• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Internet Trolls- How to Spot One, and What to Do

In summary, trolls are cowards who post to get an argument started, then sit back and count the responses. If you see a post that is repetitious or off-topic, or that seems to be troll-like in nature, be sure to respond.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
Thanks to Janet's post in response to my post in response to a resident trouble maker on the thread http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/ot-use-your-gift-cards-36694/ - I decided to look up the definition of Internet Troll, and felt compelled to share what I know. The only way to beat a troll is not by solving a clever riddle- it's by ignoring them- the best way to do that is to put Kspry on your Ignore list. To do that- ask one of us how, or visit the thread that KG wrote here- http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/hitc...ss-unofficial-new-users-guide-list-faq-32274/

What Is A Troll?
The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

Why do trolls do it?
I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?

Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!).

How can troll posts be recognised?
No Imagination - Most are frighteningly obvious; sexist comments on nurses' groups, blasphemy on religious groups .. I kid you not.
Pedantic in the Extreme - Many trolls' preparation is so thorough, that while they waste time, they appear so ludicrous from the start that they elicit sympathetic mail - the danger is that once the group takes sides, the damage is done.
False Identity - Because they are cowards, trolls virtually never write over their own name, and often reveal their trolliness (and lack of imagination) in the chosen ID. As so many folk these days use false ID, this is not a strong indicator on its own!
Crossposting - Any post that is crossposted to several groups should be viewed as suspicious, particularly if unrelated or of opposing perspective. Why would someone do that?
Off-topic posting - Often genuine errors, but, if from an 'outsider' they deserve matter-of-fact response; if genuine, a brief apposite response is simply netiquette; if it's a troll post, you have denied it its reward.
Repetition of a question or statement is either a troll - or a pedant; either way, treatment as a troll is effective.
Missing The Point - Trolls rarely answer a direct question - they cannot, if asked to justify their twaddle - so they develop a fine line in missing the point.
Thick or Sad - Trolls are usually sad, lonely folk, with few social skills; they rarely make what most people would consider intelligent conversation. However, they frequently have an obsession with their IQ and feel the need to tell everyone. This is so frequent, that it is diagnostic! Somewhere on the web there must be an Intelligence Test for Trolls - rigged to always say "above 150"
I Recommend
Kindle: Amazon's N…
Amazon
$399.00
Take a look at Amazon's amazing new reading service - …
Privacy

Who is at risk?
Any newsgroup, bulletin board, forum or chatroom can attract trolls, but they don't have the brains to attack nuclear physicists, and they are drawn to the quick response where sex, religion and race are found; so politics is easy prey.

One troll famously tried to infiltrate a mensa group; the results read like 100 trolls and one regular, it didn't have a chance - but it was stupid enough to persist until removed.

When Should You Be Concerned?
Usually, no, though fractured funny bones and occasional waves of nausea have been reported.

When a troll become persistent and personal, you may need to consider the possibility that it has fermented into an Internet Stalker - equally pathetic, if not more so - but sometimes requiring weedkiller. Find Out More

Trolls - if they had brains, they just might be dangerous!

I respectfully add that one adds to their "power" when one quotes them in their own posts/responses. Everyone can see the quote, even those who have the person on ignore.

Very good point! Thanks for adding that...

phew! Glad I missed the drama, again!

amy07 said:
phew! Glad I missed the drama, again!

Not really drama- and I know in responding to her, I just gave her what she was looking for, but IMHO it was a good response. I decided that every time I see one of her posts, I'm going to report it to Admin Greg. That's what that little triangle with the exclamation point is for under someone's screen name! :)

But if anything, you just missed out on someone being a twit! :) LOL

PSA: Be sure to heed the signs before you cross the bridge:DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
PSA: Be sure to heed the signs before you cross the bridge:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

LOL- I wanted to go back and change the title of my thread to say it was a PSA, but I can't.

Too funny. For a minute I thought Janet was calling her a troll, but then I realized that she was defining her as an internet troll, so I did a teeny bit of research and am now versed in how to avoid trolls!

Admittedly, it still feels good to crack one over the head now and again...

Kitchen Diva said:
LOL- I wanted to go back and change the title of my thread to say it was a PSA, but I can't.

Too funny. For a minute I thought Janet was calling her a troll, but then I realized that she was defining her as an internet troll, so I did a teeny bit of research and am now versed in how to avoid trolls!

Admittedly, it still feels good to crack one over the head now and again...

ROFLOL! ...and about busting a gut!!!! :D

You really think I'd flat-out call someone a troll - thanks for the laugh!

No, she and a few others on here have been very troll-like. I often thought of posting a variant of that troll information but always refrained, figured sometimes they are best left alone. Like KG said, "Don't feed the trolls"

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7782/feedtrollsf1.gif

But, this time I couldn't help pointing it out...basically I think trolls have personal emotional or social issues of some sort that normal society shuns but on the internet they are free to cause trouble without much punishment so they do!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
PSA: Be sure to heed the signs before you cross the bridge:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

What does PSA mean?

This all reminds me of that children's story... and having to solve the riddle before going over the bridge.

pampermejolene said:
What does PSA mean?

This all reminds me of that children's story... and having to solve the riddle before going over the bridge.

Public Service Announcement

Janet- I promise to never feed another troll. like I said- I felt compelled to reply to her troll bogey's and I will never do it again. :)It was very liberating.

And that is why I was so surprised at first. I'm like "Wow, Janet called someone a name...that is so unlike her" Then I re-read what you posted and realized you were saying she was an internet troll. That was my "Ah-ha" moment! LOL

You guys just tickle me! ROTFLMAO :D I elected to follow your advise...don't feed the throlls...ignore the trolls...but man THAT one is venomous!

The iggy button is your friend.And if you don't want to use the iggy button, then just
2-2.gif

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The iggy button is your friend.

And if you don't want to use the iggy button, then just
2-2.gif

Hehe Yep, used my iggy button for the first time...hoped I wouldn't have to but I can't promise to
2-2.gif
so better safe than sorry.;)

kathijenkins said:
Hehe Yep, used my iggy button for the first time...hoped I wouldn't have to but I can't promise to
2-2.gif
so better safe than sorry.;)

I was using my iggy button, but gave into the dark side, and then saw her post and like I said I gave into the dark side...don't judge me- they have cookies over there and I have a weakness for cookies. Anywho- I gave in and had to say something. From this point forward, I'll not be tempted by the cookies, or her drivel.

I need to start refusing to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person!

Kacey - thanks for being both informative and humerous! I learned something and had a good laugh at the same time.

Kitchen Diva said:
I was using my iggy button, but gave into the dark side, and then saw her post and like I said I gave into the dark side...don't judge me- they have cookies over there and I have a weakness for cookies. Anywho- I gave in and had to say something. From this point forward, I'll not be tempted by the cookies, or her drivel.

I need to start refusing to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person!

Cookies?!?:eek: I want cookies!!:cry: No...must not cross to the dark side...bad cookies!!:mad:

I think I battle wits with unarmed people daily so don't feel bad!;)

kathijenkins said:
Cookies?!?:eek: I want cookies!!:cry: No...must not cross to the dark side...bad cookies!!:mad:

I think I battle wits with unarmed people daily so don't feel bad!;)

It is my new mission in life to not battle them- it's very tiring and it leaves me susceptible to the dark side and their tempting cookies!:D

Kathi - is that really your cat or just a picture you found? I'd be mad too if someone did that to my hair! LOL

Maybe I should try that...then I won't want those yummy cookies! :D But at least I learned a troll is something other than those ugly little things with the crazy hair.;)

Last edited:
pamperedlinda said:
Kathi - is that really your cat or just a picture you found? I'd be mad too if someone did that to my hair! LOL

Nope, not my cat...my cat would beat me up if I did that to her. :D I actually found it on the internet & use it for my myspace pic when my darling boys start driving me batty.:blushing:

We have cookies over here on the good side, too. Hey, Kasey, nice way to carry the Star Wars theme through, too. :) BTW, if you want to extend your video-thon, watch Spaceballs after you're done with the 6 SW movies. :)

Ya know what Ann - DH laughs at me, but I have NEVER seen Star Wars!

Mmmm...cookies...got milk, too? :D BTW my DH thinks I'm nuts (he should know by now I am) talking about the dark side, cookies & trolls. haha

pamperedlinda said:
How is that even possible? My DH can recite the dialog to the original 3 along with the movies, even the parts in made up languages.

pamperedlinda said:

OMGosh....really?!?!??!?!!!! You must see them! I'm a Star Wars freak! We are on the last one now!

Geeze Ann, he really is a geek! LOL

kathijenkins said:
Mmmm...cookies...got milk, too? :D BTW my DH thinks I'm nuts (he should know by now I am) talking about the dark side, cookies & trolls. haha

We are nuts! :) The troll in the Harry Potter movie was big and ugly not little...maybe there are more than one kind?

I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!" And I thought it was soooo funny. It stuck with me, so I use it here and there- like in this thread that I have started AND hijacked. LOL

DH knows better than to try and follow what we are gabbing about on here. I think it might give him a headache. I don't ask questions about his Goldwing motorcycle boards and he doesn't ask questions about my CS board! LOL

Linda, I've never seen them either!

Actually, I saw a little bit of the first one - when it was re-released in the theater, but I fell asleep when missed most of it.

chefann said:
How is that even possible? My DH can recite the dialog to the original 3 along with the movies, even the parts in made up languages.

I've got the Princess Bride memorized! I can remember quite a bit from the Star Wars movies, but I don't have it memorized. Your DH is cool!

You have seen the pic of him in his Halloween costume, right?http://www.michiganlcoc.org/gallery/albums/Halloween2005/res916962406.jpgAnd the caption on the club site is. "I always have coffee before radar," which is a Spaceballs reference.

ChefBeckyD said:

Actually, I saw a little bit of the first one - when it was re-released in the theater, but I fell asleep when missed most of it.
Yeah, I'm not alone! (and in good company I might add)

pamperedlinda said:

:eek: How can that be? Sadly (and much to my DH's pleasure), I've seen all 6 more times than I can count...but in my defense, I live in a house full of boys so I don't stand much of a chance since my cat & I are the only girls.:cry:

I remember that picture Ann. Darth Vader - right? (okay, if I'm wrong go easy on me)

Kacey, here's a t-shirt for you: http://www.noisebot.com/come_to_the_dark_side_we_have_cookies_t-shirt

ChefBeckyD said:

WHAT?!?!?!?!?! You fell asleep? Seriously? How could you fall asleep? I can understand falling asleep during a movie like Hope Floats or the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, or a PSA on Global Warming, but this is Star Wars.... Harrison Ford is in these films Woman! Pull yourself together, get some Mountain Dew, and take some No-Doz and pull up a chair and watch them! :0

(I'm just playing with you a bit!) :D

chefann said:
Kacey, here's a t-shirt for you: http://www.noisebot.com/come_to_the_dark_side_we_have_cookies_t-shirt
I WANT it! I have the Empire's Theme song on my cell phone. I'm a Starfreak...I was gonna say trekkie, but that's another time, another place, another star date....

Is there a name for Star Wars groupies?

ChefBeckyD said:

Funny! Back in the 80's a date took me to the movies to see 2001 Space Odysey and I fell alseep too! It was one of those $1.00 movies that was in a club type setting and they served beer and pizza. zzzzzzzzzz boring!

chefann said:
You have seen the pic of him in his Halloween costume, right?

http://www.michiganlcoc.org/gallery/albums/Halloween2005/res916962406.jpg

And the caption on the club site is. "I always have coffee before radar," which is a Spaceballs reference.

Is that your DH? Cool!!!

(I still prefer the good guys by the way)

Kitchen Diva said:
WHAT?!?!?!?!?! You fell asleep? Seriously? How could you fall asleep? I can understand falling asleep during a movie like Hope Floats or the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, or a PSA on Global Warming, but this is Star Wars.... Harrison Ford is in these films Woman! Pull yourself together, get some Mountain Dew, and take some No-Doz and pull up a chair and watch them! :0

(I'm just playing with you a bit!) :D

Well, in my defense - it was the first day it was re-released, and I was with a group of friends. The movie started at midnight or something like that, and we waited in line for hours to get tickets. By the time we got our seats, I was exhausted. Then, they turned out the lights. They probably could have set off a bomb in the theater, and I would have slept through it!

And I did get a lot of harassment from my friends too!:rolleyes:

The Imperial March is DH's theme, too. I found a free ringtone, but can't download it to my phone, because I don't have a data plan. Drat. DH got to meet John Williams a couple of weeks ago and got his autograph on his original SW soundtrack booklet.

We've done the midnight movie thing, too. You KNOW you're in a crowd of geeks when they cheer the Lucasfilm logo before anything even starts! :D

ChefBeckyD said:
Well, in my defense - it was the first day it was re-released, and I was with a group of friends. The movie started at midnight or something like that, and we waited in line for hours to get tickets. By the time we got our seats, I was exhausted. Then, they turned out the lights. They probably could have set off a bomb in the theater, and I would have slept through it!

And I did get a lot of harassment from my friends too!:rolleyes:

LOL- obviously not enough harassment if you are still able to talk about it without running for shelter! (I'm totally kidding-) I get a little punchy when I watch Star Wars. And in my defense we watched the first (last) triolgy yesterday and are on the final one now- as soon as we finish supper. I should go see if it's ready to eat and go and finish this movie.

I think we'll finish the night with a tribute to Indiana Jones...

Kitchen Diva said:
We are nuts! :) The troll in the Harry Potter movie was big and ugly not little...maybe there are more than one kind?

I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!" And I thought it was soooo funny. It stuck with me, so I use it here and there- like in this thread that I have started AND hijacked. LOL

DH knows better than to try and follow what we are gabbing about on here. I think it might give him a headache. I don't ask questions about his Goldwing motorcycle boards and he doesn't ask questions about my Chef Success board! LOL

Remember these? Although the one in HP was definitely big & ugly. ;)
troll2.jpg

I don't think DH will ask me again what we do on here.:D He did say he thought it was all about PC...I told him he was sadly mistaken, it's takes on a life of it's own.;)

pamperedlinda said:
Um, yeah.....geeks! LOL

Ummmm I don't think so! :D

geeks are computer people.

sorry chefann! (DH is a computer geek)

Kitchen Diva said:
[/B].....I think we'll finish the night with a tribute to Indiana Jones...
Another series that I haven't seen :eek: (I'm ducking for cover right now!)

Kitchen Diva said:
[/B]

LOL- obviously not enough harassment if you are still able to talk about it without running for shelter! (I'm totally kidding-) I get a little punchy when I watch Star Wars. And in my defense we watched the first (last) triolgy yesterday and are on the final one now- as soon as we finish supper. I should go see if it's ready to eat and go and finish this movie.

I think we'll finish the night with a tribute to Indiana Jones...

Ahhhhh - now you're talking my language!:love:

I can hardly wait for the new one!

ChefBeckyD said:
Ahhhhh - now you're talking my language!:love:

I can hardly wait for the new one!

Me toto! gotta run, supper is ready!

(he's 65 in the 4th film, but still looks yummy to me!)

pamperedlinda said:
Another series that I haven't seen :eek: (I'm ducking for cover right now!)

omg.gif
LOL That's currently the 5 y/o's favorite! I seriously need more estrogen in this house...
help_sign.gif

1. What is a troll?A troll is someone who posts messages on the internet with the intention of causing disruption, upset, or insult to a group or individual. The term comes from the fishing technique of trailing bait in hopes of getting a bite.2. Why do trolls do it?Trolls may do it for a sense of power or control, to feel like they are part of a strong or successful group, or simply because they are lonely and want attention.3. How can troll posts be recognized?Troll posts are often obvious and may lack imagination, be pedantic, use a false identity, be cross-posted to multiple groups, or miss the point of the conversation. Trolls may also have an obsession with their own intelligence.4. Who is at risk of being targeted by trolls?Any online group or community can attract trolls, but they tend to go after topics like sex, religion, and politics where they can get a quick response.5. When should you be concerned about a troll?Trolls can be annoying and disruptive, but they generally don't pose a serious threat. However, if a troll becomes persistent and personal, it may escalate into internet stalking and should be addressed accordingly.
1. What is a troll?A troll is someone who posts messages on the internet with the intention of causing disruption, upset, or insult to a group or individual. The term comes from the fishing technique of trailing bait in hopes of getting a bite.2. Why do trolls do it?Trolls may do it for a sense of power or control, to feel like they are part of a strong or successful group, or simply because they are lonely and want attention.3. How can troll posts be recognized?Troll posts are often obvious and may lack imagination, be pedantic, use a false identity, be cross-posted to multiple groups, or miss the point of the conversation. Trolls may also have an obsession with their own intelligence.4. Who is at risk of being targeted by trolls?Any online group or community can attract trolls, but they tend to go after topics like sex, religion, and politics where they can get a quick response.5. When should you be concerned about a troll?Trolls can be annoying and disruptive, but they generally don't pose a serious threat. However, if a troll becomes persistent and personal, it may escalate into internet stalking and should be addressed accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC
  • SummerG
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies