (seriously, they aren't going to write their friend/sister/neighbor/coworker a hot check, me suzy consultant who they may never see again yep!! it might happen.)
I put the show on my PC Visa & let the host deal with the checks. plus I HATE going to the bank and I prefer to do as little as possible so i'd rather keep up with payments from 5-6 hosts a month than 100+ checks

Teresa - then if the host check bounces you have lost it all and she has the products. It is just scary either way. I Love the charge cards!!

That's true and probably a better idea!

1. What should I do if a customer's check bounces?

If a customer's check bounces, the first step is to contact them and inform them of the situation. You can politely explain that the check was returned due to insufficient funds and ask them to provide an alternative form of payment. It's important to remain professional and understanding during this conversation.

2. Can I charge the customer a fee for the returned check?

Yes, you can charge the customer a fee for the returned check. However, make sure to check your state's laws and regulations regarding bounced checks and fees. Some states have specific guidelines for how much you can charge for a returned check.

3. What if the customer refuses to pay the fee or provide an alternative payment?

If the customer refuses to pay the fee or provide an alternative payment, you can choose to take legal action. This may involve sending a certified letter or using a collections agency to collect the payment. Again, make sure to check your state's laws and regulations before taking any legal actions.

4. How can I prevent bounced checks in the future?

To prevent bounced checks in the future, you can implement policies such as requiring a credit card or cash payment for all orders, or using a check verification service. You can also be proactive by monitoring your bank account to ensure that checks are clearing before fulfilling orders.

5. How should I handle the customer's order if their check bounces?

If a customer's check bounces, it's best to hold their order until the payment issue has been resolved. You can communicate this with the customer and offer to hold their items for a certain amount of time while they arrange for an alternative payment method. If the customer does not make payment within the designated time frame, you can cancel the order and restock the items.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• linojackie
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
linojackie
  • 3girls
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
  • lisasfuncooking